• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dodgeball! 1.2

Dodgeball 1.2

Objective

Play in either "Red Team" or "Green Team".

The rules are simple, you cast abilities that moves dodgeballs and you try to hit the other teams heroes with the dodgeballs.
When a hero is struck by a dodgeball that hero will be "killed" and moved outside the play court where they are temporary placed until the round ends.
A round ends when there are no hero left on one of the teams.
(Some abilities can cause damage, stun other heroes but its an ineffective way to "kill" a hero)

Heroes
You start off the game with the option to pick between 3 heroes.
All heroes have 5 abilities (4 offensive and 1 defensive).

Thor
- Storm Bolt (Point) - (Q)
Thor throws his hammer up to a certain distance, upon
collision causing damage and stuns (seconds).

Level 1 - 70 damage. 1000 distance. 0.50 stun. 15 CD.
Level 2 - 80 damage. 1000 distance. 0.75 stun. 14 CD.
Level 3 - 90 damage. 1000 distance. 1.00 stun. 13 CD.
Level 4 - 100 damage. 1000 distance. 1.25 stun. 12 CD.

- Thunder Clap (Instant) - (W)
Thor slams his hammer into ground, dealing damage.

Level I - 80 damage within 250 AOE. 15 CD.
Level 2 - 100 damage within 250 AOE. 14 CD.
Level 3 - 120 damage within 250 AOE. 13 CD.
Level 4 - 140 damage within 250 AOE. 12 CD.

- Lightning Storm (Point) - (E)
Calls upon a storm and after I second a lightning strikes an area.

Level I - 70 damage within 200 AOE. 15 CD.
Level 2 - 80 damage within 200 AOE. 14 CD.
Level 3 - 90 damage within 200 AOE. 13 CD.
Level 4 - 100 damage within 200 AOE. 12 CD.

- Hammer Flying (Instant) - (D) (Requires level 3)
Thor uses his hammer to fly up in the air and lands at a random location within your side with great impact.

Level I - 80 damage. 125 AOE. 25 CD.
Level 2 - 100 damage. 150 AOE. 22 CD.
Level 3 - 120 damage. 175 AOE. 19 CD.
Level 4 - 140 damage. 200 AOE. 16 CD.

- Hammer Lightning (Point) - (R) (Requires level 6)
Thor sends out a powerful lightning from his hammer. Dealing damage upon area of impact.

Level I - 100 damage. ISO AOE. Range 1000. 30 CD.
Level 2 - 120 damage. 175 AOE. Range 1200. 25 CD.
Level 3 - 140 damage. 200 AOE. Range 1400. 20 CD.

Phoenix Mage
- Phoenix Fire (Point) - (Q)
Sends out Phoenix Fire that travels up to a certain distance and damages upon collision.

Level 1 - 75 damage. 1100 distance. 15 CD.
Level 2 - 90 damage. 1100 distance. 14 CD.
Level 3 - 105 damage. 1100 distance. 13 CD.
Level 4 - 120 damage. 1100 distance. 12 CD.

- Fire Spray (Point) - (W)
Sends out 3 small fireballs that travels up to a certain distance and damages upon collision.

Level 1 - 60 damage each. 1000 distance. 15 CD.
Level 2 - 70 damage each. 1000 distance. 14 CD.
Level 3 - 80 damage each. 1000 distance. 13 CD.
Level 4 - 90 damage each. 1000 distance. 12 CD.

- Magma Eruption (Point) - (E)
Makes the ground tremble and after 1 second an eruption of magma deals damage within an area.

Level 1 - 70 damage within 200 AOE. 15 CD.

- Firewall (Instant) - (D) (Requires level 3)
Creates a Firewall in front that will deflect any projectile and makes you stop immediately.
A Phoenix is not a projectile and will fly through.

Level 1 - The firewall will last 2 seconds. 25 CD.
Level 2 - The firewall will last 3 seconds. 22 CD.
Level 3 - The firewall will last 4 seconds. 19 CD.
Level 4 - The firewall will last 5 seconds. 16 CD.

- Summon Phoenix (Point) - (R) (Requires level 6)
Summons a Phoenix that travels up to a certain distance, causing damage to anything in it's path.

Level 1 - 100 damage. 1200 distance. 30 CD.
Level 2 - 110 damage. 1400 distance. 25 CD.
Level 3 - 120 damage. 1600 distance. 20 CD.

Warlock
- Dark Magic (Point) - (Q)

Sends out Dark Magic that travels up to a certain distance and damages upon collision.
If a rock is hit, then the magic will slowly return.
When it reaches the Warlock, he will stop and collect it's magic for 0.1 sec which will recharge this ability.

Level 1 - 65 damage. 1000 distance. 0 CD.
Level 2 - 75 damage. 1000 distance. 0 CD.
Level 3 - 85 damage. 1000 distance. 0 CD.
Level 4 - 95 damage. 1000 distance. 0 CD.

- Shockwave (Point) - (W)
Charge up a shockwave that will grow in size, damage and distance for 2 seconds.
The shockwave can be released at any given time by clicking towards where you want it to be released at.
The shockwave is released by stuns.

Level 1 - 0-100 damage and 0-1100 distance. 20 CD.
Level 2 - 0-120 damage and 0-1200 distance. 18 CD.
Level 3 - 0-140 damage and 0-1300 distance. 16 CD.
Level 4 - 0-160 damage and 0-1400 distance. 14 CD.

- Binary Explosion (Point) - (E)
Creates two indestructible objects that rotates closer and closer to each other for 1 second.
Upon collision an explosion occurs, dealing damage.

Level 1 - 70 damage within 200 AOE. 15 CD.

- Banish (Target) - (D) (Requires level 3)
Banish a target to another dimension, which will move 30 % faster, but takes more damage from spells.
dodgeballs will collide with what's in its current dimension and all kind of spells.

Level 1 - Lasts 2 seconds. 22 CD.
Level 2 - Lasts 3 seconds. 20 CD.
Level 3 - Lasts 4 seconds. 18 CD.
Level 4 - Lasts 5 seconds. 16 CD.

- Banish Yourself (Instant) - (F) (This spell is automatically added when a player learn "Banish" so that the player can easily instantly Banish itself from harm)
Instantly cast Banish on yourself.

- Consumable Magic (Instant) - (R) (Requires level 6)
Allows the creation of Magical Spheres, which can be consumed to increase damage of your next ability.

Level 1
New Magical Sphere every 6 sec. Max 3 Spheres.
A Sphere consumed increases damage by 30. 0 CD.
Level 2
New Magical Sphere every 5 sec. Max 4 Spheres.
A Sphere consumed increases damage by 35. 0 CD.
Level 3
New Magical Sphere every 4 sec. Max 5 Spheres.
A Sphere consumed increases damage by 40. 0 CD.

New hero Frost Mage
- Frost Bolt (Point) - (Q)

- Frost Bolt Spray (Point) - (W)

- Blizzard (Point) - (E)

- Icewall (Instant) - (D)

- Frost Nova (Point) - (R)

Open source map
This is an old map that I have not worked on for several years. This map is open for anybody to edit, enjoy!

Critical issue - Fixed
There is a known issue with heroes not being moved back into the playfield sometimes when a new round starts.
This should be the first main focus for anybody that takes over this map.

Special thanks to authors for resources
- -Berz- (
BTNLightningBolt)
- Fingolfin (
Parachute)
- Vinz (
Valiant Charge, Pillar of Flame, Conflagrate, Blizzard II)
- Maxwell (
BTNPhoenixFlame
)
- General Frank (
Bloodelf Wizard)
- NFWar (BTNBloodElfWizard)
- Illidan(Evil)X (Laser_Blue)
- pWn3d (SunfireMissile
)
- JetFangInferno (ShockwaveMissile)
Contents

Dodgeball! 1.2 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Seems like a nice mini-game with good physics. Could use some more heroes and game modes in the future. Approved.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A credits list in the map description with the names of the authors whose resources you've used is mandatory. That includes models, skins, icons, custom spells, systems. Also, sounds, music and everything outside this site.
This helps you with the models, skins and icons from Hiveworkshop: Resources in use by Dodgeball! 1.0
You can also upload your map here to generate a list: Asset scanner

I removed 3 resources you've put as assets because that meant downloading them with the map in an archive.

Seems like the description isn't finished.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 3
A credits list in the map description with the names of the authors whose resources you've used is mandatory. That includes models, skins, icons, custom spells, systems. Also, sounds, music and everything outside this site.
This helps you with the models, skins and icons from Hiveworkshop: Resources in use by Dodgeball! 1.0
You can also upload your map here to generate a list: Asset scanner

I removed 3 resources you've put as assets because that meant downloading them with the map in an archive.

Seems like the description isn't finished.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, I will do my best the following weeks to fill in the necessary information!

I guess there was a problem when I pasted in the abilities where i have written "Point, Instant" and so on which cut off the text.

1698529763631.png

Last edited:
Level 3
Hi I played this map, but I think the arena is too large, it's hard to hit anything, not sure

Hey,

The spells deal more damage for each level and will move the dodgeballs quite a lot at further stages of the game.

A normal spell in level 1 is able to move the dodgeball at least 30% of the arenas width.

I don't think the arena is too large, when you are above level 6 since you are able to move the dodgeballs quite far.

Maybe the damage (knockback) of the spells need to have a higher base damage.

I have received some feedback on the cooldowns at early stages of the game being to long when you can only throw out 1 or 2 spells.

Maybe the players should start at level 2 instead of level 1 to make the gameplay more fun?
Maybe the cooldowns of spells in general should be a bit lower?

What do you think?

Bawbz

Hosted Project: SB
Level 13
Played this last night with some friends.

The concept is great and the physics seem legit, but we weren't able to play more than a couple rounds.

For one, the map seems quite buggy - there are times when units simply won't respond to commands. There were instances where targeting spells was a nightmare, the targeting seemed to be getting repeatedly cancelled.

Besides the bugs, I have a few suggestions.

Firstly, I think the normal attacks should be stronger. The pace of the game is quite slow because you need to wait for your cooldowns to do anything that can threaten the opposing team. I think it would be good if your normal attack was reasonably dangerous, and the abilities gave you ways to throw the ball in unexpected ways, hit multiple balls at the same time, summon temporary balls, etc. In other words, the attacks are a fine way to go, but the abilities add the chaos that makes it hard to dodge.

Some of the abilities also seemed overly complicated. A game like this should (in my opinion) have very simple abilities, because you want a fast pace and people won't have the time to read long tooltips and decipher complicated mechanics. The Thunder Clap on the MK is a good example of a simple ability that works well.

Overall, I won't rate the map yet because in my opinion the bugs make it unplayable. I'd love to see a fixed up version though, because it has great potential.

Level 3
Played this last night with some friends.

The concept is great and the physics seem legit, but we weren't able to play more than a couple rounds.

For one, the map seems quite buggy - there are times when units simply won't respond to commands. There were instances where targeting spells was a nightmare, the targeting seemed to be getting repeatedly cancelled.

Besides the bugs, I have a few suggestions.

Firstly, I think the normal attacks should be stronger. The pace of the game is quite slow because you need to wait for your cooldowns to do anything that can threaten the opposing team. I think it would be good if your normal attack was reasonably dangerous, and the abilities gave you ways to throw the ball in unexpected ways, hit multiple balls at the same time, summon temporary balls, etc. In other words, the attacks are a fine way to go, but the abilities add the chaos that makes it hard to dodge.

Some of the abilities also seemed overly complicated. A game like this should (in my opinion) have very simple abilities, because you want a fast pace and people won't have the time to read long tooltips and decipher complicated mechanics. The Thunder Clap on the MK is a good example of a simple ability that works well.

Overall, I won't rate the map yet because in my opinion the bugs make it unplayable. I'd love to see a fixed up version though, because it has great potential.
Thanks a lot for the good feedback!

"There were instances where targeting spells was a nightmare, the targeting seemed to be getting repeatedly cancelled."
I think some of this is related to the bad autoselect system I have created and I have decided I will remove it entirely.

"I think the normal attacks should be stronger."
After getting more and more feedback of how the slow gameplay is to begin with, I do agree that basic attacks should be stronger and I have recently tested around with 75 damage instead of 25 damage, which means that your basic attack is around the same strength as an ability of level 1 :)

Some of the abilities also seemed overly complicated
Yes this is a design issue from my side where I find it fun to create complicated cool spells, however I think that one can get into the spells still quite easy since ability Q and E is basically the same ones on each hero. Sadly I cant do much regarding this in the current state.

Storm Bolt
I have received a lot of feedback that the stun is not long enough to take advantage when a hero is hit and therefore it will be increased by 0.25 sec.

Questions
Did you and your friends have any problem with getting back your heroes into the arena after a round finished?

Level 3
We did not have this issue, but we didn't play too many rounds.

I did notice that the balls were persisting between rounds, not sure if that was intentional or not.

No that's not intentional, at its current state there should always only be 4 balls, this is an issue I have heard about before that I have on my long todo list.

I will do my best to slowly make the map more stable in coming months.