• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #3 - Peaceful

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't start working on it before the contest started? Damn it, I guess I'd have to scrap that now? Very well I'll wait until Friday to begin working on a new map.

# It's kind of stupid to show the theme before the contest... Because some guys cheat and start earlier.

I agree. It's better for the contest to start on the day since it was created, these day delays are not really helpful because some people like me could have started unknowingly if that was allowed. Heck, I could have not even showed the WIP and nobody would have suspected me. That's the problem with these contest starting dates.

Somebody is probably working on the map for the contest earlier and that is really not fair. I suggest not to reveal contest theme or just start the contest immediately.

Level 17
# It's kind of stupid to show the theme before the contest... Because some guys cheat and start earlier.

Can't agree more.

However not Actually the SAME day, maybe a day or maybe a Few hours before the Day I think it should be Posted.
I Imagine:

Somebody comes home and Thinks: "OK I got no project in Hive so let's rest."
And Goes to sleep. After 5 Hours that he wakes up, He Brings Hive up and Sees that a Contest has started, and he Joins.
However, he already had lost 5 hours due to him not Knowing.

So yeah, maybe a Day/few hours earlier, But not 2+ Days.
See what A Void did?
His was due to him not Knowing, But maybe somebody could actually Cheat, Knowingly.

EDIT: Can we plan how Our map would be? Cause I have an idea but I don't know if it's With the Contest...

This is a contest where you show off stuff about warcraft, not random techno photoshop stuff :)

That was Warcraft 3. Do I have to make a video just for you? That was "Matrix" terrain in Warcraft 3. And it's still a WIP.

Furthermore this is not a contest where you show off stuff about Warcraft it's mapping contest with a theme. Geez.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I have a great idea, most files on Windows have a date set to it. Created, Modified ect.. It could help judges to decide whether a user has cheated and started working on the map before the contest started.

What do you say?

Sounds great. Tho, if someone REALLY wants to cheat one will always find a way.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
A map containing blood, gore, violence, fights, anger, unrest, etc. will lose points in this category..

A map without anger? Goddamnit. Cannot do that.

@Ardenian and A Void:
It wouldn't be hard manipulating that (not gonna say how for obvious reasons, but *I* won't do it since I don't need to) and also, the empty map itself could already have been created a long time ago or one could use an old map as template, so... not practical. We gotta trust each other - we don't have much of a choice.

Level 15
Entry.jpg

My first entry. Kinda. -WIP 1.-

Level 17
I have a great idea, most files on Windows have a date set to it. Created, Modified ect.. It could help judges to decide whether a user has cheated and started working on the map before the contest started.

What do you say?

I am Using UTM.

I Checked the Date and guess what.

It shows "May 28, 2015"
It means when I downloaded UTM.

And This way might not work for Map-Makers who seek out a great terrain. (Me included)

So this won't work for all.

But a Very good idea.

I am Using UTM.

I Checked the Date and guess what.

It shows "May 28, 2015"
It means when I downloaded UTM.

And This way might not work for Map-Makers who seek out a great terrain. (Me included)

So this won't work for all.

But a Very good idea.

Is it allowed to use pre-created maps?

Edit: You can download again UTM right now. :p

Level 17
Shar said:
You aren't meant to create ANYTHING earlier. Not even import stuff or work on object data.

You don't do ANYTHING but thinking before the contest starts. Is it THAT hard to understand?

I Didn't do anything Shar.
Fladdermasken has already done with UTM.
Anyway, Let's see what Vengeancekael says.
I hope it's correct cuz Terraining Has been finished.

Side Note: I might Export the Enviroment data and Use it in another map and do the Doodad stuff myself.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I Didn't do anything Shar.
Fladdermasken has already done with UTM.
Anyway, Let's see what Vengeancekael says.

Side Note: I might Export the Enviroment data and Use it in another map and do the Doodad stuff myself.
Shar Dundred is totally right.
You are not allowed to import/use anything you created before the contest starts. This includes any import of object data and other data.
You are not allowed to create terrain or anything else before the contest starts.
You are supposed to create the whole map from scratch.

Not doing so will result in disqualification.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72

This is a contest, not a request concert.
What sense would the time limit (first post!) make if we could start earlier? You have 4 hours more than the rest of us. The rest of us (hopefully) hasn't done anything before 0:00 GMT. Why should you be allowed to keep your four hour advantage? Cause you don't wanna do it again? Please...

Level 17
You are of course allowed to use UTM, but not start before the contest has begun.

Yes. (I mean like YESSSSSS)

Heh, just started Today And the Terrain is Finished hopefully.
(Triggers, 0%, Terrain, 99%)

First of all, you may notice the name of the Image files range from 10-18.
That's because I have 9 other pictures (WIP's) that I took when the Map was Young. I Decided not to include them as they are N00bish.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Please let me know of what you think :D

Attachments

• WIP 10.PNG
    WIP 10.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 167
  • WIP 11.PNG
    WIP 11.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 237
  • WIP 12.PNG
    WIP 12.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 198
  • WIP 13.PNG
    WIP 13.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 173
  • WIP 14.PNG
    WIP 14.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 157
  • WIP 15.PNG
    WIP 15.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
  • WIP 16.PNG
    WIP 16.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
  • WIP 17.PNG
    WIP 17.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 175
  • WIP 18.PNG
    WIP 18.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 133
Level 17
Vengy said:
Lmao, that was fast.

WTF?
Just imagine...
Starting working from 6:30 A.M 'Till 5:00 P.M with a 4 hours Break.
6:30 Hours of terraining and it was fast? Are you kidding?

@Yar WIP: Seems nice! I used the same tree in my ORPG project.

You have 4 hours more than the rest of us.

Yes, Iran is +4:30 GMT but the contest still starts from 0:00 GMT, So I couldn't start 4:30 hours earlier.

Besides, I was sleep back then. (4:30 A.M, And you expect me to be awake?)

Last edited:
You are of course allowed to use UTM, but not start before the contest has begun.

Um.. No.

"Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest."

If we go by logic, UTM is a map made before this contest. Using it greatly is considered cheating because it has almost everything necessary already imported and it's not fair to those people that make map from scratch.

So let's say I made a map, imported bunch of models and modified Object Editor then I waited until the day contest began to start working on the map. It's considered cheating because it's a pre-made map. Using pre-made maps is not allowed as a submission to the contest.

We might as well use other maps (like DOTA) and add them to the contest as a submission. That wouldn't be fair at all.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Yes, Iran is +4:30 GMT but the contest still starts from 0:00 GMT, So I couldn't start 4:30 hours earlier.

Besides, I was sleep back then. (4:30 A.M, And you expect me to be awake?)

You don't seem to get my point. It has absolutely nothing to do with your time zone, bzt the fact that you've been working on terrain BEFORE 0:00 GMT and worked on it for 4 hours. THAT is against the rules imo.

But okay, keep that. I don't care that much.

Level 17
You don't seem to get my point. It has absolutely nothing to do with your time zone, bzt the fact that you've been working on terrain BEFORE 0:00 GMT and worked on it for 4 hours. THAT is not okay.

What? Did I say that?

Me said:
I've created Sooooo many things right now :(

Like 4 hours of Pure Terraining :(

EDIT: Recalculated, 2:30 Hours of Pure Terraining.

Soooooo, you mean this ah?
I Started working on from 2 GMT, Today. THIS isn't against the rules.

@A Void: I understand your point of Logic.
However, There the Problem Goes:

Rules said:
"Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest."

A Void said:
So let's say I made a map, imported bunch of models and modified Object Editor then I waited until the day contest began to start working on the map. It's considered cheating because it's a pre-made map. Using pre-made maps is not allowed as a submission to the contest.

The Word "I" changes everything in simple/Advanced Logic.
UTM is a general Terraining map used only for Terraining.

But, Here you are Absolutely right:
If somebody doesn't know you can use UTM and doesn't use it while another Uses UTM and terrains faster, Yes, It's Unfair but not Against the rules.
Hmmm... Explained enough?

The Word "I" changes everything in simple/Advanced Logic.
UTM is a general Terraining map used only for Terraining.

But, Here you are Absolutely right:
If somebody doesn't know you can use UTM and doesn't use it while another Uses UTM and terrains faster, Yes, It's Unfair but not Against the rules.
Hmmm... Explained enough?

That means that the map you submit to the contest cannot be started/made before the actual launch of the contest. Your map is an edited version of UTM that was made before the actual contest started, that is not allowed.

Unless a moderator changes the contest rules, it should not be allowed.

I made a mistake when I started creating my map entry before contest (unknowingly), thus I had to redo everything from scratch on a new map.

We cannot check the "created on" field of Windows to see if you have created your map before the contest's start.
UTM is a generally used map due to its vast amount of already imported resources and it has never been forbidden in mapping contests.
So no, it's not against the rules.

We're not gonna check the creation date of a file to see if somebody's cheated, we'll just have to trust them.

We cannot check the "created on" field of Windows to see if you have created your map before the contest's start.
UTM is a generally used map due to its vast amount of already imported resources and it has never been forbidden in mapping contests.

We're not gonna check the creation date of a file to see if somebody's cheated, we'll just have to trust them.

The change the rules, add some exception or sth. Right now it's unclear if that is allowed.

Level 10

My 2 cents are this: I don't use the UTM and the contest hasn't forced contestants to use it. Therefore my map cannot be compared to any entry using the UTM because I would be at a huge disadvantage.

I want to keep this short, but if you need an explanation: The UTM contains hundreds of imported assets which equates to dozens of man hours. Essentially, by using the UTM you are put ahead by that many hours, have access to a greater asset library from the start, and have started the contest before it begun (you may started mapping exactly when the contest begun but you immediately had that extensive library advantage).

Honestly, I don't care whether or not the UTM is used, but I fear there will be a bias in the aesthetics and polish sections towards entries that do. I definitely wouldn't ask people to restart their maps if they did use it, regardless.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Yes, it's Gardon Bloodclaw himself.
Since this contest is peaceful, he won't make a glorious return, but a nice appearance.

Also, that Sword conflicts with the Peaceful theme :D
Don't blame me for the model's faults. He won't use it. This one time.

And Rotating rocks won't hurt :D
Hm... I hoped they'd fall one someone to cause a "sudden kill" that "no one could've expected" so I can kinda trick the peace theme... Nevermind.

That'll most likely be my only WIP, btw.

Level 10
That is not peaceful at all. If only you had an idea what it's like working as a miner. Trust me, you don't want to know...

Why did I know somebody would point that out...
Regardless, my perspective is more from the game design of things where going mining is peaceful (compared to preparing assassinations, grinding for gear, raiding dungeons, defeating bosses, fighting other players... etc.). I took that concept and ran with it. It's going to be as real of a mining simulator as Minecraft, which is to say "dig stone, get gems".

Status
Not open for further replies.