• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 17 - Air Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Maybe he's a pokefan, who knows :D

Spot on. Now to avoid getting off-topic, i might just go right ahead and make a pokemon thread or something.

In other news, it turns out i do have some time to finish my entry and i have learned how to use particles properly and will hopefully have something looking pretty nice by the end of all my tweakings.

Also I suppose I vote in favour of the extended deadline, purely because it'd be very spiteful of me to vote against it and I'd rather not be hated by many. Good luck pyritie on your jumpluff, be sure to give it a sweet scent or cotton spore spell or the pokemon fanbase will be thoroughly disappointed :p

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I vote against the extension, a deadline should always stay the same.

Pyritie, you could try making the eyes team colored

That wouldn't work, due to how transparency works with team color. Good idea though.

Anyway, do you guys think my bones are okay? D: I haven't done a rig in aaaaaaages and the last time I tried I got something crap :B

Level 31
That wouldn't work, due to how transparency works with team color. Good idea though.

Anyway, do you guys think my bones are okay? D: I haven't done a rig in aaaaaaages and the last time I tried I got something crap :B

You have way too many. You only need one for each leg, one for each foot, one for the body, and one for the leaf thing. All the bouncing effects are just scaling.

Rigging done. Gonna use IK things.

Is there a specific way I have to do IK things if I want to use neodex, or can I just use whatever since it's gonna be baked at the end?

Attachments

• Capture130.PNG
    Capture130.PNG
    182.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Capture131.PNG
    Capture131.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Capture132.PNG
    Capture132.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Capture133.PNG
    Capture133.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: ZIR
For Skiploom, I'd seriously recommend using 3 bones for the entire flower hat thing. One for the base, one for the second ring of vertices out from the middle, and one last bone for the out ring of vertices.
skippidoo.png

This way you could use scaling and translations to move all 3 of the sections of the flower hat without having to translate each one separately.
The only reason you would ever need that many bones for a symmetrical piece of mesh like that would be if you were going to make the flower hat move and sway and dance and have the petals move independently of each, which would be difficult keep to make look much than the 3 bone technique.
U git mah drift?

PS- These pokemon fly?

For Skiploom, I'd seriously recommend using 3 bones for the entire flower hat thing. One for the base, one for the second ring of vertices out from the middle, and one last bone for the out ring of vertices.
skippidoo.png

This way you could use scaling and translations to move all 3 of the sections of the flower hat without having to translate each one separately.
The only reason you would ever need that many bones for a symmetrical piece of mesh like that would be if you were going to make the flower hat move and sway and dance and have the petals move independently of each, which would be difficult keep to make look much than the 3 bone technique.
U git mah drift?
I did that before but it got fucked up when I tried doing things to it

PS- These pokemon fly?
They can't learn Fly but they do fly in the air, yeah. They're supposed to be very light and so the wind just picks them up or something I dunno.

Level 25
Rigging done. Gonna use IK things.

Is there a specific way I have to do IK things if I want to use neodex, or can I just use whatever since it's gonna be baked at the end?

You don't need so many IK chains. Use IK just on legs and some long arms..[in your case you don't need any IK chains (maybe just on the third model :/)]
I would use reactor for the leafs. But you don't have much time to deal with that..
Also you don't need all those bones and not all bones have to start from the root bone.

Animate IK points as usual and at the end just snap them with one of Blinkboys scripts.

Try again that shamanyouranus idea for the leafs since you use skin modifier.

I would use reactor for the leafs. But you don't have much time to deal with that..
Does reactor take a while to set up or something?
Also you don't need all those bones and not all bones have to start from the root bone.
ooh :0 thought they all had to be connected

Animate IK points as usual and at the end just snap them with one of Blinkboys scripts.

Try again that shamanyouranus idea for the leafs since you use skin modifier.

maybe...

Level 25
Does reactor take a while to set up or something?

Its complicated and it takes some time to set everything up. If you're encountering with reactor for the first time, don't even thing about it. Also reactor uses a lot of key frames.

I recommend you to use IK there.

For some time I plan to make a reactor video tutorial, maybe I'll do it in few days to show you all. (3Ds max 2008)

Level 26
Ok, your ultimatum is up. From what i can see, it looks like most people voted for a 1 week extension.

From this point on, this contest shall conclude on the 4th of august in exactly 2 weeks/ 14 days from today. I hope that this extra time is used wisely because there will not be another extension for this contest. Good luck to all contestants.

Level 25
You don't need 3-6 bones on the ears. One or two are enough.
On the first model you can use only one bone for the ear and you don't need IK chains there.
On the second model you can use two bones without IK chains, also on the tail you don't need so many bones and IK chain.

Decided to use ingame textures after all.
Here's my next wip of the devil swallow mount, with mesh and texture wrapping completed. Now it needs a rider. =D

WIP2_DevilSwallowMount.jpg

Before you comment about the devil swallow model:
- Yes, the usage of the ingame texture makes the model suffer from colour clashing. I'll tend to fix it with colour tinting after when i export the model as a mdx/mdl and rig it on a wc3 animation set.
- Yes, I wanted to make the mount unit look somewhat chubby.
- Textures used on the mount unit: Campaign Misha Bear, War Eagle and Frost Wyrm.
- The red wounds are NOT teamcolour and does not support teamcolour in that part either. I'll add some teamcolour on the upcoming rider later.

Does neodex support smoothed anims? I though it only did linear... I guess you could change it in magos though.

I'm just doing it the way BlinkBoy says to do it in his tutorial >__>

I think these are TCB or something?

I know. D; Add that to the fact that I use a script that doesn't support connected bones, and then you understand why I only make buildings. D:

I really should have used neodex to model for WC3...

Should have? You still can :0

Level 11
Merge all groups that use 1 same material in to 1 group (after you have wrapped it for good).

And I don't like it. Its just some blob and black letters. Sux. (That's what you get for showing such WIPs >:D )

Status
Not open for further replies.