• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betty bomber model finished:

Bomb load, spread and carpet length will be balance parameters that differ between the bombers. This plane will be light and fast, with long operating range, but at the expense of a lighter bomb load and lower health. You can read more about this in the devlog post.

file.php

file.php

More images and full thread here!

Last edited:
lol, these cannons can shot?
and they got a nice idea puting one behind the plane btw

Currently i don't plan to give them any anti-air attack merely because of balance (i want airplanes to be the best counter against theese), but i have made it so that it is possible to lock the top turret to a target if i wanted to, so that it would always point to it (that would look kidna cool imo)

Level 22
Currently i don't plan to give them any anti-air attack merely because of balance (i want airplanes to be the best counter against theese), but i have made it so that it is possible to lock the top turret to a target if i wanted to, so that it would always point to it (that would look kidna cool imo)

Why not just make the turrets really shitty? xD
Like a 50% miss chance or really awful damage... Something like that.

We will not be making unique units for China, and therefore, we give them german units. There has been some discussion about this - the reason we picked german units is that every other set is represented already in the asian theatre - britain has allied models, the soviet union has a city in vladivostok (top left of china in asian map), and japan, ofcourse, has japanese units. The reason i'm not using soviet units is because that would be confusing for the japanese player since he borders to both china and russia, and would be confused as to who is attacking. Also, Germany helped to build Chinas military force before it sided with Japan, and therefore, most tanks in the chineese army were german.

As for the officer, japan has a very unique style of infantry play where soldiers are very weak without the presence of an officer. The officer gives a slight armor boost to nearby infantry, and also has the ability to order banzai charges, causing all nearby infantry to break into melee.

The units page on the website is not finished yet, so if you ever find yourself missing a unit for a nation, it might be up within sort notice. Some nations will have units that might not be on it, simply because we haven't finished the model for it yet (as is the case with soviet and american fighter aircraft, for instance).
Only Japan will have officers though.

@xRiotZx: Yeah, perhaps. I figured i'd keep it clean so that no players would think that it can stand on it's own against fighters when it can't. But perhaps i will do that.

Level 22
We will not be making unique units for China, and therefore, we give them german units. There has been some discussion about this - the reason we picked german units is that every other set is represented already in the asian theatre - britain has allied models, the soviet union has a city in vladivostok (top left of china in asian map), and japan, ofcourse, has japanese units. The reason i'm not using soviet units is because that would be confusing for the japanese player since he borders to both china and russia, and would be confused as to who is attacking. Also, Germany helped to build Chinas military force before it sided with Japan, and therefore, most tanks in the chineese army were german.

As for the officer, japan has a very unique style of infantry play where soldiers are very weak without the presence of an officer. The officer gives a slight armor boost to nearby infantry, and also has the ability to order banzai charges, causing all nearby infantry to break into melee.

The units page on the website is not finished yet, so if you ever find yourself missing a unit for a nation, it might be up within sort notice. Some nations will have units that might not be on it, simply because we haven't finished the model for it yet (as is the case with soviet and american fighter aircraft, for instance).
Only Japan will have officers though.

@xRiotZx: Yeah, perhaps. I figured i'd keep it clean so that no players would think that it can stand on it's own against fighters when it can't. But perhaps i will do that.

It would look hella cool. :D

B17 Flying Fortress:

This plane has the largest bombload of all bombers in the game, it drops a total of twelve bombs over a distance of 600 (in warcraft measures), compared to the Betty, which only drops eight bombs over a distance of 500 (making it more of a precision bomber). However, it is slow and expensive, with low fuel, but make up for it in extra hit points.

file.php

file.php

file.php

As usual, you can find more images in the original devlog post here.

Level 22
B17 Flying Fortress:

This plane has the largest bombload of all bombers in the game, it drops a total of twelve bombs over a distance of 600 (in warcraft measures), compared to the Betty, which only drops eight bombs over a distance of 500 (making it more of a precision bomber). However, it is slow and expensive, with low fuel, but make up for it in extra hit points.

As usual, you can find more images in the original devlog post here.

It doesn't seem like a plane that huge would have problems with available fuel. xD

Level 9
Beautiful work on the B-17 (and the Betty!). I see we are close to a open beta release, eh? :p

By the way, I've uploaded all the pictures I took from that aviation museum. I was going to take a lot more pictures of model scales (they had almost all WW2 aircraft that I know in 1:72 models, and even some more cold war-era and modern ones), but my sister had to go to work. Sorry for that.
Anyway, click here to see the album.

Level 19
Will there be a way to set fire to the fuel of an aircraft in-game for like, as a last resort?
Like, allowing it to explode, killing allies/enemies around.

Level 6
I have only one question, WTF is China doing in here? As far as i know China never really participated in WW2 that much, they only got their ass kicked by the Japanese and pretty much that's it. Don't meant to be a jerk or anything. But so far the project looks incredibly great, it reminds me of a mod i saw on Red Alert 2 called D-Day, with the same WW2 setting and 7 playable factions: America, Russia, Germany, Italy, France, Japan and Italy.

And also, why split America into two?

Level 22
I have only one question, WTF is China doing in here? As far as i know China never really participated in WW2 that much, they only got their ass kicked by the Japanese and pretty much that's it. Don't meant to be a jerk or anything. But so far the project looks incredibly great, it reminds me of a mod i saw on Red Alert 2 called D-Day, with the same WW2 setting and 7 playable factions: America, Russia, Germany, Italy, France, Japan and Italy.

And also, why split America into two?

South America - North America, at least that's how I would have done it?

As for China, China was heavily involved in WW2, they didn't really get their ass kicked, they held their ground better than most countries did versus the Japanese. They were also allied with Russia trading supplies etc... I guess China is like a "Minor Allied".

@Fingolfin: Will France be a playable faction Fingolfin? They didn't really have an army, just a bunch of rebels led by Charles de Gaulle, and will the Josip Tito's rebel forces, (I forgot the damn name) have any part in the map?

And another thing, in the WiF homepage where you can see the tanks,infantry, ships it would be amazing if you could set a picture. If you press on the Tiger (for example) you will get a picture and some details about it.

I think that is an awesome idea, though it is up to vuorma since he is the webmaster. I'll let him answer to that.

And no, so far, the machinegun turrets have no purpouse, but i have made it so that i can make them work, incase i wanted to (the top turret would point at the target). For now i want heavy bombers to be defenseless agaisnt fighters, since those are supposed to be the best counter for them (it is very hard for flak batteries to kill a bomber before it has gotten to drop its bombs)

@Jargalhurts: China is there to balance the asian theatre. If there were no china, japan would have no one to fight except one russian city and a handfull of british troops, apart from the US, which would make the asian theatre somewhat redundant (just Japan fighting some neutral cities before attacking the US). Also, China did hold out unil the end of the war, and did hold off some major offensives on the city of Shangsha, which is a strategically very important city on the asian theatre.

@xRiotZx: no, france put up very little opposition once the maginot line was passed, and it is a very small are of the map (it only has three cities).

South America is not included, and North America has recently been combined into a single country, while Canada has been made neutral. It is kinda awkward that the US has to conquer Canada, but it makes more sense than having two countries for east and west.

and @Hugomath: really nice pictures there, i hope you had a great time!

EDIT: Just finished the Mustang!!

file.php

file.php

Full devlog post here!

And to all beta members, i'd like to inform that we will indeed be having a test featuring both theatres this saturday, in preparation for open beta (there is still a bit to go but we are almost there!!)

Level 9
Mustang looking good! Only thing is that the foldable wings make it look a bit awkward, but the airplane itself is awesome!

Alright, some updates!

Reseased a ModDB post revealing the japanese faction, read it here!

file.php

Added the Iowa Class Battleship for the britts/americans which you can find in our devlog:

file.php

file.php

file.php

*Increased HP for all infantry units (except flamethrower and officer) by 10 - they are now no longer a cannon fodder unit, but actually really effective against both AT-guns, heavy tanks, and especially artillery (any ammount of soldiers can take down an artillery piece without casualties, since they cannot fire back due to minimum firing distance). All battles with infantry involved now lasts longer, and you no longer have to spam for them to be effective.

*Increased build time of Battleships and carriers, also this to prevent spam.

*Added Auto-Launch on/off option for airfield, which causes it to automatically send all fueled aircraft to engage to it's rally point. This also means that Heavy Bombers will bomb at that location. It currently only sends planes who have been sent somewhere but then returned when their fuel ran out - they don't send planes that have been ordered to land or that are just constructed, but i am working on that too.

Level 9
I lol'ed at that picture xD.

I remembered you saying that battleships would be able to carry airplanes. Can they?

Status
Not open for further replies.