1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon/Model/Spell Team Contest - Hive Member[+100 Rep]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by IcemanBo, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I got something to show as a wip.

Attached Files:

2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    That art is fantastic but @Direfury = Paladin? *Snigger*

Go with a Berserker or something. ; P

3. Exarch

Exarch

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    That's half of his personal thoughts. I do not see a reason why it wouldn't fit. He's a bit further than a berserker. He's got dark magic in him ready to burst on enemies.. It's a Dark Paladin dude xd

4. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    wouldn't that be a death knight? xD as in the older style death knight

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    No, see that's @Kam. I was *soooo* close to doing that.

6. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Anyone still up for joining the Scourge as a modeller?

7. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @Kyrbi0 I much prefer the idea that this contest is more about depicting who the person is, rather than a simple avatar rip, or a parody of the chosen user(Distilling you, for example, into a Jungle Troll wearing too much money's worth of Jungle Troll memorabilia. There's more to you than that). So I agreed to share my thoughts, to give them a better understanding of my person, my values, and some of the events that have stayed with me the most. Somewhat like an interview.

The first draft of the character seemed more fitting, with long, wild berserker hair, and a featureless, eyeless mask. The idea of a Dark Paladin actually makes sense, along with that general aesthetic. Depicting my anti-theism and the anger behind it. My willingness to more identify with my persona, rather than my actual name and face.

I'm actually rather pleased with the amount of symbolism in the concept. Though I was hoping other teams in the contest would do the same with their entries. Rather than, say, making a model of Keiji as a Geomancer because he's a terrainer.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @Direfury
    This is very interesting to me, and if I didn't see this Contest as really more of a "for fun" thing, I'd be a lot more concerned about the disparity you illuminate. However, I wouldn't be me if I hadn't given it waaay too much thought:

Much Too Much

Right from the get-go, I read the Contest Theme & thought "huh. Huh? Hm..." "In What Way are we supposed to represent our chosen User?" was the primary question; the manner by which we create a rendition seems like the most important question to this Contest (especially if you consider adhering to the Contest Theme a matter of importance to the Judges (nothing in Criteria, but still probably important)).

After consideration, it seemed to me that our entries must needs exist on a 'spectrum of representation fidelity'; that is, how faithfully-to-the-source (i.e. the user) we represent things. This is complicated by having to 'make a Hero fit for Warcraft', which can mean a lot of different things to people.

I'll take myself as an example, since I know me pretty well. : )

On the extreme-fidelity end of the spectrum would be what I'd call "Level 0", something akin to literally recreating that individual in Warcraft; i.e. a hero named Kyrbi0 (hero class name: "Warcraft Modder", lol) who's just a regular human. Caucasian, average height & weight, brown hair and a bit of facial shrubbery... With some ability related to an actual IRL capability of mine (say, spellchecking or typing too much xD).

Seems pretty boring, aye? I doubted this was what was intended (but it *is* technically within the purview of the Contest, on the extreme end)

So with that as a boundary, moving in the other direction we get further away from "perfectly" recreating the individual, and incorporate an increasing amount of "artistic liberty/creativity". Let's call it "Level 1". So maybe this "Kyrbi0" hero is some kind of Jungle Troll (easy). But my model looks like myself (or my avatar), and my Jungle Troll is decked out with, like, a keyboard or a pair of headphones or something. His ability might be something I do IRL, but turned Warcraft-y (like "typing too much" is casting a group Silence that deals DoT or something).

This is better, methinks. I don't know where on the spectrum it is, but it seems like the kind of thing that @Misha 's team is doing with @Apheraz Lucent (because what Warcraft hero is carrying around a giant paintbrush & paint palette? That's definitely an out-of-game homage to her Skillz of an Artist!).

Even further up the spectrum is, I would submit, coming up with a Warcraft class that most closely 'fits' or represents the User. Let's call it "Level 2". This leads even further away from "recreating" an individual, but introduces more chance for artistic liberties & more Warcraft-iness. I would classify what @Exarch 's team is doing to you: Are you literally an Anti-Paladin? Do you ever walk around in full plate or cast dark-paladin spells or wield a skull-bedecked spear-sword thing? I hope not Of course not. But it represents you as a person, your mentality, philosophy, idealogy, etc. It's much more like as if you were playing D&D. Barring some kind of crazy experimentation, what class/race/alignment combo would best represent you?

Despite my earlier protestations, I can see now why it fits rather well. I'm actually really impressed with Exarch & Co for going to the trouble of 'interviewing' you; personally, I kinda think we should all be doing that, to really get a handle on who our chosen User is & how best to represent them (perhaps, in a future version of this Contest, the Host could provide a short little questionnaire for this purpose, to standardize things & make it easier to do).
    If we again take me as an example, my "Kyrbi0" hero might now not only be a Jungle Troll, but would perhaps (due to my general lack of physicality but strong mind) be some sort of caster-type hero; maybe a "Medicine Mon" or something flimsy but smart. xD The spell might be some kind of generic spell associated with that class (might instead be something about myself, turned into a spell?)

This, I might submit, is the best way to do this Contest.

Now, I think one can go further up the spectrum. In fact, part of why I've been thinking so hard about this & waiting for the chance to say something was because I was worried my team & I had done that very thing. That is to say, one picks a User & starts to make a hero, but perhaps takes a few too many artistic liberties, or doesn't really craft a Hero Class that "fits" the User in the same way as Level 2 does, but instead makes something that really fits into Warcraft. In a way, this might be like making a sick-awexome Jungle Troll Warlord hero & naming it Kyrbi0; yeah I love Jungle Trolls & it's cool, fits into Warcraft, but it's kinda not what I'm about (as a person). I'm not very physical, or strong, or violent.

I'm not sure yet what to do about that. But I've already pre-emptively apologized to Deolrin, explaining that our entry doesn't reflect how we think of him. xD So hopefully that helps.

(Note: This whole just sorta ignores the "superficiality" of the representation; i.e. to your "Keiji => Geomancer because Terrainer" point. I suppose it's superficial to simply base things off of the avatar (i.e. would I really be a Jungle Troll? I may like them the most, but honestly I'm pretty normal & attached to my creature comforts of modern living; Human or Dwarf would fit better), but we've gotta start somewhere, and we can't all be Humans (or we can, but at closer to a Level 0/1 approach, as aforementioned))

Everything else I didn't comment on in the above:
    Lol, I appreciate that. Especially because I have nearly no Jungle Troll memorabilia IRL. xD

Those are... Good points. I guess I just think 'Direfury' and think (not incidentally, given your name; but also because of our conversations) and think 'anger', which is best typified by the Berserker/Barbarian archetype. But an Anti/Dark-Paladin makes sense, too, I suppose.

~

Discuss! Lol.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thing is, if this contest is user vote based, then those users would expect a Hive user turned to character be as they see him on the site not how they actually feel. People don't know you behind the screen.

10. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @Kyrbi0 The 'dark paladin' archetype fits surprisingly well, if you think about it.

I'm an extremely angry person by nature, yes, but I'm not prone to unnecessary bouts of rage. I have a surprisingly good handle on it. However, I often do things motivated by my anger. An example of such a thing would be exercising, because you hate how you look, and hate seeing yourself in the mirror.

So what is one big, iconic thing about Direfury? Something he does that is motivated by anger? Something that is by no means a secret. My antitheism. My personal belief system. My hatred for the idea of gods and religion. Something we have discussed, and at length, I'm sure. Something more than a few people around here know about.

Sure, if you go by actual events in my past, a depiction of me as a berserker would be perfect. But the interview covered quite a few things, and drew from those. Go look at the artwork on the previous page. The anger in the eyes, the intense aesthetic.

The artwork tends to capture everything covered in the interview quite well, in rather symbolic ways.
    For one, as I said, I much prefer being Direfury, over being me. I prefer the mask, as it feels more like me, than I do. Thus, the original artwork included a featureless mask, and an, admittedly slightly exaggerated version of my hair at its longest and thickest. Something I prefer.
    -
    Beyond that, I've had my fair share of strange encounters. The tattoos are something I intend to get, as a physical reminder of what was covered in the interview.
    -
    The book serves as an ideal representation of my Creed, with the chain serving as a visual representation of my connection to it.
    -
    The two skulls on the weapon directly reference an extremely disturbing dream of mine. One that I had during a period of my life focused on change, and self improvement.
    -

Those are all things I can glean from simply looking at the artwork. How those specific points were implemented. They're largely spot on. Including the aforementioned intensity... I mean, come on, Kyrb. You've probably SEEN it piss me off when some droopy-eyed, drawling little homunculus tells me to chill out, or worse, calm down.

Simply put, a berserker would fit a depiction of me from a first glance. There are other things that are central to me as a character that I feel were picked up on rather well, through the interview, and friendship with @Stefan.K, who most likely picked up on these things over time.

11. Exarch

Exarch

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    @Kyrbi0 If we were to characterize the person as who really he/her is, that would be also cool but boring. As a result you would probably see @Direfury as a writer with a huge brain and eyeglasses. Or me as a tall ass phone tech an evaluationed creature or something i don't know. But isn't the avatar means what you want to be? However it's mostly the medieval times we want to live in and sadly but true it's something impossible for us to do anymore.

If people ask you to create my Character.. what are you gonna do? Look at my avatar and create? (Which comes back to the point where our avatars are mostly who we want to be in our fantasy worlds) That works. Or ask me and i can describe me as a Caharacter i believe that the result would be more Exarch-ish xd This works too. On the other hand, if you ask me who really i am and you want to create a character out of me.. that will suck my friend.
    Or if this is a concept that you're supposed to create the member as what they do in Hive and for Hive. We all pretty much do the same stuff :/ don't we?

About giving him a berserker look (idk if you thought about this by looking at his avatar)? I see an evil power in there and i believe a Dark Paladin can be a berserker. Who said he's going to bring peace in the guidance of the holy light using that skull-ed polearm? lol

12. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Even besides all that, consider stuff like this.

[​IMG]

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh my god, are you the electrifying down jawed skeleton savage warrior?

14. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Holy shit. How did you ever guess?

15. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well that's a lot of talking o_O

I usually, when trying to imagine a character out of, well, someone, i take a look at what that person has done, I take a look at the resources, perhaps the most favorite model/texture one works with.. chat a bit to see the personality, and pretty much get a bit of an idea. @Apheraz Lucent , for an example really does good with the textures, icons and especially sorceress model =P so the amalgamation created by that was easy to put together. @Kyrbi0 is a fan of trolls, but if i were to pull on that side, i'd miss many other things, like that elder hydra, so he's a bit more mysterious.. @Direfury ..? well I kinda imagine him as a blacksmith, or engineer.. any sort of a very good craftsman. but every piece of armor or weapon on him would have a sinister secondary purpose, equally destructive like he is creative.

16. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I thought this was a contest of guessing and impressions. Didn't know we were allowed to make requests.

17. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well, chatting.. x3

18. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating