• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
EIEHtMiXkAAM6nJ.jpg

The multiplayer beta for Warcraft III: Reforged begins this week* with limited access to the orc and human races within 1v1 and 2v2 matchmaking. The undead and night elf races, and more game modes will be added in the weeks ahead.

Invitations to the multiplayer beta will be sent out over the coming weeks. Initial invitations will go out in waves to those who have pre-purchased the Spoils of War edition of the game and subsequent waves of invitations will go to additional players, such as those who have pre-purchased the standard edition of Warcraft III: Reforged.

The Spoils of War Edition
In addition to access to the beta, owners of the Spoils of War edition get a few additional perks.

Beyond the Meat Wagon mount in World of Warcraft; Thrall, Anub’arak, Jaina and Tyrande in Heroes of the Storm, and the Third War card back in Hearthstone, the Spoils of War edition also contains:

DYEQZGAN8FC81571781402789.jpg

Warcraft III: Reforged Skins–Champion of the Horde Thrall, Emerald Nightmare Cenarius, Fallen King Arthas, Daughter of the Seas Proudmoore

Learn more: Warcraft® III: Reforged’s Multiplayer Beta Begins This Week!

Level 13
Spirit Walker is still being trained from the Tauren Totem. Great!! The stupidest thing in the recent patches. What's next? Dragonhawk Riders from Arcane Sanctums, Rifflemen from Workshop, Headhunters, Witch Doctors and Bat Riders from a Vodoo Louge?

Level 7
They also failed the release of SC:R because they didnt fix the svc "bug" when you rally point new svc into minerals it doesnt start to automine them. They maybe dont play the games themself and it makes me feel bad. It could be great game if the right person would tweak it a bit.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
They also failed the release of SC:R because they didnt fix the svc "bug" when you rally point new svc into minerals it doesnt start to automine them. They maybe dont play the games themself and it makes me feel bad. It could be great game if the right person would tweak it a bit.
You're saying the bug is still there?
It's SCV by the way.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Well yeah didnt you try it out? I stopped playing in the third mission.
Dude, I just tested melee on the latest update and none of the workers start harvesting minerals by themselves regardless whether you place the rally point on minerals by using the command or right clicking, regardless.
It's not StarCraft II, it's Brood War.

Level 13
Are they going to sell custom skins now?
Don't think so. Maybe in some other way, like for WoW subscriptions or stuff. Also, to me, it's a bit weird. Why would they offer skins as a bonus to collector's edition, when anyone can export them, post them on a modding community, and then anyone can import them? Doesn't make much sense tbh.

Level 13
A question for anyone who got Beta access, if there is someone like that here. Based on personal experience, feeling etc...What's the state of the Beta? How long do you think a Beta will last? How realistic is a December release, before Christmas? Or are we looking at April/May/June/July 2020 for release date?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Don't think so. Maybe in some other way, like for WoW subscriptions or stuff. Also, to me, it's a bit weird. Why would they offer skins as a bonus to collector's edition, when anyone can export them, post them on a modding community, and then anyone can import them? Doesn't make much sense tbh.
Can they do that with StarCraft II payed skin packs? If not, then you have your answer?
WoWWiki, WoWpedia and editor data suggest that. But iirc, in the campaign, the High Elven Barracks actually trains Ballistae, and so they added the Dragon Hawk to the Arcane Sanctum instead. I'm no longer sure, though. I'd have to check RoC UD campaign data to be sure.
dhawkbarrack.png

dhawkarcane.png
Both @Rui and @Razorclaw_X were correct, in their way :p

Reactions: Rui
Level 1

I think that is more for campaing, I know that people can make mods to change everything, but i u can pay, why not, right?

Level 6
Why would they offer skins as a bonus to collector's edition, when anyone can export them, post them on a modding community, and then anyone can import them?
Not everybody understand it as we(Hive guys) do.You can't imagine how many newbies - especially Chinese newbies - are actually fond of purchasing skins and models without any knowledge of WorldEditor or intellectual property.They are just too eager to prove themselves decent by waving their cash to Blizzard "Papa".

Here's a model "market" operated by Netease,of course Blizzard knows that.

moneytize_01.jpg

moneytize_02.jpg

A single tent sells 5 bucks,what the hell?Really promising market,isn't it?I hate to say this,but such a market supported by Netease and Blizzard is just a tip of the iceberg,several third-party platforms have already monetized Warcraft3 for a long time.Were you the CEO of a western company,you would need some guts to neglect such a market with great potential.

Monetizing and microtransaction have completely destroyed every community of worldeditor in China.What's the next victim?

Can they do that with StarCraft II payed skin packs?
As far as I know,they couldn''t because of some copyright issues,not lacking capability of editing models.Speaking of which,do you remember Sc2Mapster,the community of GalaxyEditor?It was once professional and popular,not any more since Blizzard released Nova DLC,purchasable skins and bunches of boring co-op commanders.

Level 13
Early 2020 maybe.
I wouldn't expect it in 2020 before April, cause of WoW contents. If you ask me it's either shortly before Christmas 2019, or after April 2020. I could be wrong though.
Not everybody understand it as we(Hive guys) do.You can't imagine how many newbies - especially Chinese newbies - are actually fond of purchasing skins and models without any knowledge of WorldEditor or intellectual property.They are just too eager to prove themselves decent by waving their cash to Blizzard "Papa".

Here's a model "market" operated by Netease,of course Blizzard knows that.

A single tent sells 5 bucks,what the hell?Really promising market,isn't it?I hate to say this,but such a market supported by Netease and Blizzard is just a tip of the iceberg,several third-party platforms have already monetized Warcraft3 for a long time.Were you the CEO of a western company,you would need some guts to neglect such a market with great potential.

Monetizing and microtransaction have completely destroyed every community of worldeditor in China.What's the next victim?

As far as I know,they couldn''t because of some copyright issues,not lacking capability of editing models.Speaking of which,do you remember Sc2Mapster,the community of GalaxyEditor?It was once professional and popular,not any more since Blizzard released Nova DLC,purchasable skins and bunches of boring co-op commanders.
Can you roughly translate for what games those are? Can't read Chinese :( What I meant, if it's for some really popular game(e.g LoL), than I understand, but not if it's not a that popular game(like pretty much any RTS).

Level 20
If you've seen the extra bonus skins work in Starcraft 2 these are generally for Multiplayer Melee, where you can make your units look that way if you so chose. They know Custom maps can access them just as well as anyone else and just don't care about that. It's been that way ever since the original Wings of Liberty Collector's Edition where you could put on a special skin for the Thor (I don't think it was quite the same as the Odin, but it may have very well been).

Nowadays their entire War Chest system relies on these same type of skins; the Mecha and Cyber Zerg ones are pretty popular.

Can they do that with StarCraft II payed skin packs? If not, then you have your answer?

Both @Rui and @Razorclaw_X were correct, in their way :p
I had a feeling I was missing something about this.

Level 13
All of them are custom wc3 models.Most of them are extracted from different pc-games and edited to apply in wc3,some of them are stolen from Hive.You know,the intellectual property is a mess in China...
And does anyone buy those, like ever?

Level 6
And does anyone buy those, like ever?
Netease has made a profit of ¥100,000,000 through wc3 monetizing during 2018.You could check an old thread of mine.However,lacking some insider to investigate the financial statements of Netease,I had no idea of the exact number nor details of that profit.

Level 6
Netease has made a profit of ¥100,000,000 through wc3 monetizing during 2018.You could check an old thread of mine.However,lacking some insider to investigate the financial statements of Netease,I had no idea of the exact number nor details of that profit.

What in the name of FUCK?!!!!

Anyone going to BlizzCon? This should be clarified at a Q&A.

Level 13
According to Google it's almost 920 000 $. That's huge for an average man, for almost everyone here, unimaginable for me tbh, but not enough that Blizzard would care.

EDIT: Apologies, didn't read the linked post. If it's really that big, it's unbelievable. Don't mean to be rude or anything, but if that's really the case, that's sad, but also hilarious.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
the intellectual property is a mess in China...
iu

They know Custom maps can access them just as well as anyone else and just don't care about that.
Let's hope so.

3esplt.jpg

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Holy crap, the chinesse "community" really sell a lot of Hive's resources: 资源下载-天天RPG
@Ralle @Archian , any word on this?

What the? :goblin_wtf: First time I've heard about this. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

It's really up to the original author of a model if he/she allows the site to host the respective author's original work. I don't think there is much we can do about it. However, we will attempt to contact the site administration and talk to them about ripping off other peoples work and charging money for it as well.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
It's really up to the original author of a model if he/she allows the site to host the respective author's original work. I don't think there is much we can do about it. However, we will attempt to contact the site administration and talk to them about ripping off other peoples work and charging money for it as well.
Good luck, lol. If ActiBlizz doesn't or can't do anything, you guys think you can?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
It's not like this is the first time fan-made content was sold online (It's happened to me in the past for Starcraft).

The question is whether the webmaster cooperates with you.
If that website's owner is earning, what do you think?
Thing is, Blizz can't go law with them because it's not their property and Hiveworkshop can only do so "much".
Let's try addressing a letter directly to China's chief secretary. Maybe they don't get value added tax, or don't they :D?

Level 20
If that website's owner is earning, what do you think?
That they'll take it down?

If you want to make this a political issue that's your business, but very often things are much simpler to deal with by being polite but firm. The issue isn't really about money as much as being disrespectful.

Reactions: Rui
Level 6
On a more positive note, I was right. There is a new track in the game and it seems it was cut out of the original game. I like it and it sounds like WC2 but the end kind of dissipates instead of ending with a bang.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
That they'll take it down?
Not if the owner is gaining cash. It's in another world. Only China's "law" enforcement can do anything about it.
If you want to make this a political issue that's your business, but very often things are much simpler to deal with by being polite but firm. The issue isn't really about money as much as being disrespectful.
Some countries don't care about exploiting resources from others and you're saying petty thieves will care about respect?
On a more positive note, I was right. There is a new track in the game and it seems it was cut out of the original game. I like it and it sounds like WC2 but the end kind of dissipates instead of ending with a bang.
Actually sounds like sampled parts from Warcraft III's OST.

Level 6
Not if the owner is gaining cash. It's in another world. Only China's "law" enforcement can do anything about it.

Some countries don't care about exploiting resources from others and you're saying petty thieves will care about respect?

Actually sounds like sampled parts from Warcraft III's OST.

Maybe they could get in some of the Alpha music in as well. Would love some more musical variety.

Level 20

You already decided that being civil won't get you desired results, and that may be fine for you personally, but you're not the only one who has a horse in this race; what do you lose by being polite?

Status
Not open for further replies.