• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terraining Contest #20 - Water Structures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
thread_hive_logo-png.311520

ct_terraining-png.311502
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
2-png.311475
0-png.311473

upload_2019-5-13_23-37-3.png

Participants are to create a scene with the water structures. An oil platform, a lake town, a sea base are some of the unlimited examples. Structures that can be placed on a lake, river or sea. Water structures can be modern, futuristic, ancient or fantasy. You are free to draw inspiration from real life zones or fantasy ones but new things are encouraged to be portrayed.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If an entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must contain a screenshot of your work
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours. This means you must upload a screenshot showing a WIP (Work In Progress).
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Offsite-imports may be used in the map, if and only if
    • They are fully credited.
    • They are public resources and a link is provided.
    • They were made before the contest launch date.
    • However certain resources might get approved by the contest's host or judge(s).
  • Map may be based on the The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0
  • Image editing tools may not be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop).
other_prizes-png.311512

• First Place: 45 reputation points, your entry on the award icon and a custom rank icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

other_judges-png.311510

• Heinvers
  • Naze
other_contest_judging-png.311506

Creativity Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat. /15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder. /15

Technique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity. /15

Aesthetics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition. /15

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 15th of May, 2019 and conclude on 19th of June, 2019, GMT

Assigned Staff: @Naze

Level 28
Alright I put myself as the assigned moderator and did some minor edits in the first post. The rest of the process is okay, no need to do a pre sign list, unless the contest is wildly too popular, so don't worry =P

Other than that, we should just tag the ones commented/voted in the theme discussion thread so they can know this is happening:
@Pyrogasm @Bernkastel @Astaroth Zion @Mythic etc

About starting date: I'll officially start tomorrow the 15th, so people still have some hours to react. I'll do the other annoucements on Discord and the green notice once it officially starts.

That's it!

Level 29
Put me in participants.

changed that I wont do the pre-sign thing, acording to Naze directions (also removed myself), so I will start adding people to the list tomorrow when the contest oficially starts.

Alright I put myself as the assigned moderator and did some minor edits in the first post. The rest of the process is okay, no need to do a pre sign list, unless the contest is wildly too popular, so don't worry =P

Other than that, we should just tag the ones commented/voted in the theme discussion thread so they can know this is happening:
@Pyrogasm @Bernkastel @Astaroth Zion @Mythic etc

About starting date: I'll officially start tomorrow the 15th, so people still have some hours to react. I'll do the other annoucements on Discord and the green notice once it officially starts.

That's it!

thanks a lot, I am also doing vm and pm with users that are interested in this or that may be.

Last edited by a moderator:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Considering I tanked my melee map contest bottom of the barrel twice, I think I won't be making them any soon :D

But this has to be the strangest competition.
Its just a screenshot?

And the map itself isn't being judged, it doesn't even have to work, or you don't even submit a map?

I'm in! I'll make something even if I don't have much time, as I like the weird concept.

It sounds like "proof of concept" competition tbh.

Level 11
That's what terraining contests have always consisted of (non-playable maps), so it's not strange, but if by seeing it like this you've joined, better than others see with your eyes.

Level 29
Considering I tanked my melee map contest bottom of the barrel twice, I think I won't be making them any soon :D

1-But this has to be the strangest competition.
2-Its just a screenshot?

3-And the map itself isn't being judged, it doesn't even have to work, or you don't even submit a map?

4-I'm in! I'll make something even if I don't have much time, as I like the weird concept.

It sounds like "proof of concept" competition tbh.

1- this competition has a trayectory since 2007 was the first one.
2- yes only one screenshot as final entry, there is no wip limit.

Terraining Contest #19 - Aftermath
if you see in this wip, I set a camara, and started using the doodads to "create" like play with lego, a lot of page up and page down with doodads,
you can change the camara, and say, I would like other angle,

you open the editor, alter the doodads you want to use, and start using them, to "create something", the only rule is to follow the theme wich is water structures, but the water structure can be whatever you like.
you take screens with imprint page botton.

3- no map, the screenshots wips are to proof what you are doing
your final entry, a screenshot is reviewed as stated above in the judging criteria.

4- I will add people to the list after the oficial launch.

Well, i don't have any experience in the expert terraining, but, partly because ragnaros recommended me, and partly because I admire all this, I will try to join. I will be the noob that makes the others not look bad, in comparison, so thank me:)

well I dont have that much experience neither, I participied in the 19 terraining contest the aftermath, and I had fun, is like play with lego parts, "create" something and well set a fog, there are clouds doodads to work a sky. , something far something near, you play with distances.

Level 11
I have something in mind, based on Europa (moon of Jupiter), and the possibility of life in it, buried under twenty kilometers of hardened ice.
Would it be valid, then, for this "structure" to be a kind of mixture between scientific operational base and futuristic excavator, all set in science fiction, and located on the air, right on the water of Europe (it would be sustained on a of "tubes").

Level 29
RenderEdge
I think, this mode can give a very big advantage.

agree, there is a clear diference between the users that use it and users that dont use it.
it should fall under this category.

"Image editing tools may not be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop)."

I see that mod was originaly realeased in november 2018, so it was never used in a terraining contest before.

the terrain should be enhanced by skills, using the doodads, ligths doodads that stuff,

Is it okay if I upload the terrain screenshot with enhanced graphics mod (RenderEdge)?

I have to ask you to not use it.

Unless @Naze comes and allow it. (I pm him to ask about that mod)

I have something in mind, based on Europa (moon of Jupiter), and the possibility of life in it, buried under twenty kilometers of hardened ice.
Would it be valid, then, for this "structure" to be a kind of mixture between scientific operational base and futuristic excavator, all set in science fiction, and located on the air, right on the water of Europe (it would be sustained on a of "tubes").

if those tubes that support the entire structure are on the water so yes is a water structure, you can do like 4 big pillars in the water and build up high. you can use floating ice in the water, sounds cool.

Level 29
Being that these tubes, as well as the base of the structure, would be digging instruments, yes, they would be in the water.

cool,

I will go with a modern theme (metal/stone) , in a XXI century, some kind of water plant generator
very early wip 1

and a hint to others participants, from the ultimate terraining 4.0, there are a lot of wooden doodads to do nice water structures.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-15_14-56-3.png
    upload_2019-5-15_14-56-3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 325
Level 29
Anybody have an idea for a giant ice wall?

you ordered ice? thats from a melee map I never uploaded.

In the mean while, the power convector is in 15 volts, I set a power cell above 5 amperes, I had to sell 3 carbon turbins to buy those orange reactors, and the yellow barrel has Kodo refined Oil as fuel, is high dangerous.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-15_19-13-43.png
    upload_2019-5-15_19-13-43.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 265
  • upload_2019-5-15_19-19-37.png
    upload_2019-5-15_19-19-37.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
Level 11
A first WIP: The life before the human.
(Clearly, some tricks are still missing, such as reflections or the sun, in addition to trying to put a sky over space, with Jupiter in the background, and still lack the research center, improve the terrain, etc.).
Edit: How can I link the image directly? I have seen others upload their images, without having to download them (forgive my ignorance)

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_051119_031611_02.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
Level 29
A first WIP: The life before the human.
(Clearly, some tricks are still missing, such as reflections or the sun, in addition to trying to put a sky over space, with Jupiter in the background, and still lack the research center, improve the terrain, etc.).
Edit: How can I link the image directly? I have seen others upload their images, without having to download them (forgive my ignorance)

you uploaded as .tga wich requires photoshop,

you can paste the screen in paint brush and from there paste it here directly

or upload as jpg.

Level 11
Well,this is because the W3 instantly upload the screenshot as .tga.

Edit: NO! MI WE HAS BEEN CLOSED, AND I LOOSED ALL! It will take time...

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_051119_031611_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_051119_031611_02.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 245
Level 29
Well,this is because the W3 instantly upload the screenshot as .tga.

View attachment 323020

you can imprintpage, go paint, paste, crop, paste here.

Edit: NO! MI WE HAS BEEN CLOSED, AND I LOOSED ALL! It will take time...

save every 5 mins and make copies of the wc3 file.

since you said you lost all, I will put as wip your next upload and not this one. good luck.

RedLord

R

RedLord

I want to participate although the knowledge of mine about these "Water Structure" is very little.

Can you improvise a little bit to me? What I only in mind is a structures surrounded by Waters.

Level 29
I want to participate although the knowledge of mine about these "Water Structure" is very little.

Can you improvise a little bit to me? What I only in mind is a structures surrounded by Waters.

All terraining contest, I think , themes were somehow on the land. Cathedrals, castles, playable desert, cities / civilizations

but now to make things hard for the 20 contest water structures means that at least 1 building should be in the water.

it can be in a lake, river, sea, there can be mountains, there can be a city, a lot of things can be with the water structure. there is a lot of landscaping options and sky.

you can google to get inspiration, here some I reallly like:

another examples, Red Alert 3, water buildings play, and oil rush pc game

what I like of this theme is that it has far much freedom than the cathedral contest.

the water structure can be 1 big or many small (my case), it can be a prison like Alcatraz, a water tower, an oil platform, a shipyard , some sort of militar base, a lake town like the hobbit movie.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-16_9-35-27.png
    upload_2019-5-16_9-35-27.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
  • upload_2019-5-16_9-36-59.png
    upload_2019-5-16_9-36-59.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • upload_2019-5-16_9-37-29.png
    upload_2019-5-16_9-37-29.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 302
  • upload_2019-5-16_9-40-41.png
    upload_2019-5-16_9-40-41.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 283
Level 19
My second WIP. I will create more human influence now.

I could suggest a few things. Get a wider view of your piece. Rn, it's so focused closely on the object, I can't get a good sense of sizes, and volumes.

And the event horizon is lost in this view. It's just too narrow and tight, give it some room.

Here's a lot of landscape art from google.

Level 11
I could suggest a few things. Get a wider view of your piece. Rn, it's so focused closely on the object, I can't get a good sense of sizes, and volumes.

And the event horizon is lost in this view. It's just too narrow and tight, give it some room

You are right thanks. In this other moment, i was using a Bad camera location. Now, I found a point where everything can be seen much more accurately and expanded. However, I'm not sure what you mean by saying "event horizon" The map boundary, perhaps? Beyond that, I can not take my eyes too far away, or the end of the "ice wall" will be noticed, and since this measures twenty kilometers, that is not convenient. The problem lies in my desire to show both the sky and water (the latter, obviously, is mandatory) to be able to locate spaceships. Beyond that, as I said, I found a better place to locate the camera, and I'm somewhat more satisfied with the same. I will post my third WIP using this camera when I finish with some important breakthrough.

Level 29
You are right thanks. In this other moment, i was using a Bad camera location. Now, I found a point where everything can be seen much more accurately and expanded. However, I'm not sure what you mean by saying "event horizon" The map boundary, perhaps? Beyond that, I can not take my eyes too far away, or the end of the "ice wall" will be noticed, and since this measures twenty kilometers, that is not convenient. The problem lies in my desire to show both the sky and water (the latter, obviously, is mandatory) to be able to locate spaceships. Beyond that, as I said, I found a better place to locate the camera, and I'm somewhat more satisfied with the same. I will post my third WIP using this camera when I finish with some important breakthrough.

I would also consider the amount of shnny cristals, to much of them they saturate your eyes, but if you put lets say 1 shinny cristal per 20 rocks it will look more nice I think.

I am already starting to polute the enviroment.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-17_14-19-59.png
    upload_2019-5-17_14-19-59.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Level 19

ahh sorry, it is supposed to be the horizon line, not event horizon. Event horizon is about black holes haha. The horizon line is the horizontal line that depicts the viewer's level of eye. Looking at your screenshot the horizon line is lost between somewhere behind the machine and ice blocks. If you would take a look at this painting which is a renaissance era painting. It is crystal clear where the horizon line is. It goes to infinity and beyond, if you consider most professional landscape art, you can also see this as well, but they are of course more natural and less obvious than this.

Level 11
I would also consider the amount of shnny cristals, to much of them they saturate your eyes, but if you put lets say 1 shinny cristal per 20 rocks it will look more nice I think.
That was exactly my main fear.
Event horizon is about black holes
Note exactly. It is about the growth of the universe, which exceeds the speed of light (maximum achievable speed within the universe) although black holes also influence, since they attract light to its gravitational center.
The horizon line is the horizontal line that depicts the viewer's level of eye. Looking at your screenshot the horizon line is lost between somewhere behind the machine and ice blocks. If you would take a look at this painting which is a renaissance era painting. It is crystal clear where the horizon line is. It goes to infinity and beyond, if you consider most professional landscape art, you can also see this as well, but they are of course more natural and less obvious than this
This will change with the new camera.
I am already starting to polute the enviroment.
you have about three hours before the environmental NGOs fall on you.

RedLord

R

RedLord

I'll stick with my shitz, again.

There.

Attachments

• Midnight Swamp # 20.png
    Midnight Swamp # 20.png
    975.4 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.