Kill the Beast (v2)

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

WELCOME TO KILL THE BEAST!

ABOUT KILL THE BEAST:

Welcome to Kill the Beast, a Short Campaign Map that serves as a prelude to my future Campaign Map project titled Villager's Adventure. This map is a prologue to a much longer story and is on the shorter end because of that. Do note that there is not much story to the Prologue other than Main Character has to defeat an Enemy, so don't look to much into it.

Kill the Beast is my first complete Campaign Map using various Triggers to familiarize myself with them. I am still learning so all advice and criticisms on how to improve my map making are welcome. For now I think I made a passable Demo for a much larger narrative.

KILL THE BEAST STORY:

You are a hearty Villager called Some Guy from the Realm of Ordania. Some Guy is a courageous and determined Villager that when called to action always comes through in the end, even against the odds. One day a couple of Ordanian cave explorers are attacked by a terrifying beast called Dajaal. The Mayor of Some Guy's Village calls upon the brave Villager to slay the beast that had created its nest in the Cave of Ordania. Are you strong enough to prevail over this abominable opponent?

UPDATE LOG:

General
- Added Cutscenes to expand on the story

- Increased Difficulty by increasing the Health of Hostiles and decreased the amount of Barrels that will drop Item Spawns

- Increased the Item Drop Pool to create some replayability

- Added Cave Blocker so the Player cannot go into the Cave before accepting The Mayor's Quest

- Made it so the Ordania Guards can be recruited

Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue where the "Spawn My Son" ability would appear in Slot 2 instead of Slot 3
General
- Added Hero Glow to Some Guy using HeroGlow by assassin_lord.

Bug Fixes
- Made it so the Quest message shows up after The Mayor's Cutscene.

Thanks for Checking out and Downloading my Map!​

Contents

Kill the Beast v2 (Map)

Assets
Reviews
deepstrasz
Johnson's quest is given right during the cinematic scene not after. The guard right of the ones near the bridge joins you if you get close to him before talking to the two. Could add hero glow to Guy: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling The son's...
Level 5
Hello there fellow map maker!
I played your map and it took me some 6 minutes to beat. nothing wrong with that.
-abilities aren't triggered. kinda boring.
-lack of item diversity. I only found potions and ... mmmh... I think there were only potions...
-potions in almost every barrel... there are maps in which one destroys every barrel or rock chunk or other destroyables in hopes of finding items or anything that can help, in this map, almost every barrel contained something... it kinda made finding potions unsurprising... mmm... it made the map too easy to beat... how can you lose if even if your hp goes down you can just back track a bit and restock on all or half of your potions of mana and or health...?
when creating the game, you can be the bad guys, the kinda neutral guards of ordania and the hero peasant "Some guy" ... I don't know how to do it , but I think that should be like fixed positions. I don't think you intended the bad guys or the neutral guys to be playable as there is no win condition or quests for anny of those factions... as far as I could see...
-spell learn and final spell position thing moves around. I can't recall know how those are called in the WE.
You click on hero abilities the Summon my Son ability is on the 0,3 space and when you learn it , it goes to the 0, 2 space.
I made up the spaces and position , but I think I got my point across.
Ultimate is ress, there is nothing to ress. as far as I could find... so , if that is the case, maybe give him some allies or creeps so he could ress them ...
- Although small, I like the map. The layout is nice. the village is nice. the fountain in the middle is nice. the cave looks like a cave with small corridor...
I think you can improve on the map! Anyways, congratulations! I'll gladly replay it once you update it.
Don't let me be the killer of your map and your hope. It is not my intention. I really think that you can improve it and make it the map really good!!

Anyways, congratulations, dude!

edit: pots and tomes. pots and tomes in the barrels were , I think, the only items I could find...

Level 3
Hello there fellow map maker!
I played your map and it took me some 6 minutes to beat. nothing wrong with that.
-abilities aren't triggered. kinda boring.
-lack of item diversity. I only found potions and ... mmmh... I think there were only potions...
-potions in almost every barrel... there are maps in which one destroys every barrel or rock chunk or other destroyables in hopes of finding items or anything that can help, in this map, almost every barrel contained something... it kinda made finding potions unsurprising... mmm... it made the map too easy to beat... how can you lose if even if your hp goes down you can just back track a bit and restock on all or half of your potions of mana and or health...?
when creating the game, you can be the bad guys, the kinda neutral guards of ordania and the hero peasant "Some guy" ... I don't know how to do it , but I think that should be like fixed positions. I don't think you intended the bad guys or the neutral guys to be playable as there is no win condition or quests for anny of those factions... as far as I could see...
-spell learn and final spell position thing moves around. I can't recall know how those are called in the WE.
You click on hero abilities the Summon my Son ability is on the 0,3 space and when you learn it , it goes to the 0, 2 space.
I made up the spaces and position , but I think I got my point across.
Ultimate is ress, there is nothing to ress. as far as I could find... so , if that is the case, maybe give him some allies or creeps so he could ress them ...
- Although small, I like the map. The layout is nice. the village is nice. the fountain in the middle is nice. the cave looks like a cave with small corridor...
I think you can improve on the map! Anyways, congratulations! I'll gladly replay it once you update it.
Don't let me be the killer of your map and your hope. It is not my intention. I really think that you can improve it and make it the map really good!!

Anyways, congratulations, dude!

edit: pots and tomes. pots and tomes in the barrels were , I think, the only items I could find...
Thank you for the insight fellow mapper! I'll definitely work on some of these issues (like item placement and difficulty) and update the map, I'm happy you liked the map design since I want the Player to immerse themselves in my world and not just have a boring canvas to play on. For some of the other issues you stated I'll try to see what I can do, I'm just relieved it doesn't have major issues that break the game. Cheers!

Edit: v1 has been uploaded by the time this reply is approved. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 72
  1. Johnson's quest is given right during the cinematic scene not after.
  2. The guard right of the ones near the bridge joins you if you get close to him before talking to the two.
  3. Could add hero glow to Guy: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  4. The son's expiration time is called Water Elemental. By the way, the idea is not funny. Can summon more than 1 son.
  5. What's the point of exiting the cave if it's just time wasting to get the victory message?
Very basic old school gameplay. It's not a campaign, at best an RPG map and a very small one. Story is rather nonexistent for now.

Simple.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 3
Hey, thanks for approving the map. The points you mentioned are intentional, minus the suggestion for hero glow. Didn't know you could do that, good to have in mind. I'll go over the points a bit though.
  • Johnson's Quest showing immediately is intentional. I wanted the player to prepare themselves for what the quest entails during the cutscene. But if that needs to be fixed, It will be done.
  • The guard who joins you is an extra addition if you wanna explore a bit. You immediately learn after why he joins you, but even before then you know that there is a threat that needs to be taken care of and Guy is quite famous in Ordania.
  • Glow will be added
  • The summoning of multiple sons and the water elemental name are intentional and plot twists for the Villager's Adventure project I'm working on.
  • It would be anticlimactic if the map just ended after defeating Dajaal and wouldn't make sense with flow of my plot, so I wanted Kill the Beast to connect immediately into Villager's Adventure.
The point of this map is to be as simple as possible since it is a prologue and I didn't wanna do too much right of the bat. I wanted to give a standalone mission to players and if they want to continue with Villager's Adventure its a win.