1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warden #42

Submitted by Rufus
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Hosted Project Forum [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
[​IMG]
[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-Main Features-
[​IMG] Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
[​IMG] Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
[​IMG] Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
[​IMG] Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

[​IMG]
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
  1. Shyster

Shyster

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hey there, thanks for replying to everything! Since I'm apparently never going to bed I'll add a few more things...

I'll have you know I tried for half an hour lol...my brain doesn't process "break it in order to finish it" very well. I got about halfway though. That's the point where it just starts getting ridiculous

As for the catapult, that's obviously not a difficult mechanic to add to a game but that's just it. It's simple and it gets you thinking "Ooh, what all can I do with this new toy?" More of that! That's why I think some kind of permanent items would be fun too. That'd also be a lot of work lmfao so that's just me thinking out loud.

I started from the top and went in descending order. The tutorial is good, it's more that the first place you go to just wrecks you unless you adapt immediately. There needs to be a map in between that strikes a balance between putting you in a thought provoking situation but also not overwhelming. Situations where you have to adapt like you already have, but allow more time for the player to do so without being punished.

I like the way you demonstrated how to fight different enemies. As soon as I saw you write how each enemy is different it reminded me of zelda and the first final fantasy where you literally don't know anything about them until they hit you. That was awesome and refreshing. Wish more games were like that because it makes them more memorable and exciting.

Ah, hadn't thought of that. Keys are a fun mini progression tool, especially if you have to choose between doors, etc. and might give you an excuse to come up with some treasure (insert boomerang here) if you wanted to put that kind of time into it. That sounds like fun

2. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You obviousy have the same way of thinking as I have about this campaign, which is very good. Awesome. :D
    Yes!
    I should start working on that right now. I might go for a small peaceful forest like the kokiri village.
    My idea was to unlock new skills over time.
    I have a demo of future abilities. Here it is: Bug Hunting and Opinions!
    I'd be glad to see what you think about them!
    I thought it was important not to just have the standard combat system that warcraft normally have, and that did not just include not having the regular movement and attack system. :)
    Although, I would like to have a theme for each enemy.
    When you see an enemy that have the same ability as another enemy you saw in another map, it should also look alike. That is not the case right now, as dark depths contains many enemies with the same enemies with new models. It would help having the same theme of enemies in all maps, but that might also destroy the theme of a map.
    I'm not sure what to do about that yet.
    Sorry, but if you think you got halfways, you probably didn't get halfways... :D
    Feel free to contribute!
    I like this aswell, since you have a lot of possibilities with this kind of object.
    I have like ten more concepts where I will use catapults so far, three of them being in tropic tomb. You might really enjoy that one! :)
    I will use the owls and blades again in the future too, and other traps that reappears.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. Shyster

Shyster

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's too bad there isn't like...a single good model of Link ever made :p (which I don't understand at all), if you were driving a Zelda project I would ask to be part of it in a second.

I need to get around to playing the other maps, can't remember where I was in the Forest Temple. I downloaded that link so I'll get to that at some point too.

Well, you could just say screw it and use the same models repeatedly. Personally I value consistency very high in game design. Think how everyone knows a Granite Golem is really tough and immune to magic -- using the same model doesn't always match the theme of the dungeon perfectly, but if you pick good ones then, like in Zelda they pretty much can go anywhere. In ocarina of time, you encounter Stalfos in the Forest, Shadow or Spirit temples, the same enemy but fits thematically in all three dungeons.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

4. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It could have been awesome to be able to recognize stufff drom the series, but yeah, I doubt any good link models will come up.

Yes, exactly. I am about to go with a general skeletal theme, as it fits most dungeons. Golems and other magical beasts could fit in many places too. I will only make minor changees such as tinting colour so that the units fits to the specific map (like blueish on Bonechiller Burrow and redish on Solen's Sanctuary). Dark depths might have to be an exception though.

Please do! Don't forget to rate it afterwards too! :)

5. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The presentaion(description) is very nice! I like it.

6. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot!
    I just updated it to be a little more color thematic and more compact. :)

7. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You are a great campaign maker! I play this campaign every day.

8. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh really? Glad to hear it!
    Which map is your favorite? It can be useful to know so that I can go with similiar themes in the future. :)

9. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I liked Forest Temple and Dark Depths! Other is nice too.

10. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Huh, you're the first one to say Dark Depths!
    Forest temple is my #2, but Bonechiller Burrow is my favorite. :)

Could you go ahead and vote here: Poll: Best Project Map?
    I wanna get the forum started. :)

11. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yes, Bonechiller Burrow is better than Dark Depths, but I like Dark Depths more of Bonechiller Burrow.
    I will vote on that forum!

12. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks!
    Feel free to post more feedback if you have any! :)

13. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Ok! Continue making campaigns, mate.
    Good luck!

14. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I played the maps and I think I should change my rating in this forum: Poll: Best Project Map?. Bonechiller Burrow is the best and I will vote to it!

15. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Haha great! :D

16. Shyster

Shyster

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Gave it a quick spin today. Did you plan on using all of those abilities in a single map? I think that was the biggest issue for me, since everything hit so hard I never felt like I had a chance to get good at timing my stuns, etc. Maybe setting out a bit more time to use each skill individually (skippable) for those like me who haven't played this type of map before.

I had a cool idea about the hookshot. Depending on how you want to evolve these maps you could create a third-person angle for the hookshot. Then a couple buttons while in hookshot mode to allow aiming. That'd allow for a lot more 3D zelda like environments. But you may not want to do that since it would likely require a lot of new maps.

I like the farore's wind skill, and the shade too. If it were me I'd say 2-3 of these max per level, with some way of knowing what tools you have ahead of time. Unless they're unlocked or something on a per map basis, but that could just be me since I've never been a fan of the qwerty hotkey system, and prefer Blizzard's system where a certain letter (ie T for Scout Tower) lands on a certain memorable emphasis in the name of the skill.

P.S. only oddity I found (and you may already be aware of this) is on elevation when casting the hookshot. The head does not keep the same height as the chain. Now if you have a solution to this I'd love to hear it because I have that kind of problem a lot myself with my project and it is very irritating lol

-§hy

17. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, all abilities will probably not be available at the same time in one map. Perhaps up to three at a time, but even then you won't be able to use them quickly after each other. I think I will do this: all the extra abilities will have the hotkey R. That means, that you will only have access to one special ability at a time. In order to use another ability, you have to switch your first extra ability for the second one. I'm not sure how this switch is going to happen yet, but I have two or three ideas.
    If I didn't answer this above, I don't quite understand what you meant here? :)
    We have similiar thinking!
    It will not be third person (because that would be nasty and interfere with the terrain when looking in different angles) but you will (might) be able to aim more carefully than just in 8 directions. I will implement an "aiming mode", so that when it is activated, you can use the left and right arrowkeys to slowly change facing angle until you look straight upon your target.
    Not sure what things you are reffering to here?
    Ah, yeah. Lightning effects are really irritating to work with.
    I unfortunately don't have a better solution than the one that is already in the test map. :/
    I can try to answer your questions about lightning effects though if you have any more! :D

18. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update:
    All maps now have an awesome warden skin (Made by @Wisdom) implemented! Looks fancy af.

Also, the objectives dialog have been removed.

19. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Amazzzzzzzzzzing!!

20. Rufus

Rufus