• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #15 - Feelings/Emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
5.png

Surreal-Artworks-Made-by-Xetobyte-fp.jpg

Feelings/Emotions
Brace yourselves, as we embrace in a big emotional hug and secrete sticky pink goo; it's time for a feelings contest!

Participants are to create a terrain that shows or captures an emotion/feeling, e.g. love, happiness, loneliness, anger, etc.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If a submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid any more tears.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • A screenshot showing your final entry.
    • Links to all offsite (not from Hive or WC3C) resources used in the making of the submission
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Imports may be used in the map, provided they can be found in the resource sections of either THW or WC3C.
    Offsite imports may be used provided a link to the resource is posted with the entry.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop).
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Technique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity./15

Aesthetics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./15
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 7th November 2013 and conclude on 25th December 2013, GMT

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Gosh, man, just keepin' it real. Don't be all 'sarc' to my 'asm'. : )

Did I mention that this is the single-best Terraining Contest concept I've heard in a while? I was pretty leery about it as a "modelling" contest theme... And I was right (sorta). It was just really weird. But for Terraining? Game, Set, friggin Match.

Did I mention that this is the single-best Terraining Contest concept I've heard in a while? I was pretty leery about it as a "modelling" contest theme... And I was right (sorta). It was just really weird. But for Terraining? Game, Set, friggin Match.
Agreed, i never seen this kind of theme in terraining.
~~~

This is it! I need good peoples to give suggestions.

-Talavaj's S&S Pack
-Ogre's Ruins Pack
-Warcraft 3 UTM
-Hexus' Elves Pack
-Morpheux's House Kit

attachment.php

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_110813_210604_02.png
    WC3ScrnShot_110813_210604_02.png
    749.7 KB · Views: 2,388
Last edited:
Level 36

I think it's prudent to say that when we devised this theme,
we had no idea of any other contests having the same theme.

Anyway, here's another quick WIP, I'm fooling around with an eclipse idea,
it's not really tweaked out like I want it, yet, but I think I've got something
going, so I'll fool around with it some more.

Yeah, Gilles should judge, if he wants to.

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 329
Level 36
This'll probably be my final WIP before the final entry, with all the easy things dealt with now I've only
got to address all the little matters that'll make this terrain what I want it to be. Wish me luck :p

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 308
All submissions must follow the current theme. If a submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid any more tears.

Did i made it right?

~~~
To your topic
Sadly i dont know two of you (Although youre an old member here) soooooooo ......... "hi there"

130633d1384174437-any-more-ideas-please-wc3scrnshot_111113_205141_02.png

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Did i made it right?
Not sure. As far as I can tell there's no particular emotion being conveyed. The idea of the contest is to convey/represent a(n) feeling/emotion e.g. love, fear, hate, etc. I don't know if you have something up your sleeve, but for now it kinda just looks like a disheveled maze of structures and barrens trees. It reminds me of some of my terrains I scrapped because I kept switching between different ideas and focuses. It made a complete mess of things.

Maybe if you reveal what you actually have in mind for it in terms of theme.

If you don't wanna do it in here, PM me or something.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Hmm, I've stood idle long enough I guess, It's high time I brush up my stash of assets and get back in the saddle. The entries above are all interesting and unique and I'm looking forward to posting my own twist on "the dark theme" ;). Anyway, I'm joining. Will post a WiP soon.

Level 24
Im in
C4bC1sW.jpg

I prefer loneliness and sadness
-----------------------------------------------
There's no way to beat all of you advance terrainers
but im just participating
(I wonder if Sigelang joins)
-----------------------------------------------
I got this question about the contest:
Does the map needed to be Full terrained or Just make a camera
on the map?

Level 16
  • Keiji: I really like what you did there, yours is the darkest them here so far. I remember actually seeing a eclipse like that in the sun 3 years ago. It wasn't from the moon, I believe it was some sort of optical phenomena, there is eve a video on youtube about it. Looked more like a black hole to tell the truth, got me a bit scared back then.
  • Stryderzero: I really liked it at the beginning, especially the sky, it was giving away a certain emotion all by it self but I think you really should stop placing more buildings in the background, put something else there, anything you want but make a darker contrast between it and the frontal buildings, that should do the trick.
  • fladdermasken: I want to win this time even more than you do!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not officially part of this contest until I post a WIP so here it is!
210613-albums6805-picture76112.jpg

Working on that ruined pack gave me the urge of making my my own models for this terrain. I haven't sent anything up yet although I have a solid Idea of what I want. Jumping over the classical way of setting up my fog and lighting first it's going to be all done in 3ds max with the help of the shadow map technique.
210613-albums6274-picture76068.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76069.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76081.jpg
I'll keep updating the model as I work!
The general idea is to make a obscure ruined room in the foreground masking most of the background, ther will be holes that reveal parts of the terrain. Even do it's mostly ideal to leave terrains landscape only, I'll be adding a character which will express emotions like fear mixed up with False Hope, which will be the title of my terrain.

The models are ultra HQ, the sill in progress cliff has a texture of 2000px. Because wc3 loses details which is clearly visible in the models when translating the high poly to low poly texture over large texture bakes where necessary. My computer is weak so I can't render all textures at max resolution thus, textures like secondary occlusion or cavity where rendered at a lower resolution making some details blur out.
Textures up close

210613-albums6805-picture76112.jpg

Models

210613-albums6805-picture76109.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture76111.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, i never seen this kind of theme in terraining.
~~~

This is it! I need good peoples to give suggestions.

-Talavaj's S&S Pack
-Ogre's Ruins Pack
-Warcraft 3 UTM
-Hexus' Elves Pack
-Morpheux's House Kit

attachment.php

Well, here is a suggestion: how about you post some links to the awesome resources you listed (besides UTM, I know where to find it) ?

Actually, that was more of a polite request.

A real suggestion: your wip looks like a nice beginning for loneliness or solitude, somewhere in the plains of a frozen wasteland...

Level 36
Well, here is a suggestion: how about you post some links to the awesome resources you listed (besides UTM, I know where to find it) ?

Some of those, and more, can be found here, under the category "useful resources" at the bottom of the post.

While I guess the rest are found over on XGM.

Don't forget though, folks, that if you use resources that aren't publicly available either on this site or on wc3c then you'll have to provide a link or, if you made the resources yourself, then you'll have to make them publicly available before or when you post your final entry.

Actually, that was more of a polite request.

A real suggestion: your wip looks like a nice beginning for loneliness or solitude, somewhere in the plains of a frozen wasteland...

Sadly this terrain is already dropped and im making another one.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Post them you say? Hmmm, I guess I really have to consider which of my resources to use and showcase here. Anyway, here's a nice little mood setter for my entry. Btw, are modified resources also affected by this rule or is it just for purely hand-made? Disclaimer - The first sentence and half of the second are not mine. It has also been heavily influenced by William Blake.

Will
Angel, angel, burning bright,
in the silence of the night,
losing not the will to fight,
clinging to thine fading light.

What thou hopes for,
why do you go on?
What is there to fight for,
is the light not gone?

Shrouded in darkness grim,
yet, standing still strong.
Strength thine growing dim,
yet, fighting the battle long.

Angel, angel, burning bright,
coming down from such great height,
swinging fiercely with thine scythe,
bringing forth the days of light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 16
Reading that poem actually got me inspired!
I finally decided what do make. The foreground will receive most of the attention while the background will be barely visible through some holes in the wall, the lightning will be that of a dark room with small rays of light passing through the walls. The whole scene will be the embodiment of death and fear, hopelessness and of cours false hope. How am I going to reflect all that? You'll just have to wait and see! The problem this time is the lighting, doesn't want to cooperate no matter how high I set it, gave me some strange results because of rays\ particles disappearing in the models somehow.
210613-albums6274-picture76151.png

210613-albums6274-picture76148.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76149.png

210613-albums6274-picture76150.jpg
210613-albums6274-picture76152.jpg

Attachments

• DARCK emotions_FH - Scene_WC3ScrnShot.png
    DARCK emotions_FH - Scene_WC3ScrnShot.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DARCK emotions_FH - Scene_SC1.jpg
    DARCK emotions_FH - Scene_SC1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DARCK emotions_FH - Scene_SC1A.png
    DARCK emotions_FH - Scene_SC1A.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 189
Reading that poem actually got me inspired!
I finally decided what do make. The foreground will receive most of the attention while the background will be barely visible through some holes in the wall, the lightning will be that of a dark room with small rays of light passing through the walls. The whole scene will be the embodiment of death and fear, hopelessness and of cours false hope. How am I going to reflect all that? You'll just have to wait and see! The problem this time is the lighting, doesn't want to cooperate no matter how high I set it, gave me some strange results because of rays\ particles disappearing in the models somehow.
210613-albums6274-picture76151.png

210613-albums6274-picture76148.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76149.png

210613-albums6274-picture76150.jpg
210613-albums6274-picture76152.jpg

How about we just save ourselves some time and proclaim Toby the winner right away? :D

Level 16
I wish! No matter how many models I make or what tech I use it won't be enough to win a terraining contest simply because there are more people who make the judging with their own personal opinion + the thing that's going to win this contest is mostly the contenders terrainig skill, add into account that there are other contenders that I might have to fear some of which haven't even posted anything yet.

Getting back to the terrain, the lighting just keeps getting more terrible! I'll have to mix different renders which means that I won't get any physically accurate lighting, SAD~!
--------------------------------------

Edit: Some more tests. The lighting is still messed up but I'll concentrate on placing the objects in the scene first and get back to it later because it already gave me brain damage of how many times I changed it. Added the helpless character, might move him closer to the artifact. I'l be adding some monsters and dark things to make the atmosfear threatening. Made some skulls, turned out weird.
210613-albums6274-picture76167.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76166.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76168.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76169.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76171.jpg

Here's the scene flat because I bet you aren't able to see much, especially the character. Should I leave him but naked???

210613-albums6274-picture76170.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76173.png

That's about it for today, I'll leave you with this silly concepts and be back with some real stuff!

Last edited:
Level 16
Me again with a update.
Haven't really made any big progress, putting things in place is a crucial step which I wish I could skip trough.
  • Decided on the camera position to which I'll make some minor tweaks along the way.
  • Added a bird like creature which will be a priest of the damned.
  • The Rock with the tree in the background will have a significant meaning in the scene even if it's a small portion of it.
  • Experimental, some monsters to add tension and make the atmosfear threatening but all they do is crowd the picture unnecessarily making it look like a mess. I'll change them with something more subtle in the scene like less visible dark things creeping in the darkness.
  • I figured out what was wrong with my lighting but unfortunately I can't fix it so I'll have to paint some lights and shadows out of my arse. *Nooo! The accurate lighting is lost!*
Priest of the Damned!

210613-albums6274-picture76332.png

Priest's Robe - still in progress

210613-albums6274-picture76335.jpg

More monsters

210613-albums6274-picture76333.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76338.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76337.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76336.jpg

How the shot will look at max resolution, for you to see a detailed background
210613-albums6274-picture76334.jpg

Move on!

This is just the general idea of my terrain. I got my elements in progress but I'm still far off on arranging them right, hopefully next time I'll get to texture a simple version with light in game.

Level 36
Wait, that entire thing is one big model?
- How, then, can you call it terraining...? >.>

While I know the current rule-set doesn't disallow the making of all the doodads you're
going to use in your terrain yourself, I'm still not sure I like it. See, "Terraining" isn't
about being a good modeler, it's about being a good terrainer. That means using
resources in a creative manner to present a piece of art, not piling together personally
produced models that are going to fit perfectly together.

There's also the fairness aspect to consider, while, again, I know the rule-set allows
you to hold onto your resources til the final piece is posted, I still don't like that
either, because that means you can make or find some absolutely wonderful doodads
that others might have good use of and then wait til the final day to post your final
entry, meaning nobody else will get a chance to benefit from those doodads.

We might want to have a look at how we could change that with the rules, when this
one's over.

Level 16
Yes it's all one big model ---> That's how the shading I want to add works!
I was pretty much certain you might say something like that because I myself realized I completely went from terraining to something else with this room scene. The thing is I wanted to try out something new and I said that the models already existing don't satisfy me so I went and do it making them all from zero.
How about I make something else with models from the UTM or Talavaj's pack but I still want to try it with the Shadow technique which means it's still going to be one big model. Will this be acceptable? I won't be using any models nobody has available and I'll still get to prove my skills as a terrainer regardless of the lighting trick or not, meaning a trick like that should not necessarily give me a advantage over other terrainers. Also I'm still going to finish this version and please take it into consideration. Please do it earlier than the expiration date so that I can choose which image I want for the final entry if you do, If by any chance you approve something like this.
There's also the fairness aspect to consider, while, again, I know the rule-set allows
you to hold onto your resources til the final piece is posted, I still don't like that
either, because that means you can make or find some absolutely wonderful doodads
that others might have good use of and then wait til the final day to post your final
entry, meaning nobody else will get a chance to benefit from those doodads.
Edit: How about I make them available right now? Well, the whole room won't be very useful and both it and the characters are hollow on the other side so I don't see anyone making much use of them but maybe the rocks might and who knows maybe I'm wrong. Will doing this change any minds on the current terrain?

Last edited:
Level 36
I won't approve or disapprove anything, we won't change the rules around mid-contest.
What that all means is that you can go ahead with your idea or anything else you want to
do, I'm just not liking it. And I'm not sure whether the judges will like it or not, but I can't
speak for them, you sure as shit won't be disqualified, but you might not get the best
score, is all.

Oh, and, on the subject of "not liking existing doodads" I get that, I do. Especially when
you think you can make better doodads yourself, but see, that's kind of what makes terraining
great. You've got to be creative about how you use the tools in front of you, if it doesn't
look amazing, there's all kinds of tricks in-editor you can do to make them look better, and
more fitting.

Oh and, final WIP incoming. This is either my final entry or my final WIP,
depending on whether or not I can be arsed into tweaking smaller details
I don't absolutely love or if anyone else manages to persuade me.

He stood on the periphery of a bleak beach, somewhere north from the Scarlet Monastery, looking down upon what could only be described as a mass grave of both man and ship. He squinted, the mist was thick and the rain vigorously cut into their clothes, there was no sign of life, save for a lone raven circling the entourage of bodies. “How is this possible, captain?” A shrivelled whisper came from behind, carried over his shoulder by white frosty smoke, declaring the chill that was but too present in the air.
“How indeed” thought the Captain, for only days past this beach had been a barren, dead seafront along the northern shoreline of the Tirisfal Glades. And now it was decorated by corpses and wrecked ships, yet there had been no reports of battle, invasion or the arriving of an armada this size. Carefully he unsheathed his cutlass and unstrapped his book of spells, falteringly moving forward to inspect this obscene phenomenon.

For more: Black Roses and Poetry of Death.

Attachments

• Heartly Homecoming.png
    Heartly Homecoming.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 262
Status
Not open for further replies.