• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Medieval Villagers 1.09 by Shooterman56

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
You live in a dangerous medieval province and you decide to leave everything behind to embark on a epic journey full of friends, enemies and opportunities. History is in your hands, what path will you choose? Will you be a deadly thief, a noble, the next king or a mighty hero?

Added Ruined City of Runestone
Reworked Triggers for optimization
Added new items for Adventuerer's Guild members
Added Village Drunk, early game melee unit (no upkeep cost)
Removed Upkeep cost on Dog units
Added 'throw rock' ability to son and daughter units.
Added Trading Cart, 4 inventory slot unit that can carry trade goods for you
Removed Pack Horse Unit
Added Work Horse Unit, 6 inventory slot unit with a speed boosting aura.
Increased sight radius at night for Trading Cart and Pack Horse.
Added trader's boots to Merchant, grant temporary speed boost. Players who pick trading profession now spawn with these boots.
Increased the number of seeds the farming profession starts with.
Worker units can now mine from ore veins using pickaxes.
Added throwing rocks to the environment to help players fight off wildlife in the early game.
Updated hints
Added -name (new name here) and -stables command
Changed Icons for several plants.
Added price for trading goods in their home market in tooltips.

Overworld Objectives
Dark forces have overrun the southern town of Runestone with only a small garrison of soldiers holding the hordes back. Push the undead back to whence they came, or give in to darker forces...

View media item 121870View media item 121869
  • The Southwestern mountain has been redesigned entirely. It now houses a slew of criminal activity including a black market and a slave auction. You can also find a merchant and a herald further down the mountain. A hungry giant will also take some lumber off of your hands. Two of the three paths to this camp are guarded by powerful creeps with unique drops.

• A large swath of the Capital City has been redesigned to incorporate an Arcane University. Its halls contain unique items that heroes can use to further their destructive power. Don't mess with the Archmage, he packs quite the punch!

• The Northwestern corner of the map has been redesigned to include an Empire prison camp, a mine, and a shipyard. The mine contains all types of ore, however it is overrun with Kobolds. The shipbuilders are looking for lumber so they will take it off your hands at a good rate. The Orcs housed in this prison camp will eventually play into an adventurer quest line, but for now they simply harass the guards and protect their gold hoards.

• North of the capital a lumber camp has been overrun by a Druid. Fight your way through his minions to claim bundles and bundles of lumber as well as a new source of selling your own stock of lumber
Dungeon Updates

• New ice themed dungeon, melt your way though the icy depths for an ancient and powerful weapon..
  • Updated Spider dungeon reward to pet spiders.

General Creep Camps

These have been added mainly as a method of gaining experience and giving some more variety for late game shenanigans. Some of these camps may hold unique prizes for those who can best them...

Unique Regional Stores

To increase the immersion of the trading profession, I added unique shops to each starting region. Ideally, traders will barter with players to bring them unique items from across the map. These items should also help adventurers fight through hoards of enemy soldiers. The items found in these shops require balance changes to get the up to bar with the current power level of other factions.

• South - Wildman Trader
  • Capital - Magi Quartermaster
  • Northwest - Sea Captain
  • Northeast - Dwarven Carava
Regional Changes
Each of the starting areas has seen slight cosmetic changes, as well as a slew of balance changes. Starting zones outside of the capital have been given access to more industries to help boost periodic income. Banks, mercenary camps, and markets have been added to all regions that did not have them previously. Each of the starting zones have also been given a powerful Empire hero to help defend them from rebels and beasts. Each of these units drops a unique item.

New Units

• Trading Cart: Ferry your trade good to and fro with this cart, be wary of bandits raiding it for your valuables.
  • Village Drunk: All great armies have to start somewhere... you can train this unit at your hut. Early game unit meant to help you fight back against the wild life. This unit has no upkeep costs.
  • Tracking Owl: Great for mapping out the movements of enemy units in the late game, high vision range and mobility.
  • Chaplain: a basic healing unit, this spell caster can be added to your armies to provide support to your troops. Can only be found in the slave auction or as a drop from some creep camps.
  • Giant Spider: a unique unit available to Adventurers who best the Spider Dungeon. Has Poisonous attacks.
  • Dog: Man's best friend, can only be acquired by killing and leashing stray dogs in the wild. Has Track animals, sniff, and bash.
  • Riding Horse: The riding horse can help get your units across the map at a much quicker pace, a great addition for the trading profession. You can find the stable master by using the -stables command.
  • Work Horse: This beast of burden is great for ferrying your crops to the market or helping your armies march. Has lightened load aura, increasing attack speed and movement speed.
Other Changes
  • When the King dies fog of war is removed from the map. This is in a bid to disincentivize potential King killers from hiding from other players.
  • Added Pillage and Contract Killing ability to most combat units to incentivize player combat. Can be researched at your tent.
  • Purchasing Settlements has been temporarily disabled for bug fixes.
  • Worker units can now mine from ore veins using pickaxes.
  • Dialog rewrites and general bug fixes
  • Ship Transport System
  • Balance Changes for unique shops, especially the Magi Quartermaster
  • Giving each guild a unique shop
  • Re-balance power level of different paths
  • Re-balance Adventurer path so that it grows in power in ways besides buying tomes.
  • Giving each unique region shop a mercenary unit, especially siege units so that other paths can seriously threaten landlord walls.
  • Adding an Orc quest line, rewarding control of unique and powerful Orc units
  • Adding an Undead quest line
  • Adding a Mage quest line
  • Add unique drinks to each region that act as single cast buffs

Original Version: Medieval Villagers 1.08d + Open Source version

Sulfar
MeteORA
Kuhneghetz
karland90
kellym0
darkdeathknight
TLI-Inferno
eubz
takakenji
Miseracord
!!GORO!!
InfernalTater
skrab
bisnar13
chilla_killa
GiFun
Rondo
olofmoleman
Illidan(Evil)X
Kitabatake
stonneash
Yayoi
Mr.Bob
Mike
Chriz
HappyTauren
Sunchips
Cavman
Graber
Himperion
Wandering Soul
darkdeathknight
Sellenisko
RightField
JesusHipster
RusUndead
Shadow_killer
Amigurumi
~Nightmare
PeeKay
KelThuzad
Stanakin Skywalker
NFWar
The Panda
Ribenamania
Jo27killed
Pvt.Toma
Fan
Epimetheus
Xeldarith and Kain
Skipper
Tranquil
RPG Villager
Chriz.
Lord_T
Yayoi
imforfun
HammerFist132
General Frank
ThatGuy43
Markos3520
olofmoleman
MassiveMaster
Kaitech[SanD]
.KC
Bribe
FrIkY
Blood Raven
Uncle Fester
Astaroth Zion
Direfury
Talavaj
Grey Knight
Matarael
And Blizzard entertainment

Note: If your name doesn't appear in the list and I used your resources contact me and I will add you to the list
Contents

Medieval Villagers 1.08e Open source (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Alongside the original and write a credits list. This helps: Resources in Use by Medieval Villagers 1.08e Open source | HIVE There are a lot of names to write. Awaiting Update. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand...
deepstrasz
Why does the filename have a "1." before the actual name? Play music using the other trigger so it won't pop out through the sound channel. Unit training does not look like a passive ability even if it is. You could make the icon so with this: Button...
noob2
I have a question about the map: What is the counter against a player without villager that kills the king then destroys the crown?(there is nothing killable that ends that player unless you start killing all he owns which can be extremely long if it...
Well then, here goes my review for this. My rating for your map is 3/5 and vote for Needs Fix. Check this out : EmberCraft ARPG v0.10.773 for some inspiration. It's my favorite RPG map for Warcraft 3. Improve what must be improved and I will change...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Add your name to the Map's name to avoid confusion.
Alongside the original and write a credits list. This helps: Resources in Use by Medieval Villagers 1.08e Open source | HIVE There are a lot of names to write.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 5
Changes made, please let me know if there's anything else. Thanks :)

Alongside the original and write a credits list. This helps: Resources in Use by Medieval Villagers 1.08e Open source | HIVE There are a lot of names to write.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Why does the filename have a "1." before the actual name?
  2. Play music using the other trigger so it won't pop out through the sound channel.
  3. Unit training does not look like a passive ability even if it is. You could make the icon so with this: Button Manager v1.8.2 Same with building description.
  4. The Stock Exchange items don't have the values needed to acquire them in their descriptions.
  5. It's annoying that if the inventory is full you can't access things like properties and stuff. Might want to make them rune items for ease of use.
  6. The well starts healing even if it is not completed yet.
  7. So, only the hero is affected by hunger?
  8. Also annoying that you can't select the backpack with the shops...
  9. The map is a bit laggy for some reason. You might want to fix the leaks.
  10. Workers can't mine? Nothing drops when they are attacking the ore vine with pickaxes.
  11. Some items like pumpkin, carrot and cabbage have the same icon. Try finding proper ones.

All in all seems to be working. You could have made more new stuff and make some use for ships to actually be suitable for travel.
I want most leaks fixed. The game shouldn't be lagging at all not to mention from the start.

Awaiting Update.

Level 5
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. I'll get working and tweak the next release to address most of the issues raised.

The leaks should be easy enough, plenty of resources on the forums.

• Why does the filename have a "1." before the actual name
  • So, only the hero is affected by hunger?
  • You could have made more new stuff and make some use for ships to actually be suitable for travel.

Awaiting Update.

I numbered the file name for ease of access, not really essential.
What are your thoughts on unit hunger? I had the feeling it might be a bit much having to access the hunger of armies and workers in the late game without aoe food items.
I knew I forgot something in the planned updates, seems only logical seeing as the shipyards are units in and of themselves. Any thoughts on the balancing for costs/method for transporting armies?

The pack horses can't carry TRADE GOODS, that's the reason why the horses exist.

Yeah it always seemed a bit weird, a holdover from the original version. Initially I had given traders riding horses from the start, but it wasnt very good for balance. At this point i think i will split the pack horse into a trading unit, and a general pack animal to help with farming and such.

Addition to other changes: retreat system removed due to confusion of new players and unintentional aggression of guards.

Level 5
I have a question about the map:
What is the counter against a player without villager that kills the king then destroys the crown?(there is nothing killable that ends that player unless you start killing all he owns which can be extremely long if it is a landlord who spammed buildings and army)

"What are your thoughts on unit hunger? I had the feeling it might be a bit much having to access the hunger of armies and workers in the late game without aoe food items."
Since soldiers have wages it makes sense they do not need food.(they are probably supposed to use their money to have food and other stuff)

Landlords can have insane income by spamming war taxes and having a worker busy decorating at the same place over and over as you can destroy decorations without any problem.

Also picking the farmer option at start is less efficient for farming than picking the option "I will decide later" because with the latter you can buy the farmer tools then buy 3 melons which are better than lower level plants.

Thieves can lag the game to death with bandit tent spam once they got a good income from properties, missions and farming.(and possibly wood cutting too since wood cutters have a 0 apm cost once they are launched) the reason why bandit tent spam lags so much is that somehow bandits costs a lot of calculations periodically(probably the landlord research system)
Personally I have no idea how a landlord could counter the tsunami of bandits a thief can make if that thief tries to.

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Well then, here goes my review for this.

full

My rating for your map is 3/5 and vote for Needs Fix. Check this out : EmberCraft ARPG v0.10.773 for some inspiration. It's my favorite RPG map for Warcraft 3. Improve what must be improved and I will change the rating and the vote as well. :)

Level 5
My rating for your map is 3/5 and vote for Needs Fix. Check this out : EmberCraft ARPG v0.10.773 for some inspiration. It's my favorite RPG map for Warcraft 3. Improve what must be improved and I will change the rating and the vote as well. :)
I think there is a misclassification issue: it is not a classical rpg it is a life of a peasant map.
And I also have seen rpgs based on having a ton of stuff to do with no global plot (such as 99.9% of the mmorpgs and many sandbox rpgs but in the latter category there is often as many possibilities to change the world as possible(such as going around and killing people and seeing that when you kill people the population lowers and seeing that when there is no town guards left bandits and opportunists try to benefit from the chaos and so on) and/or incentive for making interactions between players).
In life of a peasant maps the role-play is supposed to come from the initiative of the players and not forced on them by a plot from which they can not deviate.(the latter is classified in role playing games but is not where role playing games started)
It just happens that here there is an ending condition which is rare for loap maps but otherwise it is not based on a single scenario because it is a sandbox.

Of course we could add some more complex scenarios but in a sandbox you would be frustrating the players which know which is the assassin when you do an investigation plot(because you would need to script the assassin to be immortal or else you can just forget there is a plot and the player will go straight to the assassin and kill it) and there is tons of plots which simply does not works more than once because in a sandbox people except to have freedom and directly try do the right thing rather than being forced to follow some enforced scenario.
So there is still complex scenarios which could be added to a sandbox but they need to be gigantic flowcharts with many possibilities or to arise physically from interaction between the actors of the plot.

And yes I like sandboxes which adds interactive scenarios but whenever the mapmaker feels like making one or not is up to him.

Level 1
Im a bit of a noob and im not sure how to go down the lich path, if someone could inform that would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Level 1
Is the Thief guild working?
Is there a way to get perks (skills) about being Adventuring?

Level 1
Can i have a complete guide or tips and tricks for this map... i think its a good map but im kinda a noob hahahaha

Level 1
I have the issue that if my save file bigger 10.5 mb, i got CTD when i loaded that saved. Don't know if my WCIII 1.29 got some issue or not?