• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #5 - Hero Ability Icon Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
You have half a point dondustin, but it's not strictly true. A lot of the ability icons in warcraft 3 could do with a replacement, and the main reason why you'd think they fit perfectly is because you have known it to be that way for such a long time.... and quite a few of the blizzard icons are already abstract or unfitting for the purpose (eg. if someone showed you blizzard's sleep icon for the first time, you wouldn't automatically assume it represented 'sleep').

The point isn't to create an icon that represents the ability 100% (or a screenshot would suffice), but to take your own interpretation of the ability and work it into a fitting resource.

That being said, I don't think replacing the death coil ability with a green skull is a bad thing, because I don't think there is anything more obviously suitable.

Level 24
infernal icon:
why the hell should it show a different thing, the foot would make no sense to me at all, and besides from that fact the icons should replace it, which does not necessarily mean that they should show different things... i think in this case the fact the the new icon looks cool, is well made and a lot better than the old one counts more than the fact that it its idea is similar to the original blizzard icon.
same thing with the death coil.

Actually Blizzards chain lightning is not very good... about yours, I recommend to start it over. The concept is unique, but not very good.

attachment.php

Something like this would be awesome as a chain lightning. Because wc3's icon doesn't show the chain effect.

Attachments

• chainL.PNG
    chainL.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 217
Level 18
I bet it's based on that. Anyway, there's already been a submission of chain lighting exactly like that one. It has the exact same setup, but I don't remember who submitted it and I'm not going back to check who it was, because it's not that important right now.

Level 11
new list of possible finals, like i said before my goal is to be closer to mid place than to last place, my water elemental is not very original but i ran out of ideas maybe i will work to replace it, i got: holy light, death coil, vampire aura and thorns aura. Icons are in rar files below for holy light and death coil there are 2 borders and for auras there are 4.

Edit: alright these are my finals 90% since this post is linked to first post im going to place my finals here, i removed water elemental and place thorns aura, also i attached RAR-ed files for all of icons since vampire aura and thorns have 4 borders (BTN,PAS,DISBTN,DISPAS).

Edit: alright those are my finals 100% in about an hour im going out of town for 3 days gl to every1.

Attachments

• BTNHolyLight.jpg
    BTNHolyLight.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 421
  • BTNDeathCoil.jpg
    BTNDeathCoil.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 429
  • BTNVampireAura.jpg
    BTNVampireAura.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 431
  • BTNThornsAura.jpg
    BTNThornsAura.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Vampire Aura.rar
    16.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Thorns Aura.rar
    15.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Holy Light.rar
    8.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Death Coil.rar
    8.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Level 24
Well. Started a WIPzorz. I need to add more texture/shading to the shield itself.

Divine Shield. Also, water elemental but it's kinda just a copy of the one in the first poast. Just was seeing what I could do.

Comments required.

Attachments

• divinesheild.png
    divinesheild.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 148
  • water.png
    water.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 161
Final Entry of Mr.Goblin

Here's my true (third try) final entry?! ;D

DEAD COIL
BTNDeadCoil.jpg

DRAIN MANA
BTNDrainMana.jpg

THUNDER CLAP
BTNThunderClap.jpg

RAIN OF FIRE
BTNRainofFire.jpg

INFERNO
BTNInferno.jpg

CHAIN HEAL
BTNhealingspray.jpg

Attachments

• DISBTNInferno.blp
    6.8 KB · Views: 93
  • BTNInferno.blp
    10.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DISBTNDrainMana.blp
    6.9 KB · Views: 94
  • BTNDrainMana.blp
    10.3 KB · Views: 143
  • BTNRainofFire.blp
    9.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DISBTNRainofFire.blp
    6 KB · Views: 79
  • BTNThunderClap.blp
    10.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DISBTNThunderClap.blp
    6.9 KB · Views: 92
  • BTNDeadCoil.blp
    10 KB · Views: 143
  • DISBTNDeadCoil.blp
    6.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DISBTNhealingspray.blp
    7.5 KB · Views: 101
  • BTNhealingspray.blp
    11.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Level 7
hey someone should make a critical strike icon with someone kicking someone in the nuts. Thats a critical strike from my point of view.

Level 16
banana, your opinion of mr.goblins death coil icon is completely inacceptable, because it is completely different from the blizzard one aas well as from da's...

1st: looks a lot better
2nd: high quality, better use of lightning, looks more realistic

and additionally your icons completely suck compared top his

sry. this post of yours made me really angry...
are you kidding? the blizzard one is a green skull with some flames behind it.
devinearmy's one is a green skull with some flames behind it.
mr.goblin's one is a green skull with some flames behind it.
even unholydobry has a green skull

for real, how is it 'comepletely different' tell me

1st: this is only taste, i think blizzard one looks better so yeah
2nd: blizzard is also hq, and yes its more realistic but realistic is not automatically good. you will even lose points for it cause it wont fit with blizzard style. also if you think thats good lighting than you have no idea of lighting.

and additionally does that matter for the sake of the argument? how many times have i heard this retarded comment* "omg u dont even make icons yourself so you cant judge" "your icons suck so you shouldnt talk". Why not? are you so stupid to believe that you cant be a judge of art if you havent made (good) art yourself? And still in this illogical argument who are you to judge mine?

sry. this post of yours is a shame...

ps im not dissing on mr. goblins work cause he is good but your failed logic deserved a reply. i was just pointing out that you can make something else than a green skull from: [FONT=arial,helvetica]Death Coil: A coil of death that can damage an enemy living unit or heal a friendly undead unit.[/FONT] if you wish to discuss further do it on pm please

oh.. apparently i missed something because i was too lazy to read all the post...

well, here's my answer..

My icon is not original?! So what, the goal of this competition is to remake an icon, that's all, so of course being original gives a +, but i don,t have the time to think of something better..

Has for what Bananahunt said, i'm truely on his side... this should put an end on this descussion..

Art, is art, a life we choosed to express our emotions and our fealings with beauty and color.... and we ARE NOT GOD! so of course no body can reach his level has an artist, but we can get close of it, why criticisim is usefull and why artist should never bite on each other's back, because we all share the same thinking, the same religion... the one to reproduce and to recreate our own pictures of our imagination.

So nobody should tell that someone arts is better than an other one, because at a mather of fact.. more hours you train and better you will get!.. this is how it works.. and this is why nobody should detroy someone's piece of art, because the diffrents between a good artist and a bad artist is just a mather of hours, of weeks, of years..

Level 15
Okay... I don't want all the drama, but I want to tell my thoughts.
I must aggre with banana as he apperantly seems as the good person here. And yes, ofcoarse EVERYONE, no matter skill, experience, post count or reputation points should be able to criticise a picture.
There will never be a picture, not just a picture, there will never be anything that satisfies everyone.
There are always people who oppose it.
Look at presidents. No president has and will satisfies everyone, for it is impossible to do so, people are unique.

But I ain't narrow-minded, so I will also see this from the opposite point of view.
Yes, it might be wrong, that someone who have never done a good icon (taking icon as an example), criticise your icon, saying that it needs better lightning, and you probably feel like "Stfu, you haven't done anything good yourself so you don't know about this stuff".
Wrong. You should care about what everyone thinks, and balance their thoughts and make something excellent.
As said, not everyone will like it, but you certainly will.
But. It is wrong, that someone completely un-experienced, says "Your lightning sucks". THAT is wrong. A more experienced person COULD though say so (Even if that sentence was rude).

Heres what I mean;

You see a soccer game. You have bet'd on one of the teams. You see your player running free with the ball towards the goal. When he could have scored, he passes a teammate and the goalkeeper catches the ball. You think like "WHY THE FUCK DIDNT HE SHOOT WTF OMFG" and like "I could've done that better". However a football pro can probably say this, because he actually COULD do better.

Now to the point; In the heat of war (Competition), you make mistakes. Thats what I mean with all I've written above. Noone is perfect.

Sorry for writing like this hope I didn't offend anyone, but I am tired of this drama, and I am pissed of people that can't see split vision, people ARE unique, think of what they thought, and why they thought so, before saying anything.

Anyway, great icons everyone and good luck in the competition :thumbs_up:

Level 24
Ok, i agree with you banana, that you do not have to make icons yourself to judge them (I do not make icons myself as well) and what you said is true as well. But your post just enraged me because I really like MrGoblins icons and you cannot doubt their quality...
I beg your pardon if I offended you and i agree that this discussion is senseless because art, like food, is a thing of personal view.
And MrGoblin I do not understand why you agree that your art is bad, because for a normal guy you are pretty skilled.

Level 17
Less drama more icon-making folks :D

Okay then, my entry. My reason for entering this contest was training, so my goal is also closer to mid than first place.

Warden - Shadow Strike
BTNShadowStrike.jpg
DISBTNShadowStrike.jpg

Blood Mage - Siphon Mana
BTNSiphonMana.jpg
DISBTNSiphonMana.jpg

Mountain King - Bash
BTNBash.jpg
DISBTNBash.jpg
PASBTNBash.jpg
DISPASBTNBash.jpg

Far Seer - Far Sight
BTNFarSight.jpg
DISBTNFarSight.jpg

Attachments

• BTNBash.blp
    8.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DISBTNSiphonMana.blp
    5.3 KB · Views: 126
  • BTNSiphonMana.blp
    8 KB · Views: 95
  • DISBTNShadowStrike.blp
    5.6 KB · Views: 85
  • BTNShadowStrike.blp
    8.5 KB · Views: 138
  • PASBTNBash.blp
    7.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DISBTNBash.blp
    6 KB · Views: 87
  • DISPASBTNBash.blp
    6 KB · Views: 96
  • BTNFarSight.blp
    9.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DISBTNFarSight.blp
    6.1 KB · Views: 99
Ok Here are My Final Entries

• Howl of Terror (Pit Lord)
  • Siphon Mana (Blood Mage)
  • Tornado (Naga Sea Witch)
  • Reign of Chaos (Lord Archimonde)
  • Pheonix (Blood Mage)
  • Frost Armour (Lich)
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/thw-icons-section-541/54534d1242333745-btnhowlofterror-btnhowlofterror2.jpg[/IMG]
BTNHowl of Terror
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/8/icons_7536_btn.jpg[/IMG]
BTNSiphon Mana
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54544d1242348061-phoenix-trial-5-btnvortex.jpg[/IMG]
BTNTornado
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54693d1242508514-phoenix-trial-5-btnreign-of-chaos.jpg[/IMG]
BTNReignOfChaos
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54745d1242576371-phoenix-trial-5-btnpheonix.jpg[/IMG]
BTNPheonix
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54809d1242687679-phoenix-trial-5-btnfrostarmour-2-.jpg[/IMG]
BTNFrostArmour

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.