• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #22 - Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_terraining-png.311502

contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
2-png.311475
2-png.311475

techtree-22-banner-png.366506

"Nature" by fladdermasken, depicting Nature + Water

dualism-png.366170

Combine two elements from the pool, and create a scene depicting their coexistence. You may color your chosen elements however you like, as long as they are discernible from each other in the final result. Classic/SD submissions only.

Fire
Frost
Lightning
Nature
Water
terrain22f-png.366277
terrain22fr-png.366276
terrain22s-png.366278
terrain22n-png.366280
terrain22w-png.366279
Embers, flames
Ice crystals, snow
Lightning bolts, electricity
Flora and fauna
Bodies of water, fluids

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If an entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one Work-in-Progress (WIP) of your submission before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Off-site imports may be used in the map, if and only if:
    • They are fully credited.
    • They are public resources and a link is provided.
    • They were made before the contest launch date.
    • Outside that, certain resources may get approved for use by the mod or judges. Edits may be made, as long as the resulting models are posted in the contest thread.
  • Map may be based on the The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0
  • Image editing tools may not be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop).
  • Graphics mods, such as RenderEdge, are prohibited.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Aesthetics Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition. /25

Creativity
How unique and inventive is the idea? How original and unexpected? /15

Detail
Measurement and balance of detail in design. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder. /45

Theme
How well do the elements chosen blend together with the rest of the scene? Are they discernible and distinct? Were they featured adequately, or was their presence negligible? /15

/100

• Judgement: 75%
  • Poll: 25%
FinalScore = (25*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (75*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 20th October 2020 and conclude on 20th November 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Level 29
Early wip 1.

ElementNº1 Frost. Element N2 Ligthining

upload_2020-10-20_13-2-1.png

upload_2020-10-20_13-2-58.png

Note N1; my idea is to build a scene where the mas of ligthining scars the frozen land, thats just a concept, gonna make it very polished.
Note2 footmans are to help me to have scence of sizes and view.

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-20_12-54-16.png
    upload_2020-10-20_12-54-16.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
A bit sad that "Wind" and "Earth" aren't elements, but I'm loving those WIPs!

If I may, FeelsGoodMan - consider changing the scale and height of those flying creatures a little more, or maybe add more variation in the models as well. :)
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it :)

Level 29
Here's my second WIP, and second element (lightning);
full

I really like your terrainings 10/10

with humilty a wip 2

upload_2020-10-21_15-2-35.png

well this is the ligthining singularity I am trying to build.
note that is not that easy, my editor saturates after 800 eyes of sargeras and starts to turn off the doodads, funny thing, there are some buildings, but well, I still didnt decide everything of the scene yet.
I tested many other doodads as ligthing thing, and this are the ones I like most.

an interesting points between @FeelsGoodMan

-Both we are going with a cliff narrow wall on both sides to guide the element
fire in your case my ligthing moustrosity in my case.
-you work and build in macro, camara far from the ground, huge doodads while I feel more confortable with the camara more near the ground and use small doodads, is a tendency I have.

Level 11
I really like your terrainings 10/10

with humilty a wip 2

View attachment 366579

well this is the ligthining singularity I am trying to build.
note that is not that easy, my editor saturates after 800 eyes of sargeras and starts to turn off the doodads, funny thing, there are some buildings, but well, I still didnt decide everything of the scene yet.
I tested many other doodads as ligthing thing, and this are the ones I like most.

an interesting points between @FeelsGoodMan

-Both we are going with a cliff narrow wall on both sides to guide the element
fire in your case my ligthing moustrosity in my case.
-you work and build in macro, camara far from the ground, huge doodads while I feel more confortable with the camara more near the ground and use small doodads, is a tendency I have.
What if you make the eyes from effects at the trigger editor? Create them ass special effects at the melee starting trigger, and a line that takes the camera focus that you want. Of course, that would force you to have to take the screenshots from the map instead of from WE, but they wouldn't count as doodads. Not sure if it could work, just a fast idea.

Level 29
What if you make the eyes from effects at the trigger editor? Create them ass special effects at the melee starting trigger, and a line that takes the camera focus that you want. Of course, that would force you to have to take the screenshots from the map instead of from WE, but they wouldn't count as doodads. Not sure if it could work, just a fast idea.

hi I will point out my issue with screen later, busy now.

Level 29
upload_2020-10-23_15-4-15.png

mayor changes, mmm well now the cristals disappear if I put to many doodads so I am now doing a doodad economy , more big doodads to build the scene,small doodads only in the front, middle and back big rocks and big ice cristals. and the singularity still remains , but not going to increase the size any further

Level 36
A bit sad that "Wind" and "Earth" aren't elements

This.

Lightning just doesn't feel like it's at all coversome enough to be it's own component, and "Nature" is kinda essential to any terrain, and could be argued as being pretty much anything that comes from nature (E.g: Everything), so... Too coversome? >.>

But it is what it is, and surprisingly enough, I'm seeing some creative takes doing the rounds.

I know it's early days still, but try toning down the orange, FeelsGoodMan. And maybe lessen the lense flare, don't forget that first and foremostly a scenic terrain is supposed to be pleasant to look at.

And your terrain made me think of The Last of Us Part 2, Z-machine. Bold choice to use big unit models so close to the foreground, but weirdly enough it's working. Maybe loose the deagon though, it looks off. I'd prefer the burning to have a less explicit explanation.

Very interesting concept there, WolfFarkas, but for the love of Mazdamundi, please get rid of the blizzard cliffs and use the raise tool like a proper self-respecting terrainer. I am curious to see where that terrain will go, though.

Keep at it gents, it's lovely seeing a TC actually attracting some entries ^^

Level 29
This.

Lightning just doesn't feel like it's at all coversome enough to be it's own component, and "Nature" is kinda essential to any terrain, and could be argued as being pretty much anything that comes from nature (E.g: Everything), so... Too coversome? >.>

But it is what it is, and surprisingly enough, I'm seeing some creative takes doing the rounds.

I know it's early days still, but try toning down the orange, FeelsGoodMan. And maybe lessen the lense flare, don't forget that first and foremostly a scenic terrain is supposed to be pleasant to look at.

And your terrain made me think of The Last of Us Part 2, Z-machine. Bold choice to use big unit models so close to the foreground, but weirdly enough it's working. Maybe loose the deagon though, it looks off. I'd prefer the burning to have a less explicit explanation.

Very interesting concept there, WolfFarkas, but for the love of Mazdamundi, please get rid of the blizzard cliffs and use the raise tool like a proper self-respecting terrainer. I am curious to see where that terrain will go, though.

Keep at it gents, it's lovely seeing a TC actually attracting some entries ^^

Thanks for the feedback, yes, there wont be any blizzard cliffs in the final entry,
I started and used those cliff fast to design in my mind the area , and it help me to start small and then increase the size so I can understand what I am going to do. I like to put every doodad mindfully to build the scene and get the desired effect. gonna use the raise tool in some key spots too.

more size
upload_2020-10-24_0-58-13.png

edit:
upload_2020-10-24_13-46-18.png

Last edited:
Was originally gonna go for a pirate raid but the dragon silhouette feels way better.
More progress + playing around with the composition a bit.
unknown.png
The composition feels good with the separated foreground, midground and background, but the choice of colors and models could be better. It has too much of that "vanilla" wc3 feeling, whereas you could use more custom models and make it look better - for example adding reflections to the water would make it pop a lot, and adding a custom cloudy sky would make it look more epic. Also, increase the intensity of the rain if possible, it feels too light for such a dramatic scene. Also that boat feels a little out-of-place on the edge of the screen like that, move it inwards and/or shipwreck it :D
EDIT: oops, didn't see you had a new WiP

Here's my second WIP, and second element (lightning);
full
Looks pretty neat, but could be so much better composition-wise if you lowered the camera and raised the angle up a bit - the rocks and buildings would look more massive and majestic and they wouldn't "bump" against the upper edge of the composition.

EDIT: more feedback :p
Thanks for the feedback, yes, there wont be any blizzard cliffs in the final entry,
I started and used those cliff fast to design in my mind the area , and it help me to start small and then increase the size so I can understand what I am going to do. I like to put every doodad mindfully to build the scene and get the desired effect. gonna use the raise tool in some key spots too.
It's still early to give feedback here, but one thing to look out for is not to have too much detail in the background. A way to achieve it is to put on a slight fog that will wash out the background colors, or just use fewer (but larger) doodads in the areas further from the camera. Also those mossy green stone blocks don't sit too well with the general aesthetic.
Color-wise, I'd say it needs a warm accent, because all the colors are so cold and monotone - blue/cyan/green. If you're going for ice/fire thematic, perhaps try to make the fires yellow/orange/red instead, or try to incorporate more warm tones into the composition in another way.

P.S. Hope it isn't against the rules for judges to give constructive feedback :p

Last edited:
Level 29
might be joining. I lost my touch on warcraft for 2 years. sad sad face

nah, you have your touch, wc3 is like ride a bike you wont forget it.

upload_2020-10-27_14-26-15.png

Is not a 10/10 but I like the composition, the singularity, caves, iceclaws and the statue. not going to increase the size more I dont want to loose more singularity detail.

fog and sky will be the last of the last thing.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I change the second element from water to frost. This is my WIP

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

nice, mmm are you using the UTM 4.0 , it has tons of doodads to build a scene, I recommend it to try, you can also copy paste you progress (terrain and doodads) to the UTM 4.0

Nope, I am not using that. I won't even use custom imports for this terrain. At first I wanted to use custom tilesets like the ones from League 2 but then I thought that I can do something by combining the actual ones from Blizzard, even though most of them are kinda ugly, some look really nice. I'll post the follow up WIP soon. :plol:

Level 26
nah, you have your touch, wc3 is like ride a bike you wont forget it.

View attachment 367017

Is not a 10/10 but I like the composition, the singularity, caves, iceclaws and the statue. not going to increase the size more I dont want to loose more singularity detail.

fog and sky will be the last of the last thing.
impressive, I kinda like the stair and those open area. I may think about this contest again :D

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Follow up WIP

full

full

full

full

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

@Alexen neat. Keep in mind - you only have to build your scene for one angle, as this is a scenic contest, and not a playable one. ;)
What do you mean by that? I am not allowed to make more than one scenes in the terrain? I'm combining nature and frost. The whole self of the land is composed of glacial scenes combined with forest and nature + living creatures and tiny villages of their own leading towards various environments.

As in :

full

full

full

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

ok.

Also (sorry for double post), is it bad that there's sort of water in the scene I choose as the final entry? I mean..I plan on evolving that village with elemental inhabitants and aside from the nature and frost dominant elements used to create it, there's also a bit of water. I'm not using 3 elements, right?

What do you mean by that? I am not allowed to make more than one scenes in the terrain? I'm combining nature and frost. The whole self of the land is composed of glacial scenes combined with forest and nature + living creatures and tiny villages of their own leading towards various environments.

As in :

full

full

full
I'm afraid you are not fully aware of what a scenic terraining contest is.

You have to present one shot as your final entry. A pleasnt one of course, to the viewer. As of now it seems pretty much you are making a playable terrain to me.

Observe the previous scenic contests, and learn how to make a scenic terrain using the elements we terrainers have; fog, angle, composition, lighting, color, depth, detail ... e.g.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I'm afraid you are not fully aware of what a scenic terraining contest is.

You have to present one shot as your final entry. A pleasnt one of course, to the viewer. As of now it seems pretty much you are making a playable terrain to me.

Observe the previous scenic contests, and learn how to make a scenic terrain using the elements we terrainers have; fog, angle, composition, lighting, color, depth, detail ... e.g.
Maybe you are right. I'm not into scenic terrain. :peasant-sad:
I demand to be disqualified.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I did not ever mean to disappoint you. You can still continue with that, but choose a good angle and work on your terrain based on that angle.

Work on aesthetics aspects as well as details and depth. A pity not to finish your work, as I see potential in those WIPs.
Well I don't know what might result. I can make beautiful terrains, but mostly for custom games since that's what I'm mostly based on....

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

It's even better. You have terraining skills. Now try them in a scenic piece. If you need to read, take a look at the tutorials. If you need examples, there are plenty of them either in Terrain & Level Design forum or the previous contests.

You'll be happy with the result, I assure you.
I will. So basically the final entry is a picture actually of the best angle of the terrain I'm making? Like, we are not supposed to upload the map in a bundle or anything?

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Yes. Basically the entry is a screenshot taken from the angle you prefer. Imagine the outcome is like any artistic image taken by a photographer or a painting. Now you are the artist and your camera is WE. :]

No you don't have to upload any map, it's not necessary.
Ok, got it now! Thanks for clarifying it. :plol:

Level 36
What do you mean by that?

Think of it like this:

Creating a "scenic terrain" is like painting a picture. You choose one angle, one shot, just like you chose one canvas, and you make everything fit into that shot, like a picture, you "compose" the terrain.

Most terrainers have a hundred different techniques and illusions that they use to enhance the quality of their terrains, which are dependent on working from a set specific angle.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to flesh out the world you are creating inside your piece of art, I often did that myself for the architecture and nature in my terrains, but lighting, atmosphere and depth perception are better tackled by "cheating with the angle". In as much in that you cleverly place lighting doodads to give the illusion of, for instance, a sunset or that you rather fool around with the scaling of doodads rather than actual distance from the camera to give the terrain a sense of volume, etc.

Oh and, neat first WIP Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.