• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #3 - Peaceful

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiveLogo.png

178091-albums2336-picture100499.png
178091-albums2336-picture100500.png
178091-albums2336-picture100501.png

178091-albums2336-picture100709.png

178091-albums2336-picture100502.png

Contestants are to create an experience containing no battles, blood or any traces of violence.
The map type is still quite open, but make sure to create something original.
178091-albums2336-picture100503.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be more-or-less bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.
178091-albums2336-picture100504.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon
178091-albums2336-picture100507.png

• Ardenian
  • rulerofiron99
178091-albums2336-picture100508.png

OriginalityDoes the entry bring any new ideas to the table? This may include gameplay mechanics, genre or different iterations of an existing concept.25pts
GameplayThe fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player?
e.g. Are the spell effects satisfying, is there replayability, is the plot compelling, ...?
25pts
ThemeDoes the entry conform to the contest's assigned theme 'Peace(ful)'?
A map containing blood, gore, violence, fights, anger, unrest, etc. will lose points in this category.
20pts
AestheticsThe beauty of the map: how well-made is above all the terrain?
This includes the right choice of doodads for the theme of the environment, the lighting, the proper use of imported models, etc.
Overall, the visuals of the map are judged in this category, thus the terrain and, additionally, the spell effects, the atmosphere of the map (which may include the use of an atmospheric soundtrack), etc.
15pts
Triggers/PerformanceDoes the map run well performance-wise?
Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, game-breaking bugs, etc.
Due to the contest's short duration, small bugs here and there, which do not retract much from the user experience, will not reduce the contestant's points in this category.
10pts
PolishingDoes the map have a title, an in-game description, a quest log?
Is the in-game text clear to read (this may include proper use of colors)?
Are there assigned hotkeys for skills and are they easy to use?
Are the hero/skill tooltips clean and easy on the eyes?
If custom icons were used, were their counterparts (e.g. 'DISBTN', etc.) properly imported?
5pts
The above table is only preliminary and may change till the start of the contest.
  • 65% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
178091-albums2336-picture100509.png

Weekend Mapping Madness #3 is set to begin on Friday the 14th at 00:00 GMT and conclude on Sunday the 16th at 23:59 GMT.

Last edited:
So uh, I've taken the liberty of changing the judging criteria a little and decided to put more on emphasis on originality, gameplay and theme than the terrain and polishing since this is a three-day contest.
Obviously, since I'm also going to be a contestant, I can't just set the criteria on my own, so the above table is up for further discussion till next week.
For further reference, you can check out the previous mapping madness' criteria and also the criteria of the last mini-mapping contest for reference.

Oh and I'm gonna add a header image later.

Level 10
For the sake of rule clarification: violence is defined by malicious intent. With that in mind...
1. Would natural disasters that hurt/kill players be allowed? Like falling rocks or avalanches; random events that shake up the normal gameplay.
2. There is a map called Sheep Farmer, which is exactly what it sounds like; you build a farm, feed and breed sheep, mostly peaceful gameplay but you can/kinda have to slaughter sheep on occasion (like for money or food). Would that negatively impact the score of the game if it was submitted for this contest?
3. The judging guidelines include "anger and unrest" under the "not-peaceful" umbrella. I'm wondering what this means, like is the gameplay not supposed to be stressful and challenging or you just can't use them as themes for the map?

Does "peaceful" include that other factions (like AI vs AI) are forbidden as well or just for the player?
Well you can still include a faction vs faction aspect, but you'd have to make sure the two factions aren't fighting each other or something ;P
For the sake of rule clarification: violence is defined by malicious intent. With that in mind...
1. Would natural disasters that hurt/kill players be allowed? Like falling rocks or avalanches; random events that shake up the normal gameplay.
2. There is a map called Sheep Farmer, which is exactly what it sounds like; you build a farm, feed and breed sheep, mostly peaceful gameplay but you can/kinda have to slaughter sheep on occasion (like for money or food). Would that negatively impact the score of the game if it was submitted for this contest?
3. The judging guidelines include "anger and unrest" under the "not-peaceful" umbrella. I'm wondering what this means, like is the gameplay not supposed to be stressful and challenging or you just can't use them as themes for the map?
1. Obviously wouldn't be allowed - that's pretty much the opposite of peaceful
2. Yeah, I suppose the slaughtering part would make you lose points. Slaughter -> violence -> blood ≠peaceful
3. Lol, no. The plot, the atmosphere and the characters may show signs of anger or unrest, which wouldn't be allowed. But if the gameplay would make the player angry or uneasy, then that might make you lose points in the gameplay category, not the theme category.
Potentially interested
Yaaaay!

Level 25
Great! :)

Again guys, thoughts on the judging criteria if possible. Even if you agree with the points, at least let me know with a short comment.

I'm perfectly happy with them, good adjustment.

Yeah !
The Criteria seems Fine, However adding a "Uniqueness" Table wouldn't hurt. Right?

That's under the Originality section.

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I believe Uniqueness depends on Gameplay but Originality depends on The Plot.

For example The Idea I have for my map for this Contest might be Original, but not Unique.

I partly agree with Arad MNK here. I make a difference between uniqueness and originality.
Tho, I don't think there should be a separate section for it and in case there is, just a minor with a maximum of 5 or 10 points. One can simply add it as sub-point to originality, I guess, as it was said.

Level 25
I believe Uniqueness depends on Gameplay but Originality depends on The Plot.

For example The Idea I have for my map for this Contest might be Original, but not Unique.

Originality includes both plot and mechanics choices.

Something that is original is the first thing like it to be created. If there is only one of something (after its first creation), it is also unique.

Level 10
With everyone debating uniqueness/originality, I want to mention that I think giving that section 25 points is a little high. It's worth more than following the theme, which is basically the point of having the contest. Maybe swap them: theme is worth 25, originality is worth 20.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

With everyone debating uniqueness/originality, I want to mention that I think giving that section 25 points is a little high. It's worth more than following the theme, which is basically the point of having the contest. Maybe swap them: theme is worth 25, originality is worth 20.

I disagree. If you just reproduce a peaceful map it is not very original.
While the theme is the main focus and the essence of the map, I think it is also important the map idea itself is unique.

Originality shouldn't lose points in favour of theme, in my opinion.

That's what makes this contest interesting. I think I have my idea planned out for the weekend. But coming up with interesting mechanics without any violence is definitely a challenge.

I would join too but I can't find any good idea that doesn't involve anything that is peaceful. A character who worries or is stressed out is not peaceful, it's just hard to think of anything interesting and not boring with peace in mind.

What exactly does your idea involve? Any clues? (You don't have to reveal") :p

Level 8
I would join too but I can't find any good idea that doesn't involve anything that is peaceful. A character who worries or is stressed out is not peaceful, it's just hard to think of anything interesting and not boring with peace in mind.

That is where your brain needs to work hard.

Level 10

Go Fish 2 is the root of my idea. A leisurely game where you go fishing that is somehow fun every once in awhile. Now that I think about it, I wonder if fishing counts as violence (against animals); not to say I'm doing fishing.

Level 10
Boo.

Come on guys, be a little creative. Just imagine what you'd think of when you hear the word peaceful. ;D

I think my idea's all set, though I still need to extend it or else my map will be quite short...

People have to think outside the box with this challenge. Though, checking my entire map collection I can only find 2 100% peaceful maps: Maze Builder and Pictionary (and the first still has you shooting slow-missiles at creeps, IIRC, so that's a no-go without changing it to a slow-aura or something). I mean there's also Go Fish, Blizzard's Grand Prix, and Blizzard's Funny Bunny Egg Hunt but one has the death of loads of fish; another the mass slaughtering of sheep, battleship bombardments, and blowing up other racers (to name a couple things); and the last contains demonic bunnies from hell trying to murder your butt. There's probably a reason for such few maps of this type to reference.
But for my map I just need to think of mechanics that keep it interesting after 5 minutes; otherwise I'm pretty much ready for the weekend. This certainly is a tough challenge, though.

PS: If any of you not-very-creative people didn't pay attention, I just listed out a bunch of references. Use them as inspiration for your own ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.