1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our apocalyptic vibes have reached their final breath. Choose who should get first place for the 6th music contest on the poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Gothic has taken over at long last! Take part in the 26th Texturing Contest to see if you've still got the mettle for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose a model and craft your spell in Zephyr Contest #15!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Compete in Concept Art Contest - Bounty Hunter. May the best artist's bounty hunter execute!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The Modeling Mini-Contest #5 - Familiar is up! Compete to design a pet companion to a lonely WC3 Hero of your preference.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Looking to expand an altered melee race of yours? Join the Advanced Techtree Contest - Recycle, Revise, Reinvent contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Zephyr Contest #15 - Model Based

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by IcemanBo, Feb 23, 2017.

1. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model Based

Create one fitting spell for one of the listed models. The spell mechanics should be related to the model's visual nature, like it would look awkard for example if a mage uses some slash ability.
    You may, but don't have to create a second help-ability next to the main spell if it's required for your concept. -- but in case a second ability is used, it's extend should be kept at a minimum.

Model Themes:

Human Soldier Templar Justicar
    Human Solder / Paladin Anduin Lothar
    Human Magics Medivh the corrupted
    Orc Garrosh
    Raider Dwarven Knights
    Heavy Nature Dark Ancient
    Demon Lord Hyperion
    Doctor/Witch Vial Heart
    Dragon Varsaigen the Stormlord
    Magical Gnome Arcanist
    Demon/Mechanic InfernalWheeledWarrior
    Elemental/Ice Icecrown Overlord
    Darkness Shame
    Undead HeroAbomination

[​IMG]
    • Submission must follow the contest theme.
    • Submission must follow the Spell Submission Rules / Jass Submission Rules respectivly.
    • Submission may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Teamwork is not allowed. Finding testers for your submission is not considered as teamwork.
    • The use of enhancing systems is permitted as long as their contribution is not the major aspect of the final entry. Clarification matters on certain libraries/snippets should be discussed with judges in the contest thread, in case of uncertainty.
    • Third party programs, except Jass New Gen Pack, are not allowed. Using WurstScript might be accepted, as well, but should be mentioned in the contest thread to ensure a proper judgement set.
    • Each contestant must post at least one work in progress (code or ingame screenshots) in the contest thread before the deadline.
    • The entry must be posted before the deadline in the respective resource section.
      • The resource description must make it clear it is an entry from the respective contest.
      • The submission must be testable with the standard WorldEditor.
      • The map's file name has to follow following shema: "<username> + <spell name>"
      • A post in the contest thread must be made, linking to the final submission.
    • The test map must have decent testing conditions. Which means the user can test various aspects and behaviour of the spell/code under certain conditions without too much of effort. For example cliffs/water/trees might be provided already in a spell demonstration, or chat commands might be given as well.
    • Judges may not participate.
    Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue.
    In case of doubts towards a certain rule or the urge to discuss something related, you are very encouraged to post in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.​

[​IMG]
    • First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
    • Second Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon
    • Remaining entries: 5 reputation points
    • Judge: 5 reputation points

[​IMG]
    • You
    • Maybe you
    • Not you
    • PM me if you are interested

[​IMG]

Zepyhr Contest is meant to be a coding contest, so the focus lies on creating the spell with code and triggers.

Coding Is the skill bug- and leak-free? Does it support multiple instances? Is there a good documentation and are there enough configurable variables to fit the needs of different user? Does it cause performance issues upon effect? Is the code fitting for a decent spell submission, or is it too simple? /20
    Concept Is it unique? How creatively was the idea executed and is it fitting the contest theme? /10
    Visuals How does the whole spell procedure look? Is it overloaded with special effects? How explanatory is the tooltip/description of its functionality? /10

FinalScore = (30*PollVotes/POLL_VOTES_TOTAL) + (70*JudgeScore/JUDGE_SCORE_TOTAL)

[​IMG]
    • The contest shall begin on 26th of February and conclude on 27th of March (day is included).

[​IMG]

Being mentioned in the list doesn't exlcude one of being disqualified. These are the potential entries:

===============================================

Applied moderator: IcemanBo

:fp: The Poll | Results

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM
  2. Quilnez

Quilnez

Spell Reviewer

I personally think creating a spell pack instead of just a single spell is better for this theme :) But maybe it will only turn it into a hero contest so nvm :grin:

3. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

I thought also a bit about it, but instead just decided to allow a 2nd little ability if needed for a special concept. Simple and faster contests is also maybe good sometimes. :)
    If we want we can do bigger one next time again if people want it in next discussion.

4. Loner-Magixxar

Loner-Magixxar
    Looks like I'm the first to pick a model. So I pick Dark Ancient. I'm thinking about a diversity skill for it.

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11
    Are wurst submissions allowed?

- If so I'll probably spend about 0.5d on a simple submission.

6. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

I've come up with the concept I'll be using (actually came up with it a long time ago), it'll fit pretty well on the Icecrown Overlord so I'll go with that one
    I'm under the assumption that multiple people can use the same model for their entry? wasn't clarified in the post

now to wait for sunday

7. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

By the way guys, one model is not restricted in usage only if someone else uses it already. You may choose what ever model you want from the list.

@Cokemonkey11 I would not like to disallow wurst, so if there is a judge who is capable of revewing it properly there is no problem. Preferable the judge should be a "normal" judge, I mean that he reviews all other submissions, too, and not exclusivly the wurst submission. We maybe might split the judegement, too, so that for example one judge handles all code stuff, and an other judge the concept and visuals. For now I have no judge in reserve, so I sadly can not say it, but in case there is one I will post again in thread that someone wants to judge with wurst.

8. Empirean

Empirean
    Hello im interested, i havent decided what spell to make. Ill just make a spell first then pick a model. It works either way. Haha or its not allowed?

9. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11
    > I would not like to disallow wurst, so if there is a judge who is capable of revewing it properly there is no problem. Preferable the judge should be a "normal" judge, I mean that he reviews all other submissions, too, and not exclusivly the wurst submission. We maybe might split the judegement, too, so that for example one judge handles all code stuff, and an other judge the concept and visuals. For now I have no judge in reserve, so I sadly can not say it, but in case there is one I will post again in thread that someone wants to judge with wurst.

Okay, probably that means I can't join in the contest.

10. Lord_Earthfire

Lord_Earthfire
    I will keep an eye on this contest. When i come up with a concept, i gonna join for sure

11. Fruit Forest

Fruit Forest
    I'll made one for Garrosh.

12. Thing_I

Thing_I
  13. Fruit Forest

Fruit Forest
    I've made the garrosh Overlord Slam ability. What am I should do next?

14. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

aha, your intention was to join with wurst without having a judge who knows wurst? I thought it was logical.

Result will matter.

It's pretty much explained in the description and rules. You select a model, then from tomorrow (when the contest starts) you have 1 month to post a WorkInProgress and the final submission.

15. Thing_I

Thing_I
    I have a question: can I use a spell that I have thought of previously (and made about 50% of, about a year ago?)
    EDIT: I am recreating it from scratch, not using an old file :p

16. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

Idea is to create a new spell, rest is up to you.

17. Thing_I

Thing_I
    Okay, I think I'm finishing up right now. I just have to finish my test environment :)
    In Progress Work

Two functions

These are my two functions that make the spell work. It is MUI! Wew!

This function takes place when the spell is being cast, and sets up all of the variables for the loop function.
    castFunction.png

This function iterates through all of the ongoing spell instances. It tracks the time that each has been going, and replaces the current one with the last one when it reaches 5.4 seconds. Note: This function is not entirely complete in this screenshot, it is missing the part that will turn itself off :p Whoops! (It will be in the final version, just didn't want to recreate this screenshot set)
    loopFunction.png

Trying to get the angles straight and whatnot, before any coding

(unfortunately my warcraft 3 wont let me print screen in it anymore, for whatever reason. So this is from the editor (which better demonstrates what I was doing anyways) )
    positioningAndAngle.png

18. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

Guys, please read the description and rules.

19. Thing_I

Thing_I
    Whoops :p It starts tomorrow. I'll just upload it and disqualify myself from this haha

20. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

Uploading is in any case a good idea, but you don't need to be disqualified from the contest. Look what you have done within one day, I bet you can get a new concept next days. : )