• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warden #42

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Hosted Project Forum

warden-glow-2-gif.277539
warden-title-png.169522
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
ruler-2-png.249639

-Main Features-
267_1.png
Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
101_1.png
Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
98_1.png
Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
293_1.png
Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

counterwardenthread-png.269474
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
Level 4
Played the map for a while, gotta say, it is actually good. Movement is a bit tricky, but it is, simply, satisfying.
The campaign has to offer everything there is to be enjoyed:
- Slightly stronger challenges each level,
- Perma-empowering runes that scale up Warden,
- Little mini-games that are fairly easy to solve.

The level where you fight kobolds and then play around with the bridges is a bit confusing, also it has bugged terrain that lets you leave the normal map boundaries (around the place with the bonus gold at the top of the map), but probably I played really early version :/
Thank you for the content, this is exactly why Warcraft 3 is amazing - because of the developers such as yourself.

Level 26
Thanks, really appreciated you let me know you like it!

Yeah, the kobold level is far from perfect. It won't be updated now though, since I have new levels in progress that will completely replace the old maps, keeping only the good stuff, and adding tons of new things.
Keep an eye out for new updates coming!

If you want to, please rate it by clicking the stars! :)

Level 1
Been having a bug with the controls for the campaign. In the tutorial and the first dungeon (when you fall into the desert temple) the actions don't work. I can move around fine, but pressing q,w, or e doesn't do anything, and z does not bring up the menu. Tried moving in the opening area of map one (the bit in Starglade), and all the abilities and hotkeys worked fine there. tried reinstalling the campaign, and my game even just to see if that'd work. Other campaigns have been working fine, so I don't think its on that end. I am on the latest version 1.31, if that matters as well.

Level 1
I'm experiencing the same issue as plaster2. Tried playing the demo but I can't attack with Q, so I get stuck trying to kill the sheep. 1.31 as well

Level 26
Thanks for letting me know!
Unfortunately, the latest patches ahs not been kind to this game. More and more previously unencountered bugs have been turning up out of nowhere. :/

I won't spend time fixing them right now, because I'm creating a new version of the game from the ground up, keeping the main features, polishing them even further, and updating everything else.

Level 1
hi! i was wondering if i should give this a go now or wait for the reworks you mentioned to roll out. is the new thing that youre working on going to include the story from this campaign? i gave it a try just now but im afraid im suffering that tutorial hotkey bug some others have mentioned. Just wondering if youd recommend me to install an earlier patch of w3 to play this or if id be better off just waiting for the reworked version. Happy to do either or both honestly, whatever you think would be the "definitive experience".

Thanks, I'm super excited to give this a go!

Level 26
I appreciate the enthusiasm! :)
Well, things are changing so much with wc3 now, so all the things I do become outdated really fast, so a new solid update will take some time.
Sadly, also because of those updates the old version is becoming more and more bugged.

I'm currently working on the update, but I really can't tell when it will be ready for release.
I'd recommend waiting to play it actually, and since you have left a comment on this thread, you should be notified when I update it. :)

Level 26
Hello!
Here is a beta test of a boss fight using the new system.

I'd love feedback on all kind of things, but what I'm most interested in is how you think the controls feel.
Hope you like it!

Note: the terrain is temporary.

Screenshot:
WC3ScrnShot_071419_155812_01.png

Attachments

• Warden 2019 7.w3x
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Level 2
Sorry about that, unfortunately the recent patches has really screwed with this mod. :|
I might replace this campaign with a short playable beta of my updated version soon.
Thanks :D hoping to see that new map soon :D i really wanted to play because of the controls that you made :D

Level 5
This is astounding! I highly recommend this to any warcraft gamers. This is what we call ART nowadays. I find the story fascinating. Good job! 5/5!

Level 26
There are no custom keys options implemented in the game right now, unfortunately.
If you are playing on reforged beta they have options to change the keys, but due to it's beta state I wouldn't recommend playing the campaign in reforged at all right now.

There are other options to rebind your keys though, I found a lot of ideas on how to do that by googling "rebind keyboard keys". :)

Level 3
About the cross puzzle and words of power.. Cross puzzle i need the master code and power of words i need answer..

Level 26
In the cross puzzle, I can only reccomend that you arrange and move the tiles in groups of 4 in order to solve the puzzle. This is quite hard, but possible!

With the words of power you just need to check the library for what the words are called. Then stand on top of the runes corresponding to the words, hit enter, and enter the words.

There are more elaborate walkthroughs on this as well, you can find them here:
Walkthroughs
Walkthroughs

Level 1
I really want to play this map but as some people sayd before me controls just does not works :(
That's really sad, i hope you can fix it :)
Good job on the map looks great but sadly i can't play it.

And i have one question
as i undestand that's because of new patches so in the older versions of wc3 it has to work right?

Level 26
The controls are already fixed, improved even, in the new version, but it also meant remodeling the entire game, so there's a lot of work to do. This update won't be done for some time still, sadly, but there will be test version available soon after reforged, I hope! :)
And i have one question
as i undestand that's because of new patches so in the older versions of wc3 it has to work right?
Yeah, I think it should!

Level 1
Great map, but in the tutorial map the attack button (Q) somehow isn't working for me. Can't attack that sheep. I briefly looked into the main campaign and there the attack works for me without a problem.

Level 6
Hey there, it works with 1.27b, i have been playing it and i've got to say you've done an amazing work, the hack n slash is surprisingly good, at first i was sceptical about it but i quickly adapted and found it to be very fun, difficulty is kinda hardcore even though the campaign description reads "fairly easy", but that's a plus for me because i personally like games being hard, one part i would modify though is that one where you're walking on a slippery surface trying to avoid falling to the spikes, i think you went a little too sadistic with difficulty in that part and i actually stopped playing there because i lost all my lives, i'd say it's as hard as the platforming in the NES megaman games lolol, but awesome game nonetheless, i give you a 5/5 for creativity & fun factor.

Level 26
Haha, yeah I guess I went a bit berserk with the slippery ice spikes... :D
"Fairly easy" I realize is a very subjective description of the difficulty: Since I've playtested it a few hundred times, of course it's gonna be fairly easy for me, but not for everyone else.
Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Level 24
Would you mind elaborating what you didn't like about it? :)
It might help me develop it in a better way in the future!
I just passed the tutorial, the first map bored me fast, because there are much text (an is the double to difficult to me because I don't speak English well) and I hardly know what to do, there are a huge moments when I am not doing anything, even if you told me it gets better later it would not compensate me for so much downtime and a lot of text (that if at least it were with cinematics I would not be so bored), I think these things are common in RPG, so I ask if this is because I don't like RPGs.

Edit: That you know, I am not saying that it is wrong to put text or that this is a lot, I say that at least make it fun to read, how? Introduce me to the characters, if you do not want that and you only want to start giving context, do short the presentation, as I said, it is not a bad thing to do a long text, but never do it at the beginning of any work, the beginning is supposed to hook whoever consumes the product, if you put that in addition to a lot of dead time, well, how do you want get me hooked?

Last edited:
Level 26
Thanks for the feedback!
What you are saying makes a lot of sense, I agree. In later version I've tried the approach that I've found in many single player games: The player have to figure out what to do themselves.

Although, it seems unlikely I will give out a new version any time soon, as I'm not very into wc3 at the moment. Damned reforged messed everything up :(

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I just passed the tutorial, the first map bored me fast, because there are much text (an is the double to difficult to me because I don't speak English well) and I hardly know what to do, there are a huge moments when I am not doing anything, even if you told me it gets better later it would not compensate me for so much downtime and a lot of text (that if at least it were with cinematics I would not be so bored), I think these things are common in RPG, so I ask if this is because I don't like RPGs.
Then why do you rate things you don't understand or even care for? If you don't like RPGs why did you start playing this, so you could rate it unfairly?
as I said, it is not a bad thing to do a long text, but never do it at the beginning of any work, the beginning is supposed to hook whoever consumes the product
You are just being impatient.

Level 24
Then why do you rate things you don't understand or even care for? If you don't like RPGs why did you start playing this, so you could rate it unfairly?
I wanna get into the works of the people of this forum, but the majority are RPG, so I tried to give it the oportunity to this maps and although I don't like the genre there are RPGs that I liked, also "You don't understand or even care for" I don't understand what?, If you said that because I didn't end the map, thats not an excuse, thats is like say "You can't critize One Piece if you don't see the almost THOUSAND episodes", if you said that because "Its not for me" that's not an excuse either, do you think that parents cannot criticize what their children consume because they are not for them?, with all my respect I don't care if you consider it unfairly but I have my reasons for do that.
You are just being impatient.
Literally you can excuse all work with that, I don't know about how the map will develop, I don't know the creator or other of his works, what reasons do I have to believe that it will be better later?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
"You can't critize One Piece if you don't see the almost HUNDRED episodes"
You basically did not even see the first episode in this context.
with all my respect I don't care if you consider it unfairly but I have my reasons for do that.
They're reasons but based on likes not on actual criticism.
Literally you can excuse all work with that
No my friend, you are the one throwing excuses for not playing and rating poorly.

Level 24
You basically did not even see the first episode in this context.
As I said, don't end the map does not forbid me to criticize it.
They're reasons but based on likes not on actual criticism.
I never said that my comment was objective, but at least I said why I did not like it, and believe me, if it was only for what I liked, I would have given it a lower rating.
No my friend, you are the one throwing excuses for not playing and rating poorly.
At least I have an excuse, its simple, if I didn't like it and I'm not sure it will be better why I should continue?

And being honest, I understand rate it in that form is unfair, because if this practice will become common, everybody can downvote every work, I this case I made it for get attention (That does not mean that I do not believe that it does not deserve the score that I gave it) and say to the creator and someone else what I think they have to consider when create a map.

Level 24
Ok, I bothered play it more (not finished yet), I must admit that I liked it more than I expected, although I enjoyed more the puzzles than the battles because (although the concept is good) they are or too easy or to hard and the bosses are defeated just by dying, reviving, spaming, repeat, reviving in the same place you died instead of using checkpoints its not a good idea.

Do I regret what I said before? No. I still think the begging its not hooking and probably I won't play the map if it weren't for what the people say of this map or said me, also there are moments I have to guess where I have to go, about you tell the story I don't have much problem anymore because I already started to get interested in the game and I saw the dialogues become shorter but I still think it would be better in cinematics.

I'm not done yet, but I wanted to say this.

Level 26
Thanks for continuing providing feedback!
Yeah, the boss fights are not good in that way. There need to be at least some punishment for dying to make it interesting. I like how dark souls did this: When you die, you have to run back to the boss from your latest checkpoint.
I definitely think it is important to hook people right away in a game, so in future version I think I will present the difficulty and the core concepts of the game (such as puzzles and boss fights) much earlier than I did before.

Level 24
Thanks for continuing providing feedback!
Yeah, the boss fights are not good in that way. There need to be at least some punishment for dying to make it interesting. I like how dark souls did this: When you die, you have to run back to the boss from your latest checkpoint.
I definitely think it is important to hook people right away in a game, so in future version I think I will present the difficulty and the core concepts of the game (such as puzzles and boss fights) much earlier than I did before.
Yeah, I think the tutorial must be part of the story to make the people get hooked in that from the beginning.

Level 5
Oh dear author, I really like your campaign, I even got the master mode level 3 from the desert level, but once I finish the map, it kicks me to the menu, any idea how to fix this?
I'm playing the 1.24e version btw

Level 26
I'm glad you liked what you could play now, but unfortunately I don't know how to fix your problem. :|
I haven't been active much lately and I'm not currently working on any fixes for this version. Since reforged came out I've been forced to rebuild it almost from scratch, so that is my current project (although progressing slow).

Level 6
Hey Rufus, i dug a 1.27b copy of the game just to play this for the 2nd time, and i liked it even better than the first time, it's good that you listen to feedback and want to keep improving it, but if i was you i wouldn't change things THAT much, the way it is right now provides good entertainment and seem well polished to me, if some people aren't patient enough to read some text or find out what to do next, then that's their problem, take Dark Souls as an example, you are introduced to the lore of the game at the very beginning, and the game doesn't really explain itself after the tutorial, yet it's regarded as one of the best-of-all-time in the genre.

Instead of spending your time changing things up, i'd just finish the second part, hell i'd even forget about porting it to reforged and just focus on adding more content, Warcraft 3 is already a niche game anyway, and people like myself interested on custom content usually have older versions of the game, plus Blizzard seems to have forgotten about custom campaigns, yet another reason not to touch reforged, IMHO.

Level 24
I will admit I exaggerated a bit with the introduction, re-reading it wasn't too bored, but yes, I would eliminate the first 20 lines because they are unnecesary and confusing, the story could begin with the conversation of Shallis and Willow and would be the same, and it's not like I was complaining about doing this, my problem is HOW do that, following the example of Dark Souls, the introduction have a showy cinematic and it doesn't have half the lines of the Warden #42 intro.

Anyway the campaign is still not perfect, it looks good and the concept is great, but the combat system leaves something to be desired, at the end I just enjoied the puzzles, that were not very difficult, but in this case I am not going to ask too much because I know how difficult it is to do puzzles.