• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

KoW 4.0c Reforged Edition

Reactions: deepstrasz

KING OF WAR

INTRODUCTION

King of War, or KoW, is a Hero Arena that I developed 11 years ago and that, recently, when buying Warcraft Reforged, I redid several drastic changes, which made the map much more fun to play. I think the several years that have passed have given me a good amount of maturity to understand what's cool in a game, lol. I honestly think you should give it a chance.

Obs: The map that was originally posted in this link (https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/kow-2-4b-a-version.228260/), could not be updated, because I lost my password.

WHY SHOULD I PLAY?

That is a slightly different Hero Arena, as the object of the game is not just to kill, but to help your king win the war of kings.

War of Kings happen every time slot. Until then, you must develop your hero by farming, and preventing your enemies from developing theirs by killing them.

The whole game is designed to have a fast mechanic. Low spell cast cooldowns, low mana cost, and short deactivation abilities, teleports all over the map (except directly to base).The game has a Duel system, which takes place 2 minutes before the battle of the kings. When the battle of the kings begins, the kings leave their bases, and go to the center.

Kings battle each other. At this time, the ideal is that the whole team will help you. However, this is not always the best. And that's where a bit of strategy comes in.Sometimes, a hero who is weak will not do anything to help in the battle of the kings, as he will easily be destroyed by the enemy team.

Since the game happens very fast, using this time to continue your farm will be more beneficial to the team, as it will be stronger for the next battle of the kings.The battle system of the kings, the ease of movement on the map, and its small size compared to other well-known arena heroes, are all features that encourage combat between players.

The map also has some quest systems, which makes it more complete, and with more purpose.

SOME CONSIDERATIONS

Honestly, I'm finding the map really fun, and I believe, in my heart, that they should give it a chance :D. Unfortunately, I won't be messing around with the map much anymore, as these big changes I made were just for the temporary fun of programming in World Edit.

Well, while I'm excited to code, I'll keep balancing heroes and implementing new features. Hero balancing in particular is difficult to do since apparently not many people are playing warcraft today, or at least want to play a new game.I will also implement a kind of courier, or a chest, similar to the one in the angel arena, to send the items.

Anyway, I left the map open-source, for anyone who wants to make any changes and updates.

CREDITS
Game Creator: Mustredi (or VictorHungria).
Helpers in 2011: Hammud and BBrutal (who helped me in 2011).
Code: Mustredi (or VictorHungria).
Heroes: Mustredi (or VictorHungria).
Icon and Models: Kuhneghetz; Stanakin; 8512590215848; CRAZYRUSSIAN; kola; The_Silent; The Panda; Illidan_09; Mr.Goblin; bigapple90; L_Lawliet; JetFangInferno; DexterFstone; Tranquil; alfredx_sotn.

IMAGES

263094-a482c23e0e366c576267eee968f6f9dd.jpg
263127-550206d67e2d953c2392fe2d75aadc2a.jpg
263128-6c0ee920ad8013ae009b970b3009c547.jpg
263095-2a2f4c28ab40a0ee0217383b8360b36f.jpg
263096-e119380acd4869b4e0aa6c8267f9b7cf.jpg
263086-cc03bd0ce73567a0e0f9de1386e84d12.jpg
263089-272ba038eed18672ca7d4c96f0639cef.jpg
Contents

KoW 4.0c Reforged Edition (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Some heroes don't have glow. It can simply be added: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling Some descriptions don't mention what values the hero gets each level for instance Tanker only says it gives defense points. Should look at the original game's...
Level 3
Unfortunately, there is a lot of desync problem when game starts, for reasons I don't know what. This problem is old and I already broke my head 10 years ago to try to solve it. I remember that even though I deleted all the triggers, it still gave the error. Well, this is a very annoying detail, but the map is still valid, I think. I'm trying to figure it out again.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A credits list in the map description with the names of the authors whose resources you've used is mandatory. That includes models, skins, icons, custom spells, systems. Also, sounds, music and everything outside this site.
This helps you with the models, skins and icons from Hiveworkshop: Resources in use by KoW 3.2b Reforged Edition
You can also upload your map here to generate a list: Asset scanner

Please hide the screenshots for ease of scrolling under hidden/spoiler tags.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 3
I did the changes that were requested.

I also made a big update on the map now. I probably won't change anything else on the map (mostly due to desync problems).

As I said on the description page, I left and will leave the map with the open code, because I hope that people will play with it, learn what they have to learn, fix what they have to fix.

To open the map, you'll need a piece of GUI code extension (don't know what to call that).

Unfortunately, I don't know who the creator was. I got them from a forum that no longer exists, 10 years ago.

You can download this extension here:

Attachments

• UI v1.01 (1).rar
    161.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Some heroes don't have glow. It can simply be added: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
Some descriptions don't mention what values the hero gets each level for instance Tanker only says it gives defense points. Should look at the original game's ability tooltips and learn from them or even be more detailed if possible. Battle Cry also says nothing about the damage it does or stun duration. Actually Call the Soldiers doesn't say more than the number of soldiers. Learn about tooltips:
  1. Tooltip Tutorial
  2. Creating Good Descriptions
Some things have the same icons. For instance Tanker's=Helm of Battlethirst's.
When accepting the diplomacy quest, the other enemy side still has its buildings invulnerable and its towers don't attack. Troops keep instantly reappearing on death too. Basically you have to run to the enemy king to kill him.
Tauren Orc King's selection circle is too small.
No idea why you have to wait in fog of war confused before the hero selection zone gets visible, while the night elf/orc zone can be seen.

Overall, a nice arena map but with few custom gameplay mechanics, mostly using basic abilities.

Approved.

Level 3
Good afternoon! Thanks for the review. I had never noticed that glow. Indeed, it makes sense. About the skills lacking details, that's true. The truth is that this would be a lot of work, and I decided not to pay more attention to the map, to focus on other projects, outside of W3, mainly because of the game's bugs and the lack of players. Only about the troops and the towers I need to emphasize that they really shouldn't attack, and the troops should keep spawning, as they serve as a farm area. For the rest, I agree.