• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What kind of Music Do you Like?

What kind of music do you like?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Metal and Classical. I have an obsession over Disturbed.... awesome band! I also happen to love the World of Warcraft, Oblivion, Lord of the Rings, and Witcher soundtracks. Probably stems from me being a violinist.

But how about rap? Hmmm... I HATE Rap. I hate it with a fiery passion. I think it doesn't deserve to be called "music". There is nothing "musical" about Rap.

Gangster rap is shit. Some Rap is good, though. It's like a step up form of poetry.

Level 14
Chose other on the poll because I'll listen to just about anything, at least once.

Hell, get me a good Gregorian Chant and I'll be happy.

Mainly I listen to progressive rock, though.

Holy shit, didn't expect metal to be so popular. I am mostly for melodic black metal, as I am a composer and keyboard player myself.
I mostly like bands like dimmu borgir, though some'll give me bullshit about it not being black metal (where it fits the definition). I despise cradle of filth, though. Out of symphonic stuff I listen to Kamelot, Nightwish, and Epica, though there's some things I dislike about all those. I like some forms of electro gothic such as Deathstars, but not much above it. It's got just enough electro sound + metal to make it sound good. People often give me shit for not listening to Immortal, which I barely consider to be music anyway, I don't even think they compose what they play (yay, strumming heavy distortion at 600 times per minute, awesome!).

But yeah, I listen to some indie such as Arctic Monkeys, Klaxons (yeah, I despise gay-like vocals, but meh), then some alternative stuff like Godsmack (awesome percussion and vocals), and so on, mostly metal/rock stuff.

Level 22
Holy shit, didn't expect metal to be so popular. I am mostly for melodic black metal, as I am a composer and keyboard player myself.
I mostly like bands like dimmu borgir, though some'll give me bullshit about it not being black metal (where it fits the definition). I despise cradle of filth, though. Out of symphonic stuff I listen to Kamelot, Nightwish, and Epica, though there's some things I dislike about all those. I like some forms of electro gothic such as Deathstars, but not much above it. It's got just enough electro sound + metal to make it sound good. People often give me shit for not listening to Immortal, which I barely consider to be music anyway, I don't even think they compose what they play (yay, strumming heavy distortion at 600 times per minute, awesome!).

But yeah, I listen to some indie such as Arctic Monkeys, Klaxons (yeah, I despise gay-like vocals, but meh), then some alternative stuff like Godsmack (awesome percussion and vocals), and so on, mostly metal/rock stuff.

Dimmu Borgir is a norwegian band and Kamelot has a norwegian singer XD. Norway FTW!

Level 9
whats your favourite music?

ok people since im bored and have nothing to do... asking ppl what their favourite songs are might relieve me of this pain and increase my knowledge of music.

here we go:
Everytime we touch (cascada)
The Riddle (gigi d'austino)
Crush on you (tata young)

Level 9
Rammstein - Ich Will
Disturbed - Criminal
Disturbed - Land of Confusion

The 3 I listen to the most in the last 7 days.

Ska is pretty much Reggae, or as my bass teacher calls it "The really cheesy European version of Reggae" (Not exactly sure where the European part came from)

agreed. couldnt stand how death metal is breaking up my eardrums

Then you will never truly understand metal (Meh, Death Metals not my thing, but other metals are great. I like most metal that doesn't include annoying vocals like pig squeals - Some good bands would All That Remains, Killswitch Engage and Five Finger Death Punch).

Eh, disgusting. Pop wouldn't be so bad if the songs weren't about the same cliched topics, the musicians didn't lip sync in concert, all the music didn't sound nearly exactly the same and, the actual music having little if anything in the way of unique or talented playing, but sadly.............

Except Death Metal and other noisy types, which, in my opinion, can't be even called «music». They're nothing but noise

Most people who listen to metal can't call Pop Music. To them they're nothing but prefabricated sound intent on extracting money by selling out.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
[...]
Eh, disgusting. Pop wouldn't be so bad if the songs weren't about the same cliched topics, the musicians didn't lip sync in concert, all the music didn't sound nearly exactly the same and, the actual music having little if anything in the way of unique or talented playing, but sadly.............
There are many good Pop singers. If you can't think of any, then you do not know the best Pop singers. It is indeed true and a pity, however, that the topics are cliché.

WherewolfTherewolf said:
Rui said:
Except Death Metal and other noisy types, which, in my opinion, can't be even called «music». They're nothing but noise
Most people who listen to metal can't call Pop Music. To them they're nothing but prefabricated sound intent on extracting money by selling out.
I listen to both. If you noticed, I referred Death Metal only. I actually enjoy listening to Gothic Metal and Gothic Rock. Now, I don't know if there's any music type less pleasant than Death Metal, but, if there is – in which case I'll refer to where I wrote «other noisy types» –, I certainly don't want to listen to it.
As for prefabricated? Maybe. But extracting money by selling out, that is exactly the objective of music, regardless of type. Or means.

Level 3
I listen basically to the metal genre. Thrash metal (Metallica <3) and Power metal (Helloween, edguy etc.)

Now behold the greatest metal vocalist ever to walk on the earth:
ride31.jpg

JAMES HETFIELD OF METALLICA!!!

I don't know if there's any music type less pleasant than Death Metal

Yeah, there are definitely music types less pleasant then Death Metal. Some Rap is hard to listen to for various reasons (noticed Rap and R and B are absent from the Poll), some people simply write Ambiance music or something like that, but it really isn't music, normally its just random sounds and nonsense from a synthesizer. I know theres a form of electronica, forgot what it's called, where the tempo is ungodly high (1000 bpm+, though this can be thought of like 100 bpm, the notes still go into categories not normally used in music sometimes getting like 512th notes) which can make the music incredibly hard to listen to.

Level 6
Ska is pretty much Reggae, or as my bass teacher calls it "The really cheesy European version of Reggae" (Not exactly sure where the European part came from)

Well, the original ska is indeed very similar to reggae. Why, even Bob Marley and the Wailers are sometimes classified as ska, which I found rather surprising. I guess I should have specified that I dig the third-wave ska, and not so much the predecessors, save a little two tone. Third-wave isn't all that similar to reggae... it has evolved into something a little different.

As for your teacher mentioning Europe, I may have an answer. In my research for new ska bands I have discovered a surprisingly vast amount of European ska bands that I had never heard of; it would appear that the genre of ska survives ferociously over there while over here it died in the early 00's. Maybe that's what he was referring to... I dunno.

Level 13
I won't vote because you put "metal" as one genre.

That's like saying Lil' Wayne and good rappers (of which I know no names, only heard some) are the same thing.

Well he'd run out of room containing all types of every genre:
-Nu Metal
-Death Metal
-Speed Metal
-Goth Metal
-Industrial Metal
-Screamo
-Metalcore
-Black Metal
-Alternative Metal
-Art Metal

Thats only scratching the surface....

Also If you haven't noticed its missing a ton of other categories:
-Electronica
-Rap (And all its categories)
-Alt
-R and B
-Blues
-Hip Hop
-Disco

etc. etc.

Also define "Normal Rock" - its kinda hard to choose a "norm" for any sort of genre as every band has its individuality.

Level 13
Well, Wherewolf, I do believe "Screamo," death metal and goth metal are the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've also never heard of "Metalcore," alternative metal, art metal or nu metal. o_o

Well, Wherewolf, I do believe "Screamo," death metal and goth metal are the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've also never heard of "Metalcore," alternative metal, art metal or nu metal. o_o

Well I can tell you don't listen to much metal then. There are differences there:
-Screamo - don't particularly like this, mostly screaming, high pitched and ear peircing. Guitar includes a lot of things like hammer ones, bass nothing special. A lot of Emo music with screaming can also be considered Screamo (I'm not exactly sure, but I think thats the root of the word - Scream + Emo = Screamo).
Edit: Screamo actually was born from Hardcore Punk instead of metal so thats a huge difference. Its become more of a generic term for music with screaming in it as of late
-Death Metal - Arguably the heaviest genre of metal. Doesn't need to have screaming but its often included, the singing is often very low pitched (take Deth-Clok for example, not saying their death metal but the singing is like it).
-Goth Metal - Goth Metal can often be grouped in with regular metal. A good goth metal type song would be like "Our Truth" by Lacuna Coil (meh, it can be argued whether its Goth Metal or not but its pretty goth).

Nu-Metal - Think Korn and Disturbed here, a lot of hardcore metal fans don't consider it metal.

Metalcore - A pretty new genre of metal. Varies in sound, so I'm not the best person to describe it since I don't listen to it much.

Alternative Metal - Listen to Tool (Vicarious is a good example) for an example of this. Often not as heavy as other types of metal

Art Metal - Like Art Rock, just heavier. Often favors keyboard over guitar in what instrument is "show cased" and can very a lot in sound.

Wikipedia:

The term avant-garde metal refers to bands and musicians who "incorporate new and innovative elements in metal, who break conventions, tear down walls, violate borders."[4] The genre has also been described as "the art of creating deep and strange atmospheres by experimenting with new instruments and sounds, strange vocals, unconventional song structures, rhythms and harmonies, unusual lyrics or uncommon artwork" or alternatively, "progressive, psychedelic, surrealistic, phantasmagoric, expressionistic, dissonant or extravagant interpretations of extreme metal."[4]

Michael Haas of Angizia notes that avant-garde is "a conscious distance from traditional listening and composing habits"[5] while Svein Egil Hatlevik of Fleurety identifies avant-garde metal as "an aesthetic ideology" to "make music that's more than just average metal." He also notes that heavy metal music is a "field where it still makes sense to be avantgarde" because it is "one of the most conservative fields of artistic practice in the world."[6] Not everyone agrees with the use of the term to establish a subgenre of metal, however. Jeff Arwadi of Kekal warns that "when another sub-genre has become established, it would create nothing but limits, and I don't think it's wise if we try to establish sub-genre [sic] that limits creativity and expression."[7] Chlordane of The Amenta takes issue with the tendency in heavy metal music for "anyone who does something slightly weird" to be considered avant-garde. He contends that the term should not be used unless a band is "pushing music forward," further suggesting that the mere use of classical music in heavy metal is not avant-garde as it "has been done," "is not new" and "offers nothing."[8]

In his essay "What is Avant-garde Metal?" (2009), philosopher Oliver Side contextualizes avant-garde metal on a larger (than musical) scale to demonstrate how this kind of music is strongly related to both social and biopsychological psychedelism in general. Furthermore, he doesn't believe we can neither describe avant-garde metal by an analysis of its instrumentation, technique and musical theory (which are potentially unlimited in this context anyway), nor try to rationalize its content to make it fit into the restrictive concept of a so-called "subgenre of heavy metal", because avant-garde metal is in a constant flux of metamorphoses and therefore is by nature beyond any categorization.[9]

It really depends on how specific you want to get. You could group Alt Rock, Hard Rock, Rock and Roll all together as Rock, but thats not as specific

Level 13
Ok... let's see. *inhale*
Death Metal
Industial Metal
Trash Metal
Progressive Metal
Folk Metal
Grindcore
Hardcore Punk
Punk
Rock
Hard Rock
Rave music
Pop
All kinds of humorous music

And all kinds of other music depending on my mood.

Level 21
You have no idea, I tell you all metal kinds:

Heavy Metal,
Power Metal,
Speed Metal,
Hair Metal,
Glamour Metal (mostly called "Art Metal"),
Thrash Metal,
Death Metal,
Dark Metal,
Brutal Death Metal,
Grindcore (most aggressive metal),
New British Wave Metal (like Iron Maiden, mostly called "normal" Metal),
Progressive Metal,
Metalcore (Mostly called Emocore),
"True" Metal (different type of heavy metal),
Nu Metal,
Alternative Metal,
Wiking Metal,
Folk Metal (has many under-genres),
Melodic Death Metal,
Industrial Metal,
Goth Metal,
Black Metal,
Grunge Metal,
Pagan Metal,
Opera Metal (like Avantasia)

I hope that are enough, lol.

Level 13
Grindcore is not metal... Grindcore may have it's roots in some genres of metal, but it mostly draws from Hardcore Punk. You go to any Grindcore concert and say "this is some good metal" and I can assure you, you're going to get your ass kicked.

That still doesn't seem like a complete list of all forms of metal, also I wouldn't call Glamor metal Art metal
Wiking Metal,
Is this supposed to be Viking Metal? Never head of Wiking Metal

Melodic could be tagged onto any type of metal really, so I wouldn't consider Melodic Death metal seperate from Death Metal. Just because something follows melodies more so then riffs doesn't mean its different from its genre (ex, Rise Against latest album is much more melodic then before, but that doesn't exactly mean its no longer punk).

Pagan Metal,
I really don't see how tagging a religion to a genre makes it any different (except in the case of Christian rock which really isn't rock)

Really If the list were too include all types of metal in it, the votes would be so spread out it wouldn't provide any information

linkin parkz

1st 2 albums were great, 3+ meh

Level 21
Ehm, Pagan Metal is a own genre dude, you have no idea, you know?

And yes it is written Viking Metal, I am german, in german we write Vikings as Wikinger, so the mistake. My Apologizes.

Here a example for Pagan Metal:http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan_Metal (first the prove of the existence, it is even on wikipedia), and here a musical example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO8-iYzG5FE (Pagan Metal example: Equilibrium)

Level 13
You have no idea, I tell you all metal kinds:

Heavy Metal,
Power Metal,
Speed Metal,
Hair Metal,
Glamour Metal (mostly called "Art Metal"),
Thrash Metal,
Death Metal,
Dark Metal,
Brutal Death Metal,
Grindcore (most aggressive metal),
New British Wave Metal (like Iron Maiden, mostly called "normal" Metal),
Progressive Metal,
Metalcore (Mostly called Emocore),
"True" Metal (different type of heavy metal),
Nu Metal,
Alternative Metal,
Wiking Metal,
Folk Metal (has many under-genres),
Melodic Death Metal,
Industrial Metal,
Goth Metal,
Black Metal,
Grunge Metal,
Pagan Metal,
Opera Metal (like Avantasia)

I hope that are enough, lol.
Where did melodic metal which does not fall into the "death" category go?

What are you talking? there are more as 200 Pagan metal bands, it is a serious music genre which is since a long time existent...

I said nothing wrong against Pagan Metal. I simply said the band sounded awesome and that it kinda reminded me of another band, and it seemed to have some influences from video game music.

Heres a vid of the band I was saying it kinda sounded like

(Just so you can see that it wasn't intended as an insult)

But yeah I said nothing wrong towards the band or the genre itself, I just said it kinda sounded a bit like another band and had a bit of a metal mixed with pop rock sound to it.

Btw, I have to say thats the first time I've heard metal accordion (I'm pretty sure that's one of the instruments in that song you provided a link to)

Status
Not open for further replies.