• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #15 - Discussion + Poll

What should be the theme of Zephyr Contest #15? (vote up to two)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's to collect ideas and filter out for most interesting ideas.

Race SpecificCreate a spell specified the given Race. What race to choose from would be discussed later on,
or you probably can even choose one from a list.
(races examples: Goblins, Orcs, Elves, Undead, Worgen, Humans, Forsaken)

Diversity
Create a spell which's concept is seperated in 2-3 phases.
Each phase has it's focus on a different field/parameter. (field example: heroes, air units, trees,
items, allies, ...)

Model Based
The staff with host will provide a hand full of models at contest start which noone would know before.
The goal is to create one or two abilities (not two big ones) for one of the listed models.

Blizzard extension
Retrigger a blizzard default spell. Modify parts of it, add extra effects/featues, extend it.

Uncommon
Create a spell which appearance does not fit the usual WC3 atmosphere. It should be something absurd, like by an unknown being, by Chuck Norris, or what ever.

Skillshot
Create a spell that requires accurate timing or tacitics to succeed.
Examples of this kind are Pudge's Meat Hook and Invoker's Sun Strike.
Are you interested in of of these themes? If not, do you have a suggestions?
If a clear preference can be seen we would not need a poll, but in case multiple themes are favored there probably would be one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I'm a bit confused as there's two threads on this.

Well specific theme is always pleasant. That is a race, element, color.

Level 37
Race specific sounds fun depending on the list we have. The races would have to be ones that have a lot of culture (ex: troll & taurens). Humans would be really hard to make a spell for.

I voted for diversity in the last contest, but now Im happy we didnt do it. Diversity will result in very complicated and lengthy code, which will also result in pissy judges ;D

Model based is my favorite of the entire list. I like the idea of the moderator / host picking models and assigning a model to each contestant.

Blizzard sounds fun and boring at the same time. It leaves very little room for creativity, and there are very little exciting blizzard spells. On the other hand, it would be exciting what the creative minds of Hive can do to prove me wrong on this.

Skillshot is my least favorte. It leaves very little room for creativity given that the only thing that will seperate the entries is what happens when the skillshot lands.

If I had to vote, it would be for Model Based. Skillshot and diversity are my least favorite themes.

I'm a bit confused as there's two threads on this.
The other is just a theme poll suggestion. The theme that was suggested over there has been added here.

Last edited:
Diversity will result in very complicated and lengthy code
Example: destroy x trees in range and create a little trap/shot at destroyed position which attacks enemies. Pretty simple and has 2 parameters, trees/enemies.
But I see what you mean, it has maybe more risk to get lengthy / bloated coded. But somehow I still like it. ;D
Well specific theme is always pleasant. That is a race, element, color.
What?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm pretty much only interested in Race-Specific (no surprise there) & in "Model-Based" (though I'm not sure we should be assigned models; I thought it was more like "Host/mod picks a group of models, Contestants choose which model they will make spells for from the group (yes/no repeats?)".

Also, since we had a whole Poll & explanation for it, I think it would make sense to provide the link in your table. Jus' saiyan. ; )

Models:
Yes, the idea was each participant can choose one of the provided models. Repeats allowed.
Too strict rules probably make not more sense, like when you are last, you have to "choose" only a model that you absolutly don't like. This way, you have some more choice at least.

The linked thread is not needed for a better explaination I believe. What a race spell is can be explained in 2 short statements.
But I could add some race examples of your thread. Will do.

Level 11
Model Based spell seem fun enough for me, my first vote

Second vote would be blizzard extension, that may limiting creativity, but I would like to see how would blizzard spells turn out after extend it, gonna be challenging but fun theme.

Rest not really interested... so far only 2 caught my attention

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Models:
Yes, the idea was each participant can choose one of the provided models. Repeats allowed.
Ah, good.

IcemanBo said:
The linked thread is not needed for a better explaination I believe. What a race spell is can be explained in 2 short statements.
But I could add some race examples of your thread. Will do.
Well, examples help... But I wasn't saying that a linked thread provides a 'better' explanation, but rather a more expansive & nuanced understanding of the topic.

More importantly it doesn't even take up any extra room (like additional examples/explanation), and it doesn't 'force' anyone to read it (like additional examples/explanations); turn a few words (i.e. "Race Specific") into a link (i.e. Race Specific ([url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/zephyr-contest-15-theme-poll-suggestion.289203/]Race Specific[/url])), and bam; anyone who wishes to brush up on the full, nuanced discussion of the subject can do so.

I mean, if there were any other threads talking about any of the other ideas, I'd highly suggest linking them to. Just figured it was common practice.

Okay nice that you guys enjoy models. I might imagine it being good.
Model based is nice If the assigned models are also nice. ~
Erm, in case "models" should be chosen, I would try to collaborate with model experts from outside(the contest) to help us out.:)

Can anyone elaborate more on "uncommon" one?
Hm, I try.
Create a spell which appearance does not fit the usual WC3 atmosphere. It should be something absurd
I think that's the point to focus.
Something that is not common to the warcraft 3 universe.
For example you cast on a point, and a hord of horror clowns appear and throw with wet paint at enemies around. That's pretty absurd for me.

You don't have to import something probably, but for me it would be probably some easier if I imagine importing a new model or skin and take it as my guide.

Level 50
Even though, to pair icon and spell maker, person making only one icon for that spell would have really easy task compared to other person in team. So considering that spell maker would create one spell, it would be workload fair for icon person to make something like 4 race specific variations of that spell.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I agree with what some many people above this post wrote. Pairing would be really neat but wouldn't be easy especially in what time is concerned. I mean it's quite likely at least one person from a team could just disappear or something.
But enough of that. Let's have a contest with models, spells, icons, voice acting and whatnot all linked!

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Talking about spells of a specific race, I may choose the Worgen. A spell called "Lunar Shapeshift" which will morph all enemy human units and heroes into Worgen slaves and give them control to the respective player casting the spell, but only working at night for a few minutes. I think it is an interesting idea. It might work, using a region to add the respective human targets into a group and apply the triggers of the spell transformation for that group. :)

Level 1
Here's a neat race spell for blood elves. In the Burning Crusade belfs were not only paladins but were also a corruption of it. For example, alliance paladins had seal of truth, Belfs had seal of blood. This could technically branch out to a custom blood elf paladin hero that has a kit based around the light but instead of using it like humans do they bend and manipulate it. and maybe throw something magic/antimagic in simply because their arcane jjunkies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
All though I'm totally down for an Icon / Spell paired contest, Zephyr isn't really the best one given the previous 14 contests have been mainly been about coding.
"Isn't the best one"... To do that in? To make combined?

And even though the last 7 Hero Contests were solo, that didn't raise any eyebrows when #8 went Team. Just sayin'. : )

KILLCIDE said:
From the looks of it, it looks like a majority are for Model based. Should I start a Poll instead to make sure?
I'd say one final Poll couldn't hurt, a quick one. Just to get a quick take. Maybe someone could post on all the Discussion topics saying "come here & vote!" one last time.

Level 37
I get your point, but it's a little different for Zephyr in my opinion. The Hero Contests has always been about the produced Hero, where as Zephyr has been about the code. The former has an easier way of implementing a team, where as the latter... it sort of destroys what Zephyr has always been about. However, if the majority of the people want a paired contest, I see no reason to go against them.

@IcemanBo @Chaosy @Rheiko @Loner-Magixxar @DD_legionTN @Emm-A- @Krakenn99 @NightStalker06698 @Alxen345 @Almia
What do you guys think? My only gripe with the paired contest idea is not having enough artists to work with coders or vice versa.

Level 37
Added the poll! It will be up for a week and you can vote up to two themes.

I don't get this model based category. Would someone explain it more clearly? Sounds like I'm in it for another misadventure, though.
The moderator and or host of the contest will select models from the Hive directory, and contestants can pick one and make a spell for them.

Level 37
I don't have a list of the models that will actually be in the contest, but here is an example of the first model I saw in the directory:

119285-2993f83f62733369d3ec335627e2934b.png

Model Selected: Illidan Stormrage
A fitting spell for the chosen model would be Demon Form. Now obviously I would lose a number of points for creativity here, but I hope you get the point :p

Level 14
If you ask me, I would not mind a paired contest. However, as I have not much time, I prefer to work solo, because I like to be independent in my free time. I would not mind joining solo in to a paired contest neither :wgrin:

@KILLCIDE I agree with you that in Zephyr, paired contests do not seem to fit as in tech tree or hero contests..

In the end, personally I would prefer solo. For the community it would be certainly the best to do, what attracted the most contestants :D . Probably paired vs. optional solo ??

(dammit, forgot that I wanted to vote for skill shot ...)

Level 11
I wouldn't mind for paired contest, the only thing i'm worry about it is probably paired contest would make the overall joining contestants be lower as most likely they couldn't find another partner to be a team with.

I'm in neutral between solo and paired. But if I've need to make a choice, solo is much more preferable due to the above reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.