• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #15 - Theme Poll (Suggestion)

Which RaceOff-FaceOff Should be Chosen? (3 VOTES; CHOOSE CAREFULLY)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I got a little tired of waiting & watching people complain about Judges with lives, so I went ahead & threw this together. I am convinced there is no problem whatsoever with starting a new Contest while we wait for the old one to die off finish.

NOTE: This is just my idea. If you think we should have a Poll with a bunch more ideas, go right ahead & make it so (hopefully including my suggestion in there as "Race-Off Face-Off", with a link to this thread).

~~~

Basically the Theme is "racial spells"; simple, cool, fun. However, I know from experience that can be kind of frustrating, limited, and even boring: "oh look, everyone picked Demonic!..." *two dozen entries with fiery pentagrams*. It just can be. So INSTEAD, I thought "why not pick 2, generally 'opposite' races, and each Contestant can pick which race they make; at the end it's like a 'battle royale'; did Team Troll or Team Elf win**?

So you pick a "race pair" in the Poll, and that way we all have some choices. Make a spell for either one of the chosen race... Or perhaps make one spell each for both... Or make a pair of racial abilities that are, like, complementary/opposites/homonyms (however you interpret that)... Etc

Thoughts?

~~~

*"Feykin" is meant to be understood as "woodland beasts & spirits", as aligned with the Night Elf Sentinels. Mountain Giant, Faerie Dragon, Keeper of the Grove, Dryad, Hippogryph, Chimaera, Panther/Tiger... Basically the Night Elves' "sub-race" similar to how Nerubians are sort of a "sub-race" in the Undead Scourge.

**Actually, that could even be part of it; add up all the scores of those that did Troll spells & Elf spells, weight them for the # of entrants in each, then compare the two & everyone on the winning side gets Rep/award. Lol, I've never heard of that before but it would be quite interesting methinks. Like a "team-battle", giving you a 'side' to root for.
This would probably work best with the "pick one side, make one spell" option.

***By "Elves" in "Trolls vs. Elves", I mean "High/Blood Elves"

BTW I'm totally not Hosting this one (much as I'd like to), so I'm not really gonna be hurt either way, if we go with this or with something else. Just make sure to find someone to Host.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I'm voting UD so I can make a fiery pentagram.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Usually the person who starts the discussion is the one who is going to Host it. What point is a discussion if we don't even know there will be a host? :p
Usually, but
Contest Leadership

• A staff representative from the section, which the contest belongs in, will volunteer to host the contest. He/she will make sure all submissions fit the theme.
  • Anyone can be a host.
  • To judge you must have experience in the field that you're judging in. See So you want to judge?.

A discussion is always useful. : )

Level 37
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Why did you quote the rules and link me to that? Anyone can start a discussion, like how "anyone can be a host." I was just saying that normally the person who start's the discussion is the person who wants to host it.

To get on topic though, I don't see why there should be a thread dedicated to just a theme suggestion for the Zephyr Contest. Unless of course there is enough interest for the suggestion that a theme poll would be useless. In terms of theme, I sort of like it, but I don't see how adding two options for one theme would fix the issue you stated about the demon thing. There is a chance of one of the themes completely outweighing the other (not that it's a bad thing).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
KILLCIDE said:
To get on topic though, I don't see why there should be a thread dedicated to just a theme suggestion for the Zephyr Contest. Unless of course there is enough interest for the suggestion that a theme poll would be useless.
It's sort of a combination Theme Suggestion & Theme Poll. Just starting up discussion for a new Zephyr Contest, like (kinda) normal. I couldn't think of a bunch of different ideas (like a 'normal' Poll thread), but I could think of a bunch of 'sub-ideas' to my one 'idea' (like a 'normal' Suggestion thread).

If people like the Idea enough, we vote on what 'version' of it to do & move on. If not, someone makes another Poll thread & we go on that way. No big deal either way.

KILLCIDE said:
In terms of theme, I sort of like it, but I don't see how adding two options for one theme would fix the issue you stated about the demon thing. There is a chance of one of the themes completely outweighing the other (not that it's a bad thing).
Part of it is just for the 'fun'; the idea of racial rivalry makes the Contest more interesting, somewhat.

However, it also fixes the issue of "only one Theme"; if I put "Trolls/Elves/Demons", and any one of those is picked, everyone has to do that one race; just kinda boring. Here, each "Theme" is actually sorta two "Themes" in one, doubling the chances of something cool.

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Why did you quote the rules and link me to that? Anyone can start a discussion, like how "anyone can be a host." I was just saying that normally the person who start's the discussion is the person who wants to host it.
You said "usually the person who starts the thread ends up the Host, but you said you won't be; why would we start a discussion when we don't know the Host?". In defense of "starting a discussion with no pre-set Host", I responded "Usually, but" (mirroring your comment), then linked to/quoted the Sticky that mentions "anyone can be host; just has to be chosen before it starts".

I suppose I interpreted your statement as more than just an idle question or remark. Was that all you intended?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I don't really like the poll, because it's too specific. There should be altered the more typical Zephyr themes that were suggested but not chosen in past contests, like it's always done.
And if something new comes up, like a race spell, it can be added, too, but should not be the only one to choose from.
"Too specific"? How is 14 races to choose from too specific? And you picked quite a time to say so... But regardless:
NOTE: This is just my idea. If you think we should have a Poll with a bunch more ideas, go right ahead & make it so (hopefully including my suggestion in there as "Race-Off Face-Off", with a link to this thread).
I think it's perfectly acceptable to offer a 'proposition' rather than a 'mass of ideas' Poll. But if you want, feel free to set one of those up.

Status
Not open for further replies.