• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
o_O Sorry WerBack, I am at the moment overwhelmed with lots of things :/

Also, since the cotnest is almost over, its basicly pointless to do it anymore...

Im sorry I couldnt keep my promise :(

But you know... School comes first :_(

Level 10
Well, here it is, the, for the time being, finnalized, version.
I wish good luck to all the other contestants out there, the day of reckoning is getting close!

oh yeah,... this means that NOW I might have some time to look on making reviews... :p

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShoresMatyko.w3x
    212.5 KB · Views: 169
Level 7
:Water Minions WIP:

Well here comes my WIP.

Know Issues. The hero the stalker's Infested bite spell is permanent (could'nt fix it) so it doesent matter if its on auto cast or not (it costs 0 mana now).

Races Features: Water Minions have no farms/burrows/zigguruts/moonwells instead the staring building gives them food (25food each) Their by you need to expand and take a gold mine quick (better than to build a starting building in the base) and build it there but to be able to build a Spawning Pool (starting building) you need to have built 4 coral dens (can be upgraded into sea tower).

Well the rest you will notice :p. Sadly i did'nt figure out how to get my teleport ideas to work ;S.

And yes some of my spells are far from orginal i know... i have been very busy lately so i kinda speeded this through yesterday. Please comment and report bugs or wrongs.

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShoresZorgaWIP.w3x
    215.2 KB · Views: 74
Level 32
You guys have been trying so hard and doing such good work that I'm going to take a tremendous amount of heat off you by extending the contest deadline for two weeks. This should give everyone plenty of time to debug, tweak and finalize their submissions.

Techtree Contest is hereby extended until:

20 October 2007 0:00 AM, (GMT)

Level 35
You guys have been trying so hard and doing such good work that I'm going to take a tremendous amount of heat off you by extending the contest deadline for two weeks. This should give everyone plenty of time to debug, tweak and finalize their submissions.

Techtree Contest is hereby extended until:

20 October 2007 0:00 AM, (GMT)

DAMN! Crist the one time where I actualy didnt need it, oh well... now I got time to make the race even larger :smile:

or maybe just improve my homework a bit :cool:

Level 10
Another extention?

Oh well, I guess I cant escape making costum items then...hehe XD

Actually, right now I'd need actual players to play my entry against, cause the comp doesnt use the banshing spells (The DO wreak havoc in the army) good enough (wisp's detonate, ect)...

Level 14
I'm done. Just have to fix some bugs (mostly Tool tip missing of heroes's abilities) and remade one hero's abs. (He can learn Reincarnation on lvl 1 and his ultimate is Pillage - bad). Now I'm having troubles with the net, so will post it tommorow from this computer.

Level 9
Wip

After long time I'm ready to post the first version of my race. It's 99% finished except for the balance and some names. Please post comments.

Starting tips:
In the beggining you start with 3 wisps and one blood elf. The wisps harvest gold and lumber and the elf build. It's easy from now on.
Bug: Currently the archmages have bugs when buying spells and tomes: They are dropped on the ground instead of added to mage's inventory. You have to pick them manually.(I think that cannot be fixed) That's the only one I found myself. If you find more post them.

The race replace undead. Don't forget that.

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShoresMartin BarbovWIP.w3x
    234.5 KB · Views: 89
Level 7
Hey i was actually expecting atleast one to comment my map :sad:.
Well ill atleast comment Martin.Cool race! Nice ideas! Though i think it was to much to manage :wink:. If i where u i'd make so that you only can advance either Water/Fire/Earth/Air and give the units some abilities so they wont feel so boring. I'd also replace the Orc shamans spell Spirit Link it feels so boring :con:.

Level 9
Hey i was actually expecting atleast one to comment my map :sad:.
Well ill atleast comment Martin.Cool race! Nice ideas! Though i think it was to much to manage :wink:. If i where u i'd make so that you only can advance either Water/Fire/Earth/Air and give the units some abilities so they wont feel so boring. I'd also replace the Orc shamans spell Spirit Link it feels so boring :con:.

In fact I was gonna make it possible to research only one of the elemental abilities and make cooler spells not just copied ones but I was in a hurry because of the approaching deadline. I may change that in the final version

Final Submission

ok i looked through my techtree again and found alot of bugs, so i fixed them, and changed the whole food process. So without further ado, my techtree.

The Skeletal Amalgamation

Buildings

*Skeletal Temple*
-The main structure of the Skeletal race.
-Builds Skeletal Summoner's, Lumber Harvester's, and Bone Courier's
-Can research Harvester Wheels.
~Upgrades into Sanctum of Bones

*Sanctum of Bones*
-The upgrade of Skeletal Temple
-Can research Harvester Wheels, Bone Courier Appendages, Bone Courier Load, and Bone Courer Sight
-Attacks ground and Air units
~Upgrades into Catacombs

*Catacombs*
-The upgrade of Sanctum of Bones
-Can research Harvester Wheels, Bone Courier Appendages, Bone Courier Load, and Bone Courer Sight

*Sanctuary of Skulls*
-The Shrine of Heros
-Builds Liege of Bones, and Lord Skull

*Boneyard*
-Gold accumulating structure

*Tomb of Antiquity*
-The hero item buying structure
-Sells Rod of Necromancy, Lesser Clarity Potion, Sacrificial Skull, Potion of Healing, Potion of Mana, Scroll of Town Portal, Orb of Corruption, and Scroll of Healing.

*Sepulcher*
-The unit spawning stucture
-Builds Skeleton's, Skeleton Archer's, and Skeleton Mage's
-Can research Tough Bones and Burning Arrows

*Mausoleum*
-The main structure of upgrades
-Can research Skeletal Strength, Skeleton Armor, Brute Attack, and Brute Carapace

*Bone Deterrent*
-The basic defensive and Blight Growth tower
-Gives the most Blight Growth
~Upgrades into Burning Tower or Freezing tower

*Burning Tower*
-The upgrade of Bone Deterrent

*Freezing Tower*
-The upgrade of Bone Deterrent
-Has Frost attack

*Infected Chamber*
-Advanced unit spawning structure
-Builds Carnage Skeleton's, Skeletal Burrower's, and Bone Serpent's
-Can research Disease Cloud, Impale, and Armored Plating

*Toxin Pit*
-Compact spawning structure
-Builds Toxin Spirit's

Units

*Skeletal Summoner*
-Skeletal Worker unit
-Can Gather Gold, Restore, and Unsummon Building
-Builds Skeletal Temple, Bone Deterrent, Sepulcher, Boneyard, Mausoleum, Sanctuary of Skulls, Infected Chamber, Toxin Pit, and Tomb of Antiquity
-Attacks ground units

*Lumber Harvester*
-Lumber Gathering unit
-Can Harvest lumber
-Aquire upgrades Harvester Wheels

*Bone Courier*
-Unit flying food producer
-Very slow
-Can load units
-Aquire upgrades Tought Bones, Skeleton Armor, Bone Courier Appendages, Bone Courier Load, and Bone Courier Sight

*Skeleton*
-Basic mellee combat unit
-Aquire upgrades Skeleton Armor, Skeletal Strength, and Tough Bones
-Attacks ground units

*Skeleton Archer*
-Basic ranged combat unit
-Can use Burning Arrows
-Aquire upgrades Brute Attack, Brute Carapace, Tough Bones, and Burning Arrows
-Attacks ground and air units

*Skeleton Mage*
-Basic ranged necromancer unit
-Can use Raise Dead
-Aquire upgrades Brute Attack, Brute Carapace, and Tough Bones
-Attacks ground units

*Carnage Skeleton*
-Heavy mellee combat unit
-Has Disease Cloud
-Can Fuse with Toxin Spirit
-Aquire upgrades Brute Attack, Brute Carapace, Tough Bones, Armored Plating, and Disease Cloud
-Attacks ground units

*Toxin Spirit*
-Very fast light scout unit
-Has Poison Sting
-Can Fuse with Carnage Skeleton

*Toxin Carnage Skeleton*
-Heavy mellee combat unit Fused from Toxin Spirit and Carnage Skeleton
-Has Disease Cloud
-Defuses into Toxin Spirit after death
-Aquire upgrades Tough Bones, Skeletal Strength, Skeleton Armor, Armored Plating, and Disease Cloud
-Attacks ground units

*Skeleton Burrower*
-Heavy ranged defensive unit
-Can burrow
-Attacks while burrowed
-Can Impale while burrowed
-Aquire upgrades Brute Carapace and Brute Attack
-Attacks ground units

*Bone Serpent*
-Medium ranged flying combat unit
-Effective against air
-Aquire upgrades Brute Attack and Brute Carapace

Upgrades

*Skeletal Strength*
-Upgrades Damage for Skeleton's, Carnage Skeleton's, and Toxin Carnage Skeleton's

*Skeleton Armor*
-Upgrades Armor for Skeleton's, Carnage Skeleton's, and Toxin Carnage Skeleton's

*Brute Attack*
-Upgrades Damage for Skeleton Archer's, Skeleton Mage's, and Skeleton Burrower's

*Brute Carapace*
-Upgrades Armor for Skeleton Archer's, Skeleton Mage's, and Skeleton Burrower's

*Tough Bones*
-Increases hitpoints and armor for Bone Couriers, Skeleton's, Skeleton Archer's, Skeleton Mage's, Carnage Skeleton's, and Toxin Carnage Skeleton's

*Harvester Wheels*
-Increases the movement speed of all Lumber Harvester's

*Bone Courier Appendages*
-Increases the movement speed of all Bone Courier's

*Bone Courier Load*
-Allows Bone Courier's to Load units

*Bone Courier Sight*
-Gives Bone Courier's increased sight

*Burning Arrows*
-Gives Skeleton Archer's the Burning Arrows ability

*Disease Cloud*
-Gives Carnage Skeletons, Toxin Spirits, and Toxin Carnage Skeletons Disease Cloud

*Impale*
-Gives Skeleton Burrower's the Impale ability

*Armored Plating*
-Increases the armor of Carnage Skeleton's and Toxin Carnage Skeleton's by 6

Final

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShoresJust_Spec.w3x
    210.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Level 10
Here comes the map with the naga race! I still got somethings to make though. Like making workers to promote to better workers or warriors with upgrades as well as other simple Mur'gul units. For now no heroes and special items but it can still be played.:infl_thumbs_up:

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShoresNoNZealot.w3x
    249.6 KB · Views: 56
Level 10
Matyko I'll check your race and rate it over 10 by the following;
Originality: 6/10 ( Still undead :p)
Balance: 7/10 ( A little sad that they need an upgrade to attack :O)
Units: 10/10 well done!
Upgrades-Abilities: 9/10 Great!
Heroes: 8/10 Cool!
Overall:8 nice imo I'll check the others in time. :D

Level 12
Damn i got one bug i cant seem to get working...

If someone has played my WIP you should have seen the blood priests sacrifice ability, it is supposed to take life from the caster and give it to a friendly unit, i have changed values like it can only target friends, reversed the life drained so its -30 or something like that but it still doesn't seem to work, so i wonder: is it even possible to do a spell like that without triggers?

Level 12
Zorga, i tested your map a bit and my first comment is that your murgul wimps still use the peon sounds, drowned night dont got any attack sound, pillage still exist on the murgul wimps and the tooltips need great improvement.

Edit: and if i remember there is only one team so you only have teammates and no enmeies. I think...

Last edited:
Level 6
New WiP with fixed tooltips and all heroes in.

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShoresCheesey_111.w3x
    217.8 KB · Views: 84
Level 7
Zorga, i tested your map a bit and my first comment is that your murgul wimps still use the peon sounds, drowned night dont got any attack sound, pillage still exist on the murgul wimps and the tooltips need great improvement....

Thanks! ill fix that.

Edit: and if i remember there is only one team so you only have teammates and no enmeies. I think...

Uhm no Its made so you can just test map and you get to be the Water Minion Race with a set 5 player Free for all (no allies)

Level 9
Final Submission

This is my final submission so I'm gonna give all the information:

The Magical Union

attachment.php

After the conquering of Dalaran the few surviving mages decided to form an alliance against the undead. They sent a powerful magical call across Azeroth and gathered wizards from all over the world. Their mission was to clear their beloved city from the living death. The union uses powerful magic as well as summoned creatures to accomplish its task.

Race Information

Techtree

attachment.php

Normal Unit List:

Chained Magic - This is in fact more magic than unit. It is used by the Union to harvest resources and enchant gold mines. It cannot attack but can disappear and return to its source draining all magic from the area around it.

Engineer - Advanced worker used to build. Can also repair buildings and construct ballista.

Ballista - Long ranged artillery used to destroy enemy buildings. Require an engineer to work. Can be upgraded to Imbued Ballista.

Summoned Unit List:

Mud Golem - Basic melee unit. It is summoned at the Summoning Shrine. Although weak at the beginning it can be upgraded into Stone Golem which can cast slow and can be upgraded with Rough Skin to increase its durability.

Shadowless - Weak ranged magical unit that have no shadow. Can hide in the surrounding shadows becoming permanently invisible.

Revenant - Strong melee undead summon.

Efreet - Incarnation of fire. Powerful ranged unit that burns all nearby units and can reignite the ashes of dead Efreet reviving it.

Phoenix - Powerful flying creature that turns its enemies to ash.

Basilisk - Heavy melee unit. Can petrify its opponents.

Wyvern - Close ranged flying summon. Deals great damage to air units.

Sylph - Mysterious spirit of the air. Due to its etherealness it is very hard to hit with normal weapons.

Roc - Giant Bird. Inspire fear into its enemies making them attack slower.

Mermaid - Water habitant. Can ensnare opponents.

Black Turtoise - Misterious black turtle. Deals massive damage to buildings.
Magicians List:

Druid - Night elven magician. Can animate tree.

Shaman - Orcish caster. Channels his rage into powerful magical attacks.

Dark Arcanist - dark magician. Can cast Arcane Prison.

Archmage - Powerful magician. Have no abilities but can learn spells from the Library. Can also use magical tomes.

Sky Wanderer - Air caster. Have the Clear Sky ability. Can learn Air Draught and can summon Watcher.

Planeswalker - Earth mage. Can cast Earth Bond, Ground Break and summons Kobold.

Flame Mistress - Fire caster. Cast Blazing Hands, Fire Halo and animates Lava.

Hydromancer - water magician. Can learn Water Bubble, Tsunami and summon Water Elemental.

Heroes List:

Battle Mage - Swift Hero, a great enemy of the living death. Can learn Throw, Teleport, Swift Moves and Angry Magic.

Elementalist - Mystical Hero, particularly adept at elemental magic. Can learn Earthsplit, Holy Rain, Wind Aura and Hellfire.

Enchanter - Magical Hero, adept at enchanting allied units. Can learn Force Grip, Uplead, Brilliance Aura and Doubts.

Sorceress - Intelligent Hero, adept at using magical powers to disarm his enemies. Can learn Spell Wave, Holy Protection, Hypnosis and Mana Bomb.

Buildings List:

School of Wizardry - Main Hall of the Union. Trains Engineers and cast Chained Magic. Contain the four elemental mastery upgrades. Can be upgraded into Arcane College and then Magical University to enable additional structures and units to be used.

Altar of Magic - Summons Heroes. Revives slain Heroes.

Summoning Shrine - Primary troop summoning building. Summons Golem, Shadowless and Revenant. Also contains the upgrades Hardening Techniques and Rough Skin.

Mage's Tower - Main magicians production building. Train Shamans, Druids, Dark Arcanists and Archmages.

Arcane Forge - Provides attack and armor upgrades for Magical units. Also inside it Engineers can construct Ballistas.

Elemental Sanctum - Elementalists production building.

Library - An ancient elven library. Sells various spells that can be learned by your heroes or archmages.

Treasury - Creates a shop with purchasable items. The items available depend upon what level of upgrade your School has (School of Wizardry, Arcane College, or Magical University).

Enchanted Gold Mine - Gold production building.

Food Supply - Provides food, which increases the maximum number of units that can be trained.

Protective Spell - Defensive magic. Can be morphed into more powerful spels.

Heater - Defensive magic. Burns nearby enemies.

Blizzard - Defensive magic. Attacks many units simultaneously.

Gateway - Can be turned into gateway to the elemental realm.

Flying City - Can produce Sylph and Roc.

Obelisk of Earth - Can produce Basilisk and Wyvern.

Ocean Portal - Can produce Mermaid and Black Tortoise.

Pyre - Can produce Phoenix and Efreet.

Race Special:

All units from the Summoned units list are treated as such. Magical dispells deal damage to them. (I haven't stolen this From Matyko. Just a coincidence he uses similar techniques.)

Almost all units have magic attack type so they are very effective against heavy armor but cannot attack magic immune.

At tier 2 you get access to the elemental mastery upgrades. They are four (air fire earth water) but you can research only one of them. From your choice depends which high level units you'll be able to use.

The Library sells spells which can be used by your archmages as well as your heroes. Note that the spells cannot be passed to another unit or sold. They are remembered by their bearer and acnnot be forgotten. The library also sells tomes which contain spells inside them. They can be dropped, sold and so on.

The ultimate building Gateway cannot train units. It can be upgraded into four elemental buildings training different types of magical units. Only one of them can be chosen depending of which elemental mastery upgrade you have researched.

Author's review:

+everything has proper tooltip
+everything has working hotkey
+no grammar errors
+original ideas
+balanced
+great description
+techtree and race's emblem

-few bugs

Bugs:

When you buy spells from the Library the spells are dropped on the ground instead of added to the inventory so you have to manually pick them.

If you pick hero attributes modifier (like Tome of Agility) with Archmage the game crashes.

If you start constructing ballista in the Arcane Forge while researching the research and its progress bar will freeze until the ballista is complete and the ballista won't show in the progress bar. Moreover if you put the cursor on the research's icon in the progress bar ballista's description will be shown instead of the research's.

And don't forget that the Union replaces Undead when testing.

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShores_Martin Barbov.w3x
    237.8 KB · Views: 146
  • MU2.jpg
    MU2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 455
  • Magical Union Techtree.jpg
    Magical Union Techtree.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.