1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[AoS] Invasion in Duskwood

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Luorax, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im not so sure if you would implement it or not. Since placing would make battles more epic/better but removing it might make game time longer, making the game more enjoyable.

Also, whose project?

2. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, I don't think CDR affects any way the game length; it just adds another stat, that I actually really like in LoL. The cooldows are also made to be short, you can expect lots of abilities with 3-8 seconds cooldown. Regen ratios are also quite high, so you don't have to be affraid of running out of mana if you cast one more ability.

Well, it's actually my project, but considering how much I rely on my friend, I tend to call this project ours; but I'm still the leader :)

3. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I read about the progress regularly but what do you expect us to write down with the current information state? You have displayed your confidence multiple times and not struck any discussion before nor have you done what I suggested in the first posts except the story exposition.

That's probably the first contentual question you ask and besides not knowing much else about the project, I think CDR is an interesting/viable attribute and I do not see either how it would directly affect game length. Perhaps, I would have included it in my project as well if it was not for the bad presentability.

4. watermelon_1234

watermelon_1234

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I've been keeping an eye on this since the custom systems look neat. ^_^

A CDR would be pretty awesome if WC3 could support cooldowns like that. It might look a bit jarring to have your ability have 50% cooldown and suddenly be able to be used.

You could try to attach any interesting pictures to the main post while also leaving that ImageShack link so that people can see them directly here.

5. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, I'm not that good at presentations for sure. But after all, we shall see what people think about the project, won't we?

I'm actually working on a forum that contains all the spell descriptions, base stats, background stories of heroes and everything about items. It also describes a few unique/different from other maps mechanisms, but the list is not finished yet. I'll share the forum's link once I finally get the missing icons and have all the current heroes finished their spells (currently I'm planning on reworking a passive; it has X% proc chance, but since I don't like things that can proc, I'm going to give it an "every Xth casted spell" thing). With that forum shared, most of the map will be public.

Hmm, I don't really know which pictures to post there, there're soooo many things that I want to share. I should make a video instead, demonstrating the recipe system, the tooltips (spells/buffs), the hero selection system, damage texts, and things like that. Well, it might be made once I can finally put my hands on those icons and models. With the CDR system a new feature would also come: cooldown manipulation. The most obvious example comes from League of Legends:

Arcane Master: (Innate): When Ryze casts a spell, all other spells have their cooldown reduced by 1 second.

The cooldown handling system would allow me to do similar things. Right now I'm limited to the "Enginering Update + Disabled Spell Book" thing (there's a hero passive based on this in plan).

I think I'll put that CDR onto the "Pending" list. I think if you know your CDR (you can always press "C" to show the stat board) you will always know when to expect your spell to be ready. It'd also cap at 50%, the reasons are obvious.

6. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And how shall we form an opinion out of nothing? You just make assumptions that everyone would know what an AoS is, leaving out all basic information, neglecting the chance to show thoughtful specialty, therefore making it seem like it was another 08/15 AoS without identity, just according to recipe.

Assistance System: What does assistance look like? How does it affect gameplay?
    Kill-Streak System: same
    Advanced Combat System: same
    Complex CC Stacking and Handling: same
    Full-Screen Hero Selection System: Is this even worth mentioning? Does not affect gameplay.
    Advanced Shop System and Item Handling: How does that look like and why do you entitle it as "advanced"?
    Game MultiBoard and StatBoard: Okay, but again not very important.
    Interesting and Complex Abilities: Would one expect boring abilities? Be concrete or use some more appropriate adjectives that are not just there to show narcissism.
    Health and Mana Bars: see Hero Selection

And please refrain from labelling everything as a "system". This appears as unprofessional because you are basically expressing that those things are so complex and sovereign that even you are excluded from understanding them with ease. This might be a term in mapmaking but does not concern the player at all.

7. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have to disagree with you. Why should I tell what an AoS is? Google is everyone's friend. It's the most common WarCraft 3 map genre IMO, especially after DotA, LoL and similar games. It's not my task to describe the genre, but the map.

I did not write in-depth informations about them on purpose; there're individual topics on the under-construction forum that describes them very well. Once the link is revealed, you'll be able to get all the required informations there.
    Plus, the shop system is already demonstrated via screenshots.

Hero Selection: it doesn't affect gameplay for sure. But be honest: how many AoS maps have you seen that used something different from the old, boring tawerns? I've seen 3 so far. Out of 50+. And the title said "features", not "gameplay elements". I'd even mention it if I decided to buy 30 WC3 keys and rented some hosting bots, because it's related to the map, to the whole project.

Multiboards: they can be really helpful. Being able to track your and the enemies' kills, CS, deaths, spree level is important. Especially a StatBoard; knowing your mana regen and current mana can help you decide whether or not enter a fight, for example. The same goes for Lifesteal and Spell Vampirism.

Health and Mana Bars: they're very important. What do you: think why did people waste time making tools for WC3 to create a mana bar under healthbar? The reason is simple: you can always see your, your allies' and your enemies' life, mana and level. Sometimes you have to react fast, you don't always have time to sit in your chair and select everyone to see their stats. Should you get a gank from your jungler and you might be distracted because you're quite low and don't want to risk dying to the enemy caster, however he's out of mana and can't do shit against you. Boom, a fail gank because of the lack of proper bars.

EDIT: You're right tho'; the features section is just a CnP from the old thread. I'll update the main post once I get back (I can't refuse to obey my stomach if it calls me) and write down what those things to.

8. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maybe because you are trying to sell us your map and do not want to just be a clone of mentioned names or a boring 08/15 AoS. Why would I even play your map when you say it's just a rip-off of other already progressed games? I have said it above. By giving a thorough description, you can easily and beautifully show us where you leave the regular path and that your ideas, systems and whatnot blend in well.

Moreover, the DotA variants are not everything there is to AoS.

But that are side features for comforts that any AoS can have without conflicts. Important would be what types of spawns are there, the amount of lanes, heroes, players, language, general terrain layout, jungle, shops or decisional positions on the map, teleports or travelling services, main and optional objectives, your shared combat attributes or how does combat look like when you say it would be abnormal.

When I look at my Wc3 packages, there's the talk of an amount of missions, units and heroes I am going to control, examples of spells, editor, multiplayer availability along with services, the races, the world. And yeah, they describe it colorful but also more elaborately.

9. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay, I've made the update and added the necessary informations. I still believe that it's not my duty to describe the meaning of AoS as it's the genre; you can learn the term of AoS using Google and figure out why this is better and unique by testing this and the other ones (which is impossible yet, but a lot of screenshots can be found in the main post, which will be soon followed by a video)

I hope it's more informative now; but there're still things I don't want to and will not reveal, you have to keep this in mind :)

10. Laiev

Laiev

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'm remaking my CCS (Custom Cooldown System) to post here at hive ^_^, also you could help me decide the future of the interface and functionality here.

I always read your thread, this is a great project and if you need help with anything, just tell me :). Would love to play it (hate maps that make mages heroes useless late game, you know what I mean, you play League of Legends).

11. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The project seems to be going well I see. Out of all the projects I am working on/colaborating, this one gave me some amount of satisfaction. I am proud of the fact that I had the privilege to work on it and for being part of the team. Congratulations and good luck to all other team members!

12. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, we try to do our best; but without a decent icon creator and special effect modeler it's ahrd to continue; right now I'm in the need of like 12 effects and 30 icons. CR will do the icons, however he doesn't have any time to work on them nowadays so it has to wait.

At least the terrain is done (by you), which I think turned out to be awesome.

13. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think I can find you a guy for the special effects.

14. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay, if his english is good enough and can make fancy effects, I might give him a chance.

I've also PM'd sPy and HateBreeder on TheHelper, I'm also waiting for their response.

15. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Try out Champara Bros

16. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm, funny, I'm using a few of his models :) Is he a friend of yours? I think I'll PM him later (right now I don't feel like writing a mail, hangover too OP)

17. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I just managed to recruit him for my project. Thats all :)
    Also hes been inactive now.

18. Luorax

Luorax

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm, I'm also thinkin' of PM'ing ratamahatta. I've seen it on his profile (or well, actually on yours, but from him) that he'd like to help out projects and he looks like a talented modeler.

19. Illidan_Hunter

Illidan_Hunter

Resources:
    Resources:
    One of the best projects I've been watching lately. Can't do much but wishing you good luck. If there will be ever need of a testing team, hiring me would great.

20. Tom_Kazansky

Tom_Kazansky

Resources:
    Resources:
    look very cool :goblin_yeah:

the health bars are f**king awesome! :goblin_jawdrop: (it made me wanna throw away my mana bar :vw_death: )

I'm looking forwards to try the shops, you know, screenshots are not enough :xxd:

also: shouldn't the "Strength attribute icon" (in the UI) be changed/removed?