• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what all this fuss is about (vuorma), the green pattern was doubtlessly the most common in the war, and besides, i think it looks great. It has many bright color details that make it look much more defined than any of the other planes on the map.

Anyways, my plan was like this, that i give the Zero the classic green pattern, and then i give the "val" dive bomber the white pattern - their shapes are otherwise very similar ahd hard to separate from a distance, so we get to comprimise by using both patterns since both were used very extensively. If you like the white pattern better, then good for you, because the dive bomber is usually used much more than the fighter anyways (except in naval combat where the poor efficiency of shipboard AA will call in the need for fighter support)

Level 9
Indeed, the Val does look like the Zero. Zero's cockpit looks like a dive bomber's one lol.

Btw, I might visit this museum soon. If you check the aircraft exhibits, they have some interesting aircraft for us :p.

Cool, make sure to take pictures!

EDIT: Let's see if this plane serves the gentlemen better:

file.php

file.php

More images in the devlog post.

I also took a shot to display the planes when landed upon the carrier:

attachment.php

Attachments

• War3 2011-07-17 01-36-29-07.jpg
    War3 2011-07-17 01-36-29-07.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
No, just like the soldiers inside the transports, the proportions are not accurate for aesthetic reasons. Since you can have a maximum of eight planes harboured (even less in some carriers), i increased their size while landed to make the plane deck look more cluttered. When you see images of carriers during WW2, they are always loaded with planes to the breaching point, and that is the effect i am trying to achieve.

Level 5
I don't really like to repeat myself but... holy sh*t, this is really nicely done stuff. Deadly eyecandies and deadly stuff. This gotta be one of best map/mod for an old game. I wouldn't belive that warcraft 3 can actually hold that much custom models and become such conversion (AND STILL: be playable in multiplayer even if there are size restrictions). That's awesome and motivating for other modders.
People asked "possible?" you responded with same word, but without the question mark!

Level 22
"Sorry, you'll have to be pleased with the He 111 :D"

Damn, sexy...

@FingolFin: Yes, I was banned for quite a while after making fun of RedShift with some fascist remarks. Very nice aircraft carrier btw, as usual your texturing skills are unrivaled...

Level 6
well unfortunately the units sectio is mostly incomplete, especially for arplanes. im just going to take a geuss.

the plane types will be: Fighter, Bomber, fighter-bomber (or dive bomber)
(fighter/bomber/divebomber)
Japan: Zero/Val/Betty
USA: P51/SBD Dauntless/ B-17
Great Britain: Hurricane/ ????/ Halifax
Germany: ME 109/ Stuka/ HE 111
USSR: IL-2/ ????/ ???? (im clearly well versed in soviet aircraft =) )

now im going to go out and ask....

will there be the ME 262
will the americans have the Wildcat as a carrier fighter
will there be special aircraft for different nations

ok...... and now for my awsome ability to geuss what ships are which

transport: Liberty Ship (this is where i had a role)

Destroyer/Cruiser/Battleship/Submarine/Carrier
USA: Fletcher/ Northampton/ Iowa/ Gato/ Essex
Japan: Fubuki/ Tone/ Yamato/ ???/ Akagi
Great Britain: Tribalt/ York/ King George V/ ???/ ???
Germany: ???/ ???/ Bismark/ VII-C/ Graf Zepplin
USSR: ???/???/???/???/??? ..... ok i dont know much here either.

will the USA and Japan get a bonus to their battleship?

Level 9
They're waiting until they can get the models done.

Great Britain: Hurricane/Dauntless/I'd guess the B-17(most likely, otherwise either Wellington, Halifax or Lancaster)
USSR: Some Yak/IL-2/TB-3(maybe)

You and me both about the ships :p

@Warman: you are right about the americans, japanese and the germans, GB will have Hurricane/Dauntless/B17 (Lancaster, incase we would give them one of their own - and the britts never used dive bobmers for some reason beyond me)

For the soviets: Yak-9, IL-2, and the last is undecided (give suggestions)

We do not indifferate between carrier-based and non-carrier-based, so regretably, the Wildcat will propably not be used (the P51 is more iconic).

As with the ships, the subs and destroyers are all generic (all nations destroyers looked pretty much alike, go ahead and compare them)

Japan uses Kongo as battleship (it was pretty much the workhorse of the japanese fleet), go ahead and check out the model here!!

Great britain uses mostly american ships as for now, although i was thinking of making the allied cruiser one of the british ones (since everything else is american).

The germans use the Admiral Graf Spee as cruiser, and it is still undecided wether i will make a bismarck model. I will however make the Graf Zeppelin as a generic carrier for the axis (the ones that aren't japan).

Yes, we do plan to include the ME 262 and Gloster Meteor, but it is a low priority. First, we will finish all the fighters. If there is size left, we will certainly make them.

All allies will use the american carrier so far. I might model either a real british carrier or a proposed russian carrier, it is still undecided and a matter of space and time *Hawkins face on*

@PastTime and the others: thank you so much, it is this kind of encouragement that keeps me going!

Level 9
I found two lists, one for medium and other for heavy bombers. I don't really understand much of the Soviet Air Force, so unfortunately that's all I can do. But I think they barely used medium/heavy bombers compared to other nations anyway.

EDIT: From what I've read, the Pe-2 seems to be the best option.

The Peshka was a dive bomber/heavy fighter, so it cannot have the role of strategic bomber. I would rather suggest the IL-4 or the PE-8

@xRiotZx: With undecided i meant for strategic bomber, the MiG-3 was a fighter :S
It wqas really cool but unsuccessful, so we will use the more standard Yak-9 instead.

Thank you for the ship list though, that was very useful.

They do have flamethrowers, it is just not on the units list for some reason. (EDIT: The reason is that we haven't finished the flamethrower model for those nations, and hence we don't want to give them the incorrect unit to the more official units page. Ingame, they use the german version.)
By the way, some images of all the japanese infantry units will come up shortly, they look awesome.

EDIT2: Vuorma, you have the wrong speed on the Zero. It has 450, not some measly 280!

Level 22
They do have flamethrowers, it is just not on the units list for some reason. (EDIT: The reason is that we haven't finished the flamethrower model for those nations, and hence we don't want to give them the incorrect unit to the more official units page. Ingame, they use the german version.)
By the way, some images of all the japanese infantry units will come up shortly, they look awesome.

EDIT2: Vuorma, you have the wrong speed on the Zero. It has 450, not some measly 280!

Will any of the nations, not have Flamethrowers? Like Russia presumably?

@clockwork2: infantry in WiF have about the same value as they do in the map "risk: revolution", i.e. they are good in numbers, but die quite rapidly, especially when facing units that have a given anti-infantry role, such as flamers or light tanks (they will survive much longer against AT-guns and tank hunters, but the value of a single unit is quite small). You would only find yourself wasting time on giving them different weapons just to have them killed the next minute by a group of light tanks.

Also, i am pleased to announce, that the Tone-Class Heavy Cruiser is now finished!

file.php

file.php

file.php

see the devlog post, some background info, and more images HERE!!

As a side note, this is the ship that has been worked on the longest of all models for this project - almost a year!
it has been resting for some time since asian units have been of less priority, but now it is finally done!

Level 9
Nice work on the Hurricane and the Tone Fingolfin. I'm looking forward to see the next models :p

Btw, I went to the Aviation museum and took pictures of the BF-109, Spitfire, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt and some others. I'll upload them on my album as soon as I get home (this weekend).

Status
Not open for further replies.