• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
You'd better consider that wc3 isnt all-in-one exe but rather a launcher with datasets which can as well be used as legacy holders, allowing to watch 1.21 on 1.25 or higher. Ok, forget about MASSIVE chances like pathfinding, for instance, but I can't see how changed UI/balance/natives can ever be impossible task to support by.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You'd better consider that wc3 isnt all-in-one exe but rather a launcher with datasets which can as well be used as legacy holders, allowing to watch 1.21 on 1.25 or higher. Ok, forget about MASSIVE chances like pathfinding, for instance, but I can't see how changed UI/balance/natives can ever be impossible task to support by.
I... don't get how that's a reply to me (if it indeed is).

Level 6
Well good to see they fixed all that but it looks like they still left out the "make the game fit your screen" option.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
How they did it? m i s t e r y
Same way a DVD still works. They store the frames of state into the replay, and not the player commands. Difference is likely a 10-100 times file size.
just for the record: replay contains jsut a block of bytes with game version, which doesnt affect anything. It should allow to "ffs just run it now, IDC what version it was then" option to ignore that value. Completely. But hey, let's wait till another universe heat death for it
Minor changes in game engine result in subtle state variances. The result is that old replays will go out of sync.
Well good to see they fixed all that but it looks like they still left out the "make the game fit your screen" option.
That is still a work in progress.

Reactions: pyf
Level 19
Same way a DVD still works. They store the frames of state into the replay, and not the player commands. Difference is likely a 10-100 times file size.
they also have whole story of player's input, including camera movements, and it only affects replay size, nothing else. You aint said anything.
Minor changes in game engine result in subtle state variances. The result is that old replays will go out of sync.
I dont care, just let me do that, if there will be desync - alright, but most likely there won't be any between minors

Level 6
The good thing is ever since Patch 1.29 update. Blizzard released couple of patch fixes like 1-3?(I'm not sure about the actual number) And they release them faster than 1.29 patch which was delayed. I don't understand one thing. Why they don't want to release the stretched screen and instead they give us awful black bars. Is it because they are still working to bring better widescreen or there is another issue that prevents stretched screen.

Level 20
Still can't pan the camera on the minimap in the editor, hope they'll find a fix for that.

They allow us to make bigger maps but moving camera takes forever, how sadistic was that x)

Not so much of a big deal but oh well.

Level 6
Has anyone tested the maps with bigger size how they load without optimizer? I mean download speed in battle.net and loading screen load?

Level 13
I think their bright idea to fix old maps from having neutral passive be player 16 violet and so on they made it behind the scenes be players 25-28 = players 13-16 and vise versa. so now in 1.29.1 when you save a map and use Vex's optimizer it it has the bug that old maps had now with new maps.. unreal.. lol

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
it's because of the windowed mode. I preffer this because its fast to alt tab and game is still rendered. If you want it to minimize as before add line to shirtcuts path for native fullscreen mode
Well, I don't remember any particular game doing it like that. Usually my games went down on the bar and that's what minimizing means.

Level 14
Well, I don't remember any particular game doing it like that. Usually my games went down on the bar and that's what minimizing means.
Well if you turn on windowed mode in any other game it will work like it does now in Wc3. Windowed-Fullscreen(with no window borders) is best display mode to me, alt tabs fast, normal fullscreen makes game stop rendering, pause itself sometimes and bringing it back up especially with Source running games from Valve takes aaa lot of time and may even crash it rarely if too much stuff happened that it needs to catch up with. There are other minor gains from that like fixing screencapture with using just PrtSc button(which may not work on some of the games, especially some older Need For Speed games dont work with that for me and i have to use screen capture software to do that....)

Level 23
item pathing is gone
I6KHNBz.png

Level 6
Did someone mentioned that when you're hosting and you refresh slots. The Text bar is no longer selected and you have to select it every time before you post something on lobby.

Last edited:
Level 14
I still dont get that hate for black bars.......i mean option for stretch and proper non stretched 4:3 and for having stretched menues and 16:9 ingame should be there .....but why some people hate something that is minor side effect of preserving the proportions of the screen? Something that is practicly invisible to you when you focus on the game......
Its practicly taking a square image and sizing it up sideways in MS Paint to make it rectagular....It just looks awfully out of proportion on everything....especially before we got ingame 16:9 with camera further away it was just atrocious to play in stretched 4:3...and people do it in mania to get rid of the black bars.....Do they quit watching movies with letterbox too?

Level 6
Because the black bars hurt my eyes. And requires more focus on screen at least for me. I guess haters of black bars agrees with this.

Level 6
I still dont get that hate for black bars.......i mean option for stretch and proper non stretched 4:3 and for having stretched menues and 16:9 ingame should be there .....but why some people hate something that is minor side effect of preserving the proportions of the screen? Something that is practicly invisible to you when you focus on the game......
Its practicly taking a square image and sizing it up sideways in MS Paint to make it rectagular....It just looks awfully out of proportion on everything....especially before we got ingame 16:9 with camera further away it was just atrocious to play in stretched 4:3...and people do it in mania to get rid of the black bars.....Do they quit watching movies with letterbox too?

I can not speak for others but here are my reasons why I don't hate them but do not like them.

1. They together take up half my screen. While I do not mind a tiny line once half your screen is gone it is too much.
2. Any level of unplayable field makes it harder. in a RTS stradigy game Lets say you need to quickly get a unit to a choke point so you move the mouse fast. Now you are 4 screens away and have to scroll back to find out it was all ready took by your enemy.
3. The smaller size and bigger letters means anyone can just spam words endlessly and now no one can see in game because it is in the center of the screen.
4. My eye site is bad. Smaller screen means I can't see the gui or menu giving me a massive disadvantage.
5. It was not broke but they tried to fix it with out leaving the non broke thing in just in case.

As for the hate of others. Best I can say is they are just so sick of Blizzard putting in half broke updates removing stuff that worked and only really quickly fixing something that is broke if it is a boon to players or hurts the buying of stuff in the shops. (That is mainly what I saw many many many others say/show anyway.)

Level 5
I don't mind the black bars in menu, the problem is when Multiboards and In-Game Messages appear out of place.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Level 6
255 people on channel is good improvement instead of 40. Anyone knows how long clans will last?

Level 1
This seemed to be the place which blizzard monitors the most.
1.29.1 messed up my keyboard.
So i thought id check the patch but when i updated my game , it messed up my keyboard inputs .
So now whenever i typed in lobby or ingame for example 1 , it shows 81 and so on.
Only happens with numbers.

Level 14
This seemed to be the place which blizzard monitors the most.
1.29.1 messed up my keyboard.
So i thought id check the patch but when i updated my game , it messed up my keyboard inputs .
So now whenever i typed in lobby or ingame for example 1 , it shows 81 and so on.
Only happens with numbers.
Well we should get ingame option to edit binds like......seriously every other game in existence at this point xD

Also option to make menues stretched to 16:9 while ingame is in real 16:9 would be nice, i personally would like to stick to current, 4:3 menues and 16:9 ingame so AN OPTION. Not meaning to be aggressive or anything, also it's best solution, no edits/changes or possible harm to menu anims and glue screen can come from that, it's also just easier to do....so...why not just do it?

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
it's also just easier to do....so...why not just do it?
Because it is still wrong... It is like watching a 4:3 broadcast, like Diagnosis Murder, in 16:9. Just not right.

Sure it could be an option. But that means extra work. They could rather spend that time not programming that option and instead reworking the menu to support wide screen. StarCraft II has no problem with wide screen.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
No it isn't invisible, it is probably the most visible feature in the game and makes the models and UI thiner and weirder. I don't get why they changed the screen to that, since it stayed as normal fullscreen for 16 years, and the game was created like that, everyone was used to it, no reason to change that...don't tell me that it was deproportionate because no game developers would make a game have a screen like that and maintain it for 16 years, besides that empty space in the UI is just annoying and useless.

255 people on channel is good improvement instead of 40. Anyone knows how long clans will last?
So max clan members is 255 too?
Seems kind of an absurd amount of people in a channel, not to say the amount of spam it would be in channel, no one could see the text other people type, 150 would be a reasonable amount

pyf

pyf

Level 32
No it isn't invisible, it is probably the most visible feature in the game and makes the models and UI thiner and weirder. I don't get why they changed the screen to that, since it stayed as normal fullscreen for 16 years, and the game was created like that, everyone was used to it, no reason to change that...don't tell me that it was deproportionate because no game developers would make a game have a screen like that and maintain it for 16 years, besides that empty space in the UI is just annoying and useless.
Have you ever owned a 4:3 monitor? Because Warcraft 3 was designed for them since 2002.

Before Patch 1.25b was released in 2011, no display resolution other than the 4:3 ones could be selected from within the video options of the game. This behavior was by design. Blizzard's mistake was to make this way of playing the game an official one, by unlocking the video modes other than the 4:3 ones in the Video options of the game, starting with Patch 1.25b.

For the record, it was already possible to play in 'stretched widescreen' mode before that, by directly editing two values in the Registry (reswidth and resheight) as appropriate.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
and makes the models and UI thiner and weirder
No it does not... The field and UI is the same as before.
since it stayed as normal fullscreen for 16 years
One could only play Warcraft III using a 4:3 aspect ratio resolution. Any other aspect ratio resolution else, eg 1920x1080 for 16:9, resulted in the 4:3 composition being stretched to fill the screen area. This effectively made the game screen pixels non-square. The result is everything appears stretched out of shape. Most noticeable with the command card buttons as those must be square.
and the game was created like that
Warcraft III was created with support only for 4:3. This is very different from modern Blizzard games like StarCraft II which were created with support for 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 and a whole load of other aspect ratios.
don't tell me that it was deproportionate because no game developers would make a game have a screen like that and maintain it for 16 years
Except that is exactly why it has been added now... Warcraft III has not been maintained for 16 years. They finally are getting around to maintaining it and adding features that should have been added long ago, such as wide screen support.
besides that empty space in the UI is just annoying and useless.
Hopefully it is just a temporary hack while they work on an expanding UI. After all Blizzard is no stranger to such a thing as StarCraft II has such a UI.

Level 32
Both @pyf and @Dr Super Good are spot on regarding the facts about WC3's history with aspect ratio. @Wrda, I think your judgement comes from a personal preference that you're used to, and that has unintentionally been twisted into something you feel is fact.

The game was created to be 4:3, but later, we were given the ability to just stretched it to fit modern screens. The models / UI / everything are not "thinner" with this update, they are there true size. It's just that they are no longer stretched. What you think is the normal size is actually the complete opposite, only because you, like many others, have been playing a stretched version to fit our modern screens.

Now if it came down to personal preference rather than trying to prove that this change Blizzard did is wrong, I would kind of see the merit in that. But in the end, that preference comes down to what you were used to (nostalgia) as opposed to what it is supposed to be with objective reasoning.

About the black bars... they're just black bars in the menu. You don't have to do anything about them, they don't give a disadvantage, they don't obstruct. I mean I guess people can say it's ugly, but it's kind of obvious that those would be temporary. It even says in the patch notes that the fixed aspect ration was removed temporarily.

Level 6
@StoPCampinGn00b what about maximum size limit maps? War3 Map Optimizer no longer can optimize script because blizzard removed war3patch.mpq from installation folder. Now you can only optimize object editor data. And since the map size is increased why the non optimized maps still cause longer loading screen? And will they ever increase downloading speed on battle.net? I don't know how Downloading system on SC2 works(If there is any) because I never like that game.

Level 6
does that means the download is increased?
  • Map download progress % over Battle.net has returned

Status
Not open for further replies.