• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warden #42

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Hosted Project Forum

warden-glow-2-gif.277539
warden-title-png.169522
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
ruler-2-png.249639

-Main Features-
267_1.png
Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
101_1.png
Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
98_1.png
Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
293_1.png
Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

counterwardenthread-png.269474
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
Level 1
Warcraft 3 represents a sort of eternal cycle for me - it had a profound effect upon my formative, early years. It's a game I constantly return to, even after all of the stains of time, due to it's apparent timelessness. I can say with quite a bit of confidence, that this is one of the best custom campaigns that I have ever had the grace to play. There's quite a few I have enjoyed, but I would have to say that yours is easily the most unique, greatly surpassing my previous favorite campaign of, "The Adventures of Rowan the Wise. "I was amusingly upset when the game cut off once I entered the portal. Things were getting serious!

A minor caveat, however. I noticed that the final boss of the forest dungeon could be killed before it even attacks. If you attack it while it's spawning, it appears as though it will take damage. This was absurdly anti-climatic, since I was down to just a single life (I resolved to simply respawn and try to kill the demon hunter instantly out of frustration, because I'm a moron!)

Sort of an idle thought, but it'd be interesting if Shalis had demon hunter foot trails while she's murdering the druids in the den. That was honestly one of the most incredible moments in a game - reminding me of that moment in Metal Gear Rising where you're forced to kill a group of people after Sam's taunts. It made sense that it was a trivial battle - Shalis was a seasoned warden, hellbent on her mission, akin to Maiev, while the Druids seemed to be largely powerless in comparison to her. It really captured the essence of how the Wardens were portrayed in Warcraft, IMO.

Level 26
Thank you, I really appreciate your comment.
All the bosses are going to be revisisted eventually. I added this issue to my list.

I'm glad you liked the druid fight! It is the worst bossfight in terms of fun factor and trickyness, but it plays such an important part in the story.
Actually, I have been planning to modify the story a bit here, and that would fit having demonic footprints (if I can do that).

The druids are supposed to be really strong guardians of the glade, and no normal night elf (or many other creatures for that matter) can easily kill them. However, Shalis has carried out the unholy deed of claiming the soul crystal, temporarily empowering her greatly, allowing her to fight and kill four ancient druids on her own.

The progress on the maps that are supposed to be beyond the portal is slow. I have been working and havin' summer fun. THe pace might be picked up towards autumn again. Here are some screenies of the progress: Chapter 2: Into the Void

Would you mind rating it aswell? :)

Level 1
The fae forest looks as though it can be exceptionally promising, it captures the sort of mystic aesthetic that Crystalsong Forest and the Oculus had. It provides a bit of a contrast. If you ever need someone to sing your praises though, I can do that! I really did adore this campaign more than I can properly articulate at the moment.

Level 4
My review for the Grand Review Exchange

I would like to start with the puzzles... I have never really been a fan of puzzles and I wasn't here either :( - alas this is on me and not the game; I would say that I enjoy "skyrim level" puzzles at the most - and this game makes you think a lot more. There are really a lot of different puzzles here though and it is admirable to the level of care into putting the game together.

Combat is kind of interesting at first; but after a while there isn't much for you to do other than the standard abilities and makes it hard to play too long.

As with most people I believe, the music is enjoyable.

The terrain is obviously something that was a big part in the mapmakers criteria and shows!

Moving around is okay, what you would expect for warcraft 3 in this format :) - though I wish I could skip the walking simulator parts

It is hard for me to sit down and read the story and care about it - I know I am playing a campaign and that is what is expected of me to do, but there is a lot of "text" :( - it makes me want to read a book I would enjoy instead :D

The game is definitely different than anything I have played before and took my interest for a good amount of time considering I don't really like campaigns.

Last edited:
Level 26
Which puzzles was the best and the worst according to you?

Combat is kind of interesting at first; but after a while there isn't much for you to do other than the standard abilities and makes it hard to play too long.
I agree. Hopefully, I will be able to improve on this with my coming updates.
though I wish I could skip the walking simulator parts
Hmm, what do you mean?

Too bad about the story. I can understand it is not for everyone. :/

Thanks for your thoughts! :)
How far did you make it through the campaign?

Level 1
That sounds strange. Where are you stuck exactly?
Right after the map loads, cannot move any further. (that's in the Ice trolls map)
Toady i've noticed another glitch. I have saved before the map transition (Forest => Ice trolls map) and after i load the save i can't proceed further because the map doesn't change.

Last edited:
Level 26
That is strange. I will look into it!

Sorry for the inconvenience. In the meantime, to continue:
Enter "icecream" as a chat message. That gives you all rewards for the level, and moves you back to straglade.

Did something like that happen in Solen' Sanctuary (the fire map)? Or any otehr issues in it?

Level 1
After talking with trolls (for first time) and entering the northern path, I was transisted to an snow themed map. But my character wasn't able to walk or run. She stays on the starting point of the map. I tried dashing, attacking and stunning, but she's still trapped there.

Level 1
That is strange. I will look into it!

Sorry for the inconvenience. In the meantime, to continue:
Enter "icecream" as a chat message. That gives you all rewards for the level, and moves you back to straglade.

Did something like that happen in Solen' Sanctuary (the fire map)? Or any otehr issues in it?
Nothing like that, thanks for the code!
EDIT: Unfortunately, as i've stated before, i cannot transition to the ice trolls level. This bug occured after i loaded a quicksave.

Level 26
Updated the map. There was a simple movement trigger issue. Don't know how I could have missed it before, but it is resolved now. :)
Toady i've noticed another glitch. I have saved before the map transition (Forest => Ice trolls map) and after i load the save i can't proceed further because the map doesn't change.
Unfortunately, as i've stated before, i cannot transition to the ice trolls level. This bug occured after i loaded a quicksave.
What do you mean by "the map doesn't change"?
I don't quite understand what you mean in those two quotes. Can you elaborate? :)

Level 11
Updated the map. There was a simple movement trigger issue. Don't know how I could have missed it before, but it is resolved now. :)

What do you mean by "the map doesn't change"?
I don't quite understand what you mean in those two quotes. Can you elaborate? :)
I think they mean that the ice trolls map don't start when they load their saved game. ;)

Level 1
Lightning in the druid cave seems to be broken in some parts of the location.bug2.png bug1.png
You can exploit through the part in the forest temple where your movement is altered by using mouse rather than arrow keys.
After you complete forest temple and transition to the hub the music volume sets to 100%

Level 26
The lightning ddoes that becuase of your graphics settings. Maybe I should add a text message warning you about that.
You can exploit through the part in the forest temple where your movement is altered by using mouse rather than arrow keys.
Oh damn, that's true... :D
Hmm, I'll see if I can come up with a proper fix for this.
After you complete forest temple and transition to the hub the music volume sets to 100%
Could you readjust it, or was it stuck at 100%?

Level 1
The lightning ddoes that becuase of your graphics settings. Maybe I should add a text message warning you about that.

Oh damn, that's true... :D
Hmm, I'll see if I can come up with a proper fix for this.

Could you readjust it, or was it stuck at 100%?
The bug doesn't readjust the volume meter in the settings, its just like the music is always at 100% and it doesn't take the settings % into its consideration when the game desides at what volume the music should play. Hopefully it explains it. I don't know how does the system work so that's my best guess. :cwink:

Last edited:
Level 1
Hmm, I will see if I can do something about the music.
Oh, so you completed the forest temple aswell? You finished it? :)
Oh yes, i've completed the entire campaign. I must say, it was quite an authentic experience, thank you very much for creating such campaign!
Edit: I wanted to separately mention the high elves stoner skit, laughed my ass off because did not expect that at all :D

Last edited:
Level 1
Is the Campaigns folder in the same level of Maps folder? In /Users/<your profile>/Library/Application Support/, I only found Blizzard/Hearthstone.

Level 1
Ah, seems like a friendly mod helped you out already. :)
Did PurgeandFire's solution work?
My entire Warcraft III folder is in Application folder. I found Maps folder in it, and I put some .w3x files there, they work fine. I'm guessing that the Campaigns folder should be in the same folder where Maps folder is. Thus, I create a Campaigns folder there and put some .w3n files. But it didn't work out. I'm desperate.

Level 1
Good thinking. However, you should add it one level up, like this:
db7bcc8d36e9ecb01f18df285f7f9aa2.png

So not in the maps folder, but the same folder that maps is in.

That should do it. Hopefully.

Sadly, that's exactly where I put, the same folder where Maps is in. Is that a picture of Windows version? Cos I'm playing on a macbook.

Level 3
Hey. I wrote a lengthy and in-depth review of the first map but my computer shut down and I lost the whole text, so I'll make it short.

• There's a bunch of spelling/grammar mistakes in many of the dialogues from the beggining to the end of the first map. (I haven't played the other maps yet). Check out the spell checker at resources/tools.
  • CTRL + C deactivates arrow key movement. After unlocking the camera, it cannot be locked again. It is very uncomfortable to play in this way, since there is no path-finding AI. You can easily solve this by setting up a trigger (at the beginning of every map) that locks camera to our sexy Warden every 0.25 seconds. This breaks the movement a little for the rest of the map. It will reset normally at the start of every map, as scripted.
  • Honestly I think superior creatures such as the night elves would have a rather elaborate speech (take the blizzard campaigns as reference). However I understand your limits as a person in this aspect.
Other than that, amazing work, good sir!

Level 26
Glad you enjoyed it!
  • Honestly I think superior creatures such as the night elves would have a rather elaborate speech (take the blizzard campaigns as reference). However I understand your limits as a person in this aspect.
Not sure what you mean here? Are they speaking too "basically"?
There's a bunch of spelling/grammar mistakes in many of the dialogues from the beggining to the end of the first map. (I haven't played the other maps yet). Check out the spell checker at resources/tools.
As long as it is mostly understandable, I'm happy with it. Maybe some day I will go back and try to correct old mistakes, but it is a pain to do so.

Just don't unlock the camera then! :D
No, I understand. I might add the trigger you suggested. :)

How far / how many maps did you play?

Thanks for the review! Mind leaving a rating aswell? :)

Level 3
Glad you enjoyed it!Not sure what you mean here? Are they speaking too "basically"? :)
Yup, that's pretty much all there is to it.
As long as it is mostly understandable, I'm happy with it. Maybe some day I will go back and try to correct old mistakes, but it is a pain to do so.

Just don't unlock the camera then! :D
No, I understand. I might add the trigger you suggested. :)

How far / how many maps did you play?

Thanks for the review! Mind leaving a rating aswell? :)

For the record, I know first hand how much of a pain in the bum it is to correct grammar on your maps, so I understand that you might not want to go do it right now. I personally do feel the need to get it right though :p. I will make sure to leave a rating once I get to the end.