• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Everwood - The unique ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Well, you can just write some suggestions down on a paper, then i'll look through it and make my own versions of the spells. Of course you'll get credits for this.. =)

About your 3 questions:

I've discussed the skill thingy with a friend, and he came up with a very nice suggestion, nice like hell, but also advanced like hell.. =/
At the start i wanted to create 8 skills for each class, and 2 elite skills. Until yesterday, this was still the plan. But my friend suggested an rather unique skill system.
From a town or city you can access a skill choosing area. Here you can choose up to 8 skills and 2 elite skills, which will then be equipped on the hero. This makes the game a lot more fun because of the masses of different spells and you can't just bring everything. But i would have to make LOTS of spells, so all of them can't be trigger enchanted...
Also, i would have to create a skill choose system. Maybe a very advanced one which fills the entire screen and uses click and equip commands. I can't explain it because it would be difficult, but for the ones who knows coding, a Trackables system.

Every skill has only 1 level, but its effectiveness increases with level, strenght, agility and inteligence.

The player starts with only few skills, but as the game progresses, players will unlock more spells.

Rui, i'll tell Yohobofire what you said about the ground texture. But we have already exceeded the maximum number of tiles, so we can't vary much anymore.
And thanks for cleaning the thread. =)
(Where did i double-post more than 2 times within 24 hours? =0 )

I thoud of something like this too. However it was too much work so I didn't start with it.:D

How's progress going with your RPG?

Level 4
We have made some updates for the map since last time i posted.

• Added 9 helmets
  • Added 20 shields
  • Added 5 rings
  • Coded 3 advanced spells

You can see screenshots of the items in the first page. All items added are set up with the equipment system and attachment system. I will soon post some screens of heroes with items equipped/attached.

If you have any ideas for spells please post them, me and Yohobofire would be happy to see someone is interested in the project and helps with ideas. =)
-You will get full credits in the map if you have a good spell idea.

Just edit the post before that, and use it as an updates post... :hohum: dont double post.

Reactions: Rui
Level 7
I have idea for rogue ability:

Hit and Run: Rogue would blink to the targeted enemy unit, dealing heavy melee damage, and then automatically blink 450 degrees away in a random direction.

Level 9
onisaiyan808 said:
I have passed by this thread and only read it up until now and I must effing say.

This
Map
Will
Be
God
!!!

Haha thx ^^

Mr.Goblin said:
i want to play!!! ARRGggg .. really .. WOW its just so amazing... my dream was to make a map like that... but i'm far to be as good as you are.. i can only make terrains and skins.. :'(

Actually we're thinking of recruiting another skinner. A few months or weeks ago we thought of a nice way to have a lot of unique and lowsized armor pieces for the attachment system, but that would require a lot of skinning work.

Basically we make a small icon for every attachment and use it as an icon for the item, but we ALSO use the icon as a skin for the model which will be displayed on the hero.

This way we can have lots of unique attachments that we can design ourself without being limited to ingame textures.

We're also recruiting a modeler talented in making SFX's.

Pm me here and maybe show some of your work if you think you're able to work for us. =)

Mr.Goblin said:
Just edit the post before that, and use it as an updates post... dont double post.

The reason i make a new post, is that some people are lazy (including me d; ). I NEVER check a threat for new posts, i just log into my User CP and see if someone has posted in threads i'm subscribed to. If i just edit a post i posted weeks ago, people subscribed to this thread won't get the notice in their CP.

And please stop saying somthing is based from WoW! Just because WoW has a spell, which looks like something another game has made, it's not "based" on the WoW spell. In fact, you can say that WoW is based on other games. There's nothing original in WoW.

Level 9
Okay guys, i've start working on the map again. First i'll make the conditions. They'll be as following:

<------------------------------------------------------------->

Cracked Armor: The target has -10 armor
Blind: The target has a 75% chance to miss with attacks
Poison: Long lasting small health degeneration
Bleeding: Half long, half short medium health degeneration
Burning: Short lasting rapid health degeneration
Cripple: The target is moving 50% slower

Other conditions i've considered

Exchaustion: Spells take twice as long to cast
Weakness: The target deals less physical damage

<------------------------------------------------------------->

The i'll move on to some spells and stuff so every class has the same amount of skills. After that i'll probably decide what will be available in the beta version and make the stuff not accesable unaccesable. Finally i'll do some balancing and stuff and then we'll release the beta.

We plan to make it a closed beta, because it's still in the early development stage. More info will come as the beta get's closer to reality.

Level 9
Did you happen to mod the earthquake ability off of my EMP strike spell?
It seems exactly like it from your description and the image, not sure though.
If it is please give me credits.
-Bane

Level 9
Darkenneko_003 said:
Sounds awesome,
All of those conditions, I think you should include the ones you were considering too.
I've been waiting for awhile, this map will really, really turn out good, keep up the great work mate!

Yes we've been working for quite a long time on this ... 8 months i think? :con:

You must just understand that we're only 2 people working on this and that we also have a life, and that we're working as fast as we can.

lux19 said:
can you give me your chest attachements? i have a project to but i need more chest attachements and i have all the attachements ineed from this page

Which chest attachment do you mean? =0
If you're talking about the battle-mage one, sure, you can have it, but i won't give away the molten core and the crystal one.

Also, the size of the chest attachment doesn't fit all models, and i won't help you fix that.

Bane said:
Did you happen to mod the earthquake ability off of my EMP strike spell?
It seems exactly like it from your description and the image, not sure though.
If it is please give me credits.
-Bane

I NEVER steal others work. Everything in Everwood is coded from scratch, except some minor systems i was to lazy to write on my own (Knockback, Jump).
I guess it's just a very original idea and it's used by a lot of mapmakers.

Level 9
Closed Beta?! What The Swiss Cheese Inside The Feast Form Subway?!?!?!

I'm So In!

Where Do I Sign Up?!

haha, i don't know yet. When we're ready for the beta you can sign up for it, but there's some rules you must follow.

Also, the first closed beta won't just be for fun. The testers can of course play the map, but they're also supposed to look for different kinds of bugs.

And of course, not everything will be available in the first release, like the arena, the main quests and maybe some other systems, but a lot will be in it.

Level 9
Shoot me a PM when you two decide to do some play testing. I am very knowledgeable in basically every aspect of custom gaming and the intricacies of the world editor in general. I'm fairly interested in your project, as I have one of my own that you may or may not have already seen a few threads down.

Good Luck

Level 9
s[i]n;839704 said:
Shoot me a PM when you two decide to do some play testing. I am very knowledgeable in basically every aspect of custom gaming and the intricacies of the world editor in general. I'm fairly interested in your project, as I have one of my own that you may or may not have already seen a few threads down.

Good Luck

Yes, i have seen your project, and it looks great imo. =)
I can't pm everyone when the testing will start, so please take a look at this thread occasionaly to see when the testing will start.

Mount System

I almost forgot about this system untill ealier today when i looked through some of the pages of this thread, and red about it. But anyways, here it is. =P

MountSystem1.jpg

I might modify the model of the hero later on so it will look more like he's actually riding the animal. d:

haha, i don't know yet. When we're ready for the beta you can sign up for it, but there's some rules you must follow.

Also, the first closed beta won't just be for fun. The testers can of course play the map, but they're also supposed to look for different kinds of bugs.

And of course, not everything will be available in the first release, like the arena, the main quests and maybe some other systems, but a lot will be in it.

Of course. Like all good ORPG's during their first closed beta.

I'll be ready when that time comes and I'll be sure to follow the rules and report all bugs.

Level 9
Yeah, you will need to edit the scaling on the horse model if you are just going to attach a model to its chest. They use the same scaling so if you scale the horse via unit scaling the attachment will get bigger also.

Level 9
i Already Did That When I Posted The Post, That Screen Is Just An Example Of How It Will Look.

I Also Modified The Rider So It Looks More Like He's Riding The Animal.

I'll Also Make Some Special System/model Editing So That The Armor The Hero Is Wielding When He Mounts His Horse Also Will Show On The Hero When He's Riding The Horse.

And I've Just Finished The Condition Systen. I Made It Re-apply Itself If The Target Receives A Condition It Already Has.

I just finished the basics of the mount system, and while running around in the map i took some screenshots, which i thought i might as well share with you.

Please note, i suck at taking screenshots. Yohobofire gotta do this in the future d:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Tags doesn't seem to work =0

Edit: Now they do =P

Level 12
Woa, looking awesome so far.

I'd be happy to help with testing. I'm a pretty experienced mapper by self & fluent in Jass. I should know what to look out for, in bug hunting & potential abuses.
Wouldn't mind spending a few hours testing & giving you a 'feedback report'. assuming that's what you're looking for. Just PM me, when ready / if you need me.

==

Just examined the Camera screenshots. Very impressive.

Tip: I'd recommend resizing the minimap thou, when you move between sections, so its easier to navigate. So for example, if you ever "The Forest" Map Bounds are adjusted around that area.

Just noticed this project when Fulla linked it to me, it looks pretty sweet.

If you still need someone to make you various attachments then I can help out. I have no previous Warcraft models to show, but I can make some stuff if you need proof of my abilities as a modeller. I make all my models from scratch in 3DS Max 2009, but if the models can't get exported properly I could make it in 3DS Max 5, after practising a bit with mesh editing instead of poly.

Level 9
RolePlaynGamer said:
Fulla said:
Woa, looking awesome so far.

I'd be happy to help with testing. I'm a pretty experienced mapper by self & fluent in Jass. I should know what to look out for, in bug hunting & potential abuses.
Wouldn't mind spending a few hours testing & giving you a 'feedback report'. assuming that's what you're looking for. Just PM me, when ready / if you need me.

==

Just examined the Camera screenshots. Very impressive.

Tip: I'd recommend resizing the minimap thou, when you move between sections, so its easier to navigate. So for example, if you ever "The Forest" Map Bounds are adjusted around that area.

Having you on the testing team would be really great =P

I thought of the same about the camera, just one thing. Is it possible to change the ingame minimap image during the game? =0
Later when we've already done at least one beta, we'll make something called an "action panel", with a few actions you can do. These includes a world map, a custon attribute system with a few more. We haven't really decided yet.. =/

ragingspeedhorn said:
Just noticed this project when Fulla linked it to me, it looks pretty sweet.

If you still need someone to make you various attachments then I can help out. I have no previous Warcraft models to show, but I can make some stuff if you need proof of my abilities as a modeller. I make all my models from scratch in 3DS Max 2009, but if the models can't get exported properly I could make it in 3DS Max 5, after practising a bit with mesh editing instead of poly.

We would be happy to have you at out team! You don't need to prove anything, since i've already seen a lot of your work.. =)
Can you do both the job of the skinner AND the modeler?

And if you don't know how we're gonna manage our attachments please pm me or something, and i'll explain.

onisaiyan808 said:
>.< He's so far away, it's hard to see how perfectly he's positioned (no homo).

We know you're not a homo.. d;

I'll make a close screenshot and post it in a while.

Edit:

Here's the screenshot as promised;

MountSystem2.jpg

Hey everyone.

First of all, we've finally found a modeler! Raginspeedhorn has joined the team and will now be making models for our map.

Welcome, ragingspeedhorn! =D

Now when that's said, i have very good news for all of you. The closed beta test is very close and i'm soon making the testing team. It will consist of around 15-20 players. There are specific rules you must follow if you choose to test. More detailed information will be given later.

So basically, i'm putting together a team now. I already have a few people in mind which i want on the testing team. If you want to join the team, please write at this thread and tell me something about how you're going to test it (LAN, B-net, singleplayer), how much experience you have with custom maps, how much time you're putting into testing and any other information which might be useful for me to know.

But please mind that the testings won't begin tomorow, we still need, maybe a few weeks, to polish the map, finish the last spells, import the last models and more.

More information will come.

Level 9
Whatsup man,
I have been looking over your project for some time and i'm very pleased. i am looking to be part of the testing team. I've been modding warcraft 3 for 3 years and if selected to be part of the team i will test it over Battle.net, singleplayer, and LAN with my friends. I am very interested in your RPG and it really looks like it could be revolutionary in warcraft3 custom mapping, I will be testing your map quite a bit if i am given the priveledge to be on the testing team and as i said before on all platforms of play (single, lan, battle.net).

Thank you for your time and i hope you consider me for the position,
-Bane

Hey everyone.

First of all, we've finally found a modeler! Raginspeedhorn has joined the team and will now be making models for our map.

Welcome, ragingspeedhorn! =D

Now when that's said, i have very good news for all of you. The closed beta test is very close and i'm soon making the testing team. It will consist of around 15-20 players. There are specific rules you must follow if you choose to test. More detailed information will be given later.

So basically, i'm putting together a team now. I already have a few people in mind which i want on the testing team. If you want to join the team, please write at this thread and tell me something about how you're going to test it (LAN, B-net, singleplayer), how much experience you have with custom maps, how much time you're putting into testing and any other information which might be useful for me to know.

But please mind that the testings won't begin tomorow, we still need, maybe a few weeks, to polish the map, finish the last spells, import the last models and more.

More information will come.

Since I'm in, I might as well tell you how I can try to do this. My vacation is almost over and I'm about to start school again so, I can start testing 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. (GMT-10:00) Hawaii, B.Net or Lan or Single Player.

Level 12
How would you make spells take twice as long to cast? The only way to do that would be to make every spell channeled and have triggers counting the channel time.

It can be done, but is it really worth the effort and sacrifice?

Level 9
Awesome, im proud to be on the testing team.
Ill be checking this thread regularly but if theres special information you need to tell me just toss me a PM.

Thanks again,
-Bane

Level 9
System Thoughts

Heya everyone.

Yohobofire, ragingspeedhorn and me have been talking about some systems we might implent into the map, and we want to share them with you, so that you can rate them and discuss them.

There's 2 systems all in all, which i feel like sharing with you.

Comments HIGHLY appreciated =)

One of the ideas was the custom mount system. In the start, we only planned to make 2 mounts, horse and armored horse. But the mount system turned out so awesome, that we decided to make even more. We combined this with the idea of giving players rewards for doing special things in the game, and, i, atleast, think this idea would be awesome.

This 'system' lets you earn bonus mounts by doing various stuff ingame. Untill now, we've planned a few of them.

Seal: Maxing your fishing level.
Chicken: Maxing your cooking level.
Peon: Maxing your mining level.
Acolyte/necromancer/abonimation: Participating in some undead minigame we haven't made yet (suggestions welcome).
Gnoll: Being the champion in the arena.
Murloc: Do all primary quests.
Dragon: Do all optional quests.

This system is very advanced but also VERY unique.
It's har to explain, but i'll try.

Let's say that the spellbook you have in your action panel is your skillbar. Your skillbar contains 11 skills. 2 passive, 7 skills and 2 elites.
But for each profession there's 50 spells, and you can't use all of them.

So in every town there's a Skill Chooser NPC, and if you talk to him, you can equip and unequip your skills. This will work through a trackable system, which will fill the entire screen. In the right side of the screen you can see your skillbar and which skills you've currently equiped. In the left side you can see all of the skills you've unlocked, and can choose to equip.

Pros:
-It's very unique
-It'll brign the game to a new level
-You'll have to think of which skills to choose
-If you play priest, you can choose to go smiting healing or even a third thing?

Cons
-I'll have to make LOTS of spells, so not everyone of them can be really cool
-I won't save unlocked abilities with a save/load code, it would simply take up to many letters

Also, there's a few things i want you to give your oppinion in.

I've been thinking since we started working on this map, how heroes should be able to get their skills. I don't want them to start with every skill, so i need some suggestions from you guys, on how the heroes should be able to acquire skills. Should they acquire them through quests? Doing various tasks? From advancing in levels? Or even buy them with gold or ability points? Or all of them? =0

I look forward to your answers =)

The systems sound very interesting.
1. Custom Mount System:
Great idea for the mount bonus reward.

Skillbar System:
1. Sounds unique.
2. Makes your orpg much better.
3. Hope u make it.

Acquiring skills:
Ideas:

Getting spells through quests.
Can buy them in shop(But u cant buy powerfull spells if u are lvl 1.Make spells requier lvls like 13,20,27,40,50 etc)
If the hero is lvl 40 he get's spell...

Level 9
I like the idea of a custom mount system,
Only thing is, how the shit do you ride a peon? lol

Skillbar system, i have mixed feelings on it. It's a good idea but as you said you will have to make aton of abilities and it would be a hastle. All in all its a good idea if your willing to burn aton of time on it. This should be one of the last features you put in, as it will take a while.

Acquiring Spells. Certain bosses should drop spells that they used.
Example: An iceboss uses Summon Greater Water Elemental when you kill him theres like a 20% (or 100%) chance that he will drop this spell. It would make the game more interesting, having good spells that you can only get from boss fights.

-Bane

Level 19

I've been thinking since we started working on this map, how heroes should be able to get their skills. I don't want them to start with every skill, so i need some suggestions from you guys, on how the heroes should be able to acquire skills. Should they acquire them through quests? Doing various tasks? From advancing in levels? Or even buy them with gold or ability points? Or all of them? =0

I look forward to your answers =)

Well I think I have an idea about this:
An example:
Your career is a... priest.
Skills are divided in 3 things: Smiting, Healing, Prayers.
This priest has 50 abilities (tip: all make them based on intelligence or hero level, so only 1 level of the ability is needed.. Saves alot of work and save code space)
When a priest does something ingame his Smiting/Healing/Prayer rank can go up. And every ability can be learned at a trainer.
You want the ability: "Holy Smite", but it requires Smiting rank 3. Then you need to do certain quests, or train it to get the spell from the trainer.

Second idea:
Players can't see which spells they can learn in future.
They receive items as quest rewards that look a bit like this:

Dark Rune of the Living Dead.
Description: Turn this in at a nearby skill trainer to see which knowledge can be gained from this item.
Classes: Necromancer, Deathknight.. etc..

When the hero talks to a skill trainer and has this item in his inventory, the trainer can tell him which skills can be learned by the item. Maybe even optionable.

Dark Rune of the Living Dead.
Skills able to learn:
1. Animate Dead (Deathknight)
2. Raise Dead (Necromancer)

Here are some idea's which may proove useful, gl with your map.

Oh and can I be a beta tester?

I'm an overall decent World Editor person. I know a bit of everything. My strongest point is terraining and..... Idea's:grin:

Level 4
Hello , I have been checking on this project since beggining of the thread and I would like to be part of your Beta Testing Team.
I am very skilled in GUI trigger , and I am making an ORPG map too ( http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f202/bladedleaf-openrpg-90075/ )
I am excilent at inventing new systems and doing them in GUI.
And the most inportant part :
If I get into team, I wont say a word about contents of this map to anyone.

................Awaiting your answer....

~Skore_sM

Level 8
The Custom Mount system sounds really, really nice. =]
I can't wait to see how it takes place in The game, it sounds and looks amazing.

Skill bar system, also amazing,
Sorry you will have to make tons of spells but something great doesn't just happen without effort. =/
I Know you can do it tho, You've done amazing so Far.

Acquiring skills.
Mix it up, Start with some, Others you must Learn through trainers, Some you get as Awards.
Some you find secret books with the knowledge of the skills, Just anything, Combining will make it very interesting.

Anyways, Great Job so far,
I can't wait To See how it all turns out. =]

Level 9
Skore_sM and Teuncreemers, i put both of you on the testing team.

About the peon mount, i guess the hero will sit on his back while it carries him around =P

The mount system will be implented, but not in the first closed beta, maybe in the first open release.

About the skill system, i can tell you it won't be in the first betas, and i guess not in the first release. When the map is basically finish, and we maybe just need a few polishments, i might implent it. The only thing which might get a problem, is that i don't have advanced knowlegde working with images and such. But hey, you gotta learn somewhere :b

And now i've decided about acquiring skills. Skills will be given through a lot of different stuff. Some units drop tomes, which you can use to learn skills, and some bosses drop elite tomes, which is the only way to acquire elite skills. There might be a few quests which also gives elites. There'll also be a merchant in every big town, which can teach you spells. Some spells you earn by doing various things, like beating a certain enemy in the arena etc.

Thanks for your support so far, i'm really appreciating it.. ^_^

Level 9
The plans have been changed. We won't start by releasing a beta version, but an alpha version. We had a large beta team in no time, so the alpha team will only consist of the people here i've known for a long time.

The reason we won't start by releasing a beta, is that i don't want you to release an unfinished map which might have some really big mistakes. When we feel the map is ready for the beta, we'll release a short closed beta and then move on to the open beta.

I have a few friends which i'll do the alpha with.

But don't worry, you're welcome to join the open beta, and also the closed one.

If you in any way feel i've failed you or something, feel free to contact me on e-mail or msn.

-->"[email protected]"<--

Level 8
The plans have been changed. We won't start by releasing a beta version, but an alpha version. We had a large beta team in no time, so the alpha team will only consist of the people here i've known for a long time.

The reason we won't start by releasing a beta, is that i don't want you to release an unfinished map which might have some really big mistakes. When we feel the map is ready for the beta, we'll release a short closed beta and then move on to the open beta.

If you in any way feel i've failed you or something, feel free to contact me on e-mail or msn.

Its all Good,
Its your map, you make the decisions, and it will be better to take it at a slower rate.
The longer the work the better it will turn out, You've done great so far, Keep up the amazing work.
We are all proud, [and waiting]. =]
-Calvin

I'm guessing I'm not on the alpha team. D=

Damnit and yes, I am aware that I'm still welcomed to join the beta team, but D= is all I can describe it as.

Level 3
WOW this sounds amazing! This is VERY well made and i wish i could've followed this longer, cant right now,but id like to rifle through these pages and see the info :D I love the whole idea of this, and I look forward to a "open" release :)

oh i might be mistaken but ive remembered a few times seeing a map up on battle.net called everwood and i saw it hosted several times,i might be mistaken though

Level 5
Wow, seems like you will spend some time on this! Like the idea to.
Now, i didnt read the story but the serval systems you have is pretty damn good. The mount system seems good and the attachment to. I have two questions.
One: Will this be a multiplayer map (because that would be awsome:grin:)
and Two: IF this will be a multiplayer map, will all players have the same model?
Rep+ for a totaly AWSOME project:xxd:

Level 8
Now, i didnt read the story but the serval systems you have is pretty damn good. The mount system seems good and the attachment to. I have two questions.
and Two: IF this will be a multiplayer map, will all players have the same model?

You Obviously didn't read the first Page.
Features

* An advanced camera system that lets you view the hero from all possible angles. use the arrow keys to zoom/rotate and the mouse scroll to move up and down.
* An equipment system, that, when an item is pressed in the inventory, it appears in the spellbook called 'Equipment' Then you can un-equip it by clicking on it there.
* An advanced hero selection system where you toogle between the heroes using arrow keys up and down, and choose the hero by pressing esc. When a hero is shown, some text appears, telling about the hero.
* Lots of custom spells that makes the game more fun to play
* An arena where you can fight or just bet your gold on fights
* Items equipped on the hero displays themself on the hero. (NOTE: As said, we are perfectionists, so no odd placing here!)
* Items lying on the ground uses their own model, by using a modified item spinner model from General Frank (with permission).
* Crafts like Fishing, Skinning, Smithing and a few more, which you can advance in, if you get bored of fighting monsters.
* Up to 8 players can play at the same time

Your questions are answered, =]

Level 9
Pizza1295 said:
WOW this sounds amazing! This is VERY well made and i wish i could've followed this longer, cant right now,but id like to rifle through these pages and see the info :D I love the whole idea of this, and I look forward to a "open" release :)

oh i might be mistaken but ive remembered a few times seeing a map up on battle.net called everwood and i saw it hosted several times,i might be mistaken though

There might be other maps called Everwood =P

woxx said:

1. Yes it will support up to 8 players. The code will also be looked through carefully, so it shouldn't even lag. At least not if players has decent computers.
2. If i understand this question right, then the answer is yes. The heroes will have the same model and same skin. There's several reasons for this.
-We can have all sorts of attachments.
-Since the players can equip themselves with lots of different equipment, i guess it doesn't really matter that the heroes use the same skin, since you can't really see it because of the equipment.

This is just a few of them.

I've updated the list of features on the first page to include a lot of the things i intend to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.