1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Mini Mapping Contest #17 - Bossfight Creation (Optionally Paired)

Discussion in 'Contest Submission' started by Leods, May 21, 2020.

?

Wich requirements should we add about required patches?

Poll closed Sunday at 8:43 PM.
  1. Non-Reforged, any patch

10.0%
  2. Reforged, last patch

5.0%
  3. Any patch and version

35.0%
  4. Non reforged, last patch

35.0%
  5. Non reforged, minimum patch (1.28, per example)

15.0%
  1. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

upload_2020-5-21_11-19-56.jpeg
    The contestants must create one, and only one, team boss fight where 3 players needs to take down a boss. The boss must have two (or more) phases, and the contestant needs to make exactly 3 classes for the 3 players. The boss fight arena should be beautifully terrained, and be as immersive as possible.

As guidance, it might be useful to read this bossfight tutorial (credits to @Asomath):
    Creating a Bossfight
    This idea was created by @FeelsGoodMan , I am just posting it

[​IMG]
    • Submissions must follow the contest theme.
    • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Teamwork is allowed, with a max of 2 (can be changed) participants per group. (physically working on someone else's entry).
      • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
    • Post 2 WorkInProgresses (WIP) in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
    • The submission must be posted in the (Maps | HIVE) map section, before the contest ends.
      • The resource description must make it clear it's a submission from the respective contest.
    • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
    • Judges may not participate.
      • Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
      • Finding voice actors, or testers to test multiplayer mode isn't considered as teamwork, and is allowed.
      • The map must be playable in battle net. (current max map size is 256MB, for example)
      • Using imports is allowed as long as it follows Resource Submission Rules (Models, skins, icons, spells).
      • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

[​IMG]
    • 1st place: 50 reputation points
    • 2nd place: 35 reputation points
    • 3rd place: 20 reputation points
    • Entry: 5 reputation points
    • Judge: 10 reputation points
    The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.
    [​IMG]
    • Judge 1
    • Judge 2
    • Judge 3

[​IMG]

Important: Being this a different idea, it requires a focus on some specifical areas of the gameplay, terrain and execution. That means the general areas have a reduced relevance, being they only include every aspect who isn't covered by the mentioned factors in "Bossfight quality"
    Theme How well does the entry conform the contest theme? Was it an enjoyable experience? Was the boss fight as a whole interesting and well made? /10%
    Gameplay The fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player?
    e.g. Are the spells satisfying, is there replayability, is the plot compelling, ...? Is the boss fight unfair for the player?
    /10%
    Bossfight quality Lot of relevant areas at a bossfight creation:
    • Boss fight mechanics. Were the boss fight mechanics incorporated well? Was the boss fight interesting? Did you have to think, and cooperate to beat the boss or could you just auto attack it to death? 10%
    • Synergizing classes. Did the 3 classes synergize well? Were the spells well thought out, and fitting in the boss fight, or did it just seem like 3 classes were randomly made with some weird, random spells? 10%
    • Terrain and boss fight arena. Was the boss fight arena well made, with cool doodads, immersive weather and generally pleasing visuals, or was the arena a bland no-brain terrain with one tile all over? 5%
    • Performance. Are the triggers/code well written with little to no leaks/bugs? Does it run smoothly, or does it lag due to poor triggering/coding? 10%
    • Sounds. Are you using boss sounds when certain events happens, or when the boss casts certain spells? Is the music fitting and captivating? 5%
    • Last but not least; Was it an enjoyable experience? Was the boss fight as a whole interesting and well made? 10%
    /50%
    Aesthetics Is the map visually appealing? How polished are the details, such as preview pictures, title, in-game text, icons, and interface? /5%
    Triggers Does the map run well performance-wise?
    Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, etc.
    /10%
    /70%

[/table]

• Judgement: 70%
    • Poll: 30%
    FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

[​IMG]

The contest shall begin on 1 of June of 2020 and conclude on 3rd of July of 2020 at 00:00 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: < Staff member >

The Poll | Results

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you're interested, just write it down here. I'll create the participants table soon...

3. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Looks nice, I'll probably participate, but I think you should add these as the contest judging criteria;

• Boss fight mechanics. Were the boss fight mechanics incorporated well? Was the boss fight interesting? Did you have to think, and cooperate to beat the boss or could you just auto attack it to death?
    • Synergizing classes. Did the 3 classes synergize well? Were the spells well thought out, and fitting in the boss fight, or did it just seem like 3 classes were randomly made with some weird, random spells?
    • Terrain and boss fight arena. Was the boss fight arena well made, with cool doodads, immersive weather and generally pleasing visuals, or was the arena a bland no-brain terrain with one tile all over?
    • Performance. Are the triggers/code well written with little to no leaks/bugs? Does it run smoothly, or does it lag due to poor triggering/coding?
    • Sounds. Are you using boss sounds when certain events happens, or when the boss casts certain spells? Is the music fitting and captivating?
    • Last but not least; Was it an enjoyable experience? Was the boss fight as a whole interesting and well made?

Can't I team up with anyone?

4. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ohh, sorry, I copypasted most rules :D. I will ad an optional paired, and try to add these criteria.

Edit: Solved, now there is new judging criteria, and the contest is optionally paired.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  5. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Also you should establish what version we should make it in. Since this is a team fight it should be possible to host it on battle.net, which means the latest version should be required. That, or the players will have to resort to simulated LAN. Another alternative is using an older version that is compatible with Gameranger, but then we won't have native fullscreen and many other things.

6. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That is a good point. Anyway, there are lots of ways to play mutliplayer, even if it isn't global (local area and other stuff) with old versions.
    By other way, It's impossible to play maps created in old versions by battle.net? I don't really know, being my wc3 has falled into the deep sands of forgotten years ago.
    I don't think we can make people use Reforged (or refunded, whatever), even if it's main and theorical quest is being played online (at this point, most contest are suffering to adaptate themselves to this dual warcraft).

7. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You can't play maps made in newer versions with an older game client (or at least in most cases). Also, maps made in pre-1.32 will look quite bad in 1.32 due to rendering differences and so on. There are a lot of compatibility issues to take into consideration so it would honestly be best to just go with the latest version. Not necessarily Reforged, only the latest version.

8. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm not really sure, just i don't have enough information about patches (honestly, I didn't take any care before Reforged), so i think this would be better to decided for the community and possible participants. Also, that allows me to post a Poll :D.

9. Veronnis

Veronnis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    hmm. I'm pretty much out of this kind of stuff since the EULA thing, but this is small enough I might join anyway. I may not compete for first place, but an entry could be fun :)

10. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As someone who still want to use reforged I would like to be able to use it in contests.
    I also think it is smart to not limit patches because we want as many entries as possible.

For that reason, voting for any version and any patch.

edit: I realize this is a pain in the ass for judges. But I see this as pretty much required if you want more than 3 entries. I happy to be wrong about that tho.

11. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There isn't many days for the poll.
    If the results are any patch and version (just supposing to see all the possible participants), who is interested in participate?
    Anyone can join any time after the start of the contest, anyway.

12. AGD

AGD

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Isn't it good to allow a three-man team for this?

I can imagine them working in 3 distinct areas:
    - Aesthetics (Terrain, model/texture edits, camps and minion placements, map layout)
    - Gameplay (map and boss fight mechanics, ai, cinematics and sounds, etc.)
    - Character Designs (heroes and the boss, and their abilities and synergies)

13. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'll most probably join in if it's approved.

14. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey guys. We'll need two judges before the contest can start. I'll reach out to some people.

15. Ungoliath

Ungoliath

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm very interested in joining as a contestant. :)

16. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That would be helpful for the division, but I think it will greatly reduce the time of work work for the team, and create a Big gap between teams and alone-participants. Also, I don't see this contest as hard to require that amount of participants (as the hero creating contest, with 3 participants teams, that included icon and model creating, original and equilibrated spells, etc) being It requires domain over as much areas as the last mini-mapping contest.

17. AGD

AGD

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Makes sense

18. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Mythic I guess the contest will start once we have judges)?
    With that, will the deadline acquire extensions each day?

19. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, the start date will be put on hold until we have two judges.

20. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Welp, not pretty great in boss fight judging, so I rather be a contestant to be honest.