• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #14: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Zephyr #14, Theme discussion
Hello folks, I didn't like how Zephyr #14 was organized so far that's why I'm taking over from here on.
This is the official thread for the Zephyr #14 theme discussion. Please wrap your suggestions with a short description.

Here are the ideas we collected so far.
I will add or remove some along with our discussion.

Theme
Description

Unit manipulationTake over controll of units ( throw, draw, confuse, ... etc)
TributeCreate a spell that has direct impact on caster and the target.
For instance some sort of drawback to a units vitality. An example would
be Double-Edge from DotA / DotA2.
Unique SummoningCreate a spell that summons one or many units in a unique way.
Eventually consider implementing a specific unit/s behaviour after summoning.
A good example is Tinker's Pocket Factory.
SkillshotCreate a spell that requires accurate timing and tact to succeed.
Examples of this kind are Pudge's Meat Hook and Invoker's Sun Strike.
Line of SightCreate a spell that affects unit in a line. An example would be Impale.
DiversityCreate a spell which concept is seperated in at least 2 phases.
This theme would give participants a lot of creative freedom.
ExplosionCreate a spell that is based on explosions, grenade-throwing spells.
Also consider a good mix out of special effect/s and usefulness.
ImmobilizeCreate a spell that stop movement in a unique way.
ReanimationMake a spell which has an involvement with bringing alive the dead.
It has similarity to the Corpse Theme but this one is more focused on Summoning the dead.
UndeadMake a spell which has an involvement with the dead.
Something like giving bonus stats when you're around the dead or anything else that you have in mind.
Object Editor SpellsWrap your spell around default Warcraft III abilities from the object editor
or alternatively remake and enhance an Object Editor Spell from the ground.
You should stick relative close to the core conception of that spell.

Searching for judges

Let us know if you are interested and willing to be a judge in the upcoming contest.
Simply post here into the comments via Quick Reply function.
Of course you're decision isn't binding.
We just want to know who to contact, before launching the contest.

Info about the unofficial threads

Please don't post anymore in the other existing Zephyr #14 threads.
They have been graveyarded already.

Just for the record. Links to the outdated threads.
  • Zephyr#14 Icon ( link )
  • Zephyr#14 Poll 1 ( link )
  • Zephyr#14 Poll 2 ( link )
Let's make this Zephyr awesome.:thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 11
Oh boy, yay! Gonna do a full revision:
  • Unit manipulation: This has some limitations, though I can see it being a really rad contest this way.
  • Blood: This was suggested in another zephyr contest as far as I recall and I voted for it (even though I never even participated). Lots of creative uses here, can be used to intertwine with other suggestions posted, just add some bloody effects/mechanics to it.
  • Unique Summoning: This was one of the more popular ideas in the fake zephyr #14. Personally I think it would not depend only on how it is summoned, but what it also does after the summoning. After all, I can't recall the last time there was a summoning zephyr contest.
  • Skillshot: I actually voted for this in the second fake zephyr poll. I kinda am a dota player and I do love some mind-blowing flashy no-look plays. It will be also hard to create a creative skillshot spell, since it must be in the interval between being too simple such as a meathook and being too complicated.
  • Line of Sight: I considered voting for this in the fake zephyr poll (Flux's idea's are awesome). Not much to say here, this would partially be a skillshot anyways :p
  • Diversity: Now this somewhat interests me because I recently almost made a phase-based ability that I was going to upload later, I guess I won't be able to use my spell in progress for this one if this goes through. Each phase can be unique in it's own way and that's a really awesome idea!
  • Explosion: As explained by Tank-Commander in the fake zephyr contest threads, this idea is too vague and generic. There are already a lot of explosion, fire based spells in hive database. Yes it can be fun seeing stuff going boom, but personally, out of my taste.
  • Immobilize: Same as above, extremely hard to think of a way to do a unique immobilization spell. But I guess that's the challenge. :)
  • Reanimation: This is new! Also a really fresh, challenging idea which is rarely done when regarding spells. Definitely lots of uses here, since it's technically a summon and summons can also have some exciting mechanics.
  • Undead: I personally think this could be combine with reanimation since both ideas are kinda similar. Also it affecting only the dead is a bit limited, but summoning dead is not. Maybe in combination with the above idea, there should be a reanimation and the summoned creatures should do something?

Of course, this is just my opinion. Also, my opinion, this is shaping up to be a pretty good contest. Hopefully it will attract a lot of people.

I'm glad that we aren't rushing anywhere with this!

Level 19
I edited the description of "Unique Summoning" and "Skillshot".

I agree that Explosion and Immobilize are generic themes.
Maybe we could replace them with more original thoughts.

My favorites so far are Summoning, Skillshot and Diversity.

Reanimation and undead could be combined. This also brings up the question:
why always focus on the undead? Why not work with the Nightelfs? I guess
because Undeads are the bad guys.

Level 11
I don't know where did you get the idea of undead tho:D Of course we could implement some other races, for e.g., like you said, night elf, would have something to do with nighttime and the moon theme, poison, nature etc.

I would also like a theme "Object+Trigger". Basically it would force the contestants to create a spell that fired some object editor based spells. For example Volatile Light by KILLCIDE in the spell section.

Level 19
I don't know where did you get the idea of undead tho:D Of course we could implement some other races, for e.g., like you said, night elf, would have something to do with nighttime and the moon theme, poison, nature etc.
I took it from the previous thread. It's not my own idea.
I would also like a theme "Object+Trigger". Basically it would force the contestants to create a spell that fired some object editor based spells. For example Volatile Light by KILLCIDE in the spell section.
I'll put it on the list.

I remember the object editor redo or expansion suggestion from before - for example turning a basic ability into an ultimate (probably would need to build it from the ground up for that), adding some extra parts to it (while still using the base ability - like the object editor theme) or something similar. It would potentially fall under the object editor Spells theme but perhaps would need to be separate in order to be more specific, particularly for turning them into ultimate abilities

As before I'm liking unique summoning the best, though my idea(s) for it would fall under the majority of these themes so whatever the outcome I'll still probably end up doing it

The "Denonation" theme, with starting something like a sub-effect/spell would actually fit quite well the "Diversity" theme. Maybe no seperated is needed.

I don't like the summoning topic too much. It sounds interesting, but the coding difficulty is probably not.

Enhencing "Object Editor Spells" sounds quite cool. I would love to see some creative extensions.
But "Wrap your spell around default Warcraft III abilities from the object editor" - does it mean one can use a default ability
but needs to write some additional code to it? Just asking because using a default ability as core (without coding it), is maybe not best for a coding contest.

Does someone agree with making it a requirement in the "Diversity" description to take unique parameters in each phase?
Like I explained here: link
This would make it more specific as each phase has to take some focus on an exclusive field/parameter.

I'm for: Skillshot, Diversity, Object Editor Spells (in case one needs to code it).

Edit:
@BPower, yes, good idea.
I first wanted to vote for it, because I wanted to see bloody spells.. but after reading the description I changed my mind. :D

Level 11
Since explosion is a bit too generic, maybe we should spice it up a bit so it wouldn't be underpicked in the poll? I'd say for example, contestants are to make a spell that involves a fiery explosion, but it has to be useful while still being an eye-candy.

As for immobilization, I don't see any scenario where it would be fun, I vote for it's removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.