• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
HiveLogo.png

galaxy.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png

WORLD WONDERS

3217271_orig.jpg

Participants are to create a map with (a) great monument/s and wonderful creations of all kind.
Whether or not the origin of said monument is human or otherwise is for the participant to decide.
The name of the contest does not imply that you have to create a "real" world wonder.

You are, of course, free to do so if you want, however.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any terrain does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • A few in game screenshots showing your submission in action.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Map may consist of any resource as long as it is public.
    • Unless a used resource belongs to either Hive Workshop or sc2mapster, a link to the used resources must be provided.
    • Resources made public after the launch of the contest are not permitted.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain previews (however cropping is allowed).
  • Adding triggers is allowed but will not be judged on. They are simply for your own satisfaction.
  • Protecting your map is prohibited. The terrain will need to be looked at both in game and in the galaxy editor.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon and a custom user rank icon.
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Participants and Judges: 5 reputation points

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
Was the terrain bringing something new or was it rather simple? Uniqueness factors greatly/20

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./10

Technique
How well thought out was the terrain and how was the approach to execution. Did it bring new elements?/20

Aesthetics
Overall composition of the terrain and a good fluidity. Does it contain rough spots and missing aspects from it?/10
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
Score S = 25v/TOTv + 75( j1 + j2 )/TOTp

where v = votes entry received, TOTv = total poll vote count, j1 and j2 = score from judges, and TOTp = total judge score possible.

judges.png

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 3rd of August and conclude on the 3rd of October, 2016 GMT

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Reactions: San
Why is this on the main news? I don't see anything special here, contests happen all the time.

oh I don't know, maybe it has to do about the fact it's the first Starcraft contest on the hive. Or perhaps it's because contest in general is a great opportunity to entertain people and create bounding between hivers, pushing forward the community in general. Or perhaps it's to invite people to have a look of ''behind the scene'' from the most creative minds of the hive...

so ya know. ''I don't know'' why it's here either.

oh I don't know, maybe it has to do about the fact it's the first Starcraft contest on the hive. Or perhaps it's because contest in general is a great opportunity to entertain people and create bounding between hivers, pushing forward the community in general. Or perhaps it's to invite people to have a look of ''behind the scene'' from the most creative minds of the hive...

so ya know. ''I don't know'' why it's here either.

So we should start doing news for every new contest that shows up? Sounds good. And Starcraft is only a fraction of community, this community stands because of Warcraft 3. Let the numbers speak by themselves.

Anyway, good luck to our most creative minds. :)

Level 36
A Void, there is no need for such negative energy.

How about we're just happy for the hive actually moving in the direction of the future? :)
- Pun completely, 100%, not intended. *cough*

I'd like to ask, is this a scenic or playable terraining contest?

Is even scenic terrains possible with the galaxy editor? (I know in the first version
of the editor there was no way of setting a camera, but there's been two expansions
since then, maybe they've added the function.)

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I'd like to ask, is this a scenic or playable terraining contest?
Scenic.

Is even scenic terrains possible with the galaxy editor? (I know in the first version
of the editor there was no way of setting a camera, but there's been two expansions
since then, maybe they've added the function.)
It should be possible, if I'm not horribly wrong.

Hello all. I'll be keeping an eye on this contest from now on. Thx!

Now, no move here I see. If people seem in doubt on how to start off with the SC2 Editor, then I'd insist on you reading up on some sc2mapster terraining tips and experiment with the overall editor before delving fully in.

Here are some starters for those in doubt : )

Also, to answer Keiji's question: yes, scenic terraining is possible in this editor. It's just ever more tricky to have a handle of it at first.
Once you pass the experimental phase of it, it should be fairly easy to do so.

Last edited:

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

What's uppppp! This is Fenix from mapster. I just made an account in order to participate in this terraining contest, just for the fun of it and not for the rewards at all. I still don't know what I'll be doing, but... making a wonder should not be too hard... just a little bit long.

You can take a look at the kind of terrain I do and how I work by searching on youtube scbroodsc2, I made some timelapse videos of me terraining. If I can, I'll do a timelapse for this too.

Anyway, Good luck everyone! Best wishes, Fenix.

Level 9
Hi people,
I'll participate, first wip attached to the post.
My plan is to build a big temple with this giant portal in it, but i'm not sure if it fits the theme. Would be kind if someone could tell me if i'm going into the right direction with this.

Attachments

• First shot.jpg
    First shot.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 168

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

@Racziel This looks nice with the Pit pitched. Original and already somewhat impressive, there is alot of potential. Great start keep going ;)

@Heinvers I'm not started yet. I have yet to find some time to invest into finding an idea and doing it. But I want to do something for sure. I feel like a Xel'Naga temple could be nice... but there is alot of new doodads of terran structures which could be used to make a big one...

I'm feeling like doing something like this but more detailled. Not sure yet. Not sure as well if i want to do an interior or just play around the exterior. Making interior is much more complex.

Note, this forum fonctionnalities are much better and easy to use than on mapster, that's very cool.

Edit: I want to point out as well that I created the Nova 1 and 2 mission pack doodad. It's not yet uploaded into the website for fast access but you can download it from mapster. You can also download the other image pack if you wish so you have them on your computer, it's always usefull for terraining.

Tileset Reference Viewer
All Doodads - All Doodads Nova MP 1-2 - StarCraft 2 Maps - SC2Mapster

Ah, the Weekly Terraining Exercise. I've followed most of those on mapster as a guest. I can tell that it's a good practice done by @Mozared.
Shame that it won't work as a weekly one on our site, still hope remains.

Anywho, yes, interiors are allowed as well since if it brings originality and being on theme at the same time, it could yield a rather intricate end result.

I grew to like doing interiors in WE(might try in GE as well sometime), just as @fladdermasken (from time to time) and @Keiji do. They're something unique to work on, I give you that. Well, I'll be sure to drop on my share of criticism if you'll lift off with that approach :]

Nifty lists, will check them out for sure.

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

Alright, I asked my girlfriend that played only a bit starcraft and the campaign what she thinks about "a starcraft wonder" and she brung me the idea of an hybrid structure made of protoss terran and zerg elements living well together. I think this is a very good idea with alot of challenge to make it works, but could result in something very unique. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to make a kind of city structure as a big monument split into the 3 races, but that will come haha.

@Tleno @Oziris would be great to see you show something when you get idea : )

@Scbroodsc2 ah, sort of a multi-cultural city quadrant. I like the idea quite much. Good call. I think that some sort of rivers/cannals or crystals dividing those particular areas could add that feel to it. Plus some minor color difference in each part to make them stand out.

Level 9
Inspiration taken from Amon's presence in Eris temple? Or the pit in Slayn? : )

I think the Tal'darim are generally a great inspiration. They're somehow Protoss but still different.
Made a second wips and i'm a bit torn how to go on. One idea is to drop some tempels and buildings in the background and add some details and the other is to make this all into a great hall with pillars and stuff. Think i'll do both and decide wich looks better.

Attachments

• second shot.jpg
    second shot.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 209

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

@Racziel This is getting great. The sky seems a bit emtpy, something there could be great, like floating crystals or whatever. Or maybe going with some kind of pillars supporting a roof along the structure and fill a little bit more the ground. More texturing could help as well instead of a single flat texture. You can think as well at this point, "what color do I want it to look like" such as what ambiance you want, what if fires were dark purple and you set the lighting differently with no fog (or more fog and which color) etc.

Keep going sir you're on you're on a good path.

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

I started to work on my idea. So far it turns out to be... a not so good not so bad terrain. I'm not yet impressed by my work but there is still alot of time and potential. I have recorded my 2h30 of work of today. From the blank map to what I have currently and I will hopefully be able to do a timelapse when I finish it up. It takes quite some time to set up all the texture sets to be able to use all 16 textures easily and blended together. I'm going to stop for today, I don't know when I'll have time to continue but I do want to get this going. :D

One thing that was cool to make was the protoss bridge; it curves, it's going up/down and it's pathable. Try to beat that ;)

I imagined something more centered around all 3 races blended together but my hand did something else. I'm imaginating now that this would be some kind of structure surrounded by a forest (by enlarging the map) so the whole thing stands out. I might be trying something too big... I don't know yet.

Here are some screens.

Attachments

• Terrain 002.jpg
    Terrain 002.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Terrain 003.jpg
    Terrain 003.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Terrain 004.jpg
    Terrain 004.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Terrain 005.jpg
    Terrain 005.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Terrain 006.jpg
    Terrain 006.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Terrain 007.jpg
    Terrain 007.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

Do the mapmaker share a picture from their specefic angle or just by looking at the map itself from a camera? In other words, if you take a screenshot from the editor it will be small and not very detailled (which most people would do probably) but there is a export map picture or something that can create a large image with much more details; it should probably be used instead of a screenshot. What do you think?

Level 9
i'm currently a bit busy and out of creativity - but i'll work further on it.
I now split the initial idea into 2 (wips attached) and made a city-portal where you can see the sky and a "skyline" in the background and the other one is inside a hall (monumental temple or something), but lacks more details (because im out of ideas for now). I haven't realy decided yet which i like more, but i'll look at it again if the the hall is filled with more details.

A little sidenote: Everytime i make a screenshot i kinda feel like SC2 Terrains lose a lot of their "impact" when frozen in a picture. Even from a static point of view it still looks far better in the editor than in the screen (atleast thats a feeling i get). Will the judgement be based on the map itself and the "view" you can have in motion or rather the screenshots?

Attachments

• slayncity.jpg
    slayncity.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 127
  • slaynhall.jpg
    slaynhall.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 133

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

@Racziel I very like the interior version but as you said it lacks a little bit more details. I suggest you play around lighting, maybe adding fire torches or something on the pillars, maybe flags, stuff hang at the roof, and maybe try to make a scene out of that by adding characters and maybe effects even more. This look like a room in the Tal'Darim culture... but what is it for? Who walks there and why? Is there an entrance, a specefic path to follow, are there ancesters, ghost, idk. I'm just throwing out ideas.

Good luck! :p

Deleted member 254387

D

Deleted member 254387

Hum, i did not find time to work on it again, but it will come. Just need to find a couple hours straight without disturbing stuff like job, girlfriend, call, friends that want to play starcraft, etc. Normal stuff you know. I wish there were more people participating. Where's everyone? haha. xD

Level 9
So this is my final post. Hall is finished (atleast im out of ideas) and i attached the map itself too so you could look at it ingame and in the editor.
I have to admit i'm not completly satisfied with the result, but atleast i got some new ideas which i might post sometime in the future (on the terrain board of course).

Attachments

• End.jpg
    End.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Terrain - SlaynGateHall.SC2Map
    57 KB · Views: 95
Level 27
Here's the WIP of my current entry, but I really feel like starting from scratch, the composition is way less interesting than expected.
npnd6Vf.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind scrapped that junk, here's a new one:
73fb85ae-c552-4b58-b939-6c58bd2d62d8
WQrBFkv.jpg

EDIT 2: I got my stuff ready, should I make a second post? I can post extra WiP pictures if one is not enough, I took plenty of them.

EDIT 3: Um... are you supposed to create a playable terrain? Or just a screenshot of your terrain? Because, ugh, I took some creative liberties with perspective so it won't look nice as playable map :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.