• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Modeling Mini Contest #3 - Starcraft Critters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
here is a small update.
Still have to do the texture and add some Zeratul feel into it (like adding a glow effect to the torch)

Attachments

• DraeneiZealorBaby.JPG
    DraeneiZealorBaby.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 349
Okay final submission. :D
Terralisk
The Terralisk is another Zerg Strain, but it became neutral. They were once laborers of the Zerg, but as they evolve, they gained the ability to produce fire, they used this to escape to the undergrounds where they nest.
Model Editor Screenshot
attachment.php

World Editor Screenshot
attachment.php

Good luck everyone :>

Attachments

• IngameScreenshot.png
    IngameScreenshot.png
    383.2 KB · Views: 676
  • Terralisk.mdx
    219.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Editor.png
    Editor.png
    318 KB · Views: 900
Level 15
PERENNIAL BISON

The perennial bison is a Zerg herbivore that lives on plains. It has a wonderful ability to clot blood very quickly and efficiently, and almost painlessly. This makes it able to regrow lost flesh and vital organs to virtually perfect health, and can live for up to 200 years. It filter feeds on dense bacteria filled air.

bison.JPG

The concept, mesh, wrap and animations are scratch-made. It uses the Hydralisk skin, which is quite possibly the most ugly and filtered blizzard skin i've seen. Won't be going there again.

542 vertexes, 732 faces.

UH OH, i forgot to 2-side the materials. Am I allowed to just check that box about a day after the deadline? I feel rather silly to have overseen that rather minor detail.

Attachments

• Perennial Bison.mdx
    53.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Level 20
Skullborb
skulborbfinished.png

The skulborb is an ant-like creature found most commonly on barren worlds. With two antenna capable of electric shock and an explosive abdomen full of gas toxic to most smaller species, the skullborb is not one often hunted by other species. Terran Marines and Firebats have been known to destroy these creatures for sport due to their explosive nature. Though skulborbs have the capacity to be semi-dangerous most would find them rather docile as long as you just let them mind their own business. Skulborbs use their antennae to stun their prey into a state of temporary paralysis so that they may devour them slowly. Though the electric currents released from the antennae are only meant for stunning the skulborb's prey, if experienced in enough quantity it can be fatal.

Note: There are more effects added in game and they loop perfectly. Magos and particles just don't loop well.

From Left to Right; Stand 1, Stand 2, Walk
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

From Left to Right; Attack 1, Attack 2, Spell
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Death (Note: In-game there is a purple blood pool left behind rather than it just disappearing):
attachment.php

All in-game textures, custom animations from scratch, sound effects, particles, and only 426 polies. The skulborb will be a small light-weight addition to any map at only 65 kb.

Download it here!

Last edited:
Level 20
@varsaigen: Many of us have finished already in three days, some above and beyond the call of duty with animations too. :wink: It's called a "mini" contest for a reason. I'm sure you'll do fine var. It doesn't need animations or the like according to the rules. Do what you can and move on to eye candy after you get the basics done.

@Azurot: Wow now that I suppose is what you call a vote of confidence. I'm glad you like my idea and execution of it. I had lots of fun making it and thinking it up.

@HappyCockroach: That's a very impressive model. I love that for the eyes you just used the pupils of the sorceress. I never would have thought of that. But I'll add it to my list of useable things in the future. It's an awesome idea.

@DonDustin: I like the idea. Are you using some custom textures as well?

@Midnighters: I could see it possibly being a creep so that's good. but something is terribly wrong with your animations. I thought it might of been unassigned mesh problems so I went to look in Mdlvis and I got a new error I've never had before, "Model Broken. Contact Author." Whatever it means it can't be good. And unanimated your model's feet go into the ground, and it's like 5 times bigger than most units. Maybe try scaling it down some and then reboning it. It might fix all your problems. And try simplifying some of your mesh if possible, 220 kb because of nearly 4k polies is quite a lot.

@supertoinkz: Wow the changing with the terrain thing is cool. Not very many other models do that.

I was really tired today, but I finished mine anyways, because of the deadline.
Go drink some coffee :ugly:

I've experienced the same. Over the course of the time since this started all my free time has been devoted to it. I've been up to 1am on school nights and I've been staying awake through the mighty powers of Mountain Dew. Though now that I'm done and successfully within the deadline it's time I got some decent rest.

Level 20
Sorry tee.dubs. I actually did respond to it. I had just accidently navigated back a page to catch up on the stuff from before my post. And I accidently lost your stuff and var's. But I retyped vars and must have missed yours. My apologies.

I think yours is really cool! It looks like it could fit in the StarCraft universe easily. Great use of the Hydralisk texture. I think your animations are very cute and fitting as well. I'll be happy to be competing against your model. :thumbs_up:

Level 23
@varsaigen: Many of us have finished already in three days, some above and beyond the call of duty with animations too. :wink: It's called a "mini" contest for a reason. I'm sure you'll do fine var. It doesn't need animations or the like according to the rules. Do what you can and move on to eye candy after you get the basics done.[/QOUTE]
Yes, well, I just find it rare to find any contest with a three day deadline. I joined on the day it started. :/ And, due to time zones, it made it hard to get enough time to work on it.

I've experienced the same. Over the course of the time since this started all my free time has been devoted to it. I've been up to 1am on school nights and I've been staying awake through the mighty powers of Mountain Dew. Though now that I'm done and successfully within the deadline it's time I got some decent rest.
Yep. I have had all of that, minus the Mountain Dew. :/

-----

The Murloc Reaper, the cruelest form of Murloc Marine you can find. Capable of scaliing cliffs with ease, they drop in upon unexpecting prey, unleashing chaos with their dual pistols.

Textures completely free-handed, as well as the model being scratch-made by me. Based upon the Starcraft II Terran Reapers. With 1178 polies and a file size of 38.3 KB, I conclude my submission.

Attachments

• Murloc Reaper.jpg
    Murloc Reaper.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 419
  • MurlocReaper.BLP
    112.1 KB · Views: 115
  • MurlocReaper.mdx
    38.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Level 5
Finally, I have finished my robot... haha :p

Infested Robot

29547ps.jpg

Due to lack of time, I cant make any animations ( I really need to get some sleep.. :p)

The infested robot was a result of the zerg invasion over a terran war factory. It throws acid through its main tentacle, and combines terran steel and resistance with zerg lethal acid.

Hope you like it :p
Size is kinda high... there were no limitations so i think its ok

:cute:

Attachments

• RobotTextura.blp
    249.5 KB · Views: 92
  • InfestedRobot.mdx
    153.2 KB · Views: 115
@Midnighters: I could see it possibly being a creep so that's good. but something is terribly wrong with your animations. I thought it might of been unassigned mesh problems so I went to look in Mdlvis and I got a new error I've never had before, "Model Broken. Contact Author." Whatever it means it can't be good. And unanimated your model's feet go into the ground, and it's like 5 times bigger than most units. Maybe try scaling it down some and then reboning it. It might fix all your problems. And try simplifying some of your mesh if possible, 220 kb because of nearly 4k polies is quite a lot.

Yeah, Idk what happened to them, I will try, but as for the model, it is acceptable for the contest so.

Level 11
OK this is my final entry. Works in Magos and WE.
It is unanimated due to lack of time and my inexperience.

Tbh I don't really expect to win seeing all other great animated models, but what the heck.

Oh and scaling value has been set to 3 on screenshot so they can be see better. They are way smaller regularly.

Attachments

• LooterZergScreenshot.jpg
    LooterZergScreenshot.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 376
  • LooterZerg.mdx
    18.2 KB · Views: 122
Level 26
nice models guys. But a few notes:
@ varsaigen. I really like your idea, but it would be even better if it would have some clearer murloc design ( like making the texture look more like it could be one)
@ HeroSlayer: your model is not really a critter, but I will still keep it in the contest, because it seems like you have put some effort in it. But I would still like to see some WIPs of your texture though

Level 15
Sorry tee.dubs. I actually did respond to it. I had just accidently navigated back a page to catch up on the stuff from before my post. And I accidently lost your stuff and var's. But I retyped vars and must have missed yours. My apologies.

I think yours is really cool! It looks like it could fit in the StarCraft universe easily. Great use of the Hydralisk texture. I think your animations are very cute and fitting as well. I'll be happy to be competing against your model. :thumbs_up:

LOL i was joking, i feel bad now for making you feel bad... sorry... *rubs foot against ground*

I love your model too, i'm fascinated by your global anims and special fx, they're beyond my understanding of modeling and i'm sure many would find it REALLY useful if you could do a tutorial on it.

Level 1
Zergling Pup

Here's my entry:

Zergling Pup

A baby Zergling that has yet to grow to full Zergling size and develop his wings and claws...but he can still bite your ankles off.

-474 polys
-256x256 custom texture map
-NOTE: no animations

zerglingPup3dsView.jpg

zerglingPupDiffuseMap.jpg

zerglingPupIngame.jpg

It was a fun contest, though took me longer than it should have since it was my first time modeling anything for WC3 and using the World Editor.

Attachments

• ZerglingPup.blp
    166 KB · Views: 133
  • ZerglingPup.mdx
    11.8 KB · Views: 101
Level 26

Attachments

• DraeneiStarcraftBaby.blp
    78.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DraeneiStarcraftBaby.mdx
    29.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DraeneiStarcraftBaby.jpg
    DraeneiStarcraftBaby.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 309
Level 1
Yeah, not sure how that unwrapping problem happened, I'm new at this =/. Something must be screwy in the converting-to-.mdx process...it is an old script that I used.

There has been some lulz on this thread :D

Good job on the murloc Reaper

sweet job on the scantid, that one is cool.

neat job on the lill zergling, although the face needs.. to be different.. Oo

and last, sweet job on the baby overlord :D It kinda looks like spore model :3

EDIT:
Yeah, not sure how that unwrapping problem happened, I'm new at this =/. Something must be screwy in the converting-to-.mdx process...it is an old script that I used.

oh.. i've just seen the zergling model and.. well that happens when you weld up the vertices... you'll have to rewrap the model, Xndr

Level 23
nice models guys. But a few notes:
@ varsaigen. I really like your idea, but it would be even better if it would have some clearer murloc design ( like making the texture look more like it could be one)

Easier said than done, actually. I origionally had a tail on him, but I realized that it woulld get burned off by the flames. And, due to the black armor concept that the Reavers had, it made it difficult pushing the murloc concept through. Had it been another unit, the face could have been showing, but... I picked the Reaver. Oh well, at least it benefits my series some. :p But I agree, there are ways that it could be a bit more murlocish, but I am not quite clear on what they are. :/

Level 20
NO WAY! I had no idea. And to think I've made textures larger than needs be to work around non-repeating textures. Wow that's awesome. Thanks Kitabatake. I'm gonna have to try that out now. So just curios is it possible to only repeat a certain portion of a texture? Like say the lower half or something?

NO WAY! I had no idea. And to think I've made textures larger than needs be to work around non-repeating textures. Wow that's awesome. Thanks Kitabatake. I'm gonna have to try that out now. So just curios is it possible to only repeat a certain portion of a texture? Like say the lower half or something?
That depends on your UV-maps

Level 8
Ah man, the Icon contest and the spell contest dont finish until the 30th april, so i asumed this one also :/ . would like to make a model also, however;

I wish best luck to all contestants
greets Equal

Status
Not open for further replies.