1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest - Results

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Landmine, Oct 11, 2019.

1. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

I think his response if, he wrotes one, will need moderator approve= may not be show till tomorrow.

when registration or even login, put a image puzzle to solve. I dont mind solve a image puzzle of cars to login(thats how is done in other pages, and you dont need moderators to be busy approving new posts).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not also when logging in, that would annoy the heck out of most.

3. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Guys Guys Guys Guys!!!!!

XanderD was removed as judge, and his pdf deleted!!!

just informing

upload_2019-10-12_10-23-49.png

upload_2019-10-12_10-25-2.png

so yes winners changed. Rivulet should be now a winner map.
    2nd best score + highest best poll score.

4. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Out of all this drama, my biggest question and disappointment in the finality of this situation is: why Northwatch Hold on the tourney?

Affinity for Sunken temple tileset and mediocre maps? Has anyone ever taken the time to check distances, chokes, wisp spots? Do people understand good aesthetics? What are those innovations on this map that we haven't seen before? Can someone make me a list so that I can understand better? As far as I can see:

Is uses the exact same creep camp composition (hydra switched for disguise) with the exact same item drop ('used as inspiration' from the contest Ruins of Azshara map, also a LV version present in this contest), with rune of the watcher to give vision to the path, as well as the exact Level-2-Power-up distribution (30-30-30-5-5) among creeps in the same fashion as on my melee contest entry and winner Ruins of Azshara which I changed for the LV version because the patch that reworked item drops is now active and the balance is off for the old map.

It that innovation? What else am I missing besides the undefined theme (random doodads) and weird, unintuitive pve layout of the map? I disagree with the score. But I request no changes and would only like to encourage mapmakers to take a closer look at that map and compare.

It makes me sad how few individuals have a mission to find the very best competitive maps and bring them to the public and general player base, eventually to ladder, helping to bring the most out of the community to improve Warcraft3 and Reforged. No one whose heart yearns for some fresh strategies and some new eye candy in the map pool which can be implemented almost immediately? Xander was one of those at least. What about others? Judges should be those people, or at least I hoped they would. With the lack of number in judges (which is actually the root problem of this contest, since we should have about 4-5 judges that understand since the contest itself is fine), the overall score in the end is really a subjective review of one person (and we need 5 of those subjective reviews).

If this is what the players here on Hive (and elsewhere) wished? Does anybody care?

I thank those involved for handling this contest, thank the judges, congratulate the winners and participants (work on maps more, submit, publish please!) and B2W for organizing the cup that is closely approaching! I hope that we get more passion and involvement for Wacraft3 revival and refinement within the community.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. SayuriTenshi

SayuriTenshi

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @WolfFarkas mhh mabye but seems like its to late now cuz the cup alrady started and they are not changing the maps :(

6. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I was the first in say that your map was down-scored, but now there are worst issues who won??

... oh.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    He wrote he'll give some feedback for each map in the following days.
    First, a calculation issue, then the issue with the judging and now one judge remaining?

8. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yes but he said that when XanderD was still judge. now we have only 1 judge.

and the post was waiting for moderator approve.

and there was no oficial anouncement about XanderD being removed as judge, Tenshi pointed it and took me time to detect it.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  10. SayuriTenshi

SayuriTenshi

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @WolfFarkas well i just made it to see it playtested by good players i dont care about win reputation points or so i just wanted to see it played

11. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    you are right it seems not fair. I mean you won today , but your map is not going to be used.

12. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's nothing wrong with that.
    If you want to win, then you will do what is optimal.
    Melee maps designed for 1v1 - 2v2 are pretty conservative and there is barely any room for new ideas or gimmicks.
    If anything the melee community is to blame for the lack of new maps, because nobody is willing to playtest.
    Which is funny because you still hear from top players like Lawliet that he wants new maps.
    So it's hard to make good competetive maps when there aren't anyone willing to test your map.
    It could just be that the melee community is too small to find the tester or because hive's reputation is bad in melee communites, i don't know.
    The way i see it, the most optimal approach is to just pump out new - conventional maps and hope that one of them is recieved well.

@JaleVeliki
    I'd refrain from criticising other submissions if i were you, it's not a good look.
    If you feel the wrong maps have won, which is totally relateable, then direct the flack towards the judges instead.

13. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So the winners are acording to Remodemo excel notes. (single judge):

1-Brightwater Oasis: 70,9 (awsome map)
    2-Rivulet: 64,1 (awsome small map)
    3-Northwatch Hold: 61,8 (awsome dual enviroment map)
    4-Uther Slumber: 59,4 (awsome 2009 map)

5- Tie between Starfish Village and Gold Port: 57,4

(Not Ruins of Azhara and not Gold Port, since one judge was removed from the frontpage).

this is the new info of what I understand...

congratulations to the winners.

RemoDemo will submit text reviews, so this can be validated, and give users badges.

I hope this may be ok??,

14. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes I can be a judge again, but for the next contest. @Jale ... I was pushing hard 1 year ago for new maps, and got Northern Isles, Swamped and Synergy all from Hive on the mappool. I'll push again for Reforged. Once I take a closer look at these maps, I'll again make suggestions to Kam to add some fresh life into the mappool once more.

15. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great!

16. FatJonah

FatJonah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seems nobody likes the scoring system, or at least want to see the math done for each map, which I 100% support

17. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just explaining the situation to @FatJonah

is not that we dont like the score system , the site has Arena Rules, and judges guides to follow. But I have faith that in the end, things will be fixed.

Arena - Rules And Guide

Judge Guide

18. FatJonah

FatJonah

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok that makes more sense
    -eee

19. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Twitch

here you can see some plays of the contest maps.

20. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks man!
    Here's from another cast (Russian commentary)

and a german one:
    Twitch