• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Mini Contest #3 - Starcraft Critters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
it has to be something that could fit there, but does not explicy have to be a terran, protoss or zerg. Even a monkey in a space suit that reminds a bit of the terran suits would fit into the theme.

And if it does not fit, I will tell you ASAP

Level 51
it has to be something that could fit there, but does not explicy have to be a terran, protoss or zerg. Even a monkey in a space suit that reminds a bit of the terran suits would fit into the theme.

And if it does not fit, I will tell you ASAP

ahhh, so it don't have to be a kid or so ? lol, I thought I need to switch some units from sc2 into a child-vers. :p then I will instantly change my theme to murloc-marine or so :p

Level 51
Fan, you're supposed to make a CRITTER MODEL. Critter models in WC3 are those little animals that go around the map and the villagers. For example... Sheep, Dog, Frog, Raccoon, Pig, Villager Kid, Villager Female, Villager Man, Dune Worm, Fel Pig.

jeah for shure :p
anyway, the idea of DonDustin inspired me a bit :p new WIP's are comings oon.

ahhh, so it don't have to be a kid or so ? lol, I thought I need to switch some units from sc2 into a child-vers. :p then I will instantly change my theme to murloc-marine or so :p
Good choice; there started to be too many terran kid models in this contest already.
Any living non-hostile starcraft related model should fit the contest theme

A water tank on his back would be cool. :p
Or maybe a COM system?
Actually he does have a water tank on his back. Hmm I guess I could polish it a bit since it is quite simplistic.
maybe some plastic cigarette or a bubble pipe?? :p
Hmm perhaps

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 142
Level 51
Those are only considered critters due to them being placed in the "Critters" directory in the MPQ. They should NOT count as actual SC2 critters in this contest as far as I know.

I'm surprised no one makes like... A space cow or something. :p

muahahah space cow is mine.
or not? damned, I can't get a good concept :p

Edit: Ok here is a little WIP:

attachment.php

I hope it is ok when I use Debodes concept, I will ask him myself also.

Attachments

• WIP.JPG
    WIP.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
here is my entry. I will still change something until the deadline, but before
I forget it, I upload it :p
Well animations are crap, and maybe I'll redo them later. (Not up to make
a walk anim :/ ).

Red parts are teamcolored, only ingame textures.
attachment.php

[EDIT]
fixed the body part, which is going through the sign sometimes,
added a walk animation,
made some minor edits to some anims,
added sound,
added attachment points.

Attachments

• Firebatkiddy.jpg
    Firebatkiddy.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • FirebatKiddyNew1.mdx
    46 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Level 9
Whoa, too many great modelers :/
I now have a small chance to win :/
BUT I SHOULD NOT SURRENDER >:C
(Amigurumi, I thought you already have a beta key)

Okay here's a WiP picture.
It is still an arachnathid with Hydarlisk texture, more to come later.
attachment.php

It's a Zerg strain that lives in volcanic/hot/magmatic/lavatic/lololol areas. It can swim in lava/magma. And those carapace in his back and tail are dried lava.

Still my creature haz no name :C
(Almost forgot to say, his belly have a messy uv wrap, I can't fix it, but it isn't visible right?)

Edit
Updated a bit by adding teamcolor and eyes (those red spots are tc-ed)
attachment.php

I thought these were Critter models, not creeps, well anyways is it ok if I use the Zergling model? I'm trying my hand at a baneling

Level 51
damned mine has a lot of faces :/ anyway: here's the latest WIP. Just need to add an udder and give it an animation where it goes up and down + some fire particles.

I know, from this viewpoint, everything looks a bit screwed, but that's, just the viewpoint :p

EDIT: OK, mesh is finished now. Will give it the anim and particles tomorrow :p

attachment.php

Attachments

• LAtestWIP.JPG
    LAtestWIP.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 690
Level 51
head should be smaller, the unwrap looks really messy right now and the eye looks really retarded atm :/

oh sorry, posted the: 'mesh is finished now' before saw your message. will fix it right now. but tell me, what part of the unwrap? the tauren I will fix, but is there anything else?

btw: the eyes are supposed to look retared :p (if it's a bigger problem I'll change them.)

Contest submission

Hmmh might as well submit mine...

Terran Kid

Armed with his mighty BigWaterGun9000, the Terran Kid is ready to cause mischief in any neighbourhood in the universe.
Features
  • Uses in-game textures
  • Team-coloured armor
  • Animated water textures
  • File size: 76kb
  • Custom animations in addition to Villager Child default animations
124756-albums909-picture28009.jpg

Stand Channel:
124756-albums909-picture28014.gif

Attack Walk Stand Spin (bladestorm):
124756-albums909-picture28017.gif
124756-albums909-picture28016.gif

Stand Ready:
124756-albums909-picture28022.gif
124756-albums909-picture28012.gif

Stand(1-6):
124756-albums909-picture28026.gif
124756-albums909-picture28028.gif
124756-albums909-picture28027.gif
124756-albums909-picture28019.gif
124756-albums909-picture28020.gif
124756-albums909-picture28021.gif

(Stand 1,2 & 3 are default blizzard made with slight edits)

Walk:
124756-albums909-picture28023.gif

(Default blizzard animation with slight edits to fit the gun)

Attack:
124756-albums909-picture28018.gif
124756-albums909-picture28015.gif

Stand Victory:
124756-albums909-picture28013.gif
124756-albums909-picture28011.gif

(Inspired by the one seen in Final Fantasy VII)

The model also has the default villager child animations for death, decay flesh, decay bone

Attachments

• TerranKid08f.mdx
    76.8 KB · Views: 116
seeing Kitabatake's entry, I think it will be almost impossible to avoid giving additional points for animations.
The rules say animations are not necessary, but there's nothing saying that they wouldn't affect the scores.
They're part of the model after all.
awesome concept/anims/look :D
Thanks

Level 3
Here I come, glad I got burst to finish model itself, 848 polygons, 5.5 hours. You can read out from model some obvious things like I am not professional. I am aiming for cute baby Overlord. Texturing this is going to be a challenge, if I manage to pull it off it is going to be fun.
attachment.php

Attachments

• BabyOverlord.jpg
    BabyOverlord.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 368
Level 20
Alright I got my Skulborb all textured and boned now. I'm just starting animations. Here's the stand animation which isn't quite complete yet but it's close.

skulborb1.gif

It doesn't loop perfectly in the preview .gif as its hard to get particles to loop. But It does loop properly in-game.

All in-game textures!

Alright I got my Skulborb all textured and boned now. I'm just starting animations. Here's the stand animation which isn't quite complete yet but it's close.

skulborb1.gif

It doesn't loop perfectly in the preview .gif as its hard to get particles to loop. But It does loop properly in-game.

All in-game textures!
Awesome job, Zerox! I assume you're using global animations on the blinking eyes... ;)

Level 20
Ah glad you like it Happy Cockroach I love your scratch work so your praise is highly valued to me. :thumbs_up:

You are indeed correct about global animations being used for his blinking eyes. But the small pincers moving back and forth is also using global animations. It's a first of mine to use global animations for anything but eyes.

Level 16
OK i have done some work on my project but i don't think it will be ready for tommorow*(or that it can take atleast a 3'rd place). It's going to be a space ogre bounty hunter equiped with the best stuff in the galaxy.

Attachments

• ss0000.JPG
    ss0000.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 230
well here's a whip, i doubt it will be done in time either, but all i guess i can do is try. it's some kind of alien space hound, haven't decided on a head shape yet but surely won't take long.

View attachment 80365

Also thanks dondustin for clearing up my confusion :D
looks good, and really interesting.

@JokeMaster: that would never be a critter.

People are creating geomerges, with different parts of the Warcraft III SC models, that don't fit the critter theme...... I guess that isnt the point folks

Level 16
Hmm...I don't know what the heck should it be... If it is not fitting than forget about it. I will make him just for fun :p.
@Zerox i thought to change the belly move to the monkey.

Level 20
Yeah kind of what I was thinking HappyCockroach. Not that the ideas aren't great but I think people are straying some from the idea that it's supposed to just be some critter you'd see wandering around the map. Not a full blown unit. Not to say it couldn't double as one. But everyone's open to do whatever they want as long as the judges support them. :grin:

Alright here's my Stand 2 animation for my Skulborb:

skulborb3.gif

Oh did I mention the additive see through part of my critter's abdomen is team colored?

Edit: @JokeMaster: I can't wait to see it then in the models section. I still think it is a great idea even if it doesn't necessarily fit the theme as HappyCockroach bluntly pointed out. Change the bell move to the monkey? I'm not sure what you mean sorry. :xxd:

Level 1
Hey everyone, I'm new here. Cool contest you guys got going on, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Here's my adorable Zergling Pup so far. Well...once I texture him, he'll be cute. A Zergling Pup has yet to grow to full Zergling size and fully develop his wings and claws...but he can still bite your ankles off.

zerglingcritterwip.jpg

I hope that it adheres to the rules of the contest! Any feedback would be great.

Level 5
oh shit... I spent 2 hours making an awesome robot and i just realized the contest its only with critters... T_T is there any way I can make my robot to compete?
21nmypc.jpg

Level 23
And here is my WIP of my submission: The Murloc Reaper! You can run, but you can't escape the reaper...

I've thrown in the Starcraft II portrait to allow proper comparison of the head design. I have yet to design a portrait for it.

The Murloc Reaper is part of a series of murloc models I am making. A series which will overwhelm the galaxy, and then everyone shall hear the fearsome cries of the murlocs! :mwahaha:

Attachments

• Murloc Reaper_wip.jpg
    Murloc Reaper_wip.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Level 20
Looking cool var. Can't wait to see it textured.

Edit: So I guess all that's left is an attack animation or two, death, decay, and a walk animation. Though they aren't required I want to get them done so this can actually be usable in Warcraft.

I already have my death animation and attacks planned out. It's just the walk animation that I think I'll really struggle with. I've never animated something with six legs before.

Status
Not open for further replies.