• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Destruction of Dalaran

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
Singleplayer one-mission campaign.

You play as a Pit Lord, who is ordered by Lord Archimonde to destroy Dalaran so he can drain it's magical powers.

This map is not lore friendly, even though it uses characters from the original lore.

It is my first map, so don't be too hard on me, pls :(.

v1.1: Made it so that there is a cinematic at the start so everyone can see the conversation, even if their subtitles are turned off.

IMPORTANT: I've moved on to make other map(s), so I won't be updating this one anymore. Of course if you want to, you still can leave a comment, but just note that I will not be updating this map in the future.
Contents

The Destruction of Dalaran (Map)

Reviews
FeelsGoodMan
There is a cinematic in the beginning, but no subtitles or cinematic mode? I have no idea what they are talking about, but I see their portraits talking to each other :p Both scourge og bone chimes and mask of death in the start? Seems a bit...
tulee
If you add the campaign tag, normally there should be multiple missions. Also, the "RPG" tag might be better than the "Story Acting/RP" tag. This comment also applies to the other map you posted recently: Skellingtons
deepstrasz
That description needs work. This is not an RPG, it's as melee as it can be, well, altered melee of sorts. Frankly, from the look of the minimap, it looks uninteresting, bland. Seems, like only bird's view camera shots. Archimonde is smaller than the...
There is a cinematic in the beginning, but no subtitles or cinematic mode? I have no idea what they are talking about, but I see their portraits talking to each other :p

Both scourge og bone chimes and mask of death in the start? Seems a bit overkill.

Another cinematic without cinematic mode or subtitles?

Sorry but this was unbearable. I got into another cinematic without any cinematic mode or subtitles, and my whole army is paused in place. The camera pans to some chaotic war and hints tells me to close portals. Then it pans back to my pit lord again.

As if that wasn't enough I don't actually need to do anything as the friendly units around the portals are strong enough to survive on their own, so when I arrived I automatically completed the quest lol :p

And what's up with the terrain deformations at the brick tiles? Shouldn't they be flat, and not fluctuate that much? Some terrain fluctuation on brick tiles is fine, but not as much as you have done.

Level 4
There isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a cinematic at the start, I don't know what you are talking about.

Yeah, might be too strong, still working on mainly how to balance and improve looks of maps - as I said I am a beginner.

There is a cinematic when you clear the gold mine so that you can't order your units to walk in the acolytes' way, because that would make them not build and mess up that part of the map.

As I said: I am very new to map making (this was my very first map), so thank you for your comment and I will try to improve in my next map.

You are sending transmissions from units without activating cinematic mode or including subtitles. I added a trigger to your map to demonstrate what I mean.

This is the trigger I added:

• Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing on as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All players)
      • Wait 20.00 seconds
      • Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode Off for (All players)

This is the result:

Honestly have you even tested or checked this yourself? It is the first thing that happens when you start so I don't know how you can have possibly missed it when testing?

Level 4
I have only one version of this, so I couldn't upload the wrong version, on this screenshot you can see it's working normally for me. How can this not be a mistake on your side if it works for me and for another random person??
archi talking.png

It seems you are correct, I didn't have subtitles enabled in my game settings.

You should consider enabling cinematic mode though, especially considering you disable user control/pause all units every time someone talks, and are panning cameras to show events in other areas etc.

That way people who have subtitles disabled will also see what is going on.

Level 4
I apologize then, I actually didn't know these subs. can be turned off, I'll make a cinematic at the start then, sorry for the inconvenience.
Edit: Hive is being weird rn, so I am gonna try to upload the map tomorrow, it won't let me upload it rn for some reason.

Last edited:
I see you are regularly updating this map. You should make a change log to inform what has been changed.

Also you do seem to have some knowledge of variables and triggers so here's my suggestion, and please don't take it the wrong way;

Scrap this map and think of it as one of your early creations. Go to the terrain board on this site and look at the different stuff people post there and get inspired by that. Practice terraining a bit until your map looks somewhat visually pleasing. Don't go all out and try to mix everything into one map. Try for example to make a forest. Look at pictures of forests, look at how other people have made forests in their maps etc. and then you work with that. Then you try your hand at another kind of terrain until it looks good.

Your most lacking area is without a doubt the terrain, and I am a stern believer of working on your weaknesses until they become your strengths. Good luck.

Level 4
There is a change log in the description of this map (it says: "v1.1: Made it so that there is a cinematic at the start so everyone can see the conversation, even if their subtitles are turned off.")

I appreciate your comments and try for help. I definitely won't scrap this map because it's bad. Why would I? The terrain is mainly bad because I used the automatic random field or whatever it's called made by Blizzard. If you want to see what I did with terrain you can check my second map I uploaded today "Skellingtons".

Thank you again for the cricism. I will try to improve in all of my next maps. And yeah, you're right. I already did and again will check other maps and see what to work on with the terrain. I think I kinda balanced the second map well. So terrain is my main goal rn.

Have a great day!

There is a change log in the description of this map (it says: "v1.1: Made it so that there is a cinematic at the start so everyone can see the conversation, even if their subtitles are turned off.")

I appreciate your comments and try for help. I definitely won't scrap this map because it's bad. Why would I? The terrain is mainly bad because I used the automatic random field or whatever it's called made by Blizzard. If you want to see what I did with terrain you can check my second map I uploaded today "Skellingtons".

Thank you again for the cricism. I will try to improve in all of my next maps. And yeah, you're right. I already did and again will check other maps and see what to work on with the terrain. I think I kinda balanced the second map well. So terrain is my main goal rn.

Have a great day!

Ah didn't see the change log as it was cramped up with the description.

I didnt mean scrap it as in delete it. I only meant that further improvements on this map is futile unless you plan to give it an extreme overhaul, and even if you did such a thing I would still start from scratch if I were you.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
That description needs work.
This is not an RPG, it's as melee as it can be, well, altered melee of sorts.
  1. Frankly, from the look of the minimap, it looks uninteresting, bland.
  2. Seems, like only bird's view camera shots.
  3. Archimonde is smaller than the pit lord.
  4. How can Howl of Terror last between a number of seconds and a higher one? I thought the duration was fixed to the ability's level.
  5. There is fog of war. You can see enemy positions.
  6. Only Warcraft III material used (including spells, units, models etc.). You could use some custom spells: Spells | HIVE
  7. Black Arrow switches positions with Devour Magic on game load.
  8. You should write the ability descriptions based on the Warcraft III ones. Doom says 50 or 100 damage depending on the ability level. I assume, it only has two levels.
  9. No idea why you didn't make your own story than allegedly parody the original game's.
  10. Charm, Charm everywhere!
  11. Lynnaith looks exactly like the other succubi and doesn't have a hero glow. You could add one and/or change the model too: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  12. There's basically no danger if you don't attack anything and the biggest danger was at the start.
  13. "Little demon"? Is the goblin kidding?
  14. Look! A gold mine that you can't use. You can't reach it, yet(?).
  15. The terrain could use work. There are many empty one tile parts.
  16. Some demons can be healed by Death Coils, others can't.
  17. Ancient Protector is weaker than my grandma.
  18. Shouldn't you learn ultimate abilities farther than at a 2 levels distance?
  19. Lucky I moved my units from the mine as they aren't moved by triggers so that the Acolytes would have space for building.
  20. Them acolytes have warpten, man.
  21. Could be nice to set rally point on the location you want for autotraining units.
  22. Basically, you kill units waiting for you on the map. There's no need to either rush or strategize. Attack+Move suffices most of the time.
  23. You have to clear even the remaining workers.
  24. Got the ending quest completed message two times.
  25. No ending scene? I'm disappointed.
  26. Also got a crash after clicking Continue on the Victory dialog box.
So, while the concept is nice and this map is a fun massacre, it's not enough to get approved. Maybe, if it was a campaign with thought out humour, who knows.

Substandard.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 13
This could use some custom import, but don't overdo it - TOO much custom stuff may make it awful. (aka don't "ima browse the custom section and import everything that looks cool", because that's what most beginning mapmakers would do)

Map can show promise if you keep updating it.

Also put the fog of war on the minimap, dammit.