• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Mini Contest] The Picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
thepictureheadline.png

# Description. #

- The Picture is a contest where you have to use the preset map and its preset functions to a sertain extent. -

# Rules. #

- You may not alter the preset Heights of the terrain. -

- You may not remove, replace or completely hide any preset doodads. -

- You may not alter the camera angle in any way, shape or form. -

~ Violations of the rules will lead to disqualification. ~

However, you are allowed to do the following:

- Add and use any kind of doodad you want to use, this qualifies only for hiveworkshop models, however. (exeptions being the models already in the UTM) -

- Tint and circulate already existing doodads, so they might better suit your desired theme, again, you are not allowed to remove them. -

- You can completely edit the sky and fog to better suit what you want to create. -

- You can edit, change and place your own tileset as you will it. -

- You can edit every flat surface of the map with any terraining tool you see fit. -

# Award. #

You will get + 20 rep and an award icon for winning this contest, second and third place do not get any award.

# Judging. #

- The host of the contest will be judging the screenshots submitted. -

Deadline: 24/jan/10

Attachments

• The Picture.jpg
    The Picture.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 436
  • The Picture Take 1.w3x
    5.1 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Level 36
Sorry all, I was deliberately sleeping.

Now to answer all questions:

About the "import tilesets" well... Sure, as long as it is a public resource on the hive.

About the changing of textures on the preset doodads, if your able to, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

About what this thing is for deathunterxx, let me link you to passed "the picture" contests for refferation:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/picture-90385/

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/picture-take-2-a-105424/

None of those was but mere challenges with no price however :p

And sure you can post WIPs, as long as you state clearly what is your final, and yes you post your screenies here, I dont want to go through my PM list to find them all <.<

Also, you can edit the "none raised areas" on the map >.> So you can add mountains in the background and so on.

Level 12
1st Draft

"Deep within the Northern forests, there lies an ancient temple, dedicated to the natives' chief god: Azoren, lord of the four sacred elements. While it was not the grandest temple in their civilization, it was considered the most sacred. It was said that on this hallowed ground, the priests of Azoren conjured up fire in their hands, caused water to leap out of the fountains in great waves, made the earth rumble beneath their feet, and called forth great storms, bringing rain and an abundant harvest. However, since the Eastern Empires invaded and conquered the native civilization, their religion has faded, and their culture has merged with that of their conquerors, just as the temple, abandoned, has begun to merge with the forest around it. Still, even though no more miracles have yet been performed here, there are those who still believe that this place is sacred, simply for the beauty it holds."

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• The Temple of Azoren.png
    The Temple of Azoren.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,784
K, WiP

Figured I would post my WiP up early so no one beats me to the concept.
Yeah I know it needs a lot more detail but yeah

Sorry the fish kinda got in the way of some of those pillars, I need to edit the model so it doesn't move around so much, same thing with the whale. Also I don't particularly like the fish models lack of details, but the only other fish model here on the hive was upside down when i imported it (no clue why....)

Also the fountain thing is a little awekward

Attachments

• Pic WiP.jpg
    Pic WiP.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 218
Level 19
I made a really cool start of a new terrain, when my computer all of a sudden rebooted because of a fucking trojan.. Now I reinstalled vista so going to give it a try again..

I made something with this theme. With waterfalls falling down and actually landing on top of the building they come from again. Costed me like 2 hours of thinking and calculating sizes but when I had a few cool ideas projected my computer rebooted ffs lol...

Anyways going to try to make it again.

Level 19
Haha my sub will be so funny haha. Though it will never win I'm sure because well. I literally didn't break any rule, though I might've done something you won't like.:p Not that I care about a price or something though:p

Level 19
Not finished yet, but couldn't wait to show a preview.
The thing that wasn't in the rules is to not make the tiles invisible:xxd: and so I did. I used the "Square Tiles (unbuildable)" tile and noticed you can look through them (I never used that terraining stuff collection map before:grin:) so thought hey! let's try something out. Let's make something like an air castle. I think the title will be "The Rain Maker" and it will become some sort of a building in a cloud that makes rain.:)

I wanted to make something.. confusing.. something that makes people look multiple times to it and find little surprises. Well I think there aren't that many surprises but still I think the concept is quite funny.

Added 3 preview pictures, 1st one is in the right camera setup. The 2nd one is the view from above and the 3rd one is where I marked all the doodads that were in the map already.

Tell me what you think. And tell me if you're going to disqualify me or not:grin:

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 179
  • view-above.jpg
    view-above.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 129
  • view-side.jpg
    view-side.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 118
Not finished yet, but couldn't wait to show a preview.
The thing that wasn't in the rules is to not make the tiles invisible:xxd: and so I did. I used the "Square Tiles (unbuildable)" tile and noticed you can look through them (I never used that terraining stuff collection map before:grin:) so thought hey! let's try something out. Let's make something like an air castle. I think the title will be "The Rain Maker" and it will become some sort of a building in a cloud that makes rain.:)

I wanted to make something.. confusing.. something that makes people look multiple times to it and find little surprises. Well I think there aren't that many surprises but still I think the concept is quite funny.

Added 3 preview pictures, 1st one is in the right camera setup. The 2nd one is the view from above and the 3rd one is where I marked all the doodads that were in the map already.

Tell me what you think. And tell me if you're going to disqualify me or not:grin:

u've inspired me,

i am entering.

Level 19
So this is my submission for the contest: Named "Ruins of Avalon"
My second terrain, so I would really like to get some comments of you all here.

Pretty nice.
Uhm.. comments...
Well the sun looks a bit fake. but light could be the hardest part of a terrain. And I don't really like the fire (especially the smoke) between the pillars at the end of the landscape. Other then that pretty nice

Level 23
Thanks, Teuncreemers!
You mentioned both the things I mostly dislike.
Once I added the fire to the pillars I think it looks empty without it, but I really don't like the smoke. So I'm not sure what to do there, without I think it looks to empty, with it, the smoke is ugly.
The light: I tried to get an unreal foggy atmosphere, such as I imagine could be in Avalon, so I tried to create a sun like that, but I agree that it looks strange, do you have any tipps to work on it but still keep this foggy look?

Level 19
Thanks, Teuncreemers!
You mentioned both the things I mostly dislike.
Once I added the fire to the pillars I think it looks empty without it, but I really don't like the smoke. So I'm not sure what to do there, without I think it looks to empty, with it, the smoke is ugly.
The light: I tried to get an unreal foggy atmosphere, such as I imagine could be in Avalon, so I tried to create a sun like that, but I agree that it looks strange, do you have any tipps to work on it but still keep this foggy look?

Well... I call myself a terrainer but thats because I'm good at making playable terrains. I so far never ever made a terrain for the terrainers forum yet. The problem with playable terrains is that 1) you never make a really far sight like an endless forest and 2) that I hardly ever use light effects.

As for the fire I would suggest to try to get an other model for it. I would personally try to make a brazier on top of those 4 pillars. Think that would loook better then just fire comming out of the well between the pillars.

Level 19
I never liked working with the UTM so I decided to finish this quickly.
I'm not going to work on it anymore because meh.. I got an ORPG to make!!!
Heres my submission and an extra picture with a different angle.

Attachments

• Submission.jpg
    Submission.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 170
  • Submission(diff angle).jpg
    Submission(diff angle).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.