• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [ReDuX]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
this looks freaking sweet man !!! like the idea, i havent really played a good map like this on wc3 battle.net hopefully you will pull through with this, but anyway man, i hope this comes up to my expectations !!! and i know it will ^^ , love to play it if you want to send me a version of it :D, i could find any errors and see if gameplay is smooth message me if you want me to try it out

Level 3
Update.
-Yugoslavia now goes to allies rather than axis

As a serbian, I otta kick your history teacher's ass for that... or whoever misinformed you so terribly.

Only a chunk of Yugoslavia went to the Axis side, and that is Croatia. I don't think any of the others went to the Axis side.

Anyway, good luck to everyone involved in this project! :)

Last edited:
New Model:

The M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am still working on restoring the lost models, but the only thing i really need to continue working right now is the map. I hope james comes online soon, otherwise i will make my own from scratch and make the terrain using the heightmap converter.

Attachments

• ScreenShot030.png
    ScreenShot030.png
    343.8 KB · Views: 285
  • ScreenShot031.png
    ScreenShot031.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 266
  • ScreenShot032.png
    ScreenShot032.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 282
Level 9
First: James7, I REALLY think your map COMPLETELY AWESOME xD. It's very interesting how you have created stuff. Just like in other map yours, Age of Napoleon, you made an awesome, realistic strategy map. +rep for sure :]

Second: Fingolfin, you are just trying to kill me :p. Man those models are COMPLETELY AWESOME :DD. +rep too for sure :]

EDIT: Sorry for my stupidness. Now that I've read all the thread, I'd like to suggest some stuff:

-I don't want to be a "dick", but the Destroyed T34's cannon is a kind of... strange. I mean the model is awesome, but the cannon could be different. For example, blown up. Or the turret itself could be kind of getting out of the tank. Also: Why is the normal T34 has only two gas tanks(or whatever), and the destroyed has four?
-The battleships could have a kind of ability that allows them to bombard the fortifications on the beaches(for example, the American Iowa-class firing its cannons against Japanese fortifications on islands.)
-A kind of aura for armored units that gives some armor to nearby infantry units (Armor Support).

Now, I got some questions:

-Which Troop Carriers are you planning to add?
-Which AT-Gun will be for U.S.A? (I can tell the QF 6 Pounder, Canon Modele 1897 and the M3 37mm.)
-I don't know if is balanced, but: Maybe every country(or some of them) could have a bonus, for example: The Soviets Soldiers are stronger if in Soviet Territory(or resist more to cold). The Japanese have an ability: "Bayonet Charge!" or something, since they where kind of kamikazes(saw in CoD: World at War).
-Is there any specifications of attack damage and speed, depending on the soldier's nation? (For example, increased attack speed to Soviets, because of the PPSh-41 smg)
-Will the Americans have the ability to create Nuclear Bombs, like the one that hit Hiroshima?
-Which Historical Events are you going to put in this map?

Last edited:
Thank you for your wonderful reply, hugomath! i can't believe i didn't notice it before.
Ok, i'll try to respond to this the best i can; the t-34, aswell as all other units with a gun, will have the barrel crumbling together to make it clear that the unit has been killed. Naturally, since the ammo storage was direcyly below the turret, it would flip off just as you said - but that would require me toadd extra texture for what's under the tower, aswell as extra polygons, and i simply don't find the effect appealing anyway.
The mysterious second barrel is explained by the fact that the tank has two barrels on the right side, and one on the left. i did this to make it look less symetric, as if it wasn't just rolled out of the factories.

And yes, battleships will be able to bombard shores, i had actually implemented it in the first version, but i am currently focusing on ground combat, so it has gone to the side a bit.
The idea of adding an armor aura to tanks is actually really great, taking cover behind the tanks was a very crucial part of the german blitzkrieg strategy, so it would make total sense. I do think it could cause lag though, with all those auras being checked at once, but i will see what i can do.

I'd like to inform everyone who subscribes to this thread that i have starded a new thread for this project, to keep the information updated and to have a more thorough presentation. You can find it here.

It has a full chart of all the vehicles in the game for the three large factions: Soviet, Allied and German. There are also other country specific models that will be published there once they are finished.
As for the allied AT-Gun, i will make the Ordnance QF 6pdr. I had the mesh ready, but it was lost in the reformat.

i won't add country specific bonuses (they were all humans!), but i will add small perks to the different vehicles depending on their actual efficiency in real life; T-34 will have decent damage, lower hit points than the german equivalent, but lower production time, and german tanks will generally cost more to produce. American tanks are pretty much metal scrap (Soviet soldiers who recieved american tanks reffered to the sherman as "a coffin for five brothers", while the grants were "a coffin for seven brothers") but will be more mass-friendly.

Do notice that there will be no such thing as "tank massing" in this map, in my testings i found that the most cost-effective army was the one that used infantry as a meat shield for the heavy tanks (they take less damage from armor piercing rounds, and lots of the damage is wasted on the small targets) and then used a line of medium tanks and a few heavy tanks in the back, killing the enemy armor.
The strategy oftenly failed if the enemy had a few light tanks though, since massed infantry gets butchered by the shrapnel AoE. To protect them from light tank ambushes you could pack them into halftracks to save them until they reach their destination.

Special events will be mainly the different war declarations between the nations, but also some temporary cost reductions prior to large assaults - Japan gets cost reduction for carriers and tactical bombers prior to pearl harbour, Germany gets reduced cost for heavy tanks prior to the battle of Kursk, etc. Some events also include neutral countries joining either side of the conflict.

The only thing i know for a fact about WOMD is that you will be able to research V2 technology; if map space allows, i will also make nuke bases.

Level 27
Here's few suggestions:
-New infantry: Special forces (a.k.a. SAS and alike if you're planing on adding different ones for all countries). invisible, can sabotage defences or infrastructure buildings, bit srtonger than just infantry.
-New building: Watchtower. Weaker than bunker, but detects Special Force.
-You should change flamethrower to Engineer, in WW2 ussually engineer divisions had flamethrower equiped infantry. Of course they should have some kinf of other abilities too, like repair or build basic defences...
-Armoured vehicles, more mobile than tanks and can carry infantry. has a machinegun instead of a cannon.

Level 9
Thank you for your wonderful reply, hugomath! i can't believe i didn't notice it before.
Ok, i'll try to respond to this the best i can; the t-34, aswell as all other units with a gun, will have the barrel crumbling together to make it clear that the unit has been killed [...]
(PS: I've read it all, just shorting)

Hmm very nice. The Historical Events seems good and I'm glad that you agreed with some stuff. About the Tank Aura, yes, maybe would cause lag but, give it a try :).

Here's few suggestions:
-New infantry: Special forces (a.k.a. SAS and alike if you're planing on adding different ones for all countries). invisible, can sabotage defences or infrastructure buildings, bit srtonger than just infantry.
-New building: Watchtower. Weaker than bunker, but detects Special Force.
-You should change flamethrower to Engineer, in WW2 ussually engineer divisions had flamethrower equiped infantry. Of course they should have some kinf of other abilities too, like repair or build basic defences...
-Armoured vehicles, more mobile than tanks and can carry infantry. has a machinegun instead of a cannon.

-I think Special Forces, like S.A.S and Spetsnaz(don't know exactly if ir already exists in WW2) may be very good. Sabotaging high fortified positions and/or tank divisions is very crucial for winning a battle or even the war.
-That watch tower you say, is also very interesting, if Fingolfin add the Special Forces.
-Don't know exactly, but maybe is a good idea.
-He already did it, I think.

tleno, you should really, really check the thread that i linked for hugo. It has pretty much all the information you were asking for.

I have watchtowers in the map, they are based on the burrow mechanic and has pretty long sight radius. I also have halftracks, which are unarmed ground transport units. i wanted to put guns of them, but it only made sense on the Sdkfz - and even then i had to make it a machinegun just firing without a gunner - so i ditched it.

Special forces will not be included. They are too micro heavy; first of all, this is a very macro focused game, and second, other infantry requires a lot of micro as it is to be used effectively.

As for the other infantry, there will be three classes: Soldiers (the ones wielding regular machineguns), Engineers (can place tank mines and build defensive structures) and Flamethrowers. i might consider combining the engineer with the flamethrower, but i don't want people to spam engineers just to get a unit with shock damage; it would make it too easy to lay a big mine field.

Level 9
tleno, you should really, really check the thread that i linked for hugo. It has pretty much all the information you were asking for.

I have watchtowers in the map, they are based on the burrow mechanic and has pretty long sight radius. I also have halftracks, which are unarmed ground transport units. i wanted to put guns of them, but it only made sense on the Sdkfz - and even then i had to make it a machinegun just firing without a gunner - so i ditched it.

Special forces will not be included. They are too micro heavy; first of all, this is a very macro focused game, and second, other infantry requires a lot of micro as it is to be used effectively.

As for the other infantry, there will be three classes: Soldiers (the ones wielding regular machineguns), Engineers (can place tank mines and build defensive structures) and Flamethrowers. i might consider combining the engineer with the flamethrower, but i don't want people to spam engineers just to get a unit with shock damage; it would make it too easy to lay a big mine field.

No Snipers D:? I think they were really important in WW2(In CoD: WaW, for example, there is a battle between a Soviet Sniper(the player) and a German Sniper, who keeps running in the windows like a bitch). Anyways, I'm going to only post on that link you gave me.

No, i don't like snipers in strategy games really. Besides, their only role was to take out commanders from enemy platoons, to cut the head of the little snakes, so to say.

i think the CoD games are based pretty heavily on war films such as Enemies at the gates, Saving private Ryan, Band of brothers etc. They copy the scenes almost precisely. ;)

Level 27
No Snipers D:? I think they were really important in WW2(In CoD: WaW, for example, there is a battle between a Soviet Sniper(the player) and a German Sniper, who keeps running in the windows like a bitch). Anyways, I'm going to only post on that link you gave me.

Oh yes, there was a sniper war in Stalingrad...

Well if you want to make Special Forces less macro, you can make so they would have that ability frost wirms have, so they would freeze up all the buildings they attack, making it easy to control them, without unnecesaery abilities.
Oh and no Specnaz apeared only after the war.

it's not only that, it's just that.. i think special forces seems like the lest important thing to put into a world war map. There was so much going on, i don't think countries sent batallions of SAS soldiers to the frontlines just like that. Perhaps only a tiny squad here and there, and in a large strategy game, i wouldn't care much for those. Also, i don't like the idea of invisible infantry units. as it is now, all infantry units have a small radius of true sight, so that they can detect land mines.
I don't know, i just don't like the idea.

Level 3
Wow seems like a nice project. Will it be needed to play with other players, if not I wouldn't mind testing it out for you and giving you some ideas I might get if you want. :)

Level 6
Man, This is like the best map i've seen in a LONG time. Who ever said only RPGs can have beast terrain =P. I would love to be a beta tester, and i know a way to reduce the file size, use vexorians map optimizer, sorry for bad spelling. Just go on google and find it, but be sure to keep a back up xD. This wont reduce in-game lag, but it will reduce file size and will reduce DL times on b.net

Level 27
My b-net account is called "I_Love_Cat".

Or it's just me or is there something zoophilic about your b-net account? No ofence, just joking.
Well if I will not be busy by that time you'll be testing, I might partipiciate. With all these holidays you just don't know when exactly will you be afk...
Talking about you map, I've got few more ideas:
-Major Fortified Complex. or something like that. A higly powerful defencive structure that might be crucial in defending key locations like cities from enemies. Takes a long time to construct, size is 2x2, has AA and ground attacks, making it vulnearable only to artilery.
-More mobile artilery version. Like shall we say Russian Katsiushas, Germans and allies didn't had powerful artilery like that, but they have shell-propelled or whatever artilery... like if I'm not mistaken Germans had Nachorn or whatevern like that, USA had Calliope which were like Katsiusha mounted on a Sherman tank, but these were produced in quite low quanities, so you could use Shell-propelled artilery for USA too. Artilery like these were not deployable on a field just like cannons of mortars, but already were mounted on a vehicle, making these more mobile.
-Nuke creation system. That's simple. most of the WW2 factions, well at least the biggest of them the USSR, USa and Germany tryed to create one. It was a whole race who'll make it first, but it required a lot of money. So ther's the system: I top right corner of the screen you'll have a board that will show your current progress in nuke development. You can set the part of income that you'll spend on nuclear weapon development. The speed used to develop nukes are equal to part of income spent on research*amount of research strucutres. Research structures are expensive and really long to build structures whuch also have an ability to increase or decrease the money spent on research (Using two buttons you have in them), and the progress bar appears only when you build one of them. Also when you completed the research you can create nuclear bombers in airbases or whatever, and research strucutres then will have an ability to give this technology to another player. like Western USA player develop it first and then gives to eastern one to finish Germany that is still fighting.

lol, you should still keep a track on the new thread, we just discussed the possibility of adding katyushas. :)
i too miss some kind of artillery unit in the game, we currenntly only have the tactical bombers and the super heavies for siege.

The nuke system sounds very interresting, at least the development part!
i don't want to make research facilities more expensive, reissuing factories have a symbolic cost and a small build time (about 15 seconds). Remember that you also use them for other researches.
If i implement nukes in this map, they will be represented by ballistic missiles fired from a launch base.
The notification in form of a multiboard with progress bars is a very nice solution though, to warn other players of what is to come. I will oversee this suggestion, though i am still not far enough in the progres of the map to implement nukes.

Status
Not open for further replies.