• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #15 - Feelings/Emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Getting disqualified was worrying me a little to be honest since I know I deviated a lot from terraining and went more to modeling.
Reading the reply made me change my mind, I now have a new vision. I'll use utm, Talavaj models and my rocks since they're ready for use and look nice. I'll make a terrain like everybody else but I'll still add my shadow trick at places.
I'll still finish the current terrain but I won't use it for my entry because I don't really like it in the sense that it doesn't match this contest, just as a bonus, I'm sure you'll all like the final product!

Edit: Here I go, starting from zero again, this will be my new entry.
210613-albums6274-picture76373.jpg

Oh and, final WIP incoming. This is either my final entry or my final WIP,
depending on whether or not I can be arsed into tweaking smaller details
I don't absolutely love or if anyone else manages to persuade me.
I don't really get what's up with the wooden tiles in the middle of nowhere, I would use stone ones instead. I'm not saying I don't like them, would see stone tiles fitting better in the scene, everything else looks nice to me, your choice!

Last edited:
Still have 5 weeks to do this. I must go edit the terrain that ive made.

I don't really get what's up with the wooden tiles in the middle of nowhere, I would use stone ones instead. I'm not saying I don't like them, would see stone tiles fitting better in the scene, everything else looks nice to me, your choice!

Agreed

Level 16
But I'm not saying it doesn't look interesting like this. I think it will look better if you change them plus your little story seemed somewhat real if it's connected to the terrain compared to that "fake dirt". The dirt and the story don't match! Ok I'm just joking but I'd like to see it changed just my viewpoint.:wink:''

I - Sometimes - like to blab stuff - that doesn't make sense - but it's ok - because I - know I - am A IDIOT - and I'm proud of it!
Don't think too much about it guys this is just my nature!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: A General Idea of something, it's really messy and yeah, I haven't really done anything aside from importing models. The whole concepts looks all messed up but I hope I'll make it work, somehow. I usually get results when I'm close to a final product.
210613-albums6274-picture76420.jpg
You people can laugh if you want! :spell_breaker:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Edit here: Ok I thought I was close to dropping this terrain along with the contest because the picture was looking messy but after adding a sky and changing the lighting, it got my hope up. The light is wc3 engine, not my trick. I'll change it to a light that matches the sky. Hopefully I can now get more into this and start illustrating the emotion I had in mind.
210613-albums6274-picture76431.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76432.jpg

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_112413_233451_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_112413_233451_02.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Wow, that really looks nice. I don't know about the emotion you're going for but it makes me feel calm, makes me want to think about some personal issues and reflect on them alone.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Okay I went a different route.

So far mostly what I've been doing is work glow models to make the rocks seem frost coated.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that WIP. I'm going THIS direction instead.

Attachments

• wipbull.png
    wipbull.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 271
Last edited:

2-P

2-P

Level 8
I like the idea of having the grave part on the edge of the screen, you don't notice it at first even though it's like the most important thing. But right now a lamp post is the focal point, which is kinda not cool at all.

Level 16
He's right about the focal point, try moving it to the character and grave, darken everything else!
---

fladdermasken, there's something about the way you make environments that rivals even scenes with generated fixical lighting, Eye Candy!
---

Yeah, I'm up to "no good"! Started adding my light technique on the foreground and the great thing about it is that it worked with physical accurate lights compared to the other one. It's still in progress and you can see some defects everywhere. I'll also need to give the background more work, haven't touched it for a while. Let's see If I can blow the calm feeling this picture gives to a first class to hell.
(The effects are advanced fade filters, they all work in game. Still working on the other one by the way I want to see how it will look with fake bump.)
210613-albums6274-picture76461.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76463.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76458.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76457.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76459.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76460.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76464.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76465.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76462.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76466.jpg

Attachments

• Castle Light FN_HDR.jpg
    Castle Light FN_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
I'm Afraid .

Ok, I will join . . .

Thanks to xgm.ru for this models .
and also thanks for skeleton models

WIP 1.
226275-albums6794-picture76472.png

WIP 2.
226275-albums6794-picture76473.png

WIP 3.
226275-albums6930-picture76485.png

FINAL ENTRY !!!

226275-albums6930-picture77299.png

-Remove the fog lines .
-Remove 1 tree
-Fix some errors. :D:

ogre_haosis:

The most important in judging is not the beauty of design , But the feelings that represent in the image . All artworks has a feelings or emotion .

Angel of Death

In darkness of the night
I spied him in a tree
Sat I froze by the sight
He was looking at me
The summer's heat became a chill
The angel of death at his kill

My heart skipped with the fright
Blinked my eyes to bet'r see
Glanced back with all my might
Parted he my comp'ny
My chest was quickly pounding still

I did rise and take flight
The fear made me to flee
From darkness into light
To free captivity
Unbinding my soul from his will

Many years since that night
Gazed I on that braz'n be
Mem'ries of still incite
Fears of my slavery
Existence of him makes me ill

Attachments

• Wip 1.png
    Wip 1.png
    908.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Wip 2.png
    Wip 2.png
    560.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Wip 3.png
    Wip 3.png
    573.9 KB · Views: 297
  • I'm Afraid.png
    I'm Afraid.png
    506.8 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Level 34
Not sure how I feel about some of these. I hope I'm not just stuck in the past, but a lot of these don't even feel like wc3 anymore.

Forgive me for my lack of effort on researching/actually reading all of the posts, but are some of you making models for your terrains?

Sir, Check it out my 3rd WIP. I put warden in the darkness to show the warcraft III presence .
And also sir, I am a psychology student and I want to tell to you that If you want to know the feelings of the terrain pictures here, "Feel it, Feel it very well and try to think what feelings represent in the photos here . . " . :D

Level 16
Forgive me for my lack of effort on researching/actually reading all of the posts, but are some of you making models for your terrains?
I was making them in my first version but for my current one I decided to do it like everybody else except for the light\shadow trick. Some of us use nicer looking resources already available like from UTM'S, etc.
Lovin' the square door to the oval doorway.
Lol, haven't even noticed if you didn't pointed it out, was to concentrate on getting the lighting to look pretty. I only used it for... I don't know what. Maybe I won't be having a dor there, not sure.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

AAArgh, I'll probably be coming in with a last minute entry (Blame exams and the laziness factor >.>) Anyway, I really like how sigelang's sky is coming out as well as keiji's makeshift boat. Toby, you might want to add wind effects, those would boost the altitude effect, maybe some birds or other flying critters?

Level 36
Lol, haven't even noticed if you didn't pointed it out, was to concentrate on getting the lighting to look pretty. I only used it for... I don't know what. Maybe I won't be having a dor there, not sure.

I think you should stick with a door, because it's actually fitting, just find a more fitting door :)

And what's the deal with you wanting to make this into something it isn't? This terrain, currently, is a perfect representative of "peace of mind," or "calmness," and I really think you should actually go for that.

I'm also loving the leaves dangling out from that tower over the door, how'd you go about that? Did you make that doodad yourself, or did you use a tree doodad or something?

Level 16
And what's the deal with you wanting to make this into something it isn't? This terrain, currently, is a perfect representative of "peace of mind," or "calmness," and I really think you should actually go for that.
Well, surprisingly the idea was that something else from the start but a calm picture emerged in the process. :eekani: and before I knew it I was looking at a peaceful scene...
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of making 2 versions, a calm one which will include a dor at wich I won't have to work much to finish it and one that gives the exact opposite feeling wichs is going to be more dynamic and interesting. The way I invison it I'm sure it's going to look good. I'll decide on one of the 2 versions which I'll be using for the final entry depending on which looks better, also am still finishing the first one which will be related to the other ones through a story, inspiration that came from reading your thread (I'll comment on that story of yours too but just haven't had the time to do it).
The leaves came from that Ivy generator I mentioned in the rune pack thread. It's not very good because it makes un optimized stuff so I take a screenshot of the leaves from more views and made added them to planes. Probably the red leaf tree that I usually use would of been better but that's about all that's new in the picture aside from the rocks.
Here's the link for it if you can use it, I hardly could!
One warning about it - you have to figure a way to optimize the leaves, it generates more than warcraft 3 can handle!
Ivy Gen

AAArgh, I'll probably be coming in with a last minute entry (Blame exams and the laziness factor >.>) Anyway, I really like how sigelang's sky is coming out as well as keiji's makeshift boat. Toby, you might want to add wind effects, those would boost the altitude effect, maybe some birds or other flying critters?
I'll take into account! ~

Last edited:
Level 36
The leaves came from that Ivy generator I mentioned in the rune pack thread. It's not very good because it makes un optimized stuff so I take a screenshot of the leaves from more views and made added them to planes. Probably the red leaf tree that I usually use would of been better but that's about all that's new in the picture aside from the rocks.
Here's the link for it if you can use it, I hardly could!
One warning about it - you have to figure a way to optimize the leaves, it generates more than warcraft 3 can handle!
Ivy Gen

Wait, what exactly are you saying? You photoshopped it? >.>
Regardless, that link is of utter uselessness to me, I don't know
the first thing about making/applying skins or models myself :p

Level 19
Why haven't I seen this sooner? Got my WE working a while ago, and while all my old terraining maps will have to be remade, this is surely a great escuse to actually do it - I'm in! :)
Don't know what feel I go for - usually I'll find out as the terrain progress :)
This is an old terrain - probably my best work ever, and not an entry if anyone would think so, but might go for something like this again this year. Christmas Eve is closing in on us after all :b

174866-albums3028-picture64232.png
By the way, all current terrains looks awzum, it is no doubt gonna be a difficult round with these ol' rusty skills :b

Why haven't I seen this sooner? Got my WE working a while ago, and while all my old terraining maps will have to be remade, this is surely a great escuse to actually do it - I'm in! :)
Don't know what feel I go for - usually I'll find out as the terrain progress :)
This is an old terrain - probably my best work ever, and not an entry if anyone would think so, but might go for something like this again this year. Christmas Eve is closing in on us after all :b

174866-albums3028-picture64232.png
By the way, all current terrains looks awzum, it is no doubt gonna be a difficult round with these ol' rusty skills :b

Your terrain makes me feel happy . When I see this, I remember my childhood during Christmas .
Sir, Where did you get the reindeer ??? It is very cool .

Level 19
Santa Claus is there in the center under that yellow magical gear-thing, and the reindeers are just tinted deers - the moose, who is actually Ralle, I got from a friend who used it for a personal secret project :)

This is off-topic tho, so can anyone tell me where to find the good old UTM map so I can get started? I totally forgot where it is located after this long time ^^

Edge45, I'm not sure you should be using sunrise for this one. The doodads and ground tiles are way too dark to fit in and look natural, in my opinion, and it is also going against your theme of sadness - you should do something like the afternoon sun, to make it seem more lonely and sad, but not scary and horrifying as during midnight. Just suggestion tho :)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Ohai thar cubes

Without a doubt my most retarded idea ever. This is my final, most likely. Depicting loneliness.

I named this one All My Friends (Are Cubes)...
I guess some of these are technically uploaded to Hive, but not submitted as resources, so whatever.

Enjoy.

EDIT: This is my final instead.

Attachments

• blafurgh.png
    blafurgh.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Without a doubt my most retarded idea ever. This is my final, most likely. Depicting loneliness.

I named this one All My Friends (Are Cubes)...
I guess some of these are technically uploaded to Hive, but not submitted as resources, so whatever.

Enjoy.

[/shameless doublepost]

Loneliness ? I think the feelings that given by picture is happiness.

Level 16
I can see the Idea but sigelang is right, somehow it gives the impression of happiness in a strange way. I was also liking the direction you were going with your first one a lot more.

Don't think I'll get to finish 2 or 3 terrains, might as well finish the current one, haven't had enough time to do anything. Hope I won't have to present myself with a last minute entry.

Level 36
Loneliness ? I think the feelings that given by picture is happiness.

I can see the Idea but sigelang is right, somehow it gives the impression of happiness in a strange way.

Nah, loneliness is more like it.

Oh, and, final entry:

Theme: Tension
- That spine-freezing feeling you've got when you just know something isn't right.

Only off-site doodads I used I think would be the trees from this pack, other than that I also used a slightly edited skull done for me by Frankster. It's basically just a dismounted skull from the skeleton unit topped with a skeleton skin by 67chrome.

Other than those, all are from this site.

Attachments

• Heartbreaking.png
    Heartbreaking.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
Level 16
Yeah, it's true that the character does not express any kind of happiness, actually the message is clear to me. Probably what, sigelang was referring to and what I'm getting from this as well is that the cartoonish look seems a bit funny and gives you a positive emotion contradictory to the actual feeling of the character and theme. Kinda' reminds me of something from my childhood, more accurately a video game like "rayman" making the terrain unique and interesting in this contest. Edit: If I remember rayman there were some sad scenes like the prison scenes for example but because of its art style and satire you could never take it seriously usually ending up enjoying it. Even if I did say I'd like your first terrain and what direction it was going doesn't mean I don't like this one either.
Edit: And I just can't help getting a smile on my face everytime I look at this, something along the line of sadness but at a more enjoyable level, you get the Idea!
What is it with that glow by the way, is there a obscure sun or something there?

Last edited:
Level 19
Nah, loneliness is more like it.

Oh, and, final entry:

Theme: Tension
- That spine-freezing feeling you've got when you just know something isn't right.

Only off-site doodads I used I think would be the trees from this pack, other than that I also used a slightly edited skull done for me by Frankster. It's basically just a dismounted skull from the skeleton unit topped with a skeleton skin by 67chrome.

Other than those, all are from this site.

Do you play GW2?
It looks alot like southern Orr from GW2. It looks almost like an exact copy tbh. Really funny.:) (Not saying that it's not allowed or anything ;) )
Nice terrain! Really cool what you did in the front.

Level 36
Heh, well.

Yes, I've played the game, but I never reached that place, so no, I didn't take any inspiration from Guildwars while making this terrain. I am
flattered, however, to be compared to the terrain designers of that game, as I'm well aware of their creativity and close attention to details.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Hmmm, not a bad start though I would suggest shrinking the grass down a bit and placing some more patches of it, I'd also recommend you don't have the tiles that up close as they're 256x256 nature shows through. The fog is nice, gives a calm and welcoming feeling though maybe giving it a slightly more golden ting and making it denser would be a step in the right direction, in my opinion. Also, some custom rocks would be great to contrast all the greenery you've got going. That's basically what I think, It's good though the camera is a bit too zoomed maybe? You could add more into the perspective but that's entirely your choice. Hope I was helpful. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.