• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Map Making Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
@normalice
I'd say the more the better but I think that's good enough.
@Erkan
I think it's ok to add you in the contest but next time please ask me first. Although I like to hear a word from our judge about this.
This contest is our first time to set up and this is really an experimental event. But since our purpose here is to encourage people in joining, I don't really see the harm in that...

Level 28
No real update to show right now aside from doing remixer's suggestion of putting a cliff and hiding it with doodads for my custom cliffs. A little tricky to do since I already putted some doodads but it turned out fine.

@Ken-E

We should let people who wants to compete to join. Nothing wrong with that aside from giving PKcrafty more maps to review!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Melee Map Type

After a very interesting debate on Filmtings Glade map.

If you read through the long chat and discussion on how to rate and review melee maps you can see that we could not fit on the same boat. So that is why I am here.

After I read through Filmtings tutorial on how to balance a competitive melee map I got to the conclusion that there is very different kind of melee maps.

As we have a judge who is, as far as I know, very competitive melee player. So I'd like to ask if the contest entries get scored. I know that there is information on the start post of this thread but it still seems very unclear.
I'd like to ask if it's possible to seperate terrain and "balance/layout" from eachother as they are two totally different things.

Also, does including custom made stuff such as custom made creeps and doodads increase the originality and such. As competitive melee maps do not have things like that.

I would also like to ask how strongly the judge rate terrain, balance and so on. Does the map have to fit to the competitive category or is it free melee map contest?

Level 5
If you use custom resources, and they do not affect the gameplay mechanics (make the game unbalanced in some form) you will be awarded more originality and more terrain points possibly as well. This contest is a free melee map contest, you can choose to use custom resources, or choose not to. You will be awarded more points if you can make the custom resources work by not affecting overall balance. I will see if I can make the criteria better.

Although I can see that they are conflicting, I will try my best to be fair in judging with the use of custom and non-custom resources.

Level 5
So you want to know if it's a competitive melee map contest, or a best terrain/layout showcase? I'd say both, yes.

Level 32
Wow, because of my embarrassing 5/5 mistake, I was happy to see a full on friendly debate instead of flaming. Anyway, I absolutely agree with: "If you use custom resources, and they do not affect the gameplay mechanics (make the game unbalanced in some form) you will be awarded more originality and more terrain points possibly as well."

Do we need other views (as in other judges) on this subject since PKCrafty may be biased? Of course not, he has the guidelines of how it should be judged. I would like to thank you all for making an interesting melee focused past few days on Filmting's Glades' map, I've learned a lot.

Sincerely
-SCN

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Well he did say it was a bit more focused on gameplay, but it is always. The debate was if the small details, like having trees near a creep camp, fountain of health creeps, amount of critters is are in a major role of the contest.

As I understood it, you can make a competitive melee map and it gets rated, however you can also make your map's terrain more appealing and present something that breaks the competitive melee map requirements.

However I understood it so that if you make the "Blizzard" terrain you won't get as many points on that section as if you make a really outstanding terrain. However it's up to the judge to decide.

Level 15
@Shadow Fury
Already added you to the contestants, hope to see your work anytime soon. :)

@normalice
I actually thought I cleared that out and then that happen. Well, there are a lot of people using custom terrain and doodads to create their maps, so let's face it, it is indeed far more attractive than an average vanilla melee map. Although let's also not forget that it's vanilla in Warcraft 3 for terrain advantages such as the infamous Blizzard cliffs. While my statement is somewhat already said in a different way, it's not really what you can put different stuffs such as imports in your map or how 'classic' is your map is but it's all about the overall execution I suppose.

Level 13
well, I don't really know how to do imports, which are kind-of a basic requirement for a flashy looking map. I was under the impression that that wasn't really to be a significant part of the judging criteria.. If I was mistaken, that's a pretty big handicap I'm working with. So, since there has been a rise in participation anyway, if you'd prefer I just remove myself from the contest I don't mind :)

Level 5
normalice, if you think you do not stand a chance because you're not using costume resources, don't. If you can make your map well balanced, and have a superb terrain, among other things, you stand a chance against those that use costume terrain. The people using costume terrain take the risk of making the game unbalanced, but if they can execute it well, and solve the issues they will encounter, then they will benefit from it.

So you could say not using costume resources is safe,
and using them is risky, but comes with big benefits if the overall balance is fine.

Level 5
Oh, no I didn't sorry, but I just checked your WIP now.

So your map is unbalanced in a couple different areas, one being that there's not much wood at starting locations, yes you put a lot in the corners but it is impractical to harvest wood from that far. So this map favors night elf, since wisps do not destroy trees when harvesting, and undead is really screwed since it needs blight to build on. I highly suggest adding more wood at the starting location since it is hurting the balance of the game from the lack of wood.

Level 5
Oh, no I didn't sorry, but I just checked your WIP now.

So your map is unbalanced in a couple different areas, one being that there's not much wood at starting locations, yes you put a lot in the corners but it is impractical to harvest wood from that far. So this map favors night elf, since wisps do not destroy trees when harvesting, and undead is really screwed since it needs blight to build on. I highly suggest adding more wood at the starting location since it is hurting the balance of the game from the lack of wood.

Secondly, the cliffs on the outside of the starting locations need fixed, they are imbalanced. Siege units could devastate the opponents base sitting below the cliffs where I made the red circles. (Especially flying siege units, such as chimeras with corrosive breathe upgrade)
k4Kd8p8.jpg

A possible way of fixing this is extending the base height that way, and making tall cliffs. Add some rocky doodads or something of the sort to have it blend in with the atmosphere.

Level 13
cool. thanks. FYI those are (dense) canopy trees at the starting locations - about 4k lumber or so - more than enough to hold one over until a lumber mill/warmill/graveyard can be comfortably placed elsewhere.

I'll work on the cliff thing, though I don't quite understand the imbalance? I mean, obviously it inhibits ground forces, but isn't that a problem that both players have to deal with equally, regardless of race? You mentioned chims - the only thing that really protects chims from enemy aa is the panda, which will have problems fending off enemy aa over a cliff.

But, like I said, I'll work on it anyway..

Level 1
How to join the contest? Is it just posting "I want to join!"?

Where to make the map presentation?

Pls help!

I want to join this contest!!!

Level 1
<Ken-E>
Oh, ahha. Thank you for helping me about those questions ;-)

I hv done some parts and screenshots will be posted as soon as possible, maybe it's next day?

It's happy to see mapmakers here ;)
PS: I havent meet a war3 mapmaker in my life...

Level 7
Hi. Another WiP from my work:

230313-albums6576-picture91409.jpg

Except for the creep camps and some minor terrain modifications, I think this map is almost done (Or at least it won't change that much). So, if I must have one tip for one of my WiP, I think it should be for this one.

Level 4
Is it permissible to add triggers and custom units (creeps) as long as the Melee balance is not violated?

Level 3
I rlly like this.....i rlly do.... but my maps aren't under 5 MB, not even close :(
Dnt get me wrong they're not large scale, it's just warcraft 3 skirmish same as the ones we've played since ever, just alot flashier and more...elaborate, detailed :D I rlly wish there wasn't this limit, I'd be the first to toss my hat into that ring if that were the case :D

Level 5
I will be updating the criteria soon, it will not affect how your maps are in anyway. I just want to make it more clear, for there is really no category for balance to judge for current criteria, so I will be adding Overall Balance. Will update when have time with description and what not. No need to be alarmed, just letting you guys know.

Level 15
@Erkan
Nice work! Although would change small letters to capital ones, it should be "The Drowned Kingdom"

Also here is my map, http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=eqwt09
I will be posting mine at the map section after judging is done. I'm currently working on merit badges for the winners and probably for the judge too. :)

Happy mapping guys!

EDIT: Here's a preview of our winner and judge banners, not there are not yet final and I was thiking of resizing them since they feel too big :/
169218-albums3218-picture91694.jpg

169218-albums3218-picture91693.jpg

Level 14
HEEELLOOO, all done with mine now too : ).

here is the link to it: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/haunted-pumpkin-forest-259357/

and there is a lot of info and picks there too!

GL and HF everyone, had a great time myself. : D

P.S. I made a few models for the map but its the map that is being judged not them, so just don't mind them! ^_^ (also uploaded them if anyone wants to use them for any reason)

Level 14
If you look a few posts back on page 9 I posted 3 Wips but I will gladly re-post them. : )

WIPS:

ProgressScreenshotOne1_zpscae2f3cb.png

ProgressScreenshotTwo2_zps3f220df9.png

ProgressScreenshotThree3_zps8509d14c.png

In addition to those i also save a In case version of my maps every 1-3 hours so I have around 20 between versions of the map I can share or go back to ^_^, just let me know if you need more proof : D! thanks

Level 5
Hello there, I will begin judging the uploaded maps soon, as I believe I can do at least one tomorrow, maybe two. Will keep you updated on progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.