• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #19 - Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
:con: All of these entries look great already, may see if i can make something with my meagre skills as a terrain artist, will have to think of something good to compete with these though

Don't worry, we'll substandard their maps because that's clearly not warcraft 3.

Jokes aside, I also feel way overwhelmed.

anyway, WIP

WIP.png

I wonder what this is...

:con: All of these entries look great already, may see if i can make something with my meagre skills as a terrain artist, will have to think of something good to compete with these though

That's good to hear. I am sure that you can brainstorm some sweet juice for us to admire ^_^

Don't worry, we'll substandard their maps because that's clearly not warcraft 3.

Jokes aside, I also feel way overwhelmed.

anyway, WIP

I wonder what this is...

I quite like where this is going. My instant thought upon seeing this was Niagara Falls :]
Keep it up <3

Guys....looking at you @Strydhaizer @fladdermasken (when someones kicks you back into action), @BranaR @~Void~ @2-P come along :'-)

Be my guest ^^

@Gilles @Azurot @Strydhaizer @2-P @fladdermasken where you at ma bois?

Edit: Our dearest @Naze has offered to judge on the other hand. Welcome ;]

If it is possible I'd like one more judge for our contest. In the meantime I will prepare some works to participate as well.

I could only hope that @Keiji 's toaster will behave and let him get in as well :]

RedLord

R

RedLord

@Naze

Yeah, I feel I don't belong here since I saw PrinceYaser's WIPs, they are awesome lol.

@Heinvers
Glad, you like my first try on terraining lol

RedLord

R

RedLord

May ask? Is it okay if I import a WoW Model? Which is Genn Greymane...

Sure, Blizzard is probably credited.

If not, then it's fine.

@Heinvers How can I take a quality screenshot? Does that generally depend on my monitor or?
Depends on your monitor and the AA settings of your graphics card.
May ask? Is it okay if I import a WoW Model? Which is Genn Greymane...

Sure, Blizzard is probably credited.

If not, then it's fine.

Of course.

Come one guys, put your backs at it ;]

@Heinvers How can I take a quality screenshot? Does that generally depend on my monitor or?
You can try setting up virtual super resolution to render a picture above what your monitor can display, although I have not tested it with the World Editor (nor have I tried that method in general :D)
Do report back if you try such a thing, I'm kinda curious :p

You can try setting up virtual super resolution to render a picture above what your monitor can display, although I have not tested it with the World Editor (nor have I tried that method in general :D)
Do report back if you try such a thing, I'm kinda curious :p
That thing, seemingly, is for a Radeon graphics card and AMD driver. Mine is a 5-6 years old NVIDIA GeForce. So yeah, I would not! xD

Level 11
I'm sorry to say this. I haven't had any time left to do the final edit on the colouration as I am now on my first time ever overseas trip. So if there isn't any final output from me, please take my final wip as my final work. Sorry guys. I had great time, hopefully I can fully use my potential next time.

Hey guys. How's it going? :]

Thanks @PrinceYaser , that is correct @Marjosh38 :>

I wanted to mention that in the events that you guys have ideas that require extension for the contest, I will grant it as always ^_^
So do not hesitate to ask for one if certain things and happenings demand it.

I haven't forgotten about entering if yer' all asking by the way. It's in the works as I'm speaking and not to mention that a certain someone will show up soon enough fluttering around.

Good luck folks!

Level 28
For you guys who are feeling lost: get references!

Look at a ton of art - the bigger your repertoire of images seen, the easier it'll be to come up with ideas for your own stuff. This works for every art though, music, drawing, etc.

Here are some terrain galleries with interesting use of doodads, composition, lighting, etc.:
Megafyr's Terrains
My Terrain Showcase
elredir's terrains
Showcase 'le fladdermasken
My Terraining Gallery
johannesr's Terrain Showcase
Megafyr's Terrains

There are more galleries here: Complete List of Terrain Galleries

Also you guys can look for references outside WC3. Search for games that you admire the scenery, you'll start to notice some reasons why you find them so awesome.

RedLord

R

RedLord

Why the hell I'm jealous to your works especially on Heinvers?? :/

Anyways, Let's see what I can do..

Level 36
I haven't forgotten about entering if yer' all asking by the way. It's in the works as I'm speaking and not to mention that a certain someone will show up soon enough fluttering around.

Do it.

I won't be able to make it to this contest, but whenever I get myself a new laptop there will be a challenge incoming.

So hone those skills, Hein, you'll be needing them when I return.

Do it.

I won't be able to make it to this contest, but whenever I get myself a new laptop there will be a challenge incoming.

So hone those skills, Hein, you'll be needing them when I return.

I will try. I also hope that the fluttermasken will come about soon.

Challenge? Oh, that should be interesting.

Ahh... Thanks for info.
I'm thinking if I'll join in the contest. Hmm...

Do consider participating. You'd do well :]

Level 29
If so, I can create entry. :)

same here

I would like to participate, for fun (I am newby).
The extention would be great, still I will try to reach to the day 15.

WIP 1

The orcs have destroyed a great elf wall.
To move faster they main army abandoned the siege weapons to conquer NE lands.
Orcs stablished a small camp to guard the engines.

Features (for the moment):
- NE elf Wall.
- Orc Wooden Juggernaut.
- Orc small siege engine.

upload_2018-12-10_16-45-34.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I myself probably won't need the extension, but apparently people do need it. And sounds like a good opportunity to work more on our entries.

Anyhow, I've changed my piece. The first 'n last WIP until the final entry.

Still not sure if an angeled camera would help!

Attachments

• TC#19-001.png
    TC#19-001.png
    791.3 KB · Views: 318
Level 29
Some coments:

Neruvatar: remembers me a wow region, where insectoids live, plaguelands or some sort, really nice!!.

Mythic: ?? interesting??

Prince Yaser: it remembers me Skyrim enviroment,wich is great, even more with those skeletons (that may rise??), I like it!!.

Bernkastel: the building destroyed remembers me WWII warfare, Stalingrad in particular, the factories destroyed, snipers hidding.
I like the camara and the buildings on the distance.

Lord_Turin: your idea is similar to mine, with the diference that I wanted to focus on orcs siege engines.
and that your wall is Human while mine is NE. I like the roof of the tower.

@Paillan: Is an Orge Mound??, by looking the main positions of the rocks...

Red Lord: Perfectly fitting with the portrait screen, with the human seeing the stuff. It also remembers me Skyrim. Very, very nice!

Nigthstalker: remebers me Starcraft. It seems that the crusier conquered that city , nice!!

WIP 3

upload_2018-12-10_23-48-26.png

I still going to add cages, barrels and stuff to the Juggernaut, and more plants, to make it more lively

May I ask feedback?? what do you think??

It seems I have empty space in front of the Juggernaut and behind the small siege tower, ( I think is good have it empty, like a rest area).

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Alright, here I am with a new update, and a question. The game fog doesn't do a good job at all so I'm using clouds and other stuff, will it be good enough to fill everywhere? How should I thin it?

And how does this current composition look to an outsider? Any flaws sticking out? I have made a concept art using images from online to get myself a more solid image. And I'm trying to stick to it as much as I can.

aftermathwip4-png.311408

Attachments

• aftermathwip4.png
    aftermathwip4.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 597
Last edited:
Level 5
Alright, here I am with a new update, and a question. The game fog doesn't do a good job at all so I'm using clouds and other stuff, will it be good enough to fill everywhere? How should I thin it?

And how does this current composition look to an outsider? Any flaws sticking out? I have made a concept art using images from online to get myself a more solid image. And I'm trying to stick to it as much as I can.

aftermathwip4-png.311408

Cool! Looks like a landscape from the Mortal Engines movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.