• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[AoS] Invasion in Duskwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Well, it's a bit much saying it's almost done, but we're progressing for sure :) In fact, it's playable already, but we still have a lot of things to do; more heroes, more items, a few jungle buffs, an epic jungle monster, balance and I'm planning on optimizing the script even more.

The terrain is 100% done, so I'll update the main thread immediately when we create some recipe items to add pictures of the unique recipe engine to the screenshots as well. I think I'll also make some room for fraps videos on my HDD (my poor 1 TByte HDD has like 5 GBytes free :() and add an in-game video later.

Oh, and Drunken_Jackal, who has the hero workshop will also help us out with hero ideas, so his and toby's name will be added to the main post as well.

Level 26
May I ask how the healthbars were done? I am planning to include some in my own project as well but am unsure yet what to use as have not found a proper object for 3d-orientated sprites. Lightnings are but those are rendered in another fashion. If you make them pure blue for example, they gain only one third of alpha. Texttags are monochrom. In case you used a model: How does your bar fill? Only doodads are scalable in one direction. Are there animations for it or do you cover it with another texture or are those a set of models queued up?

Level 16
Each healthbar is made of 3 models:
-Background + Level text
-HP
-MP

HP and MP have 101 anims, and they're white (so I can set their color in game to fit custom resource types), level has 20.

I'm going to remake the whole main post, plus will add a couple of things as well.

Level 16
Well, the main post is HELLLLA outdated; I wanted to renew it today, but had a lot of things to do, so I could not even finish the 12 new items (I'm working on them right now).

I think I might update it tomorrow, there're a lot of thins to show :) The progress looks quite like this:

Terrain: 100%
Minions & Creeps: 99%
Main Systems: 95%
Heroes: 19/25
Items: 52/90(?)

So it's going kinda well I think.

Level 16
Yea, we've been constantly working on it with my friend when we had time; I always wanted to update it, but I always felt like waiting for the next thing to be done (some items, then a huge bunch of items [15 items were made the day before yesterday], hero tooltips, and so forth), but it's here finally.
Well, my friend finally got the hang of making proper heroes; his 3 latest heroes are all awezum. I've remade one of his older heroes and it's also great now.

What do you think about a CDR stat? I'm thinking of implementing it (I already have one system for it, but it's really old so I'd remake it), but there's one thing I must note: the cooldown won't be displayed properly. So, let's say you have 50% CDR, if you cast an ability with 10 seconds cooldown, its cooldown indicator will start as it had 10 seconds cooldown. The cooldown immediately refreshes after 5 seconds, making it ready to be cast again. So, what do you think about it? Should I implement it? I really miss this stat from League of Legends (and in general), so I'd really like to make it.

Also, it's a shame to see that noone gives a f**k about our project; is it really that bad guys?

Level 16
Well, I don't think CDR affects any way the game length; it just adds another stat, that I actually really like in LoL. The cooldows are also made to be short, you can expect lots of abilities with 3-8 seconds cooldown. Regen ratios are also quite high, so you don't have to be affraid of running out of mana if you cast one more ability.

Well, it's actually my project, but considering how much I rely on my friend, I tend to call this project ours; but I'm still the leader :)

Level 26
Also, it's a shame to see that noone gives a f**k about our project; is it really that bad guys?

I read about the progress regularly but what do you expect us to write down with the current information state? You have displayed your confidence multiple times and not struck any discussion before nor have you done what I suggested in the first posts except the story exposition.

What do you think about a CDR stat? I'm thinking of implementing it (I already have one system for it, but it's really old so I'd remake it), but there's one thing I must note: the cooldown won't be displayed properly. So, let's say you have 50% CDR, if you cast an ability with 10 seconds cooldown, its cooldown indicator will start as it had 10 seconds cooldown. The cooldown immediately refreshes after 5 seconds, making it ready to be cast again. So, what do you think about it? Should I implement it? I really miss this stat from League of Legends (and in general), so I'd really like to make it.

That's probably the first contentual question you ask and besides not knowing much else about the project, I think CDR is an interesting/viable attribute and I do not see either how it would directly affect game length. Perhaps, I would have included it in my project as well if it was not for the bad presentability.

Level 14
I've been keeping an eye on this since the custom systems look neat. ^_^

A CDR would be pretty awesome if WC3 could support cooldowns like that. It might look a bit jarring to have your ability have 50% cooldown and suddenly be able to be used.

You could try to attach any interesting pictures to the main post while also leaving that ImageShack link so that people can see them directly here.

Level 16
Yea, I'm not that good at presentations for sure. But after all, we shall see what people think about the project, won't we?

I'm actually working on a forum that contains all the spell descriptions, base stats, background stories of heroes and everything about items. It also describes a few unique/different from other maps mechanisms, but the list is not finished yet. I'll share the forum's link once I finally get the missing icons and have all the current heroes finished their spells (currently I'm planning on reworking a passive; it has X% proc chance, but since I don't like things that can proc, I'm going to give it an "every Xth casted spell" thing). With that forum shared, most of the map will be public.

Hmm, I don't really know which pictures to post there, there're soooo many things that I want to share. I should make a video instead, demonstrating the recipe system, the tooltips (spells/buffs), the hero selection system, damage texts, and things like that. Well, it might be made once I can finally put my hands on those icons and models. With the CDR system a new feature would also come: cooldown manipulation. The most obvious example comes from League of Legends:

Arcane Master: (Innate): When Ryze casts a spell, all other spells have their cooldown reduced by 1 second.

The cooldown handling system would allow me to do similar things. Right now I'm limited to the "Enginering Update + Disabled Spell Book" thing (there's a hero passive based on this in plan).

I think I'll put that CDR onto the "Pending" list. I think if you know your CDR (you can always press "C" to show the stat board) you will always know when to expect your spell to be ready. It'd also cap at 50%, the reasons are obvious.

Level 26
And how shall we form an opinion out of nothing? You just make assumptions that everyone would know what an AoS is, leaving out all basic information, neglecting the chance to show thoughtful specialty, therefore making it seem like it was another 08/15 AoS without identity, just according to recipe.

Features:

-Assistance System
-Kill-Streak System
-Advanced Combat System
-Complex CC Stacking and Handling
-Full-Screen Hero Selection System
-Advanced Shop System and Item Handling
-Game MultiBoard and StatBoard
-Interesting and Complex Abilities
-Health and Mana Bars

Assistance System: What does assistance look like? How does it affect gameplay?
Kill-Streak System: same
Advanced Combat System: same
Complex CC Stacking and Handling: same
Full-Screen Hero Selection System: Is this even worth mentioning? Does not affect gameplay.
Advanced Shop System and Item Handling: How does that look like and why do you entitle it as "advanced"?
Game MultiBoard and StatBoard: Okay, but again not very important.
Interesting and Complex Abilities: Would one expect boring abilities? Be concrete or use some more appropriate adjectives that are not just there to show narcissism.
Health and Mana Bars: see Hero Selection

And please refrain from labelling everything as a "system". This appears as unprofessional because you are basically expressing that those things are so complex and sovereign that even you are excluded from understanding them with ease. This might be a term in mapmaking but does not concern the player at all.

Level 16
And how shall we form an opinion out of nothing? You just make assumptions that everyone would know what an AoS is, leaving out all basic information, neglecting the chance to show thoughtful specialty, therefore making it seem like it was another 08/15 AoS without identity, just according to recipe.

I have to disagree with you. Why should I tell what an AoS is? Google is everyone's friend. It's the most common WarCraft 3 map genre IMO, especially after DotA, LoL and similar games. It's not my task to describe the genre, but the map.

Assistance System: What does assistance look like? How does it affect gameplay?
Kill-Streak System: same
Advanced Combat System: same
Complex CC Stacking and Handling: same
Advanced Shop System and Item Handling: How does that look like and why do you entitle it as "advanced"?
Interesting and Complex Abilities: Would one expect boring abilities? Be concrete or use some more appropriate adjectives that are not just there to show narcissism.

I did not write in-depth informations about them on purpose; there're individual topics on the under-construction forum that describes them very well. Once the link is revealed, you'll be able to get all the required informations there.
Plus, the shop system is already demonstrated via screenshots.

Full-Screen Hero Selection System: Is this even worth mentioning? Does not affect gameplay.
Game MultiBoard and StatBoard: Okay, but again not very important.
Health and Mana Bars: see Hero Selection

Hero Selection: it doesn't affect gameplay for sure. But be honest: how many AoS maps have you seen that used something different from the old, boring tawerns? I've seen 3 so far. Out of 50+. And the title said "features", not "gameplay elements". I'd even mention it if I decided to buy 30 WC3 keys and rented some hosting bots, because it's related to the map, to the whole project.

Multiboards: they can be really helpful. Being able to track your and the enemies' kills, CS, deaths, spree level is important. Especially a StatBoard; knowing your mana regen and current mana can help you decide whether or not enter a fight, for example. The same goes for Lifesteal and Spell Vampirism.

Health and Mana Bars: they're very important. What do you: think why did people waste time making tools for WC3 to create a mana bar under healthbar? The reason is simple: you can always see your, your allies' and your enemies' life, mana and level. Sometimes you have to react fast, you don't always have time to sit in your chair and select everyone to see their stats. Should you get a gank from your jungler and you might be distracted because you're quite low and don't want to risk dying to the enemy caster, however he's out of mana and can't do shit against you. Boom, a fail gank because of the lack of proper bars.

EDIT: You're right tho'; the features section is just a CnP from the old thread. I'll update the main post once I get back (I can't refuse to obey my stomach if it calls me) and write down what those things to.

Level 26
I have to disagree with you. Why should I tell what an AoS is? Google is everyone's friend. It's the most common WarCraft 3 map genre IMO, especially after DotA, LoL and similar games. It's not my task to describe the genre, but the map.

Maybe because you are trying to sell us your map and do not want to just be a clone of mentioned names or a boring 08/15 AoS. Why would I even play your map when you say it's just a rip-off of other already progressed games? I have said it above. By giving a thorough description, you can easily and beautifully show us where you leave the regular path and that your ideas, systems and whatnot blend in well.

Moreover, the DotA variants are not everything there is to AoS.

Hero Selection: [...]

Multiboards: [...]

Health and Mana Bars: [...]

But that are side features for comforts that any AoS can have without conflicts. Important would be what types of spawns are there, the amount of lanes, heroes, players, language, general terrain layout, jungle, shops or decisional positions on the map, teleports or travelling services, main and optional objectives, your shared combat attributes or how does combat look like when you say it would be abnormal.

When I look at my Wc3 packages, there's the talk of an amount of missions, units and heroes I am going to control, examples of spells, editor, multiplayer availability along with services, the races, the world. And yeah, they describe it colorful but also more elaborately.

Level 16
Okay, I've made the update and added the necessary informations. I still believe that it's not my duty to describe the meaning of AoS as it's the genre; you can learn the term of AoS using Google and figure out why this is better and unique by testing this and the other ones (which is impossible yet, but a lot of screenshots can be found in the main post, which will be soon followed by a video)

I hope it's more informative now; but there're still things I don't want to and will not reveal, you have to keep this in mind :)

Level 7
What do you think about a CDR stat?
I'm remaking my CCS (Custom Cooldown System) to post here at hive ^_^, also you could help me decide the future of the interface and functionality here.

I always read your thread, this is a great project and if you need help with anything, just tell me :). Would love to play it (hate maps that make mages heroes useless late game, you know what I mean, you play League of Legends).

Level 16
Well, we try to do our best; but without a decent icon creator and special effect modeler it's ahrd to continue; right now I'm in the need of like 12 effects and 30 icons. CR will do the icons, however he doesn't have any time to work on them nowadays so it has to wait.

At least the terrain is done (by you), which I think turned out to be awesome.

Level 9
One of the best projects I've been watching lately. Can't do much but wishing you good luck. If there will be ever need of a testing team, hiring me would great.

Level 6
That has to be a long ride to add a new hero or new item. I raise you my hat for this system, it's well designed.

But there is a game that's being played exactly like yours and I know you based yourself on this game for this map.

It's sad to say, but Warcraft 3 is totally out compared to a game that's been designed for this type of fights.

I really like all the work on this map as much as I liked the few spells I've seen on your screenshots.

Good luck on this project.

Spread the love <3 !

Level 16
Well, it's really not that long procedure; last time I made a bunch of items (~10), took me like an hour to create all the required object editor stuff and the code for them.

It's made in vJASS; vJASS has the advantage of modularity. It'd take millions of hour to setup such a huge map and make things work properly, but my map has lots of systems designed for specifically for it; for example, even tho' slow stacking is kind of a complicated procedure (and the fact the map has "Haste" as well just makes things even more complicated), adding a timed, indexed slow to a targeted unit is a simple function call. vJASS is superior compared to GUI and JASS, I'm so glad I took the opportunity and learnt it years before <3

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I'm so glad you like our little project. The development is going well so far, especially now that I have a modeler and propably an icon creator/2D artist too.

Last edited:
Level 16
Well, I think I should introduce our last member, Fjury; he's making any 2D art related stuff for us, mostly icons; however making the loading screen and map preview pictures will be his task too.

With him the team is full - we don't need n+1 people for the same role where only one can do it on his own, with the required ambition.

Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Health bars really are the shit. It reminds me of LoL (not saying its better, just reminds)

I'd not care lot bout the lore, but an AoS like this, with those health bars. Yes please!

Level 16
A little progress update:
  • 8 new items have been added a minute ago.
  • I think the main systems are 100% done. All the stats are working perfectly, the Spell/Item/AuraStruct libraries have been rewritten succesfully. I'm not planning on adding anything else to the core, unless it's really necessary.
  • Fjury is working on the icons already, plus, thanks to J, I've finished ~5 spells.
  • The epic creep is still yet to be made. We had a few ideas, however the models didn't have the required animations and we don't want to implement another model. The map is 5,9Mbytes already (~5,1-5,2 after optimization), the remaining space is supposed to be used for icons, effects and maybe a few hero models.

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
do you plan to implement AI?
Many great AOS-maps (DoE, AotZ, AoM etc.) arent hosted any more, cause you cant find 10 Players on bnet. AI would help to make this map a success, but would be probably difficult to code. Any plans?

Level 16
I'm thinking of coding an AI, true. Not sure how much RAM it would cost, there are dozens of periodic things going on in the background already. I think I'll contact the DotA AI team and see what I or we can do together.

The first release won't have AI, that's for sure. This map is mainly made because I couldn't find a decent WC3 AoS that I was satisfied with (but I stil lwant to play WC3 AoS with my friends on LAN parties, and LoL doesn't have a LAN version). Last summer I came up with the idea of making the AoS of my own - well, you're watching its thread :)

Level 16
Just to bump the thread a little bit, I'd like to mention that 5 models and our 20 heroes are 100% finished effect and code-wise; and I'd like to take the opportunity and say thanks to Champara_Bros, who helped me out with dozens of effect.

I think it's safe to say that in 1-2 months (2 months is the worst scenarion in my opinion), the first release, the 1.0 version can come out. Well, we shall see.

Level 16
Originally Posted by tobyfat50
Omg! Cool gameplay and Systems.
Gizz! and people are aggressive you with stupid lore questions. Wish some people try to understand the description or at least read it!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Normal warcraft is boring! The time of stupid recipes and item dropping/picking up again is over!
Then stfu and stop playing warcraft genius...normal warcraft is boring...jeez..
Facepalm!
I know I'm a genius!

Level 16
A few icons and models and all the 20 heroes will be succesfully done! I have made 4 hero concepts however, which will be made after that. Plus, I've sent 15 items to my friend to name them and give them a description.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.