1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Wolfe, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Dragonson

Dragonson

Resources:
    Resources:
    No problem at all.
    In the future, just tell me what you need.
    The offer for those customised sigs (Maybe a slightly diffirent theme? Fall? Summer? Winter? Ancient Ruins? Demonic?) is still open, and know that i can do everything from icons to skins if i dont have to follow hive submission rules.
    I dont do much copypaste, but being able to rely abit on layer styles 'n such can produce awesome stuff.
    'specially for roots and plants.

2. Tukki

Tukki

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You've just made an offer I cannot refuse.

*Compiling list of artwork*

3. Dragonson

Dragonson

Resources:
    Resources:
    Speaketh uppeth then!
    Wolfe told me he'd need some thread artwork a few days ago, but never told me what exactly was needed.
    Yes, that's a question wolfe. :p

4. Davesanz

Davesanz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can you add some screenshots of the character models please?

5. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Live with realistic non-playable characters that go to work in the morning and sleep at night"

Just curious, have you incorporated beds and sleep anims or will they 'disappear' or perhaps stand in a corner with ZzzZZzzzZZZz?

Sorry if that sounds patronising, I am generally just curious, the first would be awesome, the second would be great enough (can't say I'm too keen on the 3rd...).
    Or did you have something even cooler in mind?! :D

6. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well not all buildings will be enterable (especially at night - unrealistic for someone to leave their doors unlocked for total strangers), so the first is out of the question. They will, however, disappear into their homes, guard patrols will increase and thieves/murderers will increase (murderers just appear, but thieves do exist during the day as well). Certain creeps will also become more active (such as bandits) and some less active (such as the ogre kind of the marshes).

It really is a complex system, and will take a while to implement, but I feel that immersion is one of the keys to a successful game.

7. Tukki

Tukki

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    My plan was for them to walk to some random house and 'disappear' into the house.
    ------

Currently they citizens of Kravengarde can walk around in the city using 'roads'.
    A system monitors the current load on the few 'connection points', and projects a route depending on that load.
    Essentially this means that some merchants may appear more often in areas with much people, than in the less frequently used parts of the city.
    This is however, kind of random, and still in alpha status - so don't expect any villagers to become thieves and be chased by guards or anything.
    (Might be one or two scripted thieves, but no dynamic things)

So, about the sleep. They'll probably disappear in the demo version.
    (No beds or animations are planned at this point)
    In a more advanced version of the villager ai, one or two might become thieves at night, while others go to the bar or maybe to the garrison.
    (Just examples)
    ------

A little progress update too:
    • 2 more Paragon spells completed (he's now 99% finished, got some object editing left to do).
    • A set of test items have been created, and there might appear a small preview of the current inventory interface build later this week!

Also, I'm going away on Friday (4th) and will come back on the 11th.
    So no coding updates during that time! :/

Hope this suffices as an answer!

8. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Also, folks, there will be three thread updates over the next four to five days.

• i: an update to the story, introducing players to their role in the game, the tensions of the empire, the zones and beasts you will encounter
    • ii: an update to the features list with in-depth descriptions and screenshots (this is a over-a-span-of-time thing)
    • iii: more screenshots (we know you love them)
    • iv: everything about classes (with the exception of a few things) including progression, skills, stories, etc.
    • v: combat section - everything about combat (casting, projectiles, experience, stats, items, ai, conditions, etc.)

Until tonight!

9. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome, so guards will arrest or kill thieves?
    Do the other citizens 'run' or 'panic' around murderers?
    Aww man there is so much you could do with that.

Immersion indeed... :S
    I'm overloading with the possibilities!! :D

10. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, it is a shame that we can't achieve it all.

One thing we could implement is some sort of "White Lion Reputation" system (the White Lions being the military of the empire) where doing things such as arresting thieves and killing murderers (yes, capital punishment) will give you reputation and open up other possibilities for late-game (the most obvious being items, but perhaps other things too?).

I think the most complex of this system will be demonstrated in Post Demo, where both creeps and allies will be influenced by artificial intelligence.

11. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Time constraints? Engine limits?
    I've always had this theory that the right AI system would... supposedly drive itself, it might not need to be as complex as most people think.

12. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, a bit of both. We've been working on this demo too long already (hehe), and the engine limits may not be able to support it (with the old AI, we did experience a fraps increase that did cause lag).

You know, if you are really overwhelmed with ideas (and this is to all fans), do not hesitate to PM either myself or Tukki (as he is the one coding it, hehe).

13. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh sure, yeah I will ofc.
    There's a few a little things that stand in my way but if I ever get past them I'll let you guys know =)
    Until then keep us/me posted on... everything (cough, ai + other 'immersive' stuff)

14. shadowsun

shadowsun

Resources:
    Resources:
    i know i am a bit slow here but Dragonson if you made the top of the wolfs head from the ears back to the roots look more like fur i think that would make the wolf look a bit more natural.

15. HeroSlayer

HeroSlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok guys, I know you never hear from me, xD
    I've been working with textures, and with models. So im currently making a new texture for the hero.
    You will be able to see it soon, along with a starting set :) :goblin_yeah:

I agree.

16. Dragonson

Dragonson

Resources:
    Resources:
    @HeroSlayer and Shadowsun
    Already tried something like that. Doesnt work out.
    Sometimes you just gotta sit back, take a look at your design, and tell yourself whether this cool new idea still has that neat look.
    It did not, sadly. :S

Also, wolfe's told me what art he needs me to do.
    I didnt really do anything yesterday, but expect some stuff later today.

17. Tukki

Tukki

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    A little update on the Paragon:
    • All spells now 100% coded and I've just tool-tip fixes left to do!

It seemed like I was a bit optimistic in my earlier estimation :p
    However, it's all finished now, which means that there's only one hero-spell left to code!!
    (It's currently under re-designing)

Got to compile D's list of things and then there's a lot of homework waiting for me :>

18. Dragonson

Dragonson

Resources:
    Resources:
    I currently have a big list of work to do from you guys, most of which i FINALLY got two days ago ;), and i sadly wont be finishing any before friday.

Right now i'm tired as f****, as i just finished the most tiresome sig in my life.
    So many designs... Lost to my discard bucket or crushed under my crashing computer...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

...aaand tomorrow's my birthday.
    So i wont really be doing much then either. :p
    (Note that it is very late where i live, not early in the morning.)

19. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like the goblin exploration, keep up the good work. And I cant wait to see the borders your going to make for us!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  20. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dragon, Dragon, Dragon!
    The fur addition wouldn't be too bad actually you just need the right brush =D
    Not sure if photoshop has one but I know my iPod Sketchbook app does, you just want a 'fibre' brush, do a few highlighted layers, few shadows. PROFIT! =D

Looking forward to that model and texture HeroSlayer <3 O_O