• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Mini Contest #3 - Starcraft Critters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Mine should be easy to animate. The only problem comes in the particles. I am not good with them, and the ParticleAdd program I have is broken. I need to figure out how to make them in Magos... :/ That way, my model stands a better chance! :D (I have tommorrow to finish all that and the texture D: )

Level 51
Ok, now I'm nearly finished. I just need to make an death anim. (THe anims looks like shit, because they are done in magos.. I would have done them in milkshape but it fucked up because some error :/)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Latest WIÜ.JPG
    Latest WIÜ.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 382
Level 20
Well it's now 1:20 am and I really ought to be off to bed. But I figured I'd just let people know I've now done two attack animations and a spell animation in case this model is ever used for something other than a critter in the future.

All that remains is an elaborate death and a walk animation. Expect my final submission within 24 hours.

Level 1
hey all!

I am SupaScorp and i play a warcraft 3.. I would love to have a betakey!
I used to model for websites and such, but because of the contest I made my idea of how an SCV should look like. The SCV in SC2 nowadays is a bit weird and out of proportion.

I made it like it was in SC1. And the way Blizzard got inspired by it by the movie Aliens
anyway.. here is my entry!

scv_finished.jpg

I can be reached at:
fulkow (at) ziggo.nl
I think these competitions are great!

Cya later guys

P.S. it might not look as a critter.. but since it is not the correct sc2 model.. maybe these things can be spotted somewhere in the game :)
moving without somebody in it... or with a critter behind the wheel .. lol..

Level 1
hey guys, new member here.

i needed a break from the usual stuff i do and i came across this contest. seemed like fun and a chance for a SC2 key is always a good thing :)

i have a concept ready, but i've also got a few questions that i couldnt find in the faq. kinda cramped for time atm, so i might have looked over it.

anyway, i was wondering as to the poly limit, wether submissions need to be ingame shot or can be rendered in a different app and max texture res.

cheers guys.

and sorry for the boat load of questions as a first post :p

Level 3
I managed to texture it, fingers crossed that it will show texture in-game too. My submission is from its own league. It looks like garbage, but it is my garbage:

Still featuring baby Overlord XD
attachment.php

EDIT: Testing ended with big fail in World Editor, no texture, oh noez!

Attachments

• BabyOverlordTex.jpg
    BabyOverlordTex.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 386
Level 3
Good is that I got it working in game, surprising is that my faces are two-side textured, I have not experienced nothing like that before:
attachment.php

I attached working mdx file and 512x512 texture, uses default paths, just import and it works. Maybe I find cure for my strange chameleon effect before deadline, but I doubt. Nice that I have reached so far from zero to finished model. I changed solid pink to random cute carpet pink from Internet. I have all reference pics links in a text file. I do not submit it currently, but will PM to DonDustin if I decide to. That transparency in-game looks nasty.

Attachments

• BabyOverlord3.jpg
    BabyOverlord3.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 370
  • BabyOverlord3.mdx
    33.6 KB · Views: 78
  • BabyOverlord.tga
    156.5 KB · Views: 71
Level 26
Sooda, your model has a few quite drastical issues:
1. the model has this ugly transparency, because your normals are upside down. You have to reverse them (there should be an option like that in your modeling program)
2. the texture should be in blp format. You can use War3Model Editor to convert it.(it is in our tools data base)
3. please change the texture path from war3mapImported\BabyOverlord.blp just to BabyOverlord.blp as it is much easier to view this way :>
4. The texture is also really lacking right now. If you do not handle to create a better one which fits to the model, try to use ingame textures instead(just like others do aswell), because at the end the mesh will not be the only point of the judgement.
5. It would be also nice if you would make your model a bit more symmetrical, as it simply looks much cleaner this way.

But the mesh is actually quite nice considering that you are quite new in our community :)

Level 51
Ok here's my final entry (might change something befor the deadline though!..)

attachment.php

Model Data:

- 1357 faces
- 1263 vertices
- 55 kb filesize
- ingame textures
- Stand/Walk + Death animation

Attached Things:

- Model
- Icons
- Testmap

Screenshots:
attachment.php

NOTE:The screenshot was taken in the testmap you can download above!

attachment.php

NOTE:The fire of the jetpack in the screen is bigger than the ingame one!

Credits:

- Debode for the general idea! :D
- Blizzard for the textures and the base mesh of the cow [spiritwalker]
- The Hiveworkshopmembers for suggestions/critics

Last things:

Please, fell free to give comments/critics on the model, so I can change things, before the deadline expires :D
Also, please report bugs, so I can fix them before the deadline!

Attachments

• Space_Cow.gif
    Space_Cow.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 510
  • ModelEditorscreeny.JPG
    ModelEditorscreeny.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 509
  • Ingame.jpg
    Ingame.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 506
Level 3
Wow, what a response. Normals are fine, this transparency is caused by Gmax copy function, it behaves strange. I did 3 test models to verify that. I am quite old member if you look at my registration year. That 'Warcraft 3 ready' criteria discourages me.

Level 3
Sooda, your model has a few quite drastical issues:
1. the model has this ugly transparency, because your normals are upside down. You have to reverse them (there should be an option like that in your modeling program)
DonDustin you were right and I was wrong. Solution is to avoid that mirror function and use another one from Modifier panel drop-down menu:
Solution link
By that solution I fixed my problem, used convenient image path and blp format:
Baby Overlord:
attachment.php

It took ages to texture it, I like how it came out, it is not good, but made by me. I do not know can I use multiple texture files in Gmax (maybe I can, have not checked), that is why I would like to keep current one.

EDIT:
Gave it odd portrait camera, did not knew it would be so simple, in Gmax camera looks fine (from camera view) and in game it points wrong place.

Attachments

• BabyOverLord5.jpg
    BabyOverLord5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 491
  • BabyOverlord.blp
    96.5 KB · Views: 76
  • BabyOverlord8.mdx
    33.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Level 26
ok fine to see that you fixed the other parts. But I still think that the texture does not really fit. It is too chaotic without any real theme. Some parts contain shading some parts don't. And this makes it not that appealing :/

Level 11
This my second WIP and I think the final one. I will edit it to work in WE tomorrow. I wanted to edit it more, but no time cuz of school.

Oh and, about end time, it can't end at 15:30 PM. Only at 15:30 or 1:30 PM :grin:

Attachments

• WIP2.jpg
    WIP2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 160
  • WIP3.jpg
    WIP3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 127
Level 20
@Zerox check war3patch.mpx units\creeps\ogreAlchemist :p there is a monkey :]

Wow I NEVER would have found that animation. Very nice. So is that ever even used in-game? :xxd:

@Sooda: It's looking much better now. But a change up of texture would look great.

I'm excited to see my name now actually on the entry list.

looks like it will be deciding between three models :p i am not going to mention which ones :p (btw , someone can teach me the modeling ? :)) )

I hope mine is one of those three. But then again we all would hope for people to vote for our creation. :xxd:

skulborb3.gif

Level 14
Fitting texture, original idea, great mesh (so it seems\as far as i know), what could possibly be wrong with Zeroxs submission!
If their is a poll, i have already made my vote, and expect it to win, well.... Because it is WIN.

Great job to all the contestants, ESPECIALLY Zerox.

Level 26
There won't be a poll that affects the results of this contest ( same mini-modeling rules just like we know them).
But I will open a poll that will be open for some days, so you, the community, can show which one they liked most. After that I will post the results and we can compare if the jury has any knowledge about how a good model should look like ;)

80351d1272329301-modeling-mini-contest-3-scantid2.jpg

Scantid
The scantid is a scorpion-like creature native to Korhal IV. It has three eyes, two stinger-tipped tails, and four legs.
The original strain of the scantid grew to a length no greater than 15 centimeters and was a common inhabitant of the desert regions of Korhal IV. It repelled predators with a mild venom which caused a mild rash and itching.
After Korhal was ravaged by nuclear weapons in the surprise attack by the Confederates, nothing was left alive on the surface of the planet, but scantids survived in underground communal burrows. The massive radiation changed the species forever.
The mutated scantid is much larger; its claws are capable of ripping a human in half and its sting is filled with extremely lethal poison. However, scantids are not innately aggressive and generally flee when threatened or injured. Their communal instinct has survived; a large community of them live in an area known as Scorpion Ravine.

attachment.php

Scratch-made mesh, wrap and animations, with 344 polies. Has critter-only animations, (...) since it is a critter. Duh.

Attachments

• scantid.JPG
    scantid.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 860
  • Scantid.MDX
    85 KB · Views: 131
Level 26
no, you still got around 15,5 hours left. I might even do a small extention for people who are almost finished.
But it is always better to finish before dead line :)

Edit: oh and this is my model btw. It will be a draenei baby in a zealot/Zeratul custume. The head is ripped of Archemonde, but the rest is scratch made.
The custom texture is only a recolor right now, but I will also add some real texture to it (removing that golden skull armor, making parts of the body more childish, adding a diaper.). It will also get pillow as shoulder guards, a cute zerg puppy in the left hand, a child torch as the psi-lasor weapon and a pacifier in his mouth and a scarf for the slobber.

Note: I will not participate in this contest, I will only be part of the poll. But first of all I have to finish in time.

Attachments

• DraeneiZealotFan.JPG
    DraeneiZealotFan.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 287
Level 23
I'm almost done making my texture. Unfortunately, I'll be alseep during the last 6 hours of the current deadline D:

I was hoping to be able to get in a proper stand anim and effect, but I don't know whether I'll be able to get it in on time. :c

I'll see how much I can get done before then, at least. :/

ROBO-SCORPION

By: Midnighters

Story: Robo-Scorpion was built by the Terrans long ago, but they took on a mind of their own. They fled the Terran, and began a colony on their own. They have the ability to fight, but they refuse to, they want to bring peace, not desruction.

attachment.php

Model File
View attachment Scorpiobot.mdx

Attachments

• Robo-Scorpion.jpg
    Robo-Scorpion.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,183
Status
Not open for further replies.