• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #14 - Theme Poll

What will you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Poll is up everyone!

For more details, go to the discussion.

New themes :
Name - Contestants create a spell based on the name. Example the name is Water Breaker, you have to make water spell. (MeatMuffin)
Hive Icons - Contestants download an icon from Hive, then create a spell based on the image of the icon. (KlLLClDE)

Level 16
Explosion - Contestants create a spell that is based on explosions, grenade-throwing spells.

Electricity - Contestants create a spell that represents lightnings, plasmas.

Immobilize - Contestants create a spell that stop movements, freeze on nice.

Blood - Contestants create a spell that represents blood, exploding units.

Sky Assault - Contestants create a spell that attacks from sky, unite tosses.

Mechanical Summon - Contestants create a spell that summons a monster excluding summoning it normally. Like Pocket Factory for example.

Level 22
My suggestions would have been:
  • Skillshot - Contestants are to create a spell that takes timing and positioning to hit. Examples are Sacred Arrow and Sun Strike
  • Line of Sight - Contestants are to create a spell that affects unit in a line. Examples are Wall of Replica and Impale

Too bad the poll is already created.

EDIT:
Can you edit the poll to show the names who voted?

Level 16
I will cancel the second poll. We'll wait for the battling of Mechanical Summon and Hive Icons. Vote your choice!

EDIT : poll will be changed to public. And close date will be reduced by 6 days. As long as Ralle is online first.

Last edited:
Level 16
Of course some custom spells needs imported models. That is up to you. You want to use imported models or not.
Anyway, I will add one additional rule.

Man, I don't participate. I just host. That's why I voted all of them. You know now my laptop is not compatible any more for Warcraft III. I have to wait 9 months.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Discussing is all okay, but you should be aware that we are in arena submission forum.
You can't simply define rules on your own, but should talk with the moderator first who maintains the contest.
It's awesome yout took initiative to start a discussion, though, but just don't rush too much without mods. :)
I will actually back up AT on this one; unless things are done differently for Zephyr Contests, the Arena Submission forum (& the threads therein) is the perfect place to mod & tweak the various Contest Submissions.

Also (again, unless things are done differently here), mods are merely there to do the managerial tasks associated with Contests and (importantly) anything the Host (often a regular User) cannot do themselves. Moving the Contest thread, making the banner, changing the posts, acting as police, doling out rewards/punishments, etc. The Host has, basically, complete control over the Contest (given that the Users who want to join have a say in how it's formatted, and ultimately can yay/nay/boycott it if they don't agree).

Just my $0.02 : )

The Host has, basically, complete control over the Contest
This lets some space for definition. I'm not sure me would understand it.

It works like:

• Topic discussion. Basicly it can be iniated by anyone.
  • Result of discussion. When there is an appropirated result a mod will step in and approve the contest. He will be the maintainer.
  • Host. The person who posts the contest thread is usually called host. In certain situations the mod himself will take this task or just permits a person.
    It can be, but is not written in stones, that the initiator of the discussion is always the host. Basicly it should be a trust-worthy person.
  • The host can recommend judges, rules additions, specifications and alike in case it's needed. He has no rights to do these things on hiw own, but must discuss it with the contest maintainer.
  • The host will usually post results. Or the mod can also.
  • If all goes fine, the maintainer will have no job and the contest will auto run. But in case there is an issue, then he is the person who should be contacted at first.

Let's sum up what a host is.
The host starts the contest thread.
He can feel free to take some voluntary tasks to help dealing with the contest.
In cases of problems he can act as medium to the maintainer and also helping to deal with it.
He can post the results.

All what goes beyong can be interpreted as presumption, and must not always be align with the official's oppinion.

Iirc Fladdermasken made a sugar sweet graphic about a contest cycle, but I can't find it.

Level 22
Question!

Mechanical Summon - Contestants create a spell that summons a monster excluding summoning it normally. Like Pocket Factory for example.
Does this mean the summoned units must be mechanical units? Or any kind of units? And since you said it's something like Pocket Factory, does this mean the spell must create something like summoner (a factory in Pocket Factory) which then automatically summons some minions?

Level 16
You must summon only Mechanical units. But summon it in unique ways other than Pocket Factory. You don't just summon a building for that. I give you an example.

You summon a meteor contains a mechanical egg or box from the sky. In 7 seconds, it will hatch to a mechanical unit.

That for example. Think of a creative way.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This lets some space for definition. I'm not sure me would understand it.
??

IcemanBo said:
It works like:

• Topic discussion. Basicly it can be iniated by anyone.
  • Result of discussion. When there is an appropirated result a mod will step in and approve the contest. He will be the maintainer.
  • Host. The person who posts the contest thread is usually called host. In certain situations the mod himself will take this task or just permits a person.
    It can be, but is not written in stones, that the initiator of the discussion is always the host. Basicly it should be a trust-worthy person.
  • The host can recommend judges, rules additions, specifications and alike in case it's needed. He has no rights to do these things on hiw own, but must discuss it with the contest maintainer.
  • The host will usually post results. Or the mod can also.
  • If all goes fine, the maintainer will have no job and the contest will auto run. But in case there is an issue, then he is the person who should be contacted at first.

Let's sum up what a host is.
The host starts the contest thread.
He can feel free to take some voluntary tasks to help dealing with the contest.
In cases of problems he can act as medium to the maintainer and also helping to deal with it.
He can post the results.

All what goes beyong can be interpreted as presumption, and must not always be align with the official's oppinion.
Hm. Well, let me first say that I won't claim to know what the "official" stance is. Moreover, my interpretations/following statements come from my experiences, and I've only Hosted 3 such Contests in the past (created the "submission threads" for a few more, but yeah), so I can really only speak to what I've done/known.

That being said, AFAIK it goes something like this:

Thread
What?Who?Where?When?

Idea(s)
Suggest an idea, and/or gathers Ideas (i.e. Theme & other parts of Contest), and/or gauges interest.Anyone (Users)Contest SubmissionWhenever

Poll-Idea
A collated, collected list of all the results from the Idea(s) thread, put into a Idea Poll and formatted to receive votes & discussion.Anyone (Users; generally the same guy who made the Idea thread)Contest SubmissionSometime after the Idea thread

Contest
The actual Contest thread (contains previously-agreed-upon Theme, Criteria, etc)Anyone (Users, again generally the same from above) - Moved by Moderator)Contest Submission -> to ArenaGenerally after Poll-Idea thread, at reasonable (Start) time.

Poll-Entries
An organized list of all valid entries with a resulting Poll, formatted to receive votes & discussion.Anyone (User, often same as aforementioned) - Moved by ModeratorContest Submission -> to ArenaAs soon as the Contest is over

Results
A thread showing the full Polling & Judging Results, along with the line-up & proclamation of winners (full disclosure of information is ideal), formatted for discussion & congratulation.Anyone (User, often same as aforementioned) - Moved by ModeratorContest Submission -> to ArenaAs soon as Poll-Entries thread is over & results (Polling/Judging) are tallied & compared
(Sometimes the first two ("Idea" and "Poll-Idea") are combined)

Within that framework, it generally follows that only people who can literally modify the given thread (Administrators & Moderators always, but Users if the User in question has submitted the thread) are allowed to change any given element of the thread; that is to say, I as the Host of previous Contests would change the Criteria or Theme or whatever as needed. However, I did not so arbitrarily; I would (nearly always) ask around to get consensus from potential Contestants and/or the Moderator/Administrator who was at hand. (i.e. it wouldn't do to change the Judging Criteria amounts, or change the Rules or the Theme, without getting some consensus first).

But for the most part, like you said the Contests just "run themselves" (though that's under-emphasizing the vast amount of work we Hosts expend in making these things happen; I'm sure you know that. :p), with minimal interference from Mods/Admins if possible (just doing what the Users/Hosts cannot do themselves).

This is essentially what I've seen done & done myself, and not only has no one (moderator/administrator) called me out on it, I don't think I've ever even gotten an implied "that's not the way it's done".

But again, just my experience(s).

IcemanBo said:
Iirc Fladdermasken made a sugar sweet graphic about a contest cycle, but I can't find it.
I would love to see it, if you find it. : )

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hive Icons is far more unlimited, there is a lot of room for creation.
However, this makes a fair judging a lot harder.

I had assumed mechanical summon wasn't in terms of the summon being mechanical, rather that the mechanic of how they function/summoned/etc. must be unique: restriction to the summoned unit(s) being mechanical is significantly limiting (for "well fitting" concepts) - regardless I still prefer it to the other themes (but think any "unique" form of summoning should count: whether or not the unit itself is mechanical is an irrelevant detail (you just change configurations to make it appear mechanical/unit(s) are mechanical) and holds no bearing or value to the entry)

also @KILLCIDE: there is no DC Models category to vote on - it wasn't added to the poll

Level 37
also @killcide: There is no dc models category to vote on - it wasn't added to the poll

I know, buuuuuuuut ;D

killcide said:
a spell or a spell pack for any of the director cut models in the model section. I got the idea from icon contest #13
->​

hive icons - contestants download an icon from hive, then create a spell based on the image of the icon. (klllclde)
->​

hrmmm... That was a fast discussion. My suggestion was for the directors cut models by the way :p
->​

sorry, but i thought you say icons.

Level 28
Most people are intrested about Hive icons which is easier in my opinion...

Edit : Oups... I mean Harder... (What was I'm thinking :xxd:)
Well, seems this contest will be much different than the others. Because it depend if that Icon match with its spell, and technically hard to imagine it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.