• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #8 - Cavalry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
modelingcompetition.gif

Modeling Competition #8!

Contest Theme: Cavalry

Each contestant must create a cavalry unit. This means a humanoid unit riding another unit. This can range from horses to motorcycles to dragon riders. Let your creativity flow!

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. The model must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you ASAP as to avoid confusion.
  3. Must contain at minimum the following animations, the rest is up to you:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Portrait Animation (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
    • Must Decay in some form or another! (This means it can be built into the death animation, dissipate, or decay, but no mesh may be showing at the "end of death" of the unit.)

4. You have to make sure the model is fully and correctly functional in-game.
  5. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  6. You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  7. To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  8. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  9. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
  10. Please PM your FINAL model to me once you are done. This makes it a lot easier for me to pick out the finished models from the WIPs.

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 50 reputation points and a special award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for mesh (verts and faces)
      • 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
      • 10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
      • 5 points for mechanics (how good does this model look ingame)
      • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, effect geometry, etc.)
      • 5 points for creativity.
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Final Score = Judge's Score + (votes/(total votes))*50 = (score)/100

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 1 month after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on March 10th, 2008 and conclude on

April 10th, 2008 0:00 AM, GMT

Last edited:
Level 9
i wanna join >< i got the coolest idea but im using 3ds 9 and dont know how to convert it to a wc3 model and how to animate it =p

Level 9
heres my wip its a mechastrider if u havnt noticed... also i need some1 to point me into the direction or how to rig and animate models for wc3 as well as exporting them into mdx's from 3ds 9

mechastriderwip.jpg

I have two ideas but I don't know which I shall choose for this compo.

1. A goblin riding some kind of a tauren-like robot. Base model would be the Tauren and the totempole thingy would be used as a cannon.

2. A Shroomian "Harlequin Magi" riding on a horse-like creature (a little taste from my race wip). The reason I would name it "Harlequin Magi" is because of the wizard's scary make-up and his abilities to cause fear to enemies. Base model would be the Bandit Mage since I want this character to be a standard unit than a hero.

I'll use model edit because I still have to learn about scratch animating for Warcraft III.

Inferno, I don't think you can export animated models from 3D Studio Max 9... I use it, but I have a computer emulator("VM Ware") on my computer with 3D Studio Max 5 installed, you may take a guess yourselves to why I can't have those licences on the same computer... I just make the model and add the bones(I use the "Hedra" shape for that) and export it as a ".3DS" and import it to 3D Studio Max 5 on my computer emulator and animate it there, then export it normally with "Wc3 Art Tools". Dex Exporter script may export some animations, but they're kinda bugged sometimes...

BTW: The mechstrider of yours looks very nice!

Level 35
Of course, I will enter. And to everyone, until further notice all requests are canceled! This way I haz timez to workz on mah secret project!

THE ELVES SHALL RISE ONCE MORE! VENGENCE FOR THE HIGH ELF CAVALRY WHO WAS LONG AGO LOST IN THE GRAVE OF BUGGING HELLS! MAY ILUVATAR SHINE UPON ME WITH EYES OF VICTORY!

-Elenai the High King of the Noldor-

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
There's nothing wrong with demons riding each other.
Take for instance the dreadlords and their mounts: the dreadsteeds. Both are demons, and one rides the other. Just like a human and a horse, simple as that.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see what HT's mind has given birth to...

Status
Not open for further replies.