1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warden #42

Submitted by Rufus
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Hosted Project Forum [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
[​IMG]
[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-Main Features-
[​IMG] Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
[​IMG] Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
[​IMG] Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
[​IMG] Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

[​IMG]
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
  1. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Whosyourdaddy tend to mess up a lot of things, and I won't bather making things work with it.
    I should add a note however, that when you use cheats, some functions will crash and render the game unbeatable.

You shouldn't be able to summon the elemental with those four runestones. It should only be four bif ones. I will fix that.
    I will also make the books being able to be picked up, and shalis un-unselctable.

Rays of light doesn't sound too bad, but I'll see.
    I added your idea about the tropic shower though! Turned out great. :)

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe, I've written the specifics about its usage: a walk through the waves then disabled it.

3. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is great, however, those reports you are leaving!
    You should be my official game tester! :D

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The funny thing is, that I'm not doing anything special, hence me wondering why/how other people who play this map don't see the same thing.

5. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is good, none the less. :)

I just uploaded the nw version. Most of the issues you mentioned should be fixed now. Some of them, I couldn't recreate, and therefore not fix, but I will keep an eye out for those abnormalities.

6. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The issue I had with the library puzzle is that from a logical standpoint, there are 2 solutions while the game in actuality only accepts one.
    'Red+Greed = Yellow' is perfectly logical train of thought. However the yellow circle only activates if you use the standard box; which thanks to the lightning, appears purple-ish.
    Hence 'Blue + Red = Purple' is the correct answer, even though 'Red + Green = Yellow' seems like it could be equally as valid.

7. jedles

jedles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is this normal?

Only one path in this game but i always stuck here:
    [​IMG]

8. jedles

jedles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is that normal that i can use REWIND spel from the begining? :D (no need to open the vault)

9. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Good point!
    I changed the color of the yellow box to be more yellowish though, so that should be a little better now.

However, there is no purple box, therefore, you must combine the red and blue one to even have boxes enough for the next circle.

10. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How the hell did you get in there in the first place? :D

11. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Right!
    No it is not supposed to be like that, thanks for telling me! :)
    I'll fix this soon.

12. jedles

jedles

Resources:
    Resources:

13. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh, that is awkward...
    That is not where you are supposed to start. I made a test over there, and then forgot to move the character back to start positions again...

Thanks for Fixed now! :)

14. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hi!
    This project was hosted!
    I'm really happy about it, and want to thank you all in this thread for your support along the way. I hope you will continue to chip in feedback and other commnts. I wouldn't work on this project if it wasn't for you guys!
    THANK YOU! :D

Feel free to post new threads to discuss any project related matters. Go wild! :)
    Project Forum: Warden

15. Supernickman 32

Supernickman 32

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know it's little late and it's not working here ,but if it would. I would add #SupportWarden!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  16. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I really love this campaign! All things in this campaign is very nice, particular it's music and story and spells! Very good job, Rufus!
    I rate this campaign 5/5 for your effort!

17. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot!
    Really glad you liked it. :)

The story is not that great yet though. It can be a lot better!

18. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yes you can make it better and better! I forgot to give rating.
    Voted 5/5!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  19. Shyster

Shyster

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I've played only on normal so far. You are very good at creating puzzles and I wish there were more games that made you think like this one. That is a major highlight for me and I was impressed. I tried really hard on that cross puzzle but damn I suck at those types hahahaha...

Also I want to mention what you did with the catapult - I really enjoyed that. This campaign has a good tutorial, and that may sound funny but a lot of tutorials in games aren't that great and many have none at all. I've never personally played a game like this and when I saw the description on the front page, I was really excited because it sounded right up my alley.

I love the music, the terrain is good even though you elected not to use imports. The warcraft related lore is dead to me cause I've been around it too many years lol but the look definitely fit nicely. A lot of text needs to be proofread. That always happens in these kind of maps which I don't understand because it completely breaks immersion. The ice temple was very cool, it felt just like a zelda dungeon. Your use of images and especially the runes on the icecrown tiles was an awesome touch. I never expected anyone to use them like that.

Now, it feels like I'm playing NES in 1987 because this game is so damn hard. There's no difficulty curve at all, it just starts out kicking your ass. It feels flat out unfair, you can be killed almost instantly if you don't react perfectly. Maybe I should've started on easy, since it seems like normal is actually the hard setting. That being said, this does help you adjust/improve much more quickly.

The turn rate and small cone AoE of the warden is annoying. You think you're able to hit something but nope...it's just not intuitive enough in my opinion. This is made worse by the wait period between dash and being able to attack again. It's really hard to deal with when spamming buttons in a fast moment. The lich battle was absolutely infuriating for me. The entire screen is white because your fogs are too dense. I could hardly see any of the spells, so it was either run around helplessly for eternity or dart in close and die instantly.

As far as a suggestion maybe, I feel like there are times where you're fighting monsters for no gain, only to lose HP and die on something that actually matters. In zelda four swords adventures you'd reset your cash after each level. That was a temporary objective for each stage that would help you get stronger, similar to the health regen upgrade. That was appreciated to be sure. Unfortunately that is a passive effect (aka limited amount of interesting interaction) so something more active would've been nice.

Again, I love the Zelda influence (like the Lost Woods and Forest Temple, that was priceless) and you have done a good job executing that. It's something I always wanted to do when I was little.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  20. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very nice to read your review Shyster!
    Don't worry, I only know two people having been able to beat that puzzle, and I am one of them... :D
    I'm glad you appreciated it anyway! Making puzzles for this project is by far the funniest thing to do with the project!

It is good that you found the catapult tutorial clear and helpful!
    I think that actually a lot of people are having problems with those maps because they lack information on how to play. Unless you play the tutorial, you might not be able to come very far at all.

Feel free to report all spelling mistakes you find!
    It feels like I gain temporary dyslexia when creating those maps... :D
    I agree.
    I think it is too hard to start with, and I'm not quite sure how to solve this.
    Perhaps I should just add a recommended playing order of the maps, and add a few easier ones before Solen's Sanctuary.
    I'm always working on making this system as non-sluggish as possible.
    It is not quite perfect yet, but I think it works at least. I should perhaps ask a real coder to take a look at the triggers, and try to make them more efficent and less sluggish.
    The lich battle can be updated to have less fog. :)
    I have had a few ideas about this, but none of them really turned out great.
    In future maps there might come rewards for monsters, or perhaps simply make them impossible to pass, so that you have to kill them in order to get a room key or something.
    Thanks a lot!
    I love zelda too. Especially the music. :)

Thanks a lot for taking your time and write down your thoughts!
    It is very appreciated and helpful. :)