• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #1 - Hero Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Just tried some of of the maps of my adversaries :):

@Midnighters & Azurot, the terrain was epic, really wel done.

@Spencenator & Uzumaki.Minato, awesome idea and gameplay was good. I really want to make something like that myself, but than with Tyrian style weapons and ships or with Dragons and Aviaks/Gryphons. I also liked how you did the picture look-like grassy background.

@Gideon A.I. & RotundSphere: was very simple but I liked it, would be cool if you lads expand and polish it.

Level 2
@Gideon A.I. & RotundSphere: was very simple but I liked it, would be cool if you lads expand and polish it.

Yeah, we might work on it more, and if we do we hope it'll shape up into a great game once it's finished :)

Level 18
The MiscData.txt file that Kingz had screwed up lots of the terrain editing that took me hours to do. I want to post a few screen-shots of how it was going to look (and will, once me and Kingz finish it up and release it on Hive Workshop).

Level 18
thats badass, Did u only use hill editor?

I used raise/lower terrain but I must have went through every single square tile over 5 times; it took me almost 8 hours to make this, I placed everything (doodads, trees, rocks) individually and made sure that all the variations were perfect.

The rocks are placed instead of Warcraft III cliffs, using the PathMapper to ensure the rocks are not walkable.

, can't you replace that file through a mpq editor with an other one (like from an backup map maybe)?

I still have a backup; and yes I could. The contest is over now though but you can be sure that when me and Kingz release this it'll be good :p

Level 2
, that would be awesome, I see potential in your map :), maybe I can help you guys a bit if you want

Cool. We can always use an extra hand. If you're interested you can PM me to tell me what you would want to work on in the map.

Level 17
By the way, since there were 10 maps and mapping judging is usually a painfully slow process, would you guys be okay with this just being poll-based? So you don't have to wait months for the results?

There are 11 maps (quoted from -Kobas- page 9 on this thread):

-Final List-
Team Members Map Name
ragingspeedhorn & TriggerHappy Test Subject Survival
Aeroblyctos & Kitabatake Path of Blood
Xiliger & acdestinydream Monster Madness
-Kobas- & Septimus Shockwave
Gideon A.I. & RotundSphere E x t e r m i n a t u s
Kingz & Berb Beach Brawl
Midnighters & Azurot Vengeance of the Land
Spencenator & Uzumaki.Minato Aerial Attack
Marcelo Hossomi & Laiev Sunken Battle
MistAssass & o0madaraa0o HEX
[K40$]-Spectre & Hellwooker Lycantrophy: Grayworld

Level 17
Haha i was expecting this from kingz, and every contest? wow ur funny didnt know 2 was every contest hive has had since i started this account. I have played wc3 since 2003. I have seen the very first custom games made... I know a good game when i see it. Some of the best people to judge a GAME are people who've played the game for many years and know the appeal and their workings. BUT if you insist on not wanting me to judge then i wont. I was always one who liked to please the people, and if the people dont want me to judge then okay i will no longer ask to judge.

Just because you have played the game for that amount of time does not mean you have the ability to judge. We want someone trust worthy, and someone that is accepted by the moderator. I have been playing War3 since approx 05, and haven't judged a mapping contest, I would have this time if I had not been in it.

And judging a map is not all about the gameplay and appeal, you have to dig in the maps, and look at all aspects.

Level 17
There is no one who is really "Trust worthy" there are people who have been trusted by for years by their community then go to jail for robbing a store. To be really "Trust Worthy" is too lose the ability to think negatively.

And when i test maps i dont just go over the general gameplay. I look at every corner of the map, Every pixel. I will dissect the map. I will look to see why it does certain things and how does it correspond with the map, does the terrain agree with the map, Does the story match the map and the units. Was it a map the creator enjoyed, or was it a map created by impulse. A map with imagination, Not something ive seen in maps regularly, something new that ive never seen before. Something that changes my thinking on how i make my maps. That is a my definition of a good map. Any game, actually.

Level 17
Well, the real odds of you seeing much of anything new anymore is slim to none since most everything has been made by atleast one person at some time.
, but not impossible. There's always something that hasn't be done and there always will be, even tiny changes can completely make something unique. Anyways I agree with Kingz about not Polls only and I prefer what Debode said about only judges.

Level 9
Judging criteria should be based around the fun factor (0 - 5 points), creativity (0 - 5 points) and Aesthetics (0 - 5 points), resulting in a max score of 15 from the judge. While usually judging the coding would also be of importance, for a minigame contest I feel that it isn't nescesary. If your map during the short game time actually starts lagging it will affect the level of enjoyment, and therefor automaticly bring the fun factor down and by that your amount of points in that category.[/INDENT]

I don't know about you guys but I'm fine with a judge that knows the game and has experience with different type of game-play because judging in this isn't based on codding or so ... its about the fun factor of the game ... well its up to you guys ... i do not want to point at certain people and tell them they can judge or not ... (I'm not saying that InfinateAnswers or other people should or shouldn't judge this)

About the pole based contest ... i do not think its a good idea ... because friends vote for friends and the other lot votes for the most well known user ... just my humble opinion ...

As i stated already ... its up to you how this will end up judged but i want to see the results as soon as possible ... Thank You !
~MA

Status
Not open for further replies.