• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HIVE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
The site looks good, though it will take some time to get used to it.

But... I miss the old search function.
There are a lot of issues with the new one. Or maybe I just can't get it to work.

Example #1

There is an icon called "BTNGoldenLightArcher". (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/btngoldenlightarcher.275733/#resource-65920)

Let's just say that I made a unit in the editor that could really use this cool asset. So what do I do? Well, I go to the hive workshop and I type in "Archer" in the search box.

Effect? "No results found".
I've tried doing the same with "Golden Archer", using commas, using advanced search and typing "BTNarcher" or even "BTNgolden" (which I normally wouldn't know that the name of this icon starts with it, but hell...). Still, I haven't found the asset in question.

Well, if I didn't know better and/or didn't go through the whole Icon Section - I would probably assume that there aren't any "Archer" icons available on Hiveworkshop. But wait, I know this icon exists! It just doesn't show up in the search!

I used the old search engine and I'm confident that it would have found this item (especially considering that it has both "golden" and "archer" as keywords)!

Example #2

Some time ago I made an item for my project - it was a ring. I needed an icon for it, so as usual I came to the Hiveworkshop to see what the amazing folk here have come up with. I went into the Icon Section and used the search function to look for an icon that I could use. I remember that after typing "ring" in the old search box on the left side of my screen, I got a few pages of items that I could pick from. Ultimately I ended up finding and using this icon through my search:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/btncoldfirering.235896/#resource-63603

Let's see if I would have found this icon with the current search engine... So, I type in "ring" and - 0 results. Okay, let's type "BTNring" - only 3 results, the icon in question is not among them. Okay, let's try "BTNcoldfire" (which, again, I wouldn't normally know what exactly this particular icon is called!) - 0 results.

Once again - I wouldn't find this icon with the current search engine. In order to find it, I'd have to manually browse the entire/filtered part of the Icon Section now. Or, if I were someone who didn't know better, I would probably just assume that there aren't any ring icons.

Example #3

So, let's try looking for something else than an icon. Let's say I'm making a custom Dwarf race and I really want to have a mage unit for that. Something like this model would be useful:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/dwarven-court-mage.252413/#resource-35858

So, I go and type "dwarf mage" - 0 results. Ok, I go to the advanced search, check the Dwarf box and type "mage" - okay, it has found the item. Well, it's more confusing, but at least it works... Oh, wait - does it, really? There were only 2 mage units for the entire Dwarf race! Things like this one haven't showed up in my search:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/mountain-dwarf-runebreaker.252762/

(Note that it has "mage" in keywords and thus I'm fairly confident that it would show up in the old search engine just by typing "dwarf mage", without having to go through a robust "advanced search function").

---
So, I don't know - maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the way it works now, the search engine seems broken to me.

I mean, with the old search engine - if I wanted, say - an icon for a Mage unit, I could just type "mage" in the icon section and it would show me a huuuge list of icons that matched my search. Each position had a small preview/miniature/thumbnail next to it. The way I used it was that I browsed through the couple of pages of icons and based on those thumbnails/previews I could pick like, say, 10 mage icons that I could potentially want to use and just open them up in separate tabs to see them in a larger version and ultimately pick one. The current one displays what appear to be the users' avatars instead, which is a serious step back in functionality.

Oh, and while we are on the topic of pages... Whatever happened to "SHOW X ITEMS ON PAGE" function (while performing a search)?

And why if I do a search on "Models" section I browse through the results, if I want to do a different search I have to go back to the "Models" section page, because performing a search while being at the previous search results page DOESN'T SEARCH THAT SECTION, BUT THE ENTIRE SITE?

The new search engine... If it even shows anything (it doesn't if you type "mage", just checked)... Well, I just can't get it to show me the entire/big list of assets that I could pick from. And knowing how the search feature used to work, I'm really afraid to use the current one because I don't know if the search will show me all/enough items of the querry I was looking for, so that I could pick one that really matches the thing I wanted to add.

And that means I'm feeling like I literally have to go through ALL the available assets (like icons) to make sure that I didn't miss anything and that I got a chance to actually find what I was really looking for or at least be certain that no such asset is available. And that's A TON of browsing to do.

---

So, I don't know - if I'm doing something wrong, please help me out! I don't want to spend hours browsing for every single custom asset :(

Conclusion?
I want the old Hiveworkshop back, at least for now.
I mean, the new site looks far better and works great overall. I don't mind having to learn new things, even though some of them are a bit daunting (advanced search box - just... dear god), but so far I have noticed that some things just take more time/clicks than they used to and the search engine seems generally broken. In my opinion that alone makes the site less functional for me and to be honest, if I were to pick between looks and functionality, I'd always pick the latter.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Yeah, it still needs a lot of work... I had to log in for this page (this thread) as well, not just for the index. Plus, it took me 1 minute to find the small Log In button... Try, if you can and/or want to make the stuff look as similar as in the old site if possible. Header texts look like normal post text in the news etc. etc. etc.

Level 5
Grrr.. It will take times to like it here. And it seems, the site is not ready yet. Nonetheless, its nice to be here. Good job Ralle, and the others. :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
How's this good? The status is shown under the picture now instead of the name. Administrators have their rank under the portrait too...
Is it me or the plugin lags at times?
Smileys, are they implemented?
Why aren't uploaded images linked to the profile?
My pending maps do not show in Resources.

Why is everything so small?

Last edited:
Level 20
Yeah sounds like I need to improve search :).
Awesome, so suggestions for that in a more tl;dr fashion:
1. Could we just go back to searching keywords or at least have it as an option? I think that alone would fix a lot of issues with items not appearing after search :)
2. Please display an asset thumbnail next to/instead of author's avatar on the search results.
3. Having an option to display X items per page on the search results would be nice too :)
4. Typing in another search while on search results should search the same section again, not the entire site, imo.

And some other suggestions:
1. It'd be cool if you could "add" the assets to your favourites in the profile :) It would be useful to people, who like me occasionally browse the models anyway and find something cool they might use later or for people who just want to somehow mark the models they've used to more easily compile credits :)
2. When searching resources and bundles in the advances search, different tag types could be placed in drop down menu for an easier navigation :)

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
MasterBlaster,
1. When you enter text in the search field, it becomes a search of bundles if you are in a repository.
2. Yes, that is something I would like. It's just that XenForo by default shows the avatar for any search result.
3. Huh?
4. If you want to change your search you click "Search Again" and you will have more features.

Other:
1. So basically make lists of things you want to keep a note of?
2. Yes, the list is getting sort of long isn't it?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I see the reputation rank hasn't been kept. Not that it's that important anyway. At least now we get to know how many people need to be given reputation before we can give it to the one we wanted before getting that announcement. But the thing is that the number 5 is repeated even if we have given reputation in the meantime.

About the site. We can manage. If some edits here and there could be done then we will be more than satisfied.

Last edited:
Level 21
At first glance the new site seems horrible to me. I can't seem to find anything and many things that used to be buttons are only links now. Definitely needs a lot of tweaking.
What I miss the most is seeing new posts in subscribed threads with just one click. Where is it now?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
At first glance the new site seems horrible to me. I can't seem to find anything and many things that used to be buttons are only links now. Definitely needs a lot of tweaking.
What I miss the most is seeing new posts in subscribed threads with just one click. Where is it now?
It's in the Alerts. It's still double click as before: one on Alerts and another on the thread you want.

Level 20
MasterBlaster,
1. When you enter text in the search field, it becomes a search of bundles if you are in a repository.
2. Yes, that is something I would like. It's just that XenForo by default shows the avatar for any search result.
3. Huh?
4. If you want to change your search you click "Search Again" and you will have more features.

Other:
1. So basically make lists of things you want to keep a note of?
2. Yes, the list is getting sort of long isn't it?
1. I noticed, but from what I've gathered (might totally be wrong here), the old search worked like this - each asset/item in the database had keywords assigned to it and the search engine just checked for that. Right now, at least from my experience, it looks mostly at the asset title (even with "seach only title" thing disabled). It'd be cool to have keywords back since a lot of the assets have flavorful names (i.e. Dwarven Runebreaker) which would require very specific/hard to come up with searches to find, and lengthy descriptions which might cause misleading searches.
2. Awesome, fingers crossed you get it to work :)
3. It'd be cool to have an option to choose how many results are displayed on the search results page. Like "Show 20 results per page" or "Show 200 results per page".
4. Oh, cool - didn't notice that :) But still, it's a bit anti-intuitive to me, I think it would be cool if - say, you want to search for an item that has something to do with "fire" = you do that and then you want to look for "flame" and you just type that in the same box, without having to go to "Search Again" (basically advanced search) menu to do a different search on the same repository.

Other:
1. Yeah :) I know it can be easily done with browser's bookmarks, but having a similar feature baked into the site could be nice for some folks. Wel, at least I would love it :)
2. Yup, hopefully you find a way to make it shorter :)

At any rate, I just hope you'll get the search engine to work better. And if you need any more feedback or testing of the changes from the end-user's perspective, I will be happy to help :)

P.S. In regards to keywords and searches - I know it's a very long read, but I've elaborated heavily on my issues with searches on page 3 of this topic. I think reading through it might give you a better understanding of some problems the search engine has (at least from my perspective).

Last edited:
Level 22
WoW... the new layout seemed a bit confusing and messy to me. Now I need to spend some time getting used to the navigation. I hope things will be better and prettier in the future.

I have a question. Why can't we search with keywords anymore in the models section (I don't know about other resource sections)? Will we be able to do so later?

By the way, there's slight problem with pastebin (I know I can scroll it using arrow keys, but I prefer showing the entire thing at once):
untitled-png.239881

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    224.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Level 20
One more suggestion/question.

I understand that if you have a bundle with a portrait and a regular model, the search will show both of these as as separate results, but... wouldn't it be possible to have like an "show only bundles" search option that instead of displaying both of these assets separately would just display the bundle itself?

Example - let's say we have items like:
CrazyBunny + CrazyBunnyPortrait
LovelyBunny + LovelyBunnyPortrait
StonedBunny + StonedBunnyPortrait
LonelyBunny (only this one item in a bundle)

Where "+" indicates that two items are in the same bundle.

Right now, if I typed in "Bunny" - assuming the search engine would find all of these items, they (all 7 of them) would be displayed as separate search results, right?

So, what if we had an option to only look for bundles, not individual files that have something to do with "Bunny"? You know, an option that would display just the 4 bundles listed above, not all 7 items?

Last edited:
Level 1
Yeah sounds like I need to improve search :). You shouldn't need to relogin all the time.
Yes please, I will love you forever if you reverse or fix the search engine. The old version was infinitely better - faster, easier to use, more effective,...just perfect.

Level 20
Yes please, I will love you forever if you reverse or fix the search engine. The old version was infinitely better - faster, easier to use, more effective,...just perfect.
I don't mind the time - sure, the current one seems to work a bit slower than the old one, but it's really a minor difference. And yeah, it's a bit more click-heavy than the old one, but I can live with that too. The real issue is that the search engine fails horribly at finding things, which is bad.

I'd probably feel very confused right now if I didn't have had any previous experience with XenoForo. Nonetheless nice to see everything essential is operational!
Well, not everything. The search engine for custom assets isn't working too well. Other than that, I totally agree :) Already got the hang of pretty much everything else :)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Hooray for upgrade!

Previewing seems to work so much faster now. Guess it's being done on the user-end at last? :)

'MY EYESSSSS'

Jokes aside, I'm enjoying the minimalism. However, I feel that there's a lot of empty space.
Agreed. This is why most forums now use the centralized approach. While I was initially a bit disgusted, it's something you get used to and ends up looking better when compared to the old fill-all-width approach.

---- Transferred most of my post here. -----​

Can we keep the XenForo emoticons even if the orcs make their return? I've grown used to them :p :D :eek:

I've previously used XenForo's interface and I'm inclusively an active member in a site that uses it, so this ain't a bias against the forum system.

P.S. — Most XenForo allow you to easily reference users (when you write someone's name, a whee list appears and creates the hyperlink if you click on the name). Is that some sort of feature that was disabled or is it a plugin?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Level 24
Hooray for upgrade!

Previewing seems to work so much faster now. Guess it's being done on the user-end at last? :)

Agreed. This is why most forums now use the centralized approach. While I was initially a bit disgusted with it, it's something you get used to and actually ends up looking better when compared to the old fill-all-width approach. Because it will usually looks bad due to ending up with unused space, like you said.
clipboard02-jpg.239896

Also, I think the forum feels kinda bland.
  • Things really could be more well delimited. See example:
    clipboard01-jpg.239895

• Why remove the borders from the forum icons? I thought we had previously discussed this and agreed that they looked cooler with borders. As it is, icons are looking a tad ugly. :(

• The color scheme is also slightly irritating to the eyes. I kinda preferred the lighter background.

I've previously used XenForo's interface and I'm inclusively an active member in a site that uses it, so this ain't a bias against the forum system.

P.S. — Most XenForo allow you to easily reference users (when you write someone's name, a whee list appears and creates the hyperlink if you click on the name). Is that some sort of feature that was disabled or is it a plugin?

I must be seeing ghosts. Never thought I'd see you in here after all this time.

However, going back on track. The point is being reinforced, a lot of grey matter is being wasted. ;)

Reactions: Rui
Level 27
I don't mind the time - sure, the current one seems to work a bit slower than the old one, but it's really a minor difference. And yeah, it's a bit more click-heavy than the old one, but I can live with that too. The real issue is that the search engine fails horribly at finding things, which is bad.

Well, not everything. The search engine for custom assets isn't working too well. Other than that, I totally agree :) Already got the hang of pretty much everything else :)
Yeah, I noticed search is busted in general, but I'm sure it won't take long for it to start working again.

Level 20
Yeah, I noticed search is busted in general, but I'm sure it won't take long for it to start working again.
I'm definetely with you on that. I've seen some people get upset about some things, but the truth is that stuff like that happens :) I'm confident that our chief engineer will eventually work out all the kinks - we just need to give him some time :)

Roland

R

Roland

NO! THE HAOSIS SMILEYS NO NO NO! IT CAN'T BE! Seriously, I I really wanted the good old ogres, voidwalkers, goblins and hoasis smileys... It's the only faith in the hands of hive! Please! return those precious smileys, Not those ugly jesus christ I want to shoot myself with those god forsaken new smileys!

Level 24
NO! THE HAOSIS SMILEYS NO NO NO! IT CAN'T BE! Seriously, I I really wanted the good old ogres, voidwalkers, goblins and hoasis smileys... It's the only faith in the hands of hive! Please! return those precious smileys, Not those ugly jesus christ I want to shoot myself with those god forsaken new smileys!

Take it easy, hombre!

I'm no rocket scientist, but I believe that's a pat on the back compared to the other issues.

When we'll get them, I'll personally spam your page with Haosis icons.

I believe an overhaul to reputation was the plan initially. Ralle mentioned the reputation system would be kept so people don't mislead it being gone with the transition to Hive 2. We might be looking at a revamp in the future.

Absolutely, I can see this line of thought. Guess we'll have to wait.

EDIT:

A suggestion I can give is to permit the user to choose the amount of reputation to be given.

Say, from the 5 reputation that I'm allowed to give, I feel that an edgy joke deserves 2 points.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
At least AFAIK there are no plans for any sweeping changes to the rep system any time soon, apart from the graphics overhaul. The details of the migration are still being ironed out, and hopefully it'll all run as it should soon.

Which begs the question, is it intentional?

I'm getting the feeling that we're involuntarily taking part in a testing session.
Welcome, gentlemen, to Hive Science. Astronauts, war heroes, Olympians--you're here because we want the best, and you are it. So: Who is ready to make some science?

The emoticons are being imported soon.

Level 24
At least AFAIK there are no plans for any sweeping changes to the rep system any time soon, apart from the graphics overhaul. The details of the migration are still being ironed out, and hopefully it'll all run as it should soon.

Welcome, gentleman, to Hive Science. Astronauts, war heroes, Olympians--you're here because we want the best, and you are it. So: Who is ready to make some science?

The emoticons are being imported soon.

Sign me up for progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.