1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Zephyr #13 Discussion

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by IcemanBo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's about time to discuss a new theme for our spell contest zephyr.

Here we have some ideas we might try again, but also some new.

Elemental - Choose one element as theme for your spell. (fire, ice, earth, ...)
    Model theme - Create a spell that fits a chosen model very well, that was submitted on hive.
    Uncommon - Create a spell which appearance does not fit the standard WC3 theme. It should be something absurd, like by an unknown being.
    Diversity - Create a spell which concept is seperated in at least 2 phases.
    Blizzard extension - Retrigger a default blizzard spell. Modify parts of it, add extra effects/featues, extend it. But the spell philosophie should not change too much.
    Deception - Create a spell which focuses on trick your opponents. It should mislead the enemies to make bad decissions.

You also can bring up an idea to discuss here, if you find mentioned themes not interesting.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I would like to suggest a Detonation theme spell where the spell has two casts, one for launching and the second for detonating/triggering the effect

for example, the first cast launches an ice missile which deals damage to whoever it passes through then the second cast detonates the ice, stunning all enemies within it's radius

3. Just wondering, couldn't one relate this to the current Icon Contest #13 ?
    Of course, it would greatly limit the creativity of the spell creator, as the ability icons show up a mechanic already, but maybe it is worth a thought.

4. hiphop4eva

hiphop4eva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Mythology Spell - A spell that is related to a creature from a mythology, (such as greek mythology) like griffins or sirens.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  5. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hm, seems like not too many ppl are interested in a discussion atm, but that's too bad now.
    Will be away for 1 week, and then we see if there will be an approach of acceptable theme! :csmile:

6. I think Elemental is a bit lame. Of course, we can never have enough spells being themed elemental, but it is something you see everywhere and all the time.
    Model theme would be interesting, tho I think it offers a very limited use.

I like the idea presented by Almia. It is something uncommon one rarely see.

Other ideas I have:

- Blizzard Extension: Choose a default spell from Blizzard, trigger it and add many custom features to it and make it widely configurable.

- Blizzard Modification: Choose a default spell from Blizzard, trigger it and change its components in a way the spell becomes something outstanding without changing the basic concept of the spell

- Spell Skill Tree: Create a basic spell and add additional features being dependent on conditions, maybe having also choices, so the player has to decide for one feature in favour of another, influencing/changing the spell in a certain way

What do you guys think ?

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd say elemental because the other once don't interest me at all. I might join in whenever this start but I bet I will bail out when I see the big guys joining.

8. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Okay.

1. Multiple phases
    Unit starts casting with first phase and the user has possibility to switch the spell to an other phase like for example detonation.

2. Mythology
    A spell that is related to a creature from any mythology.

3. Blizzard extension
    Re-trigger a default blizzard spell. Modify parts of it, add extra effects/featues, extend it. But the spell philosophie should not change too much.

4. Elemental
    Choose one element as theme for your spell. (fire, ice, earth, ...)

Any other themes you are interested in?

Also just quickly give feedback if you are interested in participating in contest, also if you don't have any idea to share.

9. So, you have to create multiple spells ?
    A set of spells for Elemental for example, if it is the theme chosen ?

I might be interested in participating.

10. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    No not really multple spells, but multiple (at least 2) phases for your spell. I just took Almia's idea and stated it a bit more general.

Ok, great!:)

11. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Bump..
    I got nothing..
    EDIT: How about Death-themed spells.
    Something with Corpses.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  12. Arad MNK

Arad MNK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Penalty: A spell that has much benefits, but in cost of something else than mana e.g. Life, units, buildings, gold, lumber, etc. this fits a warlock.

Face-to-face combat: a spell which is used in melee combat.

Flight: a spell which is exclusive to flying units.

Other than that, my vote goes for Uncommon.

13. jonbon29

jonbon29

Resources:
    Resources:
    Detonation seems pretty good that was suggested by Almia while mythology can be compared to a model theme, since I think it will be another summon a unit spell and you'll need a perfect model for that. For an elemental theme, well I saw a lot of it the spell section but I guess anyone has its choice.

Its my first time to give an idea or suggestion and I'm not good at it :ogre_hurrhurr: please bare with me.

Ok so my idea is how about something like a chain effect. Lets say you're first spell is you plant a bomb, then your 2nd spell would be a unit target spell that will deal damage. Surely you can use this to target the bomb you planted in by your first spell and explode it, then your third spell would be an ground target spell that will slow enemies. Lets say its called Drench in Oil, whenever an enemy got hit by the explosion of the bomb and he has a Drench in Oil buff he will then receive more damage plus an overtime damage.

How about that, pretty long explanation :vw_wtf:

14. GywGod133

GywGod133

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Using Destructible Stuff... like Trees, Gates, Barrels etc

For example, When unit cast in a target point, create a barrel and explode it..

15. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    What is the difference between a Zephyr and a spells/systems mini contest?

16. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Zephyr is just a spell contest that focuses on coding. I'm not sure if an other spell contest exists.

17. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  18. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yeah so Zephyr is a Trigger & Scripts contest as called in your linked thread, and mini contest then probably does not focus on coding a spell.

Pharaoh_ hosted the last ones all as Zephyr, so I continued.

19. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So not Anivia.

20. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Meh, I judged pretty hard on the coding, but it was only part of the score. I think the two ended up overlapping and Pharaoh_ just decided to keep Zephyr alive instead