• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #7 - Siege Weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
If that guys only goal in life was to break walls, then he might qualify...
Any way, I got a couple more WIPs even though I only need 1 of, I like showing my work take shape...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 282
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 260
Level 21
Dio, I forbid you to use that model for this competition xD It looks too much like my abomination chemical sprayer :p

Anyway, I'll just say what I'm doing. It's nothing special, though. I'm making a Dawn of War pack for this competition, I guess, with various siege units like the Dreadnought, Defiler, Basilisk, Krootox (I'm going to have something besides the basic turret on it, maybe a plasma gun), etc.

I wanted to make it a surprise because I wanted me first WIP to have a defiler rip up a peasant :D

Would I be allowed to make a pack?

Level 9
i might enter would a kodo edit with wheels as his back legs and a cannon ontop and other stuff count as a siege wep?

Level 4
yeh I've dropped that rocket launch thingy

so I kinda decided on doing some sort of siege set

with these on the list

2 types of Siege Towers - 1 orcish/savage looking and 1 more human looking..

you'll see..

and a variant of a catapult thats more fitting for Humans..

now I've done a Siege Tower before, but I lost it already, and this one I'm making is for the contest..

edit: now siege towers don't really deal damage to the buildings, does it still count?

Attachments

• rwae.jpg
    rwae.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 231
Level 21
Looks nice so far, skrab, but I have one suggestion... Maybe add an ice troll or any other icey creature operating it? (maybe add a little platform dug in the back) Because catapults, in reality, don't fire themselves, and there really isn't any manned catapults around. IDK, it may look ugly, but it's a suggestion. If you did, you could take the low-poly goblin from the goblin shredder, or make the critter yourself

And yeah, renders are your friend

Level 11
I think I've finished the mesh for the Strider. Now the hard parts come... texturing shouldn't be that bad, but I'm gonna have to experiment to get a nice walking movement for him.

Attachments

• strider2.JPG
    strider2.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 256
Level 21
Teh editz

Now I have completely finished the model. I didn't add in much, but meh

I use milkshape to animate

attachment.php

The two planes shaped like a + at each gun are going to be the little blast that shows when it fires

Xatoga, the beginning of this shows them walking http://youtube.com/watch?v=mrxCOMofhUU&feature=related and the actual fight shows various other movements

Also, examine the tripods in War of the Worlds for some more tripodal walking movements

Here's some weird tripod thing walking

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t9_5KViwonw

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Those models made from scratch are great! What do you guys use to animate them? I can't find anything....

I use 3ds max for everything. It's the ultimate tool.
Nice stuff so far people. I'm not really into futuristic things, but these work nice.
I'm going to make a concept after I finish my Last Man Standing (http://www.lastmanart.com/) entry tonight and then start modeling.

Level 21
Allright, I'm entering this contest with a GRUNTAPULT!
It's a grunt that carries a launching mechanism over his head, and... yeah.
It's gonna be cool:

I have an idea similar to that, if you want to keep the same kind've concept. Have a tank that looks somewhat like the siege engine, and have an orc head at the front of it (with its horns pointing forward) with a cannon coming out of its mouth (spell?) and a spoon at the back that launches sheep (normal attack?) :p

Here's a crappy little concept I made as fast as possible. It's not supposed to be good at all, just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking of

attachment.php

Attachments

• CrappyOrcCatapultConcept.jpg
    CrappyOrcCatapultConcept.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 319
Level 34
That thing would kick ass. It look like a demonic catapult so you should make it shoot peasants or footmen or something. Maybe slightly altered footman.

Level 19
I have an idea similar to that, if you want to keep the same kind've concept. Have a tank that looks somewhat like the siege engine, and have an orc head at the front of it (with its horns pointing forward) with a cannon coming out of its mouth (spell?) and a spoon at the back that launches sheep (normal attack?) :p
LOL XD LOL .............

Level 22
Wtf Said anything about a spoon??

My Gruntmolisher has a demolisher part.
Imagine a battle going wrong and the siege unit dying.
Then imagine a brave grunt Improvising.
That's my unit.
Will start on the UV mapping and touch-ups to the model soon.
(Yes, the artillery piece falls on him on death)

Attachments

• Gruntapult.jpg
    Gruntapult.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 246
Status
Not open for further replies.