1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The SharpCraft World Editor Extended (WEX) has been updated for the latest Warcraft 3 version: Forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Leaders has begun! Artists group up and struggle! May the best team lead the run.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The long awaited results for Mini-Mapping Contest #13 is here! Congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Vote for the best Concept Art Contest - Bounty Hunter entry!
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Shar Dundred, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    WORLD WONDERS

[​IMG]

Participants are to create a map with (a) great monument/s and wonderful creations of all kind.
    Whether or not the origin of said monument is human or otherwise is for the participant to decide.
    The name of the contest does not imply that you have to create a "real" world wonder.

You are, of course, free to do so if you want, however.

[​IMG]

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any terrain does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
      • A few in game screenshots showing your submission in action.
    • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
    • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Judges may not participate.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Map may consist of any resource as long as it is public.
      • Unless a used resource belongs to either Hive Workshop or sc2mapster, a link to the used resources must be provided.
      • Resources made public after the launch of the contest are not permitted.
    • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain previews (however cropping is allowed).
    • Adding triggers is allowed but will not be judged on. They are simply for your own satisfaction.
    • Protecting your map is prohibited. The terrain will need to be looked at both in game and in the galaxy editor.

[​IMG]

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon and a custom user rank icon.
    • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon.
    • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon.
    • Participants and Judges: 5 reputation points

[​IMG]
    Creativity Was the terrain bringing something new or was it rather simple? Uniqueness factors greatly /20
    Detail Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder. /10
    Technique
    How well thought out was the terrain and how was the approach to execution. Did it bring new elements? /20
    Aesthetics Overall composition of the terrain and a good fluidity. Does it contain rough spots and missing aspects from it? /10
    • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
    Score S = 25v/TOTv + 75( j1 + j2 )/TOTp

where v = votes entry received, TOTv = total poll vote count, j1 and j2 = score from judges, and TOTp = total judge score possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • The contest shall begin on 3rd of August and conclude on the 3rd of October, 2016 GMT

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

2. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
  3. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

I am very optimistic that there will be great stuff to see in this contest! yeah :D

4. A Void

A Void

Why is this on the main news? I don't see anything special here, contests happen all the time.

5. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

oh I don't know, maybe it has to do about the fact it's the first Starcraft contest on the hive. Or perhaps it's because contest in general is a great opportunity to entertain people and create bounding between hivers, pushing forward the community in general. Or perhaps it's to invite people to have a look of ''behind the scene'' from the most creative minds of the hive...

so ya know. ''I don't know'' why it's here either.

6. A Void

A Void

So we should start doing news for every new contest that shows up? Sounds good. And Starcraft is only a fraction of community, this community stands because of Warcraft 3. Let the numbers speak by themselves.

Anyway, good luck to our most creative minds. :)

7. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

I don't see why not.

This new system allows us to convert any thread to news.

Anyway,
    QFT :)

8. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

A Void, there is no need for such negative energy.

How about we're just happy for the hive actually moving in the direction of the future? :)
    - Pun completely, 100%, not intended. *cough*

I'd like to ask, is this a scenic or playable terraining contest?

Is even scenic terrains possible with the galaxy editor? (I know in the first version
    of the editor there was no way of setting a camera, but there's been two expansions
    since then, maybe they've added the function.)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  9. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Putting contest threads on the news page sounds good. It attracts more people to participate.
    I can't wait to see some entries. Good luck to those who will take part.

10. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Scenic.

It should be possible, if I'm not horribly wrong.

11. Linaze

Linaze

The fact that our Starcraft Moderator does not know whether the editor allows us to set a camera or not goes to show how invested this site truly is in the game.
    That said; good luck and all.

12. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

@Linaze, I don't see any reason for such hostile behaviour.
    I might have used the wrong words, but I said that it was possible to do so unless I completely
    misunderstood Keiji (which I doubt)

If you have any problem about "how invested this site truly is in the game", please use the
    Staff Contact instead.

13. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

I hope this catches on
    with the updated graphics of the sc2 engine, we could see some really beautiful masterpieces!

14. Zordrak

Zordrak

Must i use the Galaxy editor? I only have the Wc3 World-Editor. I already made something (Update is coming):
    Labyrinth of Nightmare (v4)

15. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Yes, you must use the Galaxy Editor.
    This is a by StarCraft contest, after all.

16. Tleno

Tleno

Well I'm probably in, yet to come up with a decent idea though.

17. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

SC2 is free to play so you can probably still enter.

18. Razielx5

Razielx5

I'm pretty good with War3 Editor, but Galaxy Editor is much more advanced... Still havent got the hang of it. Yet, I kinda wanna try this though! Just to see what I can do, win or lose.

19. Heinvers

Heinvers

2D Art Moderator

Hello all. I'll be keeping an eye on this contest from now on. Thx!

Now, no move here I see. If people seem in doubt on how to start off with the SC2 Editor, then I'd insist on you reading up on some sc2mapster terraining tips and experiment with the overall editor before delving fully in.

Here are some starters for those in doubt : )

Also, to answer Keiji's question: yes, scenic terraining is possible in this editor. It's just ever more tricky to have a handle of it at first.
    Once you pass the experimental phase of it, it should be fairly easy to do so.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  20. Mark Mocher

Mark Mocher

Hi, how to apply, i've readed rules but just one quaestion - can i use this style of the terrain ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.