• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #15 - Discussion + Poll

What should be the theme of Zephyr Contest #15? (vote up to two)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
You guys.

Of course there can be less Contestants (Teams, rather). And yeah, people 'have life', drop out & that can now affect twice as many people as before. Those are all some of the downsides to Teaming Up.

But what you get in exchange... The amazing, joyous sense of collaboration, the thrill of mutual design & discovery, the rush of creating a synergistic bombshell, greater than the sum of its parts... Man.

Maybe now is not the time. I know I'm nowhere near available enough to campaign for it, much less Host it or whatever. But perhaps someday. If the sticking point is "but that's not a true 'Zephyr' Contest!!", then fine. We'll call it something else. "Gemini Contest", ah dannae.

Anyway, we'll do what we can. I'm not too bent out of shape about a solo Contest. Should be fun; we have some good options.

KILLCIDE said:
I get your point, but it's a little different for Zephyr in my opinion. The Hero Contests has always been about the produced Hero, where as Zephyr has been about the code. The former has an easier way of implementing a team, where as the latter...
Yeah... And nothing need be 'taken away' from what a Zephyr Contest means; only 'added unto'. (Rough estimation ahoy) the results would be like 50 points for the coding (spell) & 50 points for the associated art.
I guess I don't see how it's all that different. But still, not a huge deal either way right now.

//EDIT//

Voted. While I particularly loved my "Race Specific" idea (more specifically, the "two opposing races" thing I originally suggested), "Model" sounds like a really interesting one, if we get a good range of models.

Last edited:
Level 37
Yeah... And nothing need be 'taken away' from what a Zephyr Contest means; only 'added unto'. (Rough estimation ahoy) the results would be like 50 points for the coding (spell) & 50 points for the associated art.
I guess I don't see how it's all that different. But still, not a huge deal either way right now.
Then it wouldn't be a Zephyr anymore, which is what IcemanBo, and it seems a majority of the people (coders), expect. People join Zephyr to challenge their coding skills against other coders. Adding an "associated art" kills the challenge given you now have to also rely on your artist meeting the Judge's expectations.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I guess that's just a perspective I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around. But fine. No such thing as a "paired Zephyr Contest"; it is now 'officially' the "Gemini Contest". Bam.

Y'know, whenever it (never) actually happens.

~

Also, it's funny because I've always seen "Zephyr" Contests as simply "spell" Contests; the Coding was a part of it, but I always thought it was more about the ideas. I'm generally proved wrong each time, but it's only recently (last few years) that the idea of "Zephyr = coding" came into my mind.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This contest is all about coding, not just creativity.
If that were true, then it wouldn't matter whether an entry had been done before; we wouldn't have any Judging Criteria for "Concept" (i.e. "originality" or "uniqueness"). It's obviously at least somewhat about creativity & cool ideas.

But alas. It sounds like I have yet another Contest to theorycraft/design/run. Let's see, if "Zephyr" is 'coding spells', for 'creative spells' let's say... "Amaranth"?

Level 9
But alas. It sounds like I have yet another Contest to theorycraft/design/run. Let's see, if "Zephyr" is 'coding spells', for 'creative spells' let's say... "Amaranth"?

I'm totally in the same boat and I will definitely join that contest over this one. Because in Zephyr you can provide a boring skill with good coding and win the contest, but thought-through and (semi)original skills with non-efficient coding are more likely to lose.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I'm totally in the same boat and I will definitely join that contest over this one.
Cool.

Loner-Magixxar said:
Because in Zephyr you can provide a boring skill with good coding and win the contest, but thought-through and (semi)original skills with non-efficient coding are more likely to lose.
Well, if you believe/accept that that's what a Zephyr Contest is about (Coding), then that makes sense. I've just never accepted that that was the case.

Hence why I always lose. But it's fun. However, I think it'd be more fun to match wits with other like-minded "creative" spellmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.