• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Brewnall Village

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
-BREWNALL VILLAGE-

# Free hand submission #
** First UPDATE version v2.1 **

Under the icy shores of Lake Brewnall there stir uprisings of miniature gnomes. The humble Dwarves have fished in this area for generations, and aren't about to give up their ice fishing hole without a fight. Battle for domination in this fast map!

Information

Screenshots

Changelog

Credits

Authors Notes

- Players : 2
- Tileset : Modified Lordaeron Winter
- Gold Mines : 3 per player
- Play Style : Fast

See attachments for Screenshots.

[2019-05-19] First uploaded version ver2.0
[2019-05-22] Updated to version 2.1 on Nudl9 suggestions
- Made Tavern central
- Updated Shop position
- Updated doodads
- Reworked first expansion pathing
- Included Nudl9's ramps
- Made trees more natural, less chokepoints
- Updated creep balance and added two more creep camps
More to come

Created by RFWH.
Plz like and subscribe.
Copyright 2019.

Kuhl
Contents

Brewnall Village (Map)

Reviews
Nudl9
I didn't play it, i said i recommend you playtest it to see if it works. I tried opening the map. You have a lot of things to fix: -Creep drops are not balanced at all, check 1v1 maps in the competitive pool for reference on how to balance drops...
deepstrasz
I'd appreciate it if you'd use the normal minimap as the map preview image for the forum and use that one you've uploaded in the thread description for the presentation. There are spaces between trees. You can't reach them before cutting some down...
Level 24
I didn't play it, i said i recommend you playtest it to see if it works.

I tried opening the map.
You have a lot of things to fix:
-Creep drops are not balanced at all, check 1v1 maps in the competitive pool for reference on how to balance drops.
-Gold mine creeps have camp aggro, when it should be aggressive aggro.
-Too many chokepoints near the mana fountain
-Lots of creeps will draw aggro when you send units past the amp.
-Creeps block the path for scouting units
-Shops are basicly free and are too close too each other, a player could easily amass 4 healing scrolls and GG.
-Base ramps are not good. I made ramps larger and added a secondary ramp to make the ramp concept function better. As well as rocks to prevent cannon tower placement.
-Lots of unused areas without trees.
-The center goldmines are pointless. I changed them to laboratories in the fixed version.
-Fountain of mana presents huge imbalance issues with mana hungry heroes.
-Lots of holes in the trees. Check pathing with hotkey P.

I made a rough draft of changes that would greatly improve the map and make it so it actually gets accepted. I leave the polishing up to you.

Attachments

• BrewnallVillage fixed.w3x
    127.3 KB · Views: 25
Level 8
@deepstrasz Why awaiting update? It's a complete map, plz check it for yourself

You want me to delete the Taverns or what?

@Nudl9 Can you explain what power ups you put for your creeps? I do put a lot of thought into the balance of my creep drops. I don't want to put too many high Level Permanent items, and I put only certain Charged items that are not OP (no potion of invincibility, high healing). I also include lower level power ups in the high Level creeps for second and third Heroes. Wonder what you think?

@Nudl9 Look at Concealed Hill.... Two Health Fountains. And look at Plunder Isle... no Taverns.

@Nudl9 Maybe I can just change the Mana Fountains to Health Fountains. I agree the forest part is too dense.

Last edited:
Level 24
Well the thing about Plunder Isle is that people veto that map. Nobody is playing it, it's just not good. Everybody hates maps without taverns. Theres just less options available = less freedom of choice = bad. Also its like really really bad for NE that have no good secondary/third heroes. You're creating an imbalance.

Concealed is a wierd example. Healing fountains aren't particulary popular since they favor KOTG+hunts in the current meta. Their high mobility combined with their squishiness is suddenly mitigated giving the full hp again which is what NE struggles with and also gives super map control since fountains are in center. So yeah healing fountains doesn't really work in 1v1 maps. Healing fountains are generally not fun to play against, play on or with, as it reduces economy management and skill in terms of sustaining health. Overall it lowers the skill capacity in a way that is most often detrimental. So you can add them in training maps for noobs. It can be used in FFA as seen on Murguls Oasis (unless LV fucked that up). Or they can be useful in cases where you want to extend a game artificially so that you get more large scale battles where both players have 60+ food armies - as seen on Synergy, but thats a 2v2 map.

As for items ehh check other maps.
A quick example if creep level:
4-5: Tome
6-8: Permanent 1
8-10: Charged 2
9-12: Permanent 1/2 + Tome
12-16: Permanent 3
18: Permanent 4 or Charged 3 + Tome 2.
20-24: Permanent 5
26+: Permanent 6 or just drop some artifacts with 100% droprate

Charged 4 should be used with care as getting a good summon can end games.
Same with Charged 3, mana potion is a game ender for UD.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I'd appreciate it if you'd use the normal minimap as the map preview image for the forum and use that one you've uploaded in the thread description for the presentation.

1. There are spaces between trees. You can't reach them before cutting some down but at least fill those spaces with some nice doodads. Some parts are opened without needing to cut. Please read about melee map making and see how you can correctly place trees. RFWHmap01.png
  2. Militia expires quite fast, just after getting through the map middle.
  3. Careful with some camps like the murlocs guarding the shop as they are too in front and could attack scouting units.
  4. Looking at the minimap ingame, some creep dots and neutral building are not quite symmetrically placed.
  5. Neutral hostile units don't start with full mana; player units and heroes do. You have to individually set the mana full for them since there's an issue that doesn't let you do it when selecting multiple units at a time.
  6. Some camps like the furbolgs in the north have units placed with their back at the enemy which means at least 0.5s for them to turn while being attacked. Same with the ogres near the merc camp; murlocs of the northern shop; golems at the mines. Check all creep camps once more.
  7. Generally, place camps more inside a U shaped doodad/destructible zone.
  8. Some ramps are glitched like the one to the northern player.
Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/